The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fixing the skypray blastboat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Fixing the skypray blastboat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Fixing the skypray blastboat Reply with quote

I've made my feelings known about not allowing any capital scale ships that are smaller then 100 meters. 90 meters is the smallest I'll go. Scale represents a significant difference in size which correlates to a significant difference in power output and lift capacity.

A friend of mine wants to run the skypray blastboat and I went off on him: Starfighters already have the maximum damage potential of a ship that size, they represent the highest damage output a 25 meter ship can put out. If there were a powerplant that allowed ships that small to put out capital scale damage, maintain capital scale shields, and allow capital scale armor with no loss in maneuverability or speed, every starfighter and freighter would have one.

So we broke out the stats from Gry's book and took a look at them. He asked me what I would change. Immediately I brought the general scale down from Capital to Starfighter, which fixed most of my complaints. Then I took the one Capital scale weapon, the three firelinked 4D damage Ion cannons, and added a 1/3 fire rate when firelinked, and a 1 fire rate for each individual cannon.

So in my games the Skypray Blastboat is a starfighter scale ship with a capital scale weapon, not a capital scale ship with a lot of starfighter scale weapons. My idea of a capital scale ship with starfighter scale weapons is a correllian gunboat, a lancer frigate or even a Nebulan B.

edited for grammar
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just switch the scale and keep the stats, doesnt the ship become extremely weak?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
If you just switch the scale and keep the stats, doesnt the ship become extremely weak?

Shorrt answer: No

Long answer: No. All the weapons keep the same damage scale. The one capital scale weapon gets a reduced firing rate. The speed stays the same. The big difference is that the hull and shields no longer get the 6D scale bonus.

The more I look this over the more I thinnk that my 'fix' is what the creators intended in the first place. The Skypray Blastboat seems to be designed to e a starfighter scale vehicle with one capital scale weapon.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Shorrt answer: No

Long answer: No. All the weapons keep the same damage scale. The one capital scale weapon gets a reduced firing rate. The speed stays the same. The big difference is that the hull and shields no longer get the 6D scale bonus.

The more I look this over the more I thinnk that my 'fix' is what the creators intended in the first place. The Skypray Blastboat seems to be designed to e a starfighter scale vehicle with one capital scale weapon.

So, you dont see a problem with having a military craft renowned for its power compared to size that is 'softer' than some civilian light freighters? Hull 2D+1 is extremely weak, and 2D in shields is a bit above average civilian level (but not uncommon). Even the severely outdated YT-1210 has Hull 4D and Shields 1D. Even if I can agree that having a total of 10D+1 in damage resistance against a Starfighter class ship is a bit OTT, just dropping the scale ends up at the other end of the power problem.

Id say that a Hull of 4D is about minimum for a sturdy military craft of that size. Its renowned for its powerful shields so the GG6 civilian maximum of 3D should be a minimum here. Id even put it a one or two pips above that to represent why some categorizes it as a capital ship (In Universe). This means that we end up with about 7-8D in Hull+Shields. Very powerful but far less powerful than the 10D+1 from the RAW.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agreed. As it is, if you do drop it down from cap to sf scale, it becomes as flinsy as a tie fighter, with its only 2d+1 hull.
Keeping it at cap, puts its hull at 8d+1...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought about doing something similar and I think I had decided on 5d hull and 3d shields.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is sacrilege, but I thought that might be helpful somehow. This is what the stats for the Skipray Blastboat would look like if we just converted it from d20:

Skipray Blastboat
Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems GAT-12h Skipray
Type: Defense and patrol blastboat
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 25 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: skipray blastboat
Crew: 2 (1 can coordinate), gunners: 2, skeleton:1/+5
Crew Skill: Astrogation 4D, capital ship gunnery 5D, starfighter piloting 4D, starship gunnery 5D+1, starship shields 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: 20 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: 624,000 (new), 250,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Nav Computer: Limited to 4 jumps
Maneuverability: 1D+2 (2D+2 in atmosphere)
Space: 8
Atmosphere: 415; 1,200 kmh
Hull: 7D+2
Shields: 6D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 35/1D
Scan: 60/1D+2
Search: 100/2D
Focus: 3/2D+2
Weapons:
2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked) (Optional Turbolaser has same stats but Capital scale)
Fire Arc: Turret
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 5D
3 Heavy Ion Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 1
Scale: Capital
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D
Heavy Proton Torpedo Launcher (4 carried)
Crew: 1 (same gunner as ion cannon)
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Damage: 10D
Heavy Concussion Missile Launcher (8 missiles carried)
Crew: 1 (same gunner as ion cannon)
Fire Control: 1D
Space range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Damage: 9D
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 84-85), Starships of the Galaxy – Saga Ed. (page 131)

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that is sacrilege. And, on a related note.... HOLY CRAP! 7d+2 hull?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn't be so bad if the shield wasn't another 6D+2 on top of that! I just don't get it why everybody decided that this ship was made of adamantium. What is this supposed to be, the Sun Crusher?!
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
That wouldn't be so bad if the shield wasn't another 6D+2 on top of that! I just don't get it why everybody decided that this ship was made of adamantium. What is this supposed to be, the Sun Crusher?!

+ a bazillion. I never understood why they are so "special". Is it Zahn's fault? Was his book the first appearance?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw Skiprays was Zahn. I think that one is his, but he didn't provide the stats.

The Sun Crusher, one more reason that not everything in the EU makes it into my campaign. Now that abomination was Anderson.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember Zahn's Blastboats being anything epically tough. They were just sort of a Slave I equivalent.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Tried a a Hull of 6D+1 and Sheilds of 3D+2 for Skiprays, I leave it's weapons alone as I sorta picture em similare to a WWII PT-Boat.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trade off has to come somewhere. The Skypray is as fast and maneuverable as a starfighter, has a weapon that does 10D starfighter scale damage and costs slightly more then a B-wing. For a trade off it has a weaker hull. Makes sense to me that something has to give with all that added mass from the cargo room, crew areas, huge weapons and power generator.

Also, the Skypray wasn't picked up by the Empire or the Republic. There has to be a reason for them to not use such a cheap supership.

If the Skypray was as good as it's stats are and as cheap as it is, then everyone would buy them, every government would use them. All that super secret, super cheap technology that makes them exponentially better then every other mass manufactured craft of its size would be used to remake all the other ships of it's class.

Rather a bit like how experimental technology made the X-Wing the greatest fighter around. Oh wait, that was after the creation of the Skypray by a good twenty years. Odd, how that can that be? It's almost like the Star Wars galaxy is chock full of contradictions.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the empire didn't use them? I recall they have the stats in the Empire Sorce book. Why include the stats if they aren't used by imperials?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: