The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combined firepower: a consistent approach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combined firepower: a consistent approach Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Combined firepower: a consistent approach Reply with quote

One of the things that has annoyed me about WEG Star Wars are the inconsistent and badly-considered rules for combining firepower. There are several sources for these rules, all conflicting:

The core book, "unlinking weapons" suggests each linked weapon should be worth -1 pip to damage
The core book, "combined actions" tells you to add +1 pip damage or +1 to hit for each additional person firing.
Galaxy Guide 6 says +1D damage for each additional linked weapon.
The Far Orbit Project has "power control" rules that suggest dice may be evenly distributed from any system and spread about any number of other systems, at most +2D to any one system.
In various books, repeating blasters have various effects but usually just do more damage.

All of these systems are inconsistent and have undesirable consequences. For example, following the GG6 suggestion it only takes 24 fire linked heavy blasters to blow up a planet. The other rules aren't any better.

I suggest a single, consistent rule to replace all of the above: For each doubling of firepower or energy applied to a target, the attacker gets EITHER +1D damage OR +1D to attack. Let's see what this rule looks like when applied to the various sub-systems described above:

When fire-linking weapons, every doubling of the number of linked weapons adds +1D damage or +1D fire control. Most starships allow the gunner to switch between these settings at will. Similar rules apply when unlinking weapons. For example, the X-Wing has 4 laser cannons that do 4D each when unlinked. The pilot may add 2D in any combination to either fire control or damage. When linking weapons with different damage, the damage of lower-powered weapons must add up (using the doubling rule) to at least the damage of the highest-damage weapon in order to add a full die. For example, if a starship has one 6D damage cannon, it will need to fire link it to four 4D damage cannons to provide a total damage of 7D. If the number of weapons available isn't a power of 2, round damage down to the nearest pip. For example, fire linking 7 weapons of the same damage would provide +2D+2 damage. Dice may only be removed from the damage to add to fire control in increments of 1D.

Combined actions: when used to command soldiers or gunners, use the fire-linking rules. The total rating in Command determines how many dice and pips can be "fire-linked" together. The person using Command determines how dice are spread between attack and damage.

Power control: Do not use the rules in "The Far Orbit Project". Instead, each weapon has a total amount of energy available determined by its die total. Doubling the amount of energy available (as per the fire-linking rules) adds +1D damage. At GM option, these rules may also be used for other ship systems in a similar manner, i.e. by doubling the amount of energy (dice) a system uses, you add +1D. "Space" movement counts as 2 space/die. In general, weapons and other ship systems cannot safely go beyond +1D energy use per system.

Repeating blasters: These use similar rules to fire-linked weapons. Due to the rapid fire of these weapons, they are effectively already fire-linked. Most such weapons are assumed to fire 4 shots for every 1 that a normal weapon would fire. Thus, the user may use up to 2D damage dice for attack instead. For example, an E-Web may have +2D to attack/6D damage if the user "sprays and prays", +1D/7D, or the normal "focused-fire" effect of +0D/8D. Certain weapons may have faster rates of fire at GM option. Some starship weapons are also "repeating" in this same manner.

These rules have many useful and somewhat more realistic consequences. For example, it can now be determined that a capital-scale weapon is 64 times more energetic than a starfighter-scale weapon of the same damage. Likewise, it now takes 2^24 = 16.8 million fire linked heavy blasters to do 5D death star-scale damage.

What do you think?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe various incoscistiences are problaby due to changes in the rules between edtions.

The doubling approach isn't bad, although I'm not so sure how it would hold up for repeating blasters. They tend to fire more than 4 times as many shots as a stadanrd blaster.
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
THe various incoscistiences are problaby due to changes in the rules between edtions.

The doubling approach isn't bad, although I'm not so sure how it would hold up for repeating blasters. They tend to fire more than 4 times as many shots as a stadanrd blaster.

You could quite easily be right. Unfortunately I could not find a source which gave a good breakdown on "rounds fired per short burst" on these various weapons. Fortunately, that's easy to fix: think it's 8 or more rounds? Then you can switch up to 3D from damage to attack. 16 or more? Then up to 4D, etc. 2D is my suggestion, the exact amount will have to be determined by the GM as we don't have good sources for this (AFAIK). 4-7 rounds seemed reasonable to me, keeping in mind how many times it will be possible to split your action with a +2D attack bonus. Someone with 6D blasters could split 8 times for as many as 8*7=56 shots in a round (and be nearly certain to miss with all of them). It only goes up from there.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is very little inof ofn rates of fires for SW weapons. I know, I did up a formuola for autofire weapons and could only get data for thre Z-6 rotary cannon (166 shots per second, or about 830 shots per round, or about 10000 shots per minute).

For most weapons I ended up using real world weapons as a analogue, figuring that doing so would allow me to use the rule for lower tech weapons like MGs too.

If I got my math right, 166 would be about +7D+1. WHiole admittedly the Z-6 is the extreme example, 7D+1 is a bit much.

How about capping the bonus to half the skill of the shooter to reflect the problems of controlling an autofire weapon? Weapons that are vechile mounted could be limited to the shooter7s full skill value, and weapons that are carred buy braced, limited to 3/4th skill.
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
There is very little inof ofn rates of fires for SW weapons. I know, I did up a formuola for autofire weapons and could only get data for thre Z-6 rotary cannon (166 shots per second, or about 830 shots per round, or about 10000 shots per minute).

For most weapons I ended up using real world weapons as a analogue, figuring that doing so would allow me to use the rule for lower tech weapons like MGs too.

If I got my math right, 166 would be about +7D+1. WHiole admittedly the Z-6 is the extreme example, 7D+1 is a bit much.

How about capping the bonus to half the skill of the shooter to reflect the problems of controlling an autofire weapon? Weapons that are vechile mounted could be limited to the shooter7s full skill value, and weapons that are carred buy braced, limited to 3/4th skill.

There are four ways I might try to solve this problem:

1) Assume that the very high ROF of these weapons is a mistake.

2) Assume that there are many more than just 5 actions available in a round. A skilled shooter (9D) with a high ROF weapon (5D) can shoot as many as 882 shots/round.

3) Assume that "concentrated fire" still means that most shots miss, so the total number of possible "rounds on target" is lower than the ROF would indicate.

4) Realize that this is an RPG and for balance reasons we just can't allow players to make full use of their available firepower, and these rules are still more accurate than most other RPGs. For example, Shadowrun allows at most 15 rounds/action (maybe a total of 45 rounds per 3 seconds for very fast PCs.) using the highest ROF weapons in the game- miniguns. Ultimately, every RPG has rules that bend at the extremes. Hopefully this rule prevents outright breakage.

Any combination of these reasons works for me. Ultimately I suggest GMs just eyeball it and make a reasonable decision about how many dice to use for any particular repeating weapon.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres generally no good way to do autofire in RPGs that keep things playable AND fun.

I played Phoenix Command ages back that came quite close to doing it 'right', but it was neither playable or fun.

Id go for number 4 above, with 1 as a back up.. Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic about combined fire Im not very happy about the current system to begin with.

I know its for simplicitys sake (instead of rolling two damage rolls) but firing 8 docking blasters (Damage 1D) at an armored space ship shouldnt do more damage than a heavy laser cannon.. Its like you cant defeat a tank with 20 light machine guns.

Perhaps rolling damage twice is a better idea. To save up on rolls one might compare the two damage rolls aginst the same Hull roll.
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Back on topic about combined fire Im not very happy about the current system to begin with.

I know its for simplicitys sake (instead of rolling two damage rolls) but firing 8 docking blasters (Damage 1D) at an armored space ship shouldnt do more damage than a heavy laser cannon.. Its like you cant defeat a tank with 20 light machine guns.

Perhaps rolling damage twice is a better idea. To save up on rolls one might compare the two damage rolls aginst the same Hull roll.

8 fire-linked 1D starship-scale weapons would do 4D damage under this system. I actually have no problem with this. Such a "docking gun" system would probably be shorter range and more expensive than a normal starship laser cannon.

To take your tank example... 20 linked light repeating blasters would do 10D+1 damage. There are various vehicles you could call a tank. The "light imperial repulsortank" has 4D+2 speeder-scale hull. Even a heavy blaster pistol could damage it with a few shots, so a barage of light repeater fire would be nearly sure to damage or destroy it. An AT-AT gets 10D to resist character-scale damage, so again I'm not unhappy with the potential result here, keeping mind that these weapons are being coordinated to fire on the same spot.

Oh yes... and if you were to follow the core book rule on this subject (+1 pip damage per extra weapon) you would get 12D+1 character-scale damage for 20 linked light repeating blasters, so that's even worse if you're concerned about linking lots of weapons together for super damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 'current' system I meant RAW..

Sure 4D is better than 8D, but Id still prefer rolling 8D and compare to the hull value. That way no hail of machine guns gonna take out that tank.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasters aren't machine guns though. Machine guns use kinetic force to damage the target and blasters use heat.

I'm pretty weak on the science here but I don't have an issue with several blaster bolts striking the same area at the same time causing a more significant rise in surface temperature than one blaster bolt alone or even several over time.

If the rise in temperature is enough (IE you roll well in damage) I see no reason why you couldn't damage the tank. It's no different than rolling six after six after six on the wild dice.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Blasters aren't machine guns though. Machine guns use kinetic force to damage the target and blasters use heat.

And in this case, rather weak heat. Its still weak force/heat vs heavy armor that in the game is as effective as a tank gun/heavy laser cannon (or more powerful).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
And in this case, rather weak heat. Its still weak force/heat vs heavy armor that in the game is as effective as a tank gun/heavy laser cannon (or more powerful).

I can still imagine the heat based damage stacking better than kinetic based damage. That is how lasers work when they're being used in industrial capacities such as laser cutting.

Dasharr
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be misremembering, but didn't the GG6 rules (2nd ed version) limit the fire-link bonus to 2d (for 3 weapons)? I remember noticing, and a player pointing out, that the fourth laser cannon on an X-wing's quad setup technically didn't do any good according to those rules.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

I can still imagine the heat based damage stacking better than kinetic based damage. That is how lasers work when they're being used in industrial capacities such as laser cutting.

Which is countered by armour made to withstand just heat based damage instead of mainly kinetic.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not really. Even if it is designed to counter heat it will still have a melting point and if that melting point is reached it'll melt and then it'll start to absorb heat more readily. Amour that is designed to counter heat specifically should either have a higher soak vs energy weapons or perhaps just have a higher soak. Either way hit it with enough and you'll still trash it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: