The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Double lightsabers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Double lightsabers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Personally, I really dislike the idea of using specializations to represent difficult skill sets like this. I've seen the same thing done for lightsaber forms and it just doesn't make sense. The use of Advanced skills for these concepts is much more appropriate.

There does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between wielding two weapons and studying medicine or becoming an engineer.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Of course, note that the single-handed fighter is really, really good and has apparently adapted the Capo Ferro style to fighting against a longsword.

But has the enemy studied his Agrippa?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:
TO me, when i gm, i have wielding ANY melee weapon in pairs as being double the MAPS for doing so. ..

So basically you might as well drop the extra weapon and instead attack a few more times?

Effectively yes..

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense. A weapon is a weapon. Dividing your attention is dividing your attention. Right now I could wield a rapier and dagger almost without thought, the natural reactions I've developed make it easier for me to fight with them much more so than if I was fighting with a single rapier (or even with a rapier and buckler). I'm still getting the hang of double rapier (given that it's not my primary combination), but the more I do it, the less attention it takes to do it effectively.

Having actually SHOT two pistols at the same time, and tried to fight with 2 daggers/sticks (escrema training) the former is a heck of alot easier (hence the no penalties)..

THe only times i see it more beneficial o dual wield over using 1 weapon and making multiple attacks are
1) When your weapon actually has a fire rate of only 1 (or is low) and you want to shot more often
2) when the weapon you have gives recoil penalties when shooting more than once
3) disarm is harder since they have to succeed twice
4)if you break one you still have the other.
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use "Dual Wielding" as an advanced skill and it allows your character to perform two attacks with one attack action at no penalty. Thus if you take 2 attack actions you are making 4 attacks with a MAP of -1D to all four attacks.

Yes this is very simplified, but its star wars. The mechanics will not always mirror real life. I have characters that can get shot by tanks or cut the leg off an AT-AT. That's not very realistic either, but that's what makes the game fun Very Happy

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusk BloodFlail wrote:
We use "Dual Wielding" as an advanced skill and it allows your character to perform two attacks with one attack action at no penalty. Thus if you take 2 attack actions you are making 4 attacks with a MAP of -1D to all four attacks.

Yes this is very simplified, but its star wars. The mechanics will not always mirror real life. I have characters that can get shot by tanks or cut the leg off an AT-AT. That's not very realistic either, but that's what makes the game fun Very Happy

This is how I do Blasters and the like. But I feel that this rule doesnt really fit close combat.

BTW: The 'effective skill level' when using two blasters is the average of Blasters and the Advanced skill Dual Blasters.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tusk BloodFlail wrote:

Adding two additional actions makes sense, though I'd still have to do the CP cost to see when it would no longer be worth the advancement cost. That's the problem with advanced skills to get additional attacks, there will be a point of diminishing return.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Adding two additional actions makes sense, though I'd still have to do the CP cost to see when it would no longer be worth the advancement cost. That's the problem with advanced skills to get additional attacks, there will be a point of diminishing return.

Thats the problem with the D6 system in this case. In other RPGs two weapons might give you access to more attacks that otherwise are not availible, which takes the whole thing away from min/maxing. Thats why I was trying to come up with something that wasnt so easy to convert into CPs.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage to dual wielding two pistols is the increased rate of fire. Particularly at short range. Look at the original fight between Jango Fett and Obi-Wan.

Personally I think a specialization is the perfect way to go with dual wielding, melee or range.

Being able to dual wield blaster pistols does not improve my ability to shoot blaster rifles or carbines or even a single blaster pistol. It's a specialized skill that should not cost as much or more to improve than my general blaster skill.

Personally I just give dual wielding melee weapons a higher difficulty rating and let the MAPs handle the rest of the difficulty involved. In this situation letting the player improve the skill at 1/2 CP cost of the general skill is the only way the can keep up.

The advantage I would give to dual wielding is that they can make two attacks on targets in the same arc during their first attack. In other words they wouldn't have to wait for everyone to go before they got to swing their second weapon.

Here are some examples where I will be rolling the dice and recording it here. In this example my melee combat and parry are both at 5D.

Let's say I want to make two attacks with a single vibro-knife. It's a moderate difficulty of 13. I'm taking 2 actions so I drop my melee combat from 5D to 4D. Average roll on 4D is 14, so I'm fairly confident here. I make my first roll, a 15. I hit, roll for damage, the target survives and attacks me. I make a reactionary melee parry to their attack, dropping my die roll to 3D. I manage to parry their attack, just barely, with a 13. I take my second attack, rolling 3D and get an 11, missing.

Now let's say I'm dual wielding vibro-knives. It's a moderate difficulty of 13 but because I'm dual wielding the GM increases the difficulty level by one and now I'm at 18. I'm attacking twice on the same target so I drop my melee combat from 5D to 4D. I make my first roll, an 11. I miss with the first attack. Because I'm dual wielding and attacking the same target (who is obviously in range and in the same combat arc as the first target) I get to make a second attack before my opponent goes. I roll a 12. I miss again. The opponent attacks and I make a reactionary parry at 3D of 16 and I parry the attack.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice example Kytross. So the advantage is the character might hit twice before his opponent's next action, but his base chance to hit is lower.

This seems balanced in the 5D range. But it seems like an 8D skill would have an advantage by having two weapon skill.

Two attacks drops the attack from 8D to 7D. The difficulty to hit is 18 for dual wielding. The first attack roll is a 19, a hit. Second (simultaneous) attack roll is a 25, which is also a hit. The opponent is dead before he can strike a return blow.

If one uses the Haste house rule, the effect is pretty similar without needing a two weapon skill. Declare one level of haste, plus two attacks. Start with a 5D skill three actions reduces this 3D skill and both attacks are at moderate difficulty 13. Also, both attacks occur before the opponent's attack. Likely result, one miss and one hit. Similar to your original example. Downside, is the return parry will be at only 2D. Upside, the player declaring haste can go first even if he lost the initiative roll.

Just my two credits. Given the MAPs rules in the rules as written, I think it is difficult (and may impossible) to add a two weapon skill that provides a useful benefit with an appropriate CP cost. I tend to just let players use two weapons for color, but don't really change the game effect. The only exception is an NPC who carried flintlock black-powder pistols. Since the fire rate was so low, he had an advantage in firing two pistols at once. Not much of an advantage compared to a blaster pistol, though. Laughing
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea. You can train to earn a special ability. Spend 10 CP to get a free defensive action for dual wielding. Spend another 15 CP to get an extra defensive or offensive action. Spend another 20 and you get two attacks before incurring MAPs. (Or make a 5, 10, and 15... I'm not really sure what the cost would/should be.)

The down side of that idea is that there is no precedent for purchasing special abilities in D6. It is also likely to be reviled by many as it starts to look like getting feats on a level up. Though, it does reflect a level of training with your weapon of choice without being subject to diminishing returns in the long run.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why i see dual wielding as an advanced skill, since if left at a specialty, it becomes to easy (half cost to advance) to get good at to where they can overwhelm someone of similar skill. Where as having it as an advanced skill makes it harder to be that good...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Here's an idea. You can train to earn a special ability. Spend 10 CP to get a free defensive action for dual wielding. Spend another 15 CP to get an extra defensive or offensive action. Spend another 20 and you get two attacks before incurring MAPs. (Or make a 5, 10, and 15... I'm not really sure what the cost would/should be.)

The down side of that idea is that there is no precedent for purchasing special abilities in D6. It is also likely to be reviled by many as it starts to look like getting feats on a level up. Though, it does reflect a level of training with your weapon of choice without being subject to diminishing returns in the long run.

Well, actually there is, force powers. As this is (at least atm) tied only to lightsaber combat the logical leap to 'special abilities' tied to lightsaber combat is not that far.

Can you say on a very simplistic note that the main advantage of using two lightsabers would be that they are hard to defend against when making several attacks(mechanics aside)?

Im probably going with a 'duelling blades' variant (slightly evolved). This means that combatants will not be making several attacks, meaning we do not end up at the 'free attacks vs multiple attack' problem above.

To this system it will be simpler to tie in 'special abilities' as there will allready be different stances (Standrad, Defensive, Offensive, Overwhelming, etc). As 'multiple attacks' will be represented by the Overwhelming Attacks stance for example, you can have some results only reached by using two sabers.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then you have the question as to why you would have to use the Force to wield two vibroblades.

BTW, we did some trials of two single-handed swords vs. a two-handed sword the other night. It got very messy. I can give you details if you'd like.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rules we used (and one must understand that having rules already skews the matter, as I won't do some things that I'd do in an actual fight since it would likely lead to the injury of my friend or damage of his equipment), a reasonably good swordsman had a distinct advantage with two blades. Though the two-handed blade allowed for more control of the opponent's blades, it was too difficult to try to control both blades long enough to establish a good cut. (This isn't to say that the two-hander didn't get a few good kills in, but just that the dual wielder had an advantage.)

If the dual wielder was less experienced with dual wielding, he fought even worse than if he had only a single blade. The two blades were a challenge to control, but it could certainly be done.

Note that there were a number of factors involved, not just skill and number of blades wielded, but I think to delve into those would really complicate the conversation, though I could elaborate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: