The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Scale System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Scale System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so my research on planetary shield generators tells me that there are 2 general sources detailed enough to provide some D6 stats on such devices: Hideouts and Strongholds and the Dark Empire Sourcebook.
There are two types of planet shields: encasing shields (such as the one seen over Scarif in Rogue One) which encompass the entire planet, and shutter shields, which had individual segments cover only a portion of the planet’s surface, but could be moved to overlap for additional defense. The shield at Hoth was a single shutter shield placed directly over Echo Base.

The stats for the planet shield from Dark Empire, page 130 are immediately below:
Shutter shield type
Planetary Shields
Model: Hibomehrt-Wyrrgex DefenStar 5000
Type: Planetary shield relay system
Scale: Death Star
Skill: Planetary shields
Crew: 150, skeleton: 50/+15
Crew Skill: Planetary shields 6D
Cost: 500,000 credits per shield
Availability: X
Game Notes: Each shield protects a 100 square kilometer area. The shield provides 6D Death Star scale protection. Anything that hits the shield suffers 6D damage; energy bolts hitting the shields make opposed damage rolls, if the planetary shield’s roll is higher the energy bolt is snuffed. If the energy bolt’s roll is higher, for every 6 points by which the bolt exceeds the shield roll, 1D of damage passes through: additionally, the shield system takes damage as per normal combat results. if the shield system is damaged, the system has 5D of backup shields that can be brought on-line with a Moderate planetary shields roll. The shield system has a fire control of 3D. Each shield must have its own power generator.
Notes on Planets: A typical habitable planet has a structural rating of 10D-20D (Death Star scale). Alderaan had no shields of any kind, so it was utterly vaporized. A shielded planet that is overcome by a superlaser may “merely” have its entire surface burned off or split into several pieces. Note that planets don’t have to be destroyed to be rendered uninhabitable.

Here are the stats from Hideouts and Strongholds for the two planetary shields found on page 14:

Encasing Shield
MerrWeapons WorldArmor 9 Planetary Shield
Model: WorldArmor 9 Planetary Shield
Type: Planetary defense shield (encasing shield type)
Scale: Death Star
Crew: 25
Cover: Full
Ammo: Power generator
Cost: 12 billion credits
Body: 3D (capital scale)
Shield: 3D
Range: 1/3/5
Difficulty: Easy (short range or half planet), Moderate (medium range or full planet), Difficult (long range or orbiting station)

Shutter Shield
DefenStar Nyalsan II Planetary Shield
Model: DefenStar Nyalsan II Planetary Shield
Type: Planetary defense shield (shutter shield type)
Scale: Capital
Crew: 18
Cover: Full
Ammo: Power generator or power grid
Cost: 500 million credits
Body: 3D
Shield: 10D
Range: 1/2/3
Difficulty: Easy (short range or half planet), Moderate (medium range or full planet), Difficult (long range)

My own take on the Imperial Garrison shield is that it's going to be a shutter shield by default; a single garrison is not going to have the power to generate an encasing field for the entire planet.

Also, keep in mind, none of these systems involve a Shield Gate space station like the one used at Scarif; that monster is going to need its own TBD set of stats.

So finally, which of the two shutter shield types would you guys see more plausible as the one protecting an Imperial Garrison?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denderan marajain wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
denderan marajain wrote:
do you have also adapted the weapons scale as well?

For the most part, weapons scales are the same.

and for the less part Wink ?

Dealt with on a case by case basis in the course of reworking official stats. I have neither the time nor the inclination to research and list them all.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Exactly. Combine the fire, use the bonus to offset the scale penalties, and when you thwack them with a shot, its not an overkill...

Sorry; should've been clearer. The vast majority of capital ships will remain unchanged, just shifted -2D on the Scale chart. Destroyer-Scale weapons are the equivalent of the big guns found on battleships and battlecruisers. Heavy cruisers will mount guns big enough to threaten Destroyer-Scale ships if used in groups.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
So finally, which of the two shutter shield types would you guys see more plausible as the one protecting an Imperial Garrison?

My take is a third type. Both Shutter and Encasing shields protect an entire planet, but a garrison base doesn't necessarily need to provide that much protection. I picture a localized umbrella shield, around 12 kilometers in diameter, open around the edges (so AT-ATs and the like can walk under), but close enough to the surface to prevent angled shots from orbit.

It protects the garrison from direct orbital bombardment, is far less expensive, and allows for its own starfighters to egress and ingress without affecting the shield.

And this shield is in addition to the garrison's own Destroyer-Scale 3D Shields...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought those garrison shields WERE in an umbrella form...
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

My take is a third type. Both Shutter and Encasing shields protect an entire planet, but a garrison base doesn't necessarily need to provide that much protection. I picture a localized umbrella shield, around 12 kilometers in diameter, open around the edges (so AT-ATs and the like can walk under), but close enough to the surface to prevent angled shots from orbit.

It protects the garrison from direct orbital bombardment, is far less expensive, and allows for its own starfighters to egress and ingress without affecting the shield.

And this shield is in addition to the garrison's own Destroyer-Scale 3D Shields...

garhkal wrote:

I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure that the shutter shield is specifically mentioned in Hideouts & Strongholds to be flat; they can't be curved.

By "umbrella form," you're saying that the shield is basically dome-shaped, right, CRM?

And yeah, my take on a garrison's planetary shield doesn't cover anywhere near the entire planet; I was thinking that it would just cover the area around the garrison with a single shutter shield powered by a single shield generator and would be somewhat larger than the shield used at Hoth, which was only around 500+ meters in diameter (if I calculated it right according to GG3: Empire Strikes back).

I can see the Empire using the Dark Empire shield for garrisons located in urban areas. A 100 sq km shield is 10km on each side, right? That's sufficient to protect a good sized chunk of urban area around a city-based garrison, I think.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Based on what? Lacking some sort of special rules saying otherwise, shields listed as part of a stat under the WEG rules must be allocated between the four fire arcs.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Theater_shield describes the situation on Echo base.

There's also when the Gungans start up their shields at 00:37 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rof0L_JatcI

So there's quite a lot of evidence that you could have pretty localized shields that curved.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Based on what? Lacking some sort of special rules saying otherwise, shields listed as part of a stat under the WEG rules must be allocated between the four fire arcs.

Just how i envisioned it.. A dome which is like an umbrella..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Theater_shield describes the situation on Echo base.

Good catch on this. I thought from the map of Echo Base in GG3 that the shield was essentially just a flat platform above the base.

Zarn wrote:
There's also when the Gungans start up their shields at 00:37 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rof0L_JatcI

Not to mention that is quickly followed by "Ouch Time!" Captain Tarpals' expression is friggin' priceless.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Just how i envisioned it.. A dome which is like an umbrella..

Okay, but that would require a special exemption from existing shield rules, which the stats for the garrison don't have. WEG used the vehicle stat block to stat out an immovable object, so the 3D of shields are going to be subject to the same WEG shield rules. Wht I'm proposing is two different shields: the garrison's tactical shielding (as listed on the stats) and an overhead anti-bombardment shield, ala Hoth, that protects the garrison from any direct bombardment, forcing attackers to come down and engage the garrison by starfighter attack or ground assault.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did finally get around to integrating the Called Shot Rules into the current version of this system.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I did finally get around to integrating the Called Shot Rules into the current version of this system.

That makes having 'called shot' rules more appealing to me now. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the Scale for objects below Character Scale could also be applied as a Difficulty Modifier to skills like Pick Pocket / Sleight-Of-Hand or Hide, since the Difficulty of such would also be directly proportional to the object's size.

Similarly, it could also be applied to factor in Weight and Encumbrance for Strength/Lifting purposes, as discussed here.

Thoughts?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm thinking that the Scale for objects below Character Scale could also be applied as a Difficulty Modifier to skills like Pick Pocket / Sleight-Of-Hand or Hide, since the Difficulty of such would also be directly proportional to the object's size.

This might be better as a separate thread since it doesn't have anything to do with planetary shields.
[Edit: Never mind. I forgot this wasn't a thread about planetary shields.]

Modifying the difficulty makes sense in that it's harder to pickpocket or hide a big item than a small item. But for some scales the skill isn't relevant, i.e. you can't pick pocket something the size of Luke Skywalker or a landspeeder.

One concern is that you might need to set a high difficulty for picking a pocket to offset the bonuses for small objects. This may be problematic for a GM setting a difficulty on the fly since it won't be intuitively obvious that a pick pocket base difficulty of 25-29 (which is just a bit below Heroic in difficulty) equates to a Moderate difficulty for pick pocketing a wallet.

* I don't recall exactly which scale numbers you are using for smaller sizes. I thought that for below character scale you were using numbers based on called shot sizes and modifiers. So...

-2D for speeder scale
+0D for character sized e.e ~ 1-3 meters.
+1D for 10-50cm (pen/pencil, scissors, comlink, vibroblade, glowrod, macrobinoculars, lightsaber, hydrospanner, and blaster pistol all fall into this range)
+4D for 1-10cm (small vibroshiv, wallet, small comlink, earbud, cred stick, data stick, or a credit coin**)
+8D for < 1cm (pill/tablet/capsule, a pea or a kernel of corn, small ear bud)

** Here are a few real world coin sizes for comparison: Dime 1.8cm, Penny 1.9cm, Nickel 2.1cm, 1 EURO 2.3cm, Quarter 2.4cm, ½ Dollar 3.1cm.

Last edited by Bren on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: