The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fixing the skypray blastboat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Fixing the skypray blastboat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
The trade off has to come somewhere. The Skypray is as fast and maneuverable as a starfighter, has a weapon that does 10D starfighter scale damage and costs slightly more then a B-wing. For a trade off it has a weaker hull. Makes sense to me that something has to give with all that added mass from the cargo room, crew areas, huge weapons and power generator.

Also, the Skypray wasn't picked up by the Empire or the Republic. There has to be a reason for them to not use such a cheap supership.

If the Skypray was as good as it's stats are and as cheap as it is, then everyone would buy them, every government would use them. All that super secret, super cheap technology that makes them exponentially better then every other mass manufactured craft of its size would be used to remake all the other ships of it's class.

Rather a bit like how experimental technology made the X-Wing the greatest fighter around. Oh wait, that was after the creation of the Skypray by a good twenty years. Odd, how that can that be? It's almost like the Star Wars galaxy is chock full of contradictions.

As it is today that B-wing would hit with every shot availible given the scale difference. Also, that 10D Ion cannon wouldnt hit the B-wing at all. This is to show that the different ships have different roles. However, if you lower the scale of the Skipray to Starfighter with a Capital scale weapon then the to hit advantage/disadvantage would disappear.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkler wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure the empire didn't use them? I recall they have the stats in the Empire Sorce book. Why include the stats if they aren't used by imperials?

Embarassed I had forgotten that.
Imperial Sourcebook 1988
Heir to the Empire 1991
So I guess Zahn was just using the WEG stats. I don't have his books in front of me, but I seem to recall Zahn mentioning that the Skipray was capital scale powerful.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Kirkler wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure the empire didn't use them? I recall they have the stats in the Empire Sorce book. Why include the stats if they aren't used by imperials?

Embarassed I had forgotten that.
Imperial Sourcebook 1988
Heir to the Empire 1991
So I guess Zahn was just using the WEG stats. I don't have his books in front of me, but I seem to recall Zahn mentioning that the Skipray was capital scale powerful.

But I have seen mentioned that they didnt become a huge success with the Empire because they didnt really have use of a ship that was a hybrid between starfighter/capital ship. Because of that the ship was sold on the open market.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i think it was supposed to have been was a SF scale hull/shields, but with the weapon systems power level for a cap ship...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What i think it was supposed to have been was a SF scale hull/shields, but with the weapon systems power level for a cap ship...

I agree with garhkal. I always thought they were sort of like WWII patrol torpedo boats. Fast, fairly maneuverable (starfighter scale dodge), not too tough (starfighter scale hull/shields), with some antistarfighter weapons and at least one weapon that was designed to be capital scale (like the torpedoes on a PT-boat).

All this talk about the skipray reminds me of the fact that the B-wing was supposed to counter Nebulon-B frigates. Maybe the B-wing needs an upgrade to a capital scale weapon as well. What say you to that?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkler wrote:

The Empire had them, as did the New Republic.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the B-Wings ion cannons were underpowered.

And, as a second thought:
ZzaphodD wrote:
As it is today that B-wing would hit with every shot availible given the scale difference. Also, that 10D Ion cannon wouldnt hit the B-wing at all. This is to show that the different ships have different roles. However, if you lower the scale of the Skipray to Starfighter with a Capital scale weapon then the to hit advantage/disadvantage would disappear.

The Skipray's Ion Cannon are Capital scale, so they would have the disadvantage no matter what scale the ship is. And why should it be easier to hit a Skipray than a Stock Light Freighter?
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this ship for the same reasons, my group stumbled on these years ago, and has done nothing but a pain in my arse ever since. I have destroyed numerous ones that they have had over the years one way or another. But my GM partner loved giving them access to new ones, because he knew it would bug me.

and That is why you fail...
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you guys never noticed that the Gamma Assault shuttle is in the same category as a Skipray.

I think people are just forgetting the idea of what was intended of these craft. They weren't meant to be simple throw-away vehicles. Not quite one-of-a-kind, but certainly specialized enough as to be used selectively.

I, personally, like the way the Skipray and the Gamma Assault shuttle are statted up. Makes them something the players don't want to lightly tangle with.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I always thought the B-Wings ion cannons were underpowered.

And, as a second thought:
ZzaphodD wrote:

The Skipray's Ion Cannon are Capital scale, so they would have the disadvantage no matter what scale the ship is. And why should it be easier to hit a Skipray than a Stock Light Freighter?

I dont know why, and I didnt say it should.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All this talk about the skipray reminds me of the fact that the B-wing was supposed to counter Nebulon-B frigates. Maybe the B-wing needs an upgrade to a capital scale weapon as well. What say you to that?

I always thought the ion cannons should have been more damaging, maybe not to full cap scale, but at least in the 7d-8d region, vice 4d..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the main problem is not with the Skipray in itself, thats just the symptom so to speak, its combination of the scale system and the fact that ships have very little concistency if you look at power level, resilience and price.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Quote:
Well, the main problem is not with the Skipray in itself, thats just the symptom so to speak, its combination of the scale system and the fact that ships have very little concistency if you look at power level, resilience and price.

Yeah. Many ships when firing at a mirror image will either do no damage at all without wild fluke luck or will blow the mirror image to bits in 1 or 2 rounds. It would be nice if ships fit into categories with a reasonable increase in offensive/defensive capability as you went from smaller to larger warships e.g. corvette, light cruiser, frigate, cruiser, star destroyer, etc.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

And that was the point of my previous post. The scaling rules are clunky at best.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

And that was the point of my previous post. The scaling rules are clunky at best.

Ah, I thought you somehow were misinterpreting my post before..then we agree then.. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: