The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Average Life Expectancy of your Players Characters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Average Life Expectancy of your Players Characters? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
So walking point is not the most dangerous spot if you are running in gharkal's game. Razz

That depends In my home games, i have..

14 pcs dead from being on point and springing an ambush on the party (they were the first getting hit).
12 pc's dead from flying and getting hit in space combat/air combat.'
7 iirc Total party kills from being in ship combat and getting the craft they were in blown up (16 or more damage over soak is an insta destroy.. all aboard die0.. Heck, one was 40 over.
And for that last one, it brought up one of my fave phrases..
Confunicus says it matter not how many d penalty the enemy has to shoot. you should always dodge a capital scale turbolaser battery shooting at you....
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players can expect their characters to survive alot unless they act extremely stupid, wreck havoc in the campaign, ruin the fun for other players and things like that.

I run a campaign for a group of 12-14 year old buys and my main goal is for them to have fun and enjoy some star wars excitement.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a game for about 4 years, and had 3 characters survive the whole run.
2 others died. Both involved grenades.

1 threw an entire grenade belt at attackers only 3 meters away (I asked him 3 times if he was serious, and even showed him how far 3 meters is). I allowed the dice to decide his fate, and it wasn't good!

The other threw himself on a grenade to protect the rest of the party (strangely, he 'died' in exactly the same way when under going the tests during the Domain of Evil adventure, so the player felt it was always the characters fate to die that way, and was very happy with the the death).
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last 15 years of running SWRPG and the 50 or so characters that have filtered through the game I have 'on screen' killed 10 or less. Now if I have invoked the 'obscure death rule' (They 'died off screen'...) then I bring them back with a back story as to how they survived.

Memorable deaths included...

A dishonored wookie bounty hunter (former pc who tried to destroy the game and sell out his fellow players to Durga the hutt...) getting his comeuppance after being found to be a part of slaving ring. The party Wookie took him on hand to hand and beat him to death barefisted.

A merc character who attempted to betray the party with the player not coming back to resolve the matter. I finished off the subplot by having the players catch up with him. He died in a gunfight in a lone cantina...

An ex-special forces character who (played by the same guy who played the dishonored wookie character mentioned above) fell to the dark side for shooting unarmed people in the back of the head and trying to kill off other members of the party. Killed by sniper fire after kidnapping and trying to sell an npc to a criminal organization.

A jedi turned sith killed battling his nephew in LS combat...

The above mentioned Jedi killed his brother (another former pc) in ls combat which set in motion the plot to redeem or destroy the him...

A winged hitwoman bragged the party was going to make it out of a nasty situation and I Sam Jacksoned her when she got shot and killed immediately there after.

We had an ex-Imperial Assassin who was killed trying to rob a gun store...

A Squid got crushed by a hulking brute who thought he was his 'pet', the brute then carried the squid around in a headlock and had to be dealt with before 'george' (not the squibs name...) could be properly buried.

Had a Quarran Jedi master die from a heart attack causing his student to have to go into combat against the dark jedi villain...

A couple of Jedi mentors bought the farm...(at least 2 different ones in ls combat and one died birthing her cache of eggs)

I faked the death of a Jedi NPC (My original character...) only to have her come back six months later and explain she faked her death to go undercover to locate a major criminal organization and bring the group into the story by giving them the information.

I mentioned (in another post) the smuggler who had went dark side. The group ran into him again when he tried to steal their ship, they were able to disable the ship and it crashed (from 65 feet off the ground as it tried to take off...) someone came running out of the cargo hold on fire and the pc's (thinking it was the smuggler in question...) shot and killed him. The body fell onto land-mines set up nearby and was blown to bits later to be eaten by domesticated Cath Hounds. They later found out that it wasn't the smuggler at all, but another hostage he had aboard their ship and he had snuck out in the confusion...

I think thats it...not a huge list, but certainly a memorable one.
Keith
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of backstabbing in that game. Sure you were not running parinoia Laughing Laughing
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sounds like a lot of backstabbing in that game. Sure you were not running parinoia Laughing Laughing

LOL...at times I wondered...Naw, at times people bringing their RL problems with each other into the game...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
1 threw an entire grenade belt at attackers only 3 meters away.

In our earlier campaign where grenades (especially basic 5D ones) where rather bountiful we had a tendency to put a few in a plastic bag and throw them all at once (given the fact that no-one died by 'normal' grenades).
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: You gotta be careful with grenades! Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Urban Spaceman wrote:
1 threw an entire grenade belt at attackers only 3 meters away.

In our earlier campaign where grenades (especially basic 5D ones) where rather bountiful we had a tendency to put a few in a plastic bag and throw them all at once (given the fact that no-one died by 'normal' grenades).

We had a Tusken Raider bounty hunter in one of the games I ran and during the course of an adventure with his Chevin tech buddy they ran across a slaving operation on some backwater planet. As it turned out the Chev's long missing girlfriend was there and they decided to put the kabosh on the slaving ring (at a slave auction...) at the same time. Problems ensued when one of the slavers pulled a thermal detonator on the Tusken Raider who immediately charged the guy trying to get it away from him. We rolled initiative, the player lost and the thermal detonator went off. The player used his singular force point to survive the detonation (I rolled badly...but these things happen!) and we were all marveling at the fact that he survived the explosion when in a fit of honesty he turned to me and said. 'I have a belt of 5 grenades listed on my character, those would go off too, right?'

I treated the grenades as detonite (5D base for 1 with an additional 1D for each of the others...another 9D in damage!) and this time he uses the last of his character points to stave off death. I announce he was blown through a wall with 4th degree burns over 95% of his body but he survived and was in need of immediate medical attention. The way we played Tusken Raiders was that they were aboriginal humans who had no nose...someone claimed that they cut off their noses (I've looked and never found a reference to this anywhere but in my game...LMAO) so he goes through 2 months of bacta, re-constructive surgery and some cybernetics only to wake up with a nose. The medical droids had no idea he wasn't supposed to have one...LOL

That was the first time the thermal detonator was used in my game, the second time was when the group tried to pull an 'Ocean's eleven' style bank robbery only to have someone else come in and rob the imperial backed bank they were in the middle of robbing and those guys were armed with, you guessed it thermal detonators!

The only other memorable death I had was a Trandoshan bounty hunter (with 1D of knowledge...) who had become the head of a movement to inform the galaxy that it had really been Bossk and not Bobba Fett who had capture Han Solo was about to present his findings (written in crayon on the back of a restaurant place-mat...) to his people when he was shot and killed by a Mandalorian assassin who blew himself up with a thermal detonator. The player wrote a 4 page story about the death of his character and the other pcs reaction to it...LOL.

Keith
Jas378
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting post on the forum a while back..
This particular PC/GM (can't remember which, the memory's hazy), had recently started a new group of characters that played in the same universe as his old group. One of his characters was the son of a character from the older group and at some point had a vision of his father dying (a heroic sacrifice no doubt). Point being, if I have PC's die in any of my games, I like to incorporate it into a story so that I can continue in that same universe, and my PC's feel their character has made a difference there. That's my piece. Smile
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've VERY RARELY seen character deaths when playing or GMing Starwars. I can't say that about D&D, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, or the many other games played over the years, but Starwars never seemed to be much of a blodd bath. With force points and character points used defensively, it was pretty hard to die much of the time.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:
I've VERY RARELY seen character deaths when playing or GMing Starwars. I can't say that about D&D, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, or the many other games played over the years, but Starwars never seemed to be much of a blodd bath. With force points and character points used defensively, it was pretty hard to die much of the time.

Especially when you get GMs who feel for SW, that as the PC's are heroes they should never die.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jas378 wrote:
...I have PC's die in any of my games, I like to incorporate it into a story so that I can continue in that same universe, and my PC's feel their character has made a difference there.
Some recognition is a good thing. A Rebel PC that died heroically in our campaign had a Rebel ship named after her.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Especially when you get GMs who feel for SW, that as the PC's are heroes they should never die.
I watch too much Joss Whedon for that!

Complete Starship Construction System
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kaloth Varsk wrote:

When I ran SW, I didn't feel they can't die, I just didn't go out of my way to kill people. So deaths only happened here and there.

I do recall a pair of awful GM's that were involved in a campaign that included my only Starwars character death as a player. They tag teamed and switched off GMing. Whichever one of them was GMing, their character became an "NPC" for the night (still getting xp of course.) These two character were advanced far beyond the rest of the party, had action focused on them, and they advanced even farther as character points were lavished on each other. One day bountyhunter/assassins killed off the party (with those two miraculously escaping. My character who was in the ship waiting was evidently shot through the cockpit "window" (which the GM said was glass, and that I was crazy for thinking otherwise) with a blaster rifle, which hit me in the head so I was "automatically killed". Somehow the blastershot cauterized the hole in the glass, as the two GM characters had no problem flying off in my ship and exiting into hyperspace.

Instead of letting my first Starwars experience sour me against the game, I started a group the following week, and everyone (except the 2 former GM's who didn't understand why people didn't make new chars to play their game) was much happier.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like those 2 were a bunch of a%%hats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: