The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Holocrons...how do they work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Jedi Holocrons...how do they work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Jedi Holocrons...how do they work? Reply with quote

Ok im looking for information on how the Jedi Holocrons work in play. Firstly what are the benefits to them, are they grat store houses of Jedi Lore, Force powers or more?

Secondly how would a jedi study one, does it cost force points, character points or is it free to study and gain knowledge.
Would anyone have information on this, book listed or anything to share?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However you want them to work. Generally you have to be force sensitive to activate one, unless the GM throws out a special holocron. Their pretty much a teaching tool for when you don't have a more advanced Jedi present. Going by the Tales of the Jedi Companion, you're generally supposed to increase CP cost by 50% and training time by 100% when using a holocron or ancient text for teaching purposes So if it cost 2CP and takes two weeks it'd now cost 3CP and take four weeks. I don't strictly adhere to that, though.

Wanted Poster
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally allow a holocron to act as a live teacher, that is if the Jedi can persuade the holocron to teach them anything.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I generally allow a holocron to act as a live teacher, that is if the Jedi can persuade the holocron to teach them anything.

Same.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as well. I have two different versions of holocrons though. There's the Jedi ones that I have as being incredible technology as they are totally interactive teachers with a specific style of programming.

Then there's the Sith ones, where the Sith that created them put a part of themselves into them for them to be able to work (in essence, part of the Sith's soul is in them).

Two different Holocrons, two different ways of doing it, and if you're not careful and you have a Sith one, well, it may teach you the powers by using them on you. =D
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

RP-issues aside, do you handle this with a Jedi Lore test?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've generally done it at GM discretion; when it's useful to story progression. Alternatively some Control/Sense rolls could be used.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from some of the novels, the holocron's do seem to have the capacity to sense when/if someone is worthy (ie has enough dice in his or her force skills) to be taught.. So what ;D; values should they be?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I determine those by plot. If I need someoen to be of a certain character, then they need to have the right number (or lack of) Dark Side points. They have to treat the guardian a certain way, or live their lives in a certain pattern of life.

Most of the ways that I determine such things are beyond simple quantifiable numbers. However, if you want someone to activate a holocron, you may have to have them make Sense or Alter rolls to turn the thing on.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players recently found a Sith Holocron and decided to access it. Neither of them had any DSP, and the "Gatekeeper" needed them to prove themsevles by opening up to the power of the darkside, let their anger flow through them and what have you.

What that meant, from a mechanic point-of-view, was that they had to have at least one Dark Side Point before they could access the device.

Let me make you a picture!
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
My players recently found a Sith Holocron and decided to access it. Neither of them had any DSP, and the "Gatekeeper" needed them to prove themsevles by opening up to the power of the darkside, let their anger flow through them and what have you.

What that meant, from a mechanic point-of-view, was that they had to have at least one Dark Side Point before they could access the device.

Heck, at that point, why not just dangle a nice, black six-sider under their nose and say "all you have to do to access the holocron is give in to your emotions right now... it's so easy... all the secrets are within your grasp... c'mon you know you want to! Your friends will want the secrets to... but they are just for you and you alone."

I would grant them a DSP for doing this, of course, but I'm kinda evil that way. Twisted Evil
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually, to an extent, how the conversation went -- black D6 and all.

Let me make you a picture!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: