The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combat Rules Ideas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combat Rules Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Combat Rules Ideas Reply with quote

I've put some thought into this, addressing certain rule defficiencies I've found in the D6 system. Some of the rules are poached from other rule systems, but fit well in a D6 campaign

Close Combat – I'm working up a rule where by larger weapons are actually less accurate at Point Blank range, because of their weight and bulk. In such a system, Close Combat indicates a ranged weapon that can be fired at a target at Point Blank range without penalty (Non-Close Combat weapons suffer a penalty for firing at Point-Blank Range, and Slow and/or Heavy rated weapons cannot be used at Point Blank range at all). Ranged weapons that are not designated as Close Combat may still be used as improvised Melee Weapons at Point-Blank Range.

Rapid-Fire – I've never been satisfied with WEG's various attempts at rules for repeating weapons, so here is my idea. When a weapon is capable of automatic fire, express that as a D6 bonus that is applied against any Multi-Action Penalty for firing at multiple targets or multiple shots at the same target in one round (with the MAP increased for firing at additional targets outside of the primary fire arc).

Assault – Some weapons, like shotguns and flamethrowers, are indiscriminate fire weapons. Because of the area-effect nature of these weapons, they receive an automatic bonus to hit additional targets (modified by range), and they always hit at Point-Blank range (No To-Hit roll required, although the target may still avoid the damage with a Full Dodge).

Sustained - If a weapon like a repeating blaster can keep up a constant, sustained rate of fire on a specific target, it should receive a damage bonus based on the number of rounds spent firing at that target. This bonus is capped, except in special cases like cutting torches (which can cut through anything if given enough time).

Slow – Indicates a weapon that cannot be fired on the move, and cannot be moved and fired in the same round. This would be applied to things like portable missile launchers or crew-served repeating blasters

Heavy – Indicates a weapon that is bulky and cumbersome, and the gunner suffers a Move penalty when carrying it. This would also be applied to heavier weapons, and a weapons can be both Slow and Heavy, with compounded effects on firing and set-up.

Carbine – A rifle weapon modified for Close Combat (see above) at the expense of overall range (modifications usually take the form of a shorter barrel and a folding stock)

Just some thoughts I've been batting around. Input? Opinions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: