The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revamped Force Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Revamped Force Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, when creating a new Jedi, how many Force Powers do I get?

Say I put 1 Ability Dice each in Control and Sense, and then follow up with 2 Skill Dice in each, for a total of 3D in each. Do I get one Force Power slot for each 'pip', meaning 9 slots (each Force Power costing a number of slots equal to the number of Force Skills needed to activate it).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Say I put 1 Ability Dice each in Control and Sense, and then follow up with 2 Skill Dice in each, for a total of 3D in each. Do I get one Force Power slot for each 'pip', meaning 9 slots (each Force Power costing a number of slots equal to the number of Force Skills needed to activate it).

That works for me. I like the distinction between the complexity of the various powers. Perhaps you should even make it so that, for a C/S/A power, the adept must improve his Control, Sense and Alter skills by 1 pip each to learn the new ability, to reflect the added complexity. That way, for each of the "single-skill" abilities, you just have to earn 1 pip in the skill in question (for example, if a character wanted to learn Detoxify Poison, he would have to increase his Control by +1). With the "double-skill" abilities, the adept would have to get an increase of +1 in, say, Sense and Alter if he wanted to learn Dim Another's Senses.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is how it is by RAW as is..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Or alternately:
1 Ability Dice only = 3 powers at 1D each
1 Ability Dice + 1 Skill Dice = 6 powers at 2D each
1 Ability Dice + 2 Skill Dice = 9 powers at 3D each

And the powers become skills that separately increase moving forward.

Is that what you are proposing?

If so, I'd like to have the 9 powers/skills at different levels rather than all at 3D each.

Maybe allow the player to move dice between the skills so that they can raise a skill up to +1D by taking away pips or dice from other skills to a minimum of the base attribute of 1D.

So the PC might end up with 2 power/skills at 4D, 4 at 3D, 1 at 2D+2, 1 at 2D+1, and 1 at 2D for example for a total of 9 power/skills with a total of 9x3=27 Dice (or 9x3x3=81 pips) divided amongst the 9 power/skills.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note. for a long time i have house ruled it that as a jedi, you only gain a new force power, when raising a skill UNDER A TUTUOR.. if self teaching, you do not gain any new power. And since most starting templates do not start with a master, they would not gain any more than the base 1,2,3 powers the template gives..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On a related note. for a long time i have house ruled it that as a jedi, you only gain a new force power, when raising a skill UNDER A TUTUOR.. if self teaching, you do not gain any new power. And since most starting templates do not start with a master, they would not gain any more than the base 1,2,3 powers the template gives..

Personally, in light of the general lack of instructors in the Rebellion era, I allow Jedi characters to learn new powers at twice the cost. By which I mean, not only does the character have to pay double the CP cost to advance their skills, they also have to wait every 2 pips to gain a new power, instead of just 1. My rationalization of this is that, as part of the training and meditation inherent in increasing their Force skill on their own, they will also discover and explore new facets of the Force (i.e. Force powers) on their own.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

We tend to treat them as slots that can be saved. While occassionally a Jedi learning on their own may discover a new power, typically they just get the C/S/A increase. Later if they study with a teacher they can learn new powers to up to the level of saved spaces. GM arbitrates whether a new power can be discovered and if so what power that might be. Usually the new power is something that relates to scenarios that preceded the C/S/A increase.

Discovering powers is not always a good thing for the PC. For example, my Jedi has learned Feed Off the Dark Side and Force Lightning by being attacked or by seeing them used by the bad guy in a scenario. This allows the GM to provide those powers as a tempation to my Jedi, without my Jedi explicitly wanting to know those powers or having a master who decided to teach Dark Side powers. Twisted Evil
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another person on this board and I had some ideas about training and Force powers without a tutor:

Increase the difficulty of the Force power by one level if it was learned without a tutor. (Proper training can negate.)
Increase the likelihood of DSPs when using the untutored power. (Without proper guidance, the Padawan is more tempted by the Dark Side.)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Increase the likelihood of DSPs when using the untutored power. (Without proper guidance, the Padawan is more tempted by the Dark Side.)

What method do you use to determine the likelihood of DSPs? For me, that would tie in to my concept of Willpower being used to indicate the character's self control, so increasing the likelihood of a DSP would mean that an untutored power increases the difficulty of the Willpower roll in DSP-risk situations.

Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
What method do you use to determine the likelihood of DSPs? For me, that would tie in to my concept of Willpower being used to indicate the character's self control, so increasing the likelihood of a DSP would mean that an untutored power increases the difficulty of the Willpower roll in DSP-risk situations.

Temptation on my games usually means I dangle an extra die (usually black) and whisper something to the PC like: "You know you want this... C'mon all ya gotta do is say yes... It only costs you one measly Dark Side Point... It's not tough... just give in... you know you want to... You may not succeed without it... give it a try..." Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Temptation on my games usually means I dangle an extra die (usually black) and whisper something to the PC like: "You know you want this... C'mon all ya gotta do is say yes... It only costs you one measly Dark Side Point... It's not tough... just give in... you know you want to... You may not succeed without it... give it a try..." Twisted Evil

Ouch. Evil! Me likey!

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which is how it is by RAW as is..

Well, that was my question. I didnt really get the RAW starting number of force powers. I needed the RAW number as a starting point to compare my system with.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Another person on this board and I had some ideas about training and Force powers without a tutor:

Increase the difficulty of the Force power by one level if it was learned without a tutor. (Proper training can negate.)

Nah, too much bother to keep track of which powers were learned by a tutor and which werent. As I play pre Ep IV tutors are a bit hard to come by...

However, some kind of Willpower/Jedi Lore test could perhaps be required to avoid something unpleasant. I have the same system when learning from someone with a DSP or if you have a DSP as a teacher.

Given the fact that I have introduced 'mini DSPs' or 'DSP pips' (sorry, no name for the mechanic yet) learning a force power the 'wrong way' might get you one of those (its essentially 1/3 of a DSP. Game-mechanic wise they tie in to my Will of the Dark Side rule as 'pips', otherwise they have no real effect except putting the jedi a bit closer to the Dark Side).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

When we played WFRP you had a certain number of 'power dice' when casting spells. Much like D6 you had to beat a target number to succeed. I introduced a rule that you could add a number of dice up to your original number of dice if you wanted. The only drawback was that you had to roll an equal amount of 'chaos dice' as the number of extra power dice. Chaos dice had no effect on the casting roll except that they could trigger Tzeentchs Curse* It was always funny to see the mage player fight with his greed for power. I was thinking of something similar for SW D6. A middle ground between calling for the Dark Side in the RAW (ie Force Point) and staying on the narrow path. Perhaps just drawing slightly on the Dark Side (ie, one or two extra dice) would be better mechanic for tempting player. They might manage it without going down the journey to the dark side. If you want to tempt your player with a few dice, its much more effective if the outcome isnt decided beforehand (ie gaining a DSP).

*When casting spells if you rolled two or more 1:s you trigger Tzeentchs Curse. This starts (at 2 1:s) with some mild effect like spooky voices, caster glows red, etc (which in a supersticios fantasy-europe can really be a bad thing). The more ones, the worse the effects. After a while possession, magical blowack, diabolic visions and such pop up. Being sucked into the realm of chaos meant rolling up a new character.

Tzeentch of course being the chaos god of magic & change if you are not into the Warhammer world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: