The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Scale System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Scale System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looks nice...

As a q.. Where would most luxury Yachts come in at?

Starship, for the most part. There are a few mega yachts that might be large enough to hit Frigate-Scale, but those are few and far between.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I really need to carve out time to reread the thread; I have some first principles questions that you've probably already answered.
Ask away.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I like it. Thanks!

Cool

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hyfigh
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like this new system... Where would you place air speeders? Keep them as speeder or bump them to walker?

Also, i cannot remember seeing a blast raius for walker's weaponry (other than the grenade launcher on At-Sts/

This makes me think of the rules in WH40K using scatter dice and all... I've always thought that would be a fun rule to play with. The need for scatter dice kind of stinks, though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyfigh wrote:
This makes me think of the rules in WH40K using scatter dice and all... I've always thought that would be a fun rule to play with. The need for scatter dice kind of stinks, though.

This is probably more appropriate for another topic...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm still considering bringing back the Dreadnought-Scale class, but at +16D (4D above Destroyer). My main reasoning is that I want to reduce the ridiculous Hull numbers published for the Executor, Eclipse and Sovereign classes. If I do introduce this rule, it will be accompanied by a stat re-write of those three ship classes, reducing their soak by 4D to compensate. However, the Soak is split between Hull and Shields.

So my question is, should I reduce the Hull by 4D, leaving the Shields as is, or should I split the difference, decreasing both Hull and Shields by 2D?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 3d hull/1d shields to compensate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'd say 3d hull/1d shields to compensate.

So the Executor drops from 10D/8D to 7D/7D, the Eclipse drops from 15D+2/11D+1 to 12D+2/10D+1 and the Sovereign from 11D/8D to 8D/7D. Still pretty high, but not as bad as before, plus it gives some breathing room if I decide to stat out some of the big nasties from fractalsponge, especially the Assertor, Bellator and Impellor.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan!

Though the Executor having just only 1D hull less than a Sovereign class is a little wacky.. I would think a ship that large, would be at least 2d above..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Though the Executor having just only 1D hull less than a Sovereign class is a little wacky.. I would think a ship that large, would be at least 2d above..

Just because a ship is larger doesn't automatically make it more capable of resisting damage as a whole (which is what Hull Dice represents). A larger ship may have some design flaws or vulnerabilities that make it more susceptible to damage than sheer size would indicate.

Also, for the sake of comparison, here is what the stats would look like using the 2D/2D reduction
    Executor = 8D/6D
    Sovereign = 9D/6D
    Eclipse = 13D+2/9D+1

It's insane, but the Eclipse's Hull under the RAW actually works out to 3D+2 Death Star-Scale...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how big it is, and its power, that's imo not surprising..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
With how big it is, and its power, that's imo not surprising..
Maybe. Another issue is the discrepancy in the Executor's size. Per WEG, it's 8,000 meters long. However, film evidence shows it to be much, much larger. The Star Wars Technical Commentaries did an analysis that indicates the Executor is at least 11 times longer than a standard ISD, which puts it closer to 18,000 meters in length. If this is true, then it is actually longer (or just as long, at least) than the Eclipse (17,500 meters). However, if one goes by WEG's silhouette comparison in the Dark Empire Sourcebook, then the Eclipse's size would be increased by a similar interval, making it 38,500 meters. Applying the same ratio to the Sovereign moves it from 15,000 meters to 33,000 meters.

Of course, I'd just as soon drop the Sovereign and the Eclipse entirely. There's no actual reference in the Dark Empire for the Sovereign's existence, and neither the Eclipse nor the Sovereign made an appearance until the Dark Empire era (where both Eclipses were destroyed).

The main reason I'm interested in bringing back the Dreadnought-Scale is to have somewhere to put stats for some of the ships created by Ansel Hsiao, all of which are smaller than the Executor (even if they are far from anything a character would be able to survive).

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another issue is the discrepancy in the Executor's size. Per WEG, it's 8,000 meters long. However, film evidence shows it to be much, much larger. The Star Wars Technical Commentaries did an analysis that indicates the Executor is at least 11 times longer than a standard ISD, which puts it closer to 18,000 meters in length. If this is true, then it is actually longer (or just as long, at least) than the Eclipse (17,500 meters). However, if one goes by WEG's silhouette comparison in the Dark Empire Sourcebook, then the Eclipse's size would be increased by a similar interval, making it 38,500 meters. Applying the same ratio to the Sovereign moves it from 15,000 meters to 33,000 meters.

Of course, I'd just as soon drop the Sovereign and the Eclipse entirely. There's no actual reference in the Dark Empire for the Sovereign's existence, and neither the Eclipse nor the Sovereign made an appearance until the Dark Empire era (where both Eclipses were destroyed).

Since WEG was way off on the Executor in the first place, I wouldn't put too much stock in the DES. Or DE... I certainly wouldn't cry if you dropped these ships from consideration in your scale system.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Since WEG was way off on the Executor in the first place, I wouldn't put too much stock in the DES. Or DE... I certainly wouldn't cry if you dropped these ships from consideration in your scale system.

I'm strongly inclined that direction myself. There are one or two useful ideas to be found in the DES (I'm a fan of the Taskforce Cruiser, personally), but so many other things are questionable at best.

I posted links to Ansel Hsiao's amazing work here on the Forum to give people ideas to work with. I expect I'll be focusing most of my stat writing energy on the smaller vehicles he's designed, which are the ones characters might actually have a chance against. One of the big ships I am considering, though, is taking the WEG stats for the Executor and applying them to his Bellator-Class Battlecruiser as an intermediate command vessel, with new and improved stats for the Executor. And as you can see from this comparison, it is much more accurate to say that the Bellator is 8,000 meters long (5x longer than an ISD).

I may also do his Impellor-Class Fleet Carrier, which fractalsponge has confirmed as being about 3.5 kilometers long (just over 2x the length of an ISD) to bridge the gap between ISDs and the Bellator.

All three craft would be in the Dreadnought-Scale, with the Bellator and Impellor serving as flagships and such.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and edited the latest Scale System version on the previous page to include the Dreadnought-Scale discussed above.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: