The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Camouflage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Camouflage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregorius
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Camouflage Reply with quote

Do you think that Normal Imparial Army soldiers should use camouflaged uniforms?
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, no; part of the Empire's modus operandi was to strike fear into the hearts of people with its massive strike forces. Take for example the Death Stars, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, etc; stealth was simply not how they operated as a general rule. That may have changed, however, in the post-Endor loss of power.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both the Imperial and Rebel Alliance armies camoflage and stealth equipment seems more something used more by SpecForces. The Alliance army would bee more likely to use camo than the Imp army outside of the SpecForces, though not to the same extent.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Being camo'ed means you have something to hide and fear... not how the imps were.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case and point - Endor.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were camo clone troopers on Kashyyk, ep 3
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Empire.
Also not Army Troopers.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
firefly01
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Camo Reply with quote

I don't know, .... in my humble opinian I think you would have to go on a case by case base. For the most part i would say no, but in some cases they may have used camo. Imp army troops in a forested area may have had forest BDUs, in a desert setting maybe DCUs, but i would agree they normally dont care about camo. Take stark WHITE stormtroopers on Endor, even the Scouts where in white!
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:
In my opinion, no; part of the Empire's modus operandi was to strike fear into the hearts of people with its massive strike forces. Take for example the Death Stars, Star Destroyers, AT-ATs, etc; stealth was simply not how they operated as a general rule. That may have changed, however, in the post-Endor loss of power.

I think that's certainly true about 99 percent of the time. The Tarkin Doctrine is indeed built around governing by instilling fear. But I'm certain there would be certain missions where stealth would be necessary. My answer would be a conditional yes; Imperials would have need to use camouflage on certain occasions.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Camouflage Reply with quote

Gregorius wrote:
Do you think that Normal Imparial Army soldiers should use camouflaged uniforms?

I think the generals of the Imperial Army would've been disdainful of the use of camouflage for regular Army troopers for the reasons others have already mentioned; "We're the Empire! What do we have to fear from a bunch of Rebel scum?"

That attitude would've taken a serious hit after Endor. As the Empire fragmented, they would've lost the industrial and recruitment base necessary to maintain their forces without regard to casualties. Military officers are a conservative bunch by nature, and change would've been slow and painful, but the military situation in the galaxy post-Endor was quite Darwinian: survival of the fittest. In this case, the fit are those who can adapt to the changing strategic situation. Some evidence of this change in mindset is visible in the Thrawn Era, where TIE Interceptors are now equipped with shield generators.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that pre-Endor life was cheap to the Empire. If it came to a question of spending money to keep the troops safe and saving it, the Empire generally saved the money. Look at fighters like the TIE Avenger. Superior to the TIE Fighter and TIE Interceptor in many ways. Faster, more manuverable, more heavily armed, equipped with a hyperdrive multiplier, and equipped with shields. But it was expensive to produce and saw limited service during the Galatic Civil War, being overshawdowed by it's successor, the TIE Defender, which saw limited use thoughout it's existence. It was cheaper in the Imperial mindset of the time to just give folks pilot training and replace pilots killed in action than it would have been to produce whole wings flying Avengers and Defenders. Even though the shields would have actually given them the chance to keep more fighters and have more pilots develop their skills to such an advantage that they would have been less and less likely to get killed in combat.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: