The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I want to have all the fun stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> I want to have all the fun stuff! Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: I want to have all the fun stuff! Reply with quote

Force Lightning
Throw random stuff at my enemies with the force
Disruptor rifles
Repeating blaster
Force push to my hearts content
Stupid Jedi code...
etc
etc

Why is all the funs stuff never allowed? Who REALLY want to go by the Jedi code? Pretty soon my gm is going to make me use a stunsaber...he told me so.

How long have you managed to play a jedi and stay holier than thou?

(oh...and when the evil gm discover this post...this is just me roleplaying the evil twin of Johnny Walker.)
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play a game were you are the bad guys.... mmmm sounds like fun.... and you get rewarded for how much pain and suffering you cause!!! Sounds cool!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mayhem you seek, find it you should.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 'Jedis' rewrite the code all the time it's pretty obvious to me that it's not set in stone. I should be to do what ever I want as long as I'm consistent.

For example, Luke rewrote the code after he reestablished the Jedis. Another example is the celibacy thing, it's been enforced only if the Jedi council is less atractive than the general population.

edit: And I guess Yoda falls into that category?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another example is the celibacy thing, it's been enforced only if the Jedi council is less atractive than the general population.

I think you misunderstand why the council limits those types of relationships. They do it because of the added emotional tension that can come from being involved that deeply with another person. That passion can fuel all kinds of bad stuff, so to avoid the bad stuff, they don't encourage marriage. Although Ki-Adi-Mundi had 2 wives I believe. And he was a member of the council, however when his daughter was taken hostage, he broke a few rules to get her back. (He wasn't quite a master yet.)

It's not that they don't want Jedi making babies, its that they want them detached from those sorts of emotions.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, there's not being able to f**k, and then there's frying someone's innards with the sheer power of the Force.

I'm fairly certain that those fall on different points in karmatic scale.

Let me make you a picture!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raven Redstar"]
Quote:

It's not that they don't want Jedi making babies, its that they want them detached from those sorts of emotions.

Mindless little automatons that do the councils bidding. I think its clear that the rule to avoid positive feelings is just to keep the Jedi from questioning the council. Brainwashing!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
I mean, there's not being able to f**k, and then there's frying someone's innards with the sheer power of the Force.

I'm fairly certain that those fall on different points in karmatic scale.

Both equally important...
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Random Numbers"]
Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

Mindless little automatons that do the councils bidding. I think its clear that the rule to avoid positive feelings is just to keep the Jedi from questioning the council. Brainwashing!

Tread carefully here. There are those that my have a deep sense of tradition IRL that would balk at any such characterization without further justification. Wink Though you may have to excuse me, because I'm quite used to hearing people make the logical leap from restriction to brainwashing as common mantra among those who wish to be avant garde so that they can be dismissive while having no desire for an understanding of those they criticize. I'm sure that's not your intent, since we're all just talking about Jedi and not RL. Smile

Though, really... there is something that must be understood about the Jedi and their relationship to their order in terms of what they are symbolically. Star Wars (until the prequels) were heavily entrenched in mythological symbolism. The Jedi were the warrior monks of their universe. One willingly ascribes oneself to their order, and even Jedi may feel free to leave the ranks (though it only happened 12 times before the rise of the Empire). Thus they are voluntarily ascribing themselves to an organization, and if the rule in that organization is that you can't wear blue on Tuesdays, then, since membership is voluntary, they can either abide by the rule or leave. Along with their order came a deep sense of tradition, and those traditions (whether misguided or not) were upheld for reasons. Yes, there is a difference between sex and Force lightning. But there are motivations and pragmatism in terms of Jedi with divided loyalties. (By analogy, you'll find that most Roman Catholic scholars will be very upfront about the fact that priests not being able to marry is a practical, and not a theological matter.)

Part of Star Wars has traditionally been to play Jedi as Jedi-like. That usually means by the rules of the order that are established in the era of play. If you play during the KotOR era, or the ToTJ era, then the Jedi are going to have fewer rules. Play during the Clone Wars, there will be more rules. I'm not sure how it's going to be during the New Republic... but I gather that they're a bit looser than during the Clone Wars. If you step out of line, then it's not unreasonable for the GM to tell you that the community of Jedi is going to step in and give you restrictions.

Of course, this also has to do with agreements you've made with your GM. If the two of you talked about playing a non-traditional Jedi, or a tainted Jedi (which it sounds like if you want to fry people with lightning), then it
should be allowed, though with the natural consequences of doing things aided by the Dark Side. I played a game where a guy said he wanted to play a tainted Jedi. He did. It was fun (and nerve wracking) for him, and it was interesting for everyone involved.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tread carefully about what? If you are talking about sex, sure. This is really not about sex. I also suppose that there are some people who put that higer on the evil scale than frying people with force lightning.

If hatred leads to the dark side, then love should take you in the other direction. Being devoid of emotion might make you more enlightened, but not a better person.

Thats what I think about the Jedi code.

About frying people with force lightning...thats just because it's cool. It's horrible, but cool.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
Tread carefully about what? If you are talking about sex, sure. This is really not about sex. I also suppose that there are some people who put that higer on the evil scale than frying people with force lightning.
It was a tongue in cheek comment due to the nature of the fact that this is how many anti-religious speeches begin. Smile

Quote:

If hatred leads to the dark side, then love should take you in the other direction. Being devoid of emotion might make you more enlightened, but not a better person.

This is a fallacy. Simply because hatred leads in one direction, it does not mean that what is perceived as the opposite emotion necessarily leads in the opposite direction. A fair few ethicists have demonstrated that almost any emotion or mental state can be bent and lead someone into unethical action if not guided properly. One ethicist specifically noted that even love can be bent and misdirected, and love gone askew can lead a person to do terrible things. I think it's not too far off to suggest that the principles that Aristotle, Kant, and Aquinas outline are applicable to the Jedi code.

Don't get me wrong... I think that the Jedi code forbidding romantic attachment was a stupid plot convention contrived for the prequels... but I'm just providing a probable rationale.

Quote:

Thats what I think about the Jedi code.

About frying people with force lightning...thats just because it's cool. It's horrible, but cool.

Of course it's cool! If I had the ability I'd use it at least once a semester, just to keep the students in line. Smile
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who would make this a discussion about religion IRL probably don't give a rats @$$ about other peoples views.

I think that the absence of emotion makes for a better mass murderer. I only argue the point that the Jedi council might be a preparation for something else. Maybe it's so that us guards won't feel anything towards our prisoners in the future.

Using force ligtning should only be allowed in the begining of the semester against the flunkees.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: I want to have all the fun stuff! Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:

Why is all the funs stuff never allowed? Who REALLY want to go by the Jedi code? Pretty soon my gm is going to make me use a stunsaber...he told me so.

How long have you managed to play a jedi and stay holier than thou?

(oh...and when the evil gm discover this post...this is just me roleplaying the evil twin of Johnny Walker.)

The "fun" stuff is never allowed because it's evil. Star Wars is a black and white mythology, good vs. evil. And you're supposed to be playing the good guys. Who really wants to go by the Jedi code? The Jedi do.

There are better ways your GM can encourage you to not hack everything to pieces. (Provide encounters where violence is not the answer or where it's counterproductive. Require you to atone for hacking any living thing to bits.)

Me, I've never played a Jedi. I know myself enough to know that I'd be really, really tempted to do some really bad things. (With great power comes great responsibility... thank you, Stan Lee.)

It sounds to me like you'd really rather play a Sith or other Dark Sider rather than a Jedi. By definition, a Jedi is a Noble Knight charged with protecting all life.

So, you've got options:
Talk to your GM about playing a baddie or running an evil campaign.
Change your character to a non-Force User.
Change your ideas about what's "fun."
Challenge yourself (and your character) to deal with in-game situations without resorting to your lightsaber/Force Powers.
Go play a DnD 4e Chaotic Evil Wizard. (yay Fireballs!)

PS - I find your Jar-Jar Binks avatar disturbing. Laughing

Last edited by Rerun941 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
People who would make this a discussion about religion IRL...

Hence why my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Quote:

I think that the absence of emotion makes for a better mass murderer. I only argue the point that the Jedi council might be a preparation for something else. Maybe it's so that us guards won't feel anything towards our prisoners in the future.

How did we get from a prohibition of romantic relationships to an erasure of all human emotion?
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the celibacy thingy was an example of one of the things that changed over time...probably cause the council changes the code to suit their needs.

On the good or bad...not many people are just plain good or plain bad. And playiing a truly evil character is not an easy thing to do. Most evil characters I have played, or seen played, have been petty evil. It's not for me to dismember and eat babies.

I'd sure like to play a good sith Smile

And the avatar is a really good conversation starter, yes? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: