The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revamped Force Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Revamped Force Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They kind of already do, what with for each DSP your jedi has he gains 1d bonus to force rolls... OR if he ignores the darkside, not only does he not get those bonus dice, but he also gets an inc in the diff level.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
They kind of already do, what with for each DSP your jedi has he gains 1d bonus to force rolls... OR if he ignores the darkside, not only does he not get those bonus dice, but he also gets an inc in the diff level.

Was this related to my post above?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Its not obvious what you are referring too.

My point is that the DSP system is too crude. Theres no middle ground between calling on the DS (as per the raw gaining a force point), automatically risking losing your character and keeping on the light side. The tempation is too easy to resist if you know theres a direct risk you will be losing your character.

This idea is that you can draw small portions of power from the DS, ie a single dice or just a few. On the other hand you will probably not gain a DSP. Actually most probably you will be just fine! I promise.. Twisted Evil
The actual test to see wether you gain a 'mini' DSP or not is not ironed out just yet. It will be a Willpower or Control test though.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Its not obvious what you are referring too.

I just reviewed the thread. It's still not obvious to me.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the lure of the darkside in the book, it mentions that when a jedi who has DSP's uses the force (REGULAR), for each DSP he has earned, he 'can' gain 1 bonus D for the roll which is the dark side luring them. IF they do any action that potentially could get a DSP, while accepting the bonus, they Instantly gain one.
If the jedi wishes to NOT accept the bonus, his difficulty to activate what ever jedi power is higher (iirc 2 categories).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In the lure of the darkside in the book, it mentions that when a jedi who has DSP's uses the force...

I recall the lure of the dark side and am quite fond of it for increasing the toughness of the failed Jedi character (or any unturned force user with a DSP) while making the character more edgy and at risk.

I am just unsure what other post you were comparing, contrasting, or relating the WEG rule to.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in relation to Z's post of
Quote:
When we played WFRP you had a certain number of 'power dice' when casting spells. Much like D6 you had to beat a target number to succeed. I introduced a rule that you could add a number of dice up to your original number of dice if you wanted. The only drawback was that you had to roll an equal amount of 'chaos dice' as the number of extra power dice. Chaos dice had no effect on the casting roll except that they could trigger Tzeentchs Curse* It was always funny to see the mage player fight with his greed for power. I was thinking of something similar for SW D6. A middle ground between calling for the Dark Side in the RAW (ie Force Point) and staying on the narrow path.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
When we played WFRP you had a certain number of 'power dice' when casting spells...

Thanks, now I am clear.

So far the WEG rules on the Dark Side has worked pretty well, though I can see some appeal to the notion of Dark Side pips. But generally the actions I see from the Jedi tends to be more big dramatic acts (for good or ill) more suitable to full DSPs.

I do think pips might be useful for tracking progress during an extended period of attonement. You get DSPs in full D chunks, but you have to attone pip by pip.

Thoughts?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Quote:
When we played WFRP you had a certain number of 'power dice' when casting spells...

Thanks, now I am clear.

So far the WEG rules on the Dark Side has worked pretty well, though I can see some appeal to the notion of Dark Side pips. But generally the actions I see from the Jedi tends to be more big dramatic acts (for good or ill) more suitable to full DSPs.

I do think pips might be useful for tracking progress during an extended period of attonement. You get DSPs in full D chunks, but you have to attone pip by pip.

Thoughts?

The major point is not if you get a full DSP or DSI (Dark Side Inluence which is at least the working name now). That 'mechanic' was not introduced becuase of this 'lure of the DS' idea.

The idea behind DSI is to 'punish' players who border on the DS but do not commit acts which should result in a full DSP. Its more of a way for the GM to keep track of these transgressions. The idea was not to inform the player of these DSI:s (hence no need for a 'cool' name).

The point of the mechanic was to be able to draw upon the DS for lesser power than a full Force Point. 'In game' this would most probably be done unconsiously, even thou OOC its the players decision. The 'bonus' would be that you might get off the hook with no drawbacks, ie if you manage a certain Control or Willpower roll. The 'bonus' from the GMs side is that the players now have a 'grey area' which will tempt them when they are in a tight spot. This is of course the idea behind the mechanic and IMO completely in line with how the DS works..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
This is of course the idea behind the mechanic and IMO completely in line with how the DS works..

I'm not sure I am actually disagreeing with you Z. IIR, it seemed there was a bit more machinery to your house system than I wanted to implement, but I don't know that there was anything there I really disagreed with.

I think we've only had three force using PCs as most players don't play force users and probably only 40-60% of the PCs are even force sensitive. In our campaigns the non-force sensitives are often grey, the force using PCs are not very grey. Their actions are usually pretty well on the bright side of the line with a few exceptions that were clearly over into the black (call on Dark Side to get an extra FP, using a force point to kill someone in anger and vengeance, and acting from fear (albeit to save a loved one) by using the bonus from existing DSPs. The first two deserved a DSP. The last did not add a DSP, but it did interrupt the Jedi's attempt at attonement.

If the player feels that their character might act in anger and outside the Jedi code, the player typically asks to roll willpower to see if their character can find peace and control their anger. In action this works somewhat like what crmcneill proposed, but the decision to roll vs. willpower comes from the player not the GM. I think this has some things in common with your will of the dark side, but again we have it as a player call rather than a GM call.

Several of these DSPs came about by the GM following this rule by Lois McMaster Bujold: "The rule for finding plots for character-centered novels, which is to ask: 'So what's the worst possible thing I can do to *this* guy?' And then do it."
Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: