The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Unknown Regions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Unknown Regions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you mean conversion-wise. I'm not wrestling a bear for you Gry, no matter how much I respect you.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Eopie
Type: Domestic riding beast
DEXTERITY 1D+2
PERCEPTION 1D
Search 3D+1
STRENGTH 4D+2
Brawling: 5D+2
Special Abilities:
Bite: Does Str +1D Damage
Move: 8
Size: Up to 2 meters (at shoulder)
Orneriness: 1D
Source: Secrets of Tatooine (pages 13-14) The Unknown Regions (page 60)

Okay, no source was listed in the creatures book, but this was pretty darn close to what was in there. So, was the original a simple fan conversion, or was this from the Secrets of Tatooine? There's a special ability listed in the D6 stat that doesn't seem to be represented in the flavor text of the Secrets of Tatooine book. So, am I right in guessing that it was just a fan stat?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a Rebellion conversion from the Gamer magazine.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense now.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therefore a fan conversion from an official writer when he was just a fan. Very Happy
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been around. My computer had registry corruption, and it needed to be serviced. I rented a laptop, but it didn't have my files or my passwords, so I could't try the creatures. Now that I have it back, I'll give them a try. While I was away, though, I did come up with the following stats for the Qom Jha and Qom Qae, the mynock-like aliens Luke and Mara encountered in the Hand of Thrawn duology. Though they appear the same, the subtle differences between them dictate different special abilities for each species.

Qom Qae/Qom Jha
Dexterity 3D/5D
Knowledge 2D/4D
Mechanical 0D
Perception 2D/4D
Strength 1D/2D
Technical 1D/2D
Special Abilities:

Force-sensitivity: All Qom Qae and Qom Jha have marginal Force-sensitivity, which is an integral part of their language. It may be possible for Qom Qae and Qom Jha to learn Force powers, but none have demonstrated any Force powers to date, nor have any had the opportunity to learn them.
Language: The language of the Qom Qae and Qom Jha has a Force undertone component to it. To most people, the language sounds like nothing but chirps. However, those who are Force-sensitive can detect the telepathic undertone contained within it, but not understand it. Those who have been trained in the Force can understand the telepathic component, allowing them to understand the Qom Qae and Qom Jha. One who is Force-sensitive and trained in the ways of the Force can make a Difficult Sense roll to use receptive telepathy and/or translation to understand the language. However, if one knows Theran Force-listening, however, only a Moderate roll is required to understand.
Skin-color: Because the Qom Jha have darker skin-color, they receive a +1D bonus to all hide and sneak rolls when in a low-light or dark environment.
Vision: Having lived in caves throughout their lives, Qom Jha can see twice as far as a human in dim light. However, since the Qom Qae live on the cliffs, they do not have this ability. They do have normal vision in bright light. Qom Jha, on the other hand, cannot stand bright light and therefore suffer appropriate penalties when exposed to it.
Story Factors:
Age differences: The adults of the Qom Qae and Qom Jha are territorial. The children, on the other hand, were free to travel between borders. This allows them to serve as information gatherers and ambassadors for other nestings, even nestings of the other species. It is generally easier to deal and negotiate with the children than with the adults.
Bargainers: A key cornerstone of Qom Qae and Qom Jha society is the Bargainer. The eldest member of the nest usually has this title. When requesting anything from either of these species, one must bargain for their services, assistance, etc.
Species identification: Qom Qae are the smaller of the two species, while Qom Jha are larger and have darker skin tone than the Qom Qae. Also, the way they perch serve as indicators. Qom Qae perch upright, while Qom Jha perch upside-down.
Species rivalry: Because of the biological and cultural differences between the Qom Qae and Qom Jha, the two species are generally unfriendly towards each other. This is more prevalent amongst the adults than the children, as friendships between Qom Qae and Qom Jha have been known to exist.
Tribal: Qom Qae and Qom Jha live in groups called “nestings”. Though they know that there is life in the galaxy, they lack the means to travel there. They are considered to be at the Stone level of technology, and are forbidden from learning any skills associated with high-technology. The only Technical skills they can learn are first aid and (A) medicine.
Size: .6 – 1m
Move: 2/4 (climbing), 10/12 (flying)
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fenwolf
Type: Transport beast
Planet of Origin: Unknown
DEXTERITY 3D+1
PERCEPTION 2D
Search 2D+2
STRENGTH 4D+2
Special Abilities:
Bite: Str+2D damage
Senses: Fenwolves have a keen sense of smell and take no concealment penalties from visibility when making searching for a target within 20 meters.
Move: 14
Orneriness: 2D
Source: The Unknown Regions (page 60)

cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Orray
Planet of Origin: Geonosis
DEXTERITY 2D+2
PERCEPTION 1D
Search 2D
STRENGTH 4D
Brawling 5D
Special Abilities:
Bite: Str+2D
Sting Tail: Str+1D
Move: 12
Size: 1.5 meters
Orneriness: 5D (reduces to 3D when the Orray’s sting tail is removed)
Source: The Unknown Regions (page 62)

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally, could you please tell me where in the book you found all that info on the different Killik variations and on the Eickarie?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Rakazzak Beast
Planet of Origin: Endor
DEXTERITY 5D+1
PERCEPTION 1D+1
Search 2D+1
STRENGTH 3D+2
Brawling 5D+2
Special Abilities:
Claws: Str+2D damage
Move: 16
Size: “Huge”
Orneriness: 2D
Source: Unknown Regions (page 62)

Quote:

Rockhopper
Planet of Origin: Roon
DEXTERITY 3D+2
Running 4D+2
PERCEPTION 1D+2
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 4D
Stamina 6D
Special Abilities:
Bite: Str+2D damage
Tail: Str+1D+2 damage
Running: A rockhopper may move 5 times its move when running all out.
Move: 12
Size: 1-1.8 meters at the shoulder
Orneriness: 1D
Source: The Unknown Regions (page 62)

Also, BIG FYI HERE: Today I'm leaving for vacation, and I'll be off in the woods for a week. I'll have a friend watching the house, but he's not going to do any conversions for me. Smile

So, do not take my vanishing as a bad sign. No conversions will get done, but I'll be back on it when I get back.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lazy friend, tsc tsc.... Wink

Have a good vacation, Chesh! Enjoy it!
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY got my puter where it won't time out posting to the pit. Rolling Eyes

I can try giving a shot at converting the Toff and the Vaagari starships for you folks... 8)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm already done with those, thanks. If you could help out with the creatures, though... There's are plenty scattered throughout the book.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Forceally, could you please tell me where in the book you found all that info on the different Killik variations and on the Eickarie?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had another round of registry errors, and the laptop I rented didn't have my password file and so forth. Hopefully, I won't have any more computer problems.

The Eickaries didn't appear in The Unknown Regions. It's completely fan-made. I drew primarily from Fool's Bargain and the Wook, with minor supplementary material from Survivor's Quest. The same goes for the Qom Jha/Qom Qae - completely fan-made based on what I've read in Vision of the Future and the Wook.

As for the Killiks, I drew the average Killik stats from the stats in the book. When it comes to the specific nests, I read the descriptions of the nests in the text and the Wook, and took it from there.

Since the Eickaries didn't appear in The Unknown Regions, I can understand if you decide not to include them in the pdf. If you like the stats, good. If you don't, you can modify them or toss them out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think I'll include in this conversion book these species that weren't in the actual book. However, they should get included in the eventual re-edit of the Alien Species book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: