The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: Storytelling System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Star Wars: Storytelling System Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Star Wars: Storytelling System Reply with quote

Hello, I guess that this should be posted in the house rules section of the forums.
I am very interested in re-doing the Star Wars role playing game using the Storytelling System that was created for the World of Darkness gameline by White Wolf CCP.
I am looking for anything that anyone else has already put together for this. I am not necessarily looking for a full "translation" or rules but rather to have the Star Wars universe re-done using the Storytelling System rules.

please hit me up at my e-mail at timothyhimes at yahoo dot com.
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a few days or so and no replies. I know that others have tried to do this, i found one translation that Mr. Gone did and is available on his website at rocksolidshells.com I also found a translation that someone else did for the Exalted system... but still these are severely lacking what I was looking for.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unfamiliar with the Storytelling System that was created for the World of Darkness gameline by White Wolf, hence nothing to say here. Good luck finding others who have something to contribute. Smile
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be much help either; I've run Mage once with severe house-rule torquing and Star Wars (or any other D6) never, though I'm looking to run a D6SW game a couple years from now. Never seen a translation such as you describe.

Could you be more specific in the ways Mr. Gone falls short of your needs? Maybe we can toss out suggestions to fill the conceptual gaps. Don't expect too much aid when it comes to grinding out stats for weapons, vehicles, races, and the like; that's a job for the enthusiast who wants them badly enough to do the work. There's a lot of universe to redo.

Attributes are already done. Pounding out something workable for skills and resources seems simple enough. Force powers might be a bit of a headache, but doable. Treat them like arete: stand alone without being attached to attributes or other ranked stats. Without a team of serious playtesters, any translation you come up with will have holes, but that's homebrew for you.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the D6 Legend system which is essentially the Storyteller system, but uses a d6 instead of a d10 for resolution.

I dunno if that helps or not... you'd have to step from SWd6 to D6 Legend to Storyteller.
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of D6 legend, I'll have to look that up.

As for the other replies, thanks....

The Storytelling System is a D10 system where you roll a number of dice equal to your attribute score, plus your skill score, plus your equipment bonus, plus or minus the modifiers.

If you try www.4shared.com you can download the World of Darkness core book and all that for free. I know... but I use it when I want to buy a book so that I can preview it and see if I actually want to pay money on it or not. With a lot of game stores not carrying West End games starwars, I turned to 4shared and found a LOT of material.
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok. I did some more searching and still find nothing concrete online for a Storytelling System set up for Star Wars.

Those reading this, I highly suggest that you take a good hard look at the storytelling system. It was produced for white wolf's World of Darkness setting.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the Story Teller system, but to my mind the D6 system is better.
I played a LOT of Vampire, and we found that the more dice you throw, the greater the chance of failure (or the dreaded botch), by and large.

Still, a Star Wars version of the rules is interesting, so best of luck.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Wolf Storyteller isn't well suited to the Star Wars setting, imo. Like Urban, I've played plenty of Vampire, Mage, Changeling, etc., and while pretty nice, it does have its flaws.

The closest system that would work, with modification, would be the Mage system. Mechanically, the core rules for the D10 Storyteller could be ported over to work with characters in the setting alright... change some skills around, and it'll work ok... but the Force would be troublesome with any of the existing supernatural ability systems, or anything else I can really think of off the top of my head within a Storyteller context. While something like the Mage magic system can work, it would take a lot of work to fit within the Star Wars context.

Similarly, vehicles are an area where Storyteller really falls flat. Given that that's a really important aspect of Star Wars for a lot of people, the system would need some extensive revision to work with the setting. Any ideas how to handle that?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I don't mind the Story Teller system, but to my mind the D6 system is better.
I played a LOT of Vampire, and we found that the more dice you throw, the greater the chance of failure (or the dreaded botch), by and large.

Still, a Star Wars version of the rules is interesting, so best of luck.

In the new versions of the storyteller system (of which Exalted was the first) that has been corrected. With ones no longer removing successes and difficulty being set by the number of successes rolled rather than the number you roll (IE roll four eights on six ten sided dice rather than roll one ten on the same dicepool) the more dice you rolled the more successes you tended to get.

Ankhanu is right however, the supernatural systems wouldn't emulate the Force well and the vehicle system needs work.

I run a homebrew RPG based on the storyteller system (since that was what everyone in my group knew) and I'm gradually trying to include more and more aspects of D6 into it.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
In the new versions of the storyteller system (of which Exalted was the first) that has been corrected. With ones no longer removing successes and difficulty being set by the number of successes rolled rather than the number you roll (IE roll four eights on six ten sided dice rather than roll one ten on the same dicepool) the more dice you rolled the more successes you tended to get.

That does sound better. I haven't tried any of the new versions, and had actually forgotten about them!
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the new "Storytelling" System white wolf fixed a large number of the problematic situations that were present in the old "Storyteller" system. The names shouldn't be confused because they are actually two different systems.
Exalted, Scion, and World of Darkness all function in slightly different systems with various permutations based on setting.

The system that I am targeting is the Storytelling system, primarily using the Hunter: The Vigil arrangement as a system basis. The basics stay the say but Hunter offers a lot MORE for the game. In addition to that, White Wolf also recently released "World of Darkness: Mirrors" which is a system hack book that gives a number of ideas for changing the rules around to better suit the setting in which you want to use them. This coming January, white wolf will also be releasing the much anticipated "Sci Fi Shard" that was originally supposed to be included in the Mirrors book but was edited out.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the new way of doing things make it easier to match different settings together? Running cross-over elements was a bit of a pain previously.

Oh, and stop tempting me to check it out!!!!
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new world of darkness makes it a lot easier for crossovers because it was designed to do just that. The system as a whole has been greatly streamlined and they ironed out a great deal of the problems with the system.
If your interested in checking it out before buying it, I suggest going to www.4shared.com and then type in world of darkness. You can find the core book there as well as just about every book they ever published. I use that site to figure out if I actually want to spend money on buying the books or not.
Recently, they also released "Mirrors" and in January the "Sci Fi Shard" will be released in PDF.
You can find out more about that stuff at the World of Darkness forums if you would like or through wikipedia.

www.white-wolf.com

anyhow... I'm still wanting to do this but getting annoyed...
timothyhimes
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checking in...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: