The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Parrying blaster shots..a new angle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Parrying blaster shots..a new angle Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Parrying blaster shots..a new angle Reply with quote

I have earlier tried to adress the rather odd fact that parrying one blaster shot is as easy as parrying 1000, ie that parrying blaster shots gives you a static defence no matter how many shoots at you. This combined with the bucket of dice the Jedi roll for defence makes this a bit boring. However its the illogical nature of this defence that bugged me the most (the same applies to parrying close combat attacks, but usually you are not attacked by as large number of foes as can easily shoot at you). I was working on a system where you could parry up to your Sense number of shots per 'parrying action'. Still powerful and in most cases it wouldnt make any difference, but at least you cannot walk right into 100 stormtroppers laughing at them.

Just now, while I was putting my son to bed, it came to me. The problem is twofold. One is the issue with parrying 1000 shots per round, another is the mechanic of parrying in itself. As it is now the 'target number' for parrying is the shooters attack number. This is a very weird way of doing this. If Gallandro shoots a Jedi up his nostril the blaster shot shouldnt be harder to parry than if a bumbling stormtrooper happened to get an accidental hit. The difficulty of parrying a blaster shot should be a fixed difficulty modified by the number of shots fired at the Jedi.

Still working on the details, but I propose that the basic difficulty to parry a blaster shot is Easy. For each additional shot after the first fired at the Jedi in the same round a -2 penalty is applied to the parrying roll. So for example, if the Jedi rolled 16 to parry (TN 10) and was hit 5 times, he would parry the first four but fail to parry the last shot. This system needs only one parrying roll, and after that its easy to subtract the -2 penalty for each successive attack that hits. When the parrying roll goes below 10 the jedi fails to parry.

A jedi might combine Dodge with Parrying to be more effective in his defence. The Dodge will lower the amount of attacks that hits the Jedi and therefore needs to be parried.

Edit: The actual numbers can be altered to suit you view of how effective parrying blaster shots should be. When playing with our earlier GM parrying each blaster shot was a seperate action, making it much harder to parry lots of shots. One way of simulating this would be to only allow Sense to be used for parrying blaster shots.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work... I agree that parrying many shots should be harder than parrying one... but I'm not sure that this version is appropriate. The main thing is that making the base difficulty Easy is that it is too... well, easy to parry a shot (but you did address this in your edit). I don't like the idea of a fixed value either; it cheapens the differences in skill level of opponents. What's it matter whether you're being shot by a nervous henchman or a Dark Trooper when each is just as likely to get through your defense??

Really, the easiest mechanic for reducing the effectiveness of parrying blaster bolts (or taking on lots of non-ranged opponents) is to treat each parry as an action, each incurring a MAP. You might find that a Jedi would change their tactics pretty quick in that case. Of course, this idea could gimp the Jedi a bit much... you could use an idea like the one you proposed, in which the Jedi's Sense or Lightsaber skill level could be a basis for the number of attacks, ie. if you have a Sense of 4D, you can parry attacks in groups of 4 as a single action; 3 blaster shots would count as one action, 5 would count as 2, 10 would count as three, etc., each action incurring MAPs as normal. This would hinder the uberness of the Jedi battle-tank, while not gimping it below what is setting appropriate. Just a thought.

<tongue-in-cheek>
Maybe you should scrap playing WEG Star Wars and just completely rewrite a rulebook... is there a rule that you DON'T want to change in d6??
</tongue-in-cheek>

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about your LS parry is effective against 1 incoming bolt per d in control. Each bolt AFTER imposes a MAP as if all bolts were being redirected (so cont of 5 means you can parry away 5 bolts no prob. BUT if you et shot at a 6th time, ALL 6 bolts incur a MAP.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I don't like the idea of a fixed value either; it cheapens the differences in skill level of opponents. What's it matter whether you're being shot by a nervous henchman or a Dark Trooper when each is just as likely to get through your defense??

Yeah, my 'gut feeling' was the same, but try to make a case why one should be harder than the other (other than plot) Wink
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hows about your LS parry is effective against 1 incoming bolt per d in control. Each bolt AFTER imposes a MAP as if all bolts were being redirected (so cont of 5 means you can parry away 5 bolts no prob. BUT if you et shot at a 6th time, ALL 6 bolts incur a MAP.

Even if I used other numbers I had been trying to come up with a similar system when it occured to me how 'wrong' the basic idea of parrying vs the attackers blaster skill roll was. But if you want to keep the RAW idea but modify it this sounds like a reasonable way of doing it. A bit harsher than my original idea in that direction, but that probably was because I was still in the RAW 'parry merry land'.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Really, the easiest mechanic for reducing the effectiveness of parrying blaster bolts (or taking on lots of non-ranged opponents) is to treat each parry as an action, each incurring a MAP. You might find that a Jedi would change their tactics pretty quick in that case.

As pointed out in the OP this was how we did it earlier (1st ed) and then NO ONE parried, instead all Jedis had only high Dodge scores. I wanted to change that, but instead I found the 2nd ed RAW rules 'overpowered' and Jedis became more or less untouchable even rather early characters.

If I would go this way I would perhaps find a 'middle ground' between you suggestion above and gharkals below.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
<tongue-in-cheek>
Maybe you should scrap playing WEG Star Wars and just completely rewrite a rulebook... is there a rule that you DON'T want to change in d6??
<tongue-in-cheek>

Im more of a tweaker. Ill gladly change rules as long as one can keep the simplicity. If new numbers are brought into play then the 'crunching' must be very lite, hence the easy to figure ou -2/shot with no need for more rolling.

And its not just D6, I cant resist tweaking any game I get my hands on. After decades of roleplaying I usually instictly get a feeling for what Im after. In the D6 case the problem is mostly trying to figure out a way of doing it withouth complicating the mechanics too much.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD proposes a rules tweak that a Jedi can parry up to sense D shots as a single action and each additional group of sense D shots is an additional action with corresponding MAPs.

I haven’t had a problem with 1000 or even 100 blaster shots directed at a single Jedi, but in theory I can see the issue. And even if only 10 or 20 shots are aimed at the Jedi, it seems reasonable that parrying would become more difficult. Now this could be accounted for with some system of combined actions, but the RAE rules weakened the efficacy of combined actions.

I think what ZzaphodD proposes has the virtue of being reasonably simple, weakening Jedi vs. many opponents without totally eliminating their ability to fight in a large battle like what we see in the Clone Wars cartoons. I think I like it.

I would use Sense rather than Control, since it seems reasonable that the number of attacks blocked is related to the Jedi’s ability to sense the attack.

BTW we play that the amount of damage from a blast that a Jedi can block is limited by the LS damage (i.e. typically 5D + Control dice). This came out of a Dark Horse comic of Luke parrying a blaster cannon shot and an in game situation where one of my players wanted to parry a AT-ST blaster cannon with her lightsaber. With this addition and ZzaphodD’s rules tweak, Sense governs how many attacks a Jedi can parry and Control governs how powerful a blaster shot a Jedi can parry.

Quote:
A Jedi might combine Dodge with Parrying to be more effective in his defence. The Dodge will lower the amount of attacks that hits the Jedi and therefore needs to be parried.

How would this then work? Obviously it doesn’t work for a full parry or full dodge since that can be your only action. But if the Jedi is being shot at with many shots, the dodge could be used first and then any shots that are above the dodge difficulty could be parried. Obviously this only works if the parry is above the dodge.

Example: Jedi has a dodge of 6D, LS 8D, Sense and Control 6D each. Assume LS combat is up. Jedi gets shot at with a barrage of blaster bolts (say about 50). Rolls dodge gets a 21. Of the 50 shots 13 are greater or equal to 21 (I guess those are accurate opponents). The Jedi ties to parry the remaining 13 shots.

LS combat = 2 actions, dodge +1 actions, parry 6+6+1 shots is +3 actions = total 6 actions = -5 MAPS.

Parry is 8D+6D-5D = 9D assume the Jedi rolls parry of 31 and blocks all the remaining shots.

Compare that to just parrying the shots.

LS combat = 2 actions, parry 8x6+2 shots is 9 actions = total 11 actions = -10 MAPS.

Parry is 8D+6D-10D=4D. Jedi was better off dodging and parrying than parrying alone.

This may need some additional playtesting, but I think this works! Thanks ZzaphodD.

I definitely like the look and feel of the Jedi leaping out of the line of fire of most of the shots and blocking the remaining shots rather than just statically standing or slowly advancing while blocking 50 blaster shots aimed at the Jedi. It also means that with that many shots the Jedi cannot protect others by just standing in front of them and windmilling 50 blaster shots away. He can block 15-20 shots, but not fifty or a hundred.

I think this will even work with my modified Lightsaber Combat rules.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
A Jedi might combine Dodge with Parrying to be more effective in his defence. The Dodge will lower the amount of attacks that hits the Jedi and therefore needs to be parried.

With this rule, the difficulty of hitting the Jedi is determined by either range or dodge, since the parrying roll has nothing to do with the difficulty of hitting the Jedi. Given this dodging, given the right circumstance, will raise the TN needed to hit the Jedi. Hence less shots will hit, meaning less shots to parry.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrying a blaster bolt in my mind means not being hit by it, akin do dodge- which means you only swing at the ones that will hit you. So a Jedi could pretty easily parry 1000 shots if you consider that some would miss, the Jedi would move out of the way of some, and he would block the rest.

I don't like the idea of a set difficulty to parry, I'd rather have the shooter's roll to contend with. Consider this: a blaster attack may not be one pull of the trigger. A practiced shooter may fire one well-aimed shot or several shots at a target he is attacking. I use Jango Fett in AOTC's shooting the Jedi Master (forget his name) at the arena; Jango shot several times with the last shot getting through the Master's defense. Did Jango attack several times or were all the shots one attack? I think an attack can be a number of shots which would increase the difficulty of the Jedi to parry.

IMHO....
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski
Quote:
...I think an attack can be a number of shots which would increase the difficulty of the Jedi to parry.

That makes sense to me and we often play it that way when it seems appropriate or more dramatic. The only game impact really is how quickly the blasters run out of ammo. More of a problem when using heavy blasters and holdouts, but I'm good with that result too. It allows for the possibility of a scene where the PCs are running low on ammo and have to do something (besides just more shooting).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ZzaphodD proposes a rules tweak that a Jedi can parry up to sense D shots as a single action and each additional group of sense D shots is an additional action with corresponding MAPs.

Actually Bren, it was me that made that... and it was not each 'grouping of his sense D,, but the number of shots OVER his sense D..

Quote:
How would this then work? Obviously it doesn’t work for a full parry or full dodge since that can be your only action. But if the Jedi is being shot at with many shots, the dodge could be used first and then any shots that are above the dodge difficulty could be parried. Obviously this only works if the parry is above the dodge.

No. Cause if he is standing there to parry, he is NOT moving around to dodge.. ANd if he is dodging, he is nnot standing there to parry. YOU only get 1 reaction skill against an attack...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Parrying a blaster bolt in my mind means not being hit by it, akin do dodge- which means you only swing at the ones that will hit you. So a Jedi could pretty easily parry 1000 shots if you consider that some would miss, the Jedi would move out of the way of some, and he would block the rest.

I don't like the idea of a set difficulty to parry, I'd rather have the shooter's roll to contend with. Consider this: a blaster attack may not be one pull of the trigger. A practiced shooter may fire one well-aimed shot or several shots at a target he is attacking. I use Jango Fett in AOTC's shooting the Jedi Master (forget his name) at the arena; Jango shot several times with the last shot getting through the Master's defense. Did Jango attack several times or were all the shots one attack? I think an attack can be a number of shots which would increase the difficulty of the Jedi to parry.

IMHO....

But why then isnt dodge part of the equation?

About Jango. Your example fits my rule perfectly. The Jedi is rather easy to hit (ie not dodging or taking cover), parries some shots but eventually he cant keep up with the shots fired at him and fails to parry the last shot.

If a blaster 'attack' is in fact several shots, then rolling really good on the 'to hit roll' should increase the damage, say +1D for each 5 rolled over the difficulty, as more of the shots hit home. This is not the case.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
About Jango. Your example fits my rule perfectly. The Jedi is rather easy to hit (ie not dodging or taking cover), parries some shots but eventually he cant keep up with the shots fired at him and fails to parry the last shot.

It seems to fit your rule, my contention about multiple shots in an attack, and the RAW, in a fashion.

ZzaphodD wrote:
If a blaster 'attack' is in fact several shots, then rolling really good on the 'to hit roll' should increase the damage, say +1D for each 5 rolled over the difficulty, as more of the shots hit home. This is not the case.

Yes it is the case, if you use the optional rules in Rules of Engagement.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Bren Quote:
Quote:

Actually Bren, it was me that made that... and it was not each 'grouping of his sense D,, but the number of shots OVER his sense D..

At the start of the thread ZzaaphodD posted:
Quote:
I have earlier tried to adress the rather odd fact that parrying one blaster shot is as easy as parrying 1000, …

I think this is the post ZzaphodD was referring to and this is what I referred to by the proposed rules tweak.
In the Official Rules -> On reaction skills.. on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:26 pm ZzaphodD Posted:
Quote:
When it comes to parrying blasters with a lightsaber you are basically doing the same, ie more actions to parry several shots. However, if you want Jedis to use this defence, which is very SW:ish, you have to come up with something that balances the fact that parrying 20 shots should be harder than parrying 1 with the fun-factor of having Jedis actually using this defence. I propose that when parrying blasters with a lightsaber you can parry up to Sense number of blaster shots with one action. This way theres a limitation, but its still effective.

garhkal, you proposed a different tweak that also switched from using sense D to control D. I was not commenting on your tweak.
garhkal wrote:
Quote:

What you proposed has two problems for me: (1) low-medium powered Jedi (which are the only ones in our campaign) will not be able to survive battle conditions since they can only parry a few blaster shots without additional penalty; (2) if I understood what you proposed, the penalty once you exceed your control D is too steep. In your example, no penalty to parry 5 shots, -5D penalty to parry 6 shots, that’s a huge difference for one more shot. Note: I have assumed you are using some sort of variant for reaction skills since according to the rules it doesn’t matter how many shots or at what range, reaction dodge and reaction LS parry just replace the range difficulty with the dodge or parry roll. Rather than the Jedi ending up getting hit with the last shot that overloads his defenses, he gets hit with most or even all shots.
I’d probably prefer it if the effect was something like, a Jedi with 5D sense can parry the first 5 shots at normal MAP for a reaction roll (which is typically -1D in RAE), each blaster shot after that incurs an additional MAP, so the 6th shot is -2D, 7th shot is -3D, 8th shot is -4D etc. This would give the effect of that last shot hitting the Jedi. I couldn’t tell from your description if that was what you proposed, but something like that would seem to fit what we see in the movies and would give the effect that higher skill Jedi can parry more blaster shots than lower skill Jedi and NO Jedi can parry 10000 shots.

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Bren Quote:
Quote:

No. Cause if he is standing there to parry, he is NOT moving around to dodge.. ANd if he is dodging, he is nnot standing there to parry. YOU only get 1 reaction skill against an attack...

Sure the rules only give you one reaction skill against any attacks that round, but according to the rules the reaction skill roll applies against all attacks (even if there are 1000 of them). That’s what we are trying to fix here. I was hypothesizing how that might work. In theory, I’m fine if the fix allows the Jedi to both dodge and then parry and that seems in keeping with what I see with the hopping around Jedi in the Clone Wars cartoons.

ZzaphodD
Quote:

We have used the Rules of Engagement fix that jmanski mentioned. I am considering switching to a system where the character can trade off -2D from change to hit for an additional +1D in damage done. Dramatically that could either be a shot to a critical or unprotected area or alternately a hail of blaster shots, one of which hits the target.

The rationale is really similar to melee combat, I don't expect that each melee attack is a single simple swing or stab but possibly a series of moves that culminates (at best) in one chance to do damage. Similarly I see no reason to always assume one blaster attack is a single shot.

Typically I look at this as simple drama or color and would be incined to describe it or have the player describe it in a way that seems most exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: