The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mandalorians as player characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Mandalorians as player characters Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I'm still on the side that being Mandalorian is a culture, not a race. In the eras I play, Sith is a creed and a Force using tradition, not a race - and Mandalorian is a culture. And Jedi are borderline daft, and full of contradictions.

I tend to go with the solution that the original Mandalorians may have been a race, they've since been subsumed by human and near-human adoptees who bred into the culture. I use a similar solution for the Sith.

If someone wanted to play a Mandalorian, I'd try to figure out what exactly they were looking for, but I don't see a reason to disallow it.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't perhaps being clear enough, MrNexx. In the eras I tend to play in, which would mostly be the eras covered by the movies and the Clone Wars animated series (all three), Mandalorians belong to a culture.

From Wookieepedia:

Quote:
"The Taung race had suffered heavy losses during the war, and by its end, were generally believed to have drifted into extinction, while leaving their legacy through the Mandalorian culture they had passed on, many of whom referred to the Taung as the Progenitors."

So if we were playing somewhere before the end of the Cold War in ~3600 BBY, I wouldn't have any problems with using Taung. I'd probably give them stats similar to the Tarro.

Same goes for the Sith - starting out as a race, and ending up as a religion over about 4,000 years. One could argue that the Massassi represent the last living remnant of the Sith race, as it seems that there's few prominent members of the Sith race beyond ~2000 BBY.

Actually, I find it poetic that both the Sith and the Mandalorians have followed pretty much the same path from race to religion (or culture), which makes me speculate that the Jedi may have done the same - though whomever the makers of the Tho Yor are might be the beginning of much the same path for the Jedi though on a longer time scale than the Sith and the Mandalorians.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my question is less about the character than it is about the equipment. It's easy enough to just take the Bounty Hunter template and add some Mandalorian seasoning to it.

But not everyone starts out with the same armor as Boba Fett.

So what would you say is acceptable starting equipment for a Mandalorian's battle armor, and how would you go about upgrading it as the character level's up?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the gear on the bounty hunter template is enough. Boba Fett's armor represents a lifetime of customization - or arguably two, given that it seems quite similar to what Jango Fett was using - and is something that isn't doable using 2e rules (if memory serves, I believe that the stats were done using 1e, where one could buy off the Dex penalty with character points).

For some added pizzazz, I guess I would allow any device owned (within reason) to be an armor attachment at no extra cost - given that an independent bounty hunter in GG10 is geared with a blaster rifle, bounty hunter armor (+2D Physical, +1D energy, -1D Dexterity and related), comlink, datapad, heavy blaster pistol, hold-out blaster, knife, macrobinoculars, medpac, syntherope, vibroblade, I'd probably allow either one of the blasters, the comlink, datapad, macrobinoculars, and either the knife or the vibroblade as armor attachments.

Though I suspect I would look into Dredwulf60's armor system if the issue ever came up with any of my groups. http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5906
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I think my question is less about the character than it is about the equipment. It's easy enough to just take the Bounty Hunter template and add some Mandalorian seasoning to it.

But not everyone starts out with the same armor as Boba Fett.

So what would you say is acceptable starting equipment for a Mandalorian's battle armor, and how would you go about upgrading it as the character level's up?

As mandalorians are the focus of my current campaign, I added a lot of 'crunch' to this.

First I developed a system to track a mandalorian character's honour within his clan, with the ability to improve the honour by living life to the mandalorian code.

Then I developed a detailed armor building system that generates a base value that can be compared to the honour rating.

Modifications and upgrades increase the honour rating of the armour.

If at any time the honour rating of the armor and its gizmos and upgrades exceeds the honour rating of the character...the character becomes an increasing pariah within his culture.

It is similar to 'Stolen Valor' ; the character is parading around in honour they don't deserve and will be called out by other mandalorians, given a hard time, and potentially fought.

For reference:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5906&highlight=
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Now that you bring it up, I remember reading that post. I must've been in the middle of something at work and allowed it to slip my mind.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have suits of Mandalorian armor converted in some of the books, I just can't remember off the top of my head which it is. If I remember correctly, the light Beskar'gam armor is essentially Storm Trooper Armor with some modification slots built in.

I'd allow for a Mandalorian Bounty Hunter/Merc Character to start with that sort of stuff, since other than story factors, it's identical to any other armor we see. They also have a separate cost for people inside the culture vs. Black Market.
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a few months late to the party but Figured it was a good enough topic to dive back into.

I've always stood with the Mandalorians being a Culture as many of the rest of you have also said. Typically the base race being Human or Near Human. I've toyed with the idea of having a few Taung hanging about somewhere. Perhaps a very very small number but haven't made up my mind.

As for allowing them as PC's, I've played in two games where I got to be one and it was quite enjoyable. Especially the second campaign, had to go on "Honor Quests" to earn the pieces of my armor. Was tough but fun, I'll never forget the Quest that took me into the Coruscani Undercity. Had to delve down to the surface itself and locate a ancient Taung Ruins. And the banter the Jedi and I had was so much fun, yeah we argued on philosophical points almost every five minutes but there was a mutual respect that rose between us. Shame the game just abruptly ended after about 20 months.

As a GM, I've got a player whose been playing a Arkannian who was raised among the Mandalorians, Orphaned during some pirate activity and taken in by a passing Mando. Has done well playing her Arkanian relatives to get some Genetic manipulations done to make her an even better combatant. Only about....eight sessions in but haven't regretted it. Gave her a very stripped down suit of armor, Combat Jumpsuit really. She got her first Armor mod last game, wrist mounted flame thrower. Over all she's a great player, keeps the Mando'a Language printed out to reference and sprinkle into her Roleplaying.

As far as Armor goes, I found some stuff ages ago, quotes the heavier sets at around +5D Energy and Physical and counts against Lightsabers. Cannot remember where I found it sadly, was back in the olden times of 2003. My plan is to slowly upgrade my PC's armor as time goes on and deeds are accomplished.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd love to play a mando in a game....and i'd allow it too as long as the player wasn't using it as an excuse to be an anti-social jerk or behaving like a murdering psychopath....then again i love the old EU Mandos.....and i just realized this is from august but i'm still posting this !
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks:

Mandalore is a planet, and a culture, and a type of armor, and probably a lot more. In Star Wars: The Clone Wars there were at least four episodes that took place on Mandalore, and it looked to me a lot like just humans who built big cities after mining their moon, then just decorating using a different geometry than Coruscant or Corellia.

If a player wants to be from Mandalore, and seeks out that kind of armor in-game, I have zero problem as a GM allowing that. I would be in control of the speed of that PC's evolution by carefully portioning out CP/FP and gear, just like with any other PC/RPG.
Deacon Rayne
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
That IS my current campaign.

All of the characters are mandalorian. Except one player whose character is currently believed dead. He's filling in by playing a pair of droids.

So...I'd say yes. I allow mandalorian characters in the rise of the empire/rebellion era.

But I will point out that my campaign is based around the mandalorian way of life and is not heroic pulpy Space Opera/ Fantasy. It is gritty underworld based.

I would love to hear more about this. I was a big fan of Karen Traviss' books which went a lot into Mandalorian culture. They fascinate me. I've oft heard them compared to Celts or Picts. I have a player who is going to be portraying a Mandalorian pilot. Since most of them are ground combatants and commandos, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to make a pilot distinctively Mandalorian.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've placed some posts in another thread in the house rules section for you.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7547
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: