The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Guide of Materials that add bonuses to weapons/armor ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A Guide of Materials that add bonuses to weapons/armor ? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: A Guide of Materials that add bonuses to weapons/armor ? Reply with quote

I was simply wondering if their was such a guide?

I understand that not having one adds more to the roleplay aspects of finding such materials but I also tend to think it would be a nice tool for a GM.

If no one knows of one - I may start work on one.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The star wars campaign i am involved in at many conventions in the midwest, has a mineral called 'rheniunm (spelling?)
that when coated on blasters of all sorts (even cap ships) adds 1d to the damage.
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The star wars campaign i am involved in at many conventions in the midwest, has a mineral called 'rheniunm (spelling?)
that when coated on blasters of all sorts (even cap ships) adds 1d to the damage.

Yikes!

How hard/easy/expensive is it to get ahold of? That's a pretty heavily game-altering substance, there.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: A Guide of Materials that add bonuses to weapons/armor ? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
I was simply wondering if their was such a guide?

I understand that not having one adds more to the roleplay aspects of finding such materials but I also tend to think it would be a nice tool for a GM.

If no one knows of one - I may start work on one.

I think its hard to make a list of materials and their bonuses, given the game mechanics of the SW D6.

You could make some examples as guidelines and compare them to 'normal' items. For example
Bounty Hunter Armor, E+2D/P+1D, -1D Dex, 2500 Cr.
Phrik Alloy Hunter Armor, E+4D/P+2D, -1D Dex, 25000 Cr.
or
Light Phrik Hunter Armor, E+2D+2/ P+1D+1, -1 pip Dex, 16500 Cr.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically talking about listing the materials and what types of the bonuses they should apply. Its not really that difficult nor does it need to be that complex.

For Example:

Phrik : Rare Metallic Ore - Incredibly strong and lightweight, with a highly malleable molten state, phrik is highly valued for use in any number of applications. Phrik is known for its ability to disperse electricity, due to this and its high resistance to wear, phrik is one of the few known materials to be able withstand the blow of the fabled lightsaber.

Suggested Stats:
Dex Penalties reduced by 1d (no minimum), +1d Resistance versus Electricity, +1d Resistance versus Lightsabers. Cost x5.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critias wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yikes!

How hard/easy/expensive is it to get ahold of? That's a pretty heavily game-altering substance, there.

In game, there is only 1 planet (under imp rule at this time iirc) that it can be harvested from and it is rather painstaking to mine. About half a pound iirc can be used to coat a single pistol, with a full pound for rifles. Other than that i have no clue on cost etc, as it is not a for sale substance.. In the campaign, only around 50 or so of our characters even have weapons coated by it. Only 1 cap ship gun has it on iirc, the rest are character scale except 3 vehicle blasters (again iirc).
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

And how does a coating on a blaster weapon increase it's damage?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:

And how does a coating on a blaster weapon increase it's damage?

Well, if the colour red makes things go faster... Wink
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao

I could see it if the weapon was made of it and it was superconductive.

or a coating of the focusing chamber or something.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask the module writer who came up with it for more info.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious....
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you're trying to figure out things like with Mithral and Adamantine in d20 D&D (where mithral gives -10% spell failure and adamantine gives 2/- DR on the armor it's made into).

I don't know that there is anything special like that in Star Wars aside the Stygium Crystals that's being used to "Stealth" various ships.

You could always make some. Maybe Mithril Bounty-Hunter armor - gets rid of +2 of the +1D dex penalty - so instead of normal bounty hunter armor that's -1D it's instead -1 and still gives all the various bonuses.

Or if using say Adamantine, increase the physical protection by +2D and energy by +1D - but increase the dex minus by +2 to show it's truly hard to move around in stuff.

Just examples, but off hand I've not seen any "special materials" in the Star Wars universe. It's more focused on the story than the stuff imo.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I'm not trying to incorporate dnd materials. thier already tons of oddity materials in the star wars universe thanks to books, games, and the movies themselves.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Metals

for starters.

I will be updating in the next few days with a list of what I have found so far.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of those actually. Hmm... looks interesting enough! Smile
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah theres numerous categories for materials - including lightsaber resistant materials, and some for natural hides and such.

I've already started on the guide but rewriting it all out as a narrative to the materials as well as known locations and effects - is simply taking some time. Not to mention I also have a some Engineering rule work going on that the guys over at wegfansite are helping with.

once I have that done I hope to post it and get people to submit more fan material such as things they have included in thier games and such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: