The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What about those crazy Dark Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What about those crazy Dark Troopers? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: What about those crazy Dark Troopers? Reply with quote

In my last campaign I created a type of Stormtrooper called Assault Trooper. They were basically a cross between 40K Terminators and Stormtroopers. Several weapons also drew heavily for inspiration from the 'original' Terminators. These troopers supported the Inquisitors in close quarters combat with Jedis or hard targets.

This was years ago, before I found Wookiepedia or the EU was very much expanded at all..

To bad everything from that period is lost (books, home brew rules and equipment..grrr). So, I have to do it all over again, or draw from the now existing EU.

SO, the Dark Troopers. Are they EU crap, or worthy opponents. As we are talking the Inquisition...Im looking at the Inquisitorium Darktroopers.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisitorium_dark_trooper
My players have no clue of 98% the EU, but may remember the former Inquisitor troopers if I recall them into duty.

So, to make a direct translation from Swedish: Dark Troopers, good or anus?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark troopers are alright, depending on the time period, there are also the purge troopers, which make an appearance in The Force Unleashed. Huge black droids that were designed to be able to take down Jedi. Unfortunately, I don't see it in the conversion of TFU guide. They've got some sort of guided concussion missile launcher (shoulder mounted), Looks like a plasma cutter (wrist mounted), and some sort of energy shield that allows them to block lightsabers. When at long enough range, they fire their missiles, which once a lock is established, can even follow around corners... if the jedi moves into melee, they raise their shield, and turtle (go full defense) until there is an opening, and then they attempt to grab the jedi, and break him in two. Lol... These things are really irritating in the game.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Dark troopers are alright, depending on the time period, there are also the purge troopers, which make an appearance in The Force Unleashed. Huge black droids that were designed to be able to take down Jedi. Unfortunately, I don't see it in the conversion of TFU guide. They've got some sort of guided concussion missile launcher (shoulder mounted), Looks like a plasma cutter (wrist mounted), and some sort of energy shield that allows them to block lightsabers. When at long enough range, they fire their missiles, which once a lock is established, can even follow around corners... if the jedi moves into melee, they raise their shield, and turtle (go full defense) until there is an opening, and then they attempt to grab the jedi, and break him in two. Lol... These things are really irritating in the game.

Yeah, I played the game. I think hiding out of sight and then popping out for some force lightning (which temporarily stunned them) before attacking and then retreating again was the right tactic. Rince and repeat until destroyed..

Well, I dont plan on using these as I found them a bit OTT. Im sticking to really heavy droid infantry. Anyone know about what armamant they use, Wookiepedia just mentions that they differ from the phase 3 Dark Troopers. What size are they?

[/img]
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, they look pretty large. So I'd say somewhere around 2 to 2.5 meters.

Let me make you a picture!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
I mean, they look pretty large. So I'd say somewhere around 2 to 2.5 meters.

Yeah, I was going for something around that size, perhaps 2,25 meters, which seems similar to the phase III troopers in the pictures at wookie. They are however more massive than Dark Troopers.

I really dont like the 'all droid' approach. Perhaps its a better idea to make them cyborged clone troopers like the phase I Dark Troopers.

What about weapons? Its mentioned they have different weapons from the 'normal' phase III dark troopers, among others pistols and shock staffs. Looking at the picture, the weapon is comparable in size to an E-web. Given their assignements perhaps a anti-jedi typ weapon is suitable (ie not easy to block with a lightsaber).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamer units are always useful against Jedi. You could always give them the purge trooper's blade also. If you've got the converted stat books, they've got some stats converted for the Purge Trooper in Galaxy At War. You could give them the rocket launcher too. Maybe give them a concussion rocket rifle or something fun. It looks like he's carrying a huge rifle, maybe it's a combo bit, concussion missile launcher, flamer, and maybe a repeating blaster. Also, you should up their armor to make it highly resistant to energy damage.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flechette cannon is always useful against those pesky lightsaber-swingers.

Let me make you a picture!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought that the stage three dark troopers could either be 100% droids or a powered exoskeletons for an organic being.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the dark troopers as power armored stormtroopers. I don't like the idea of droids necessarily.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Flamer units are always useful against Jedi. You could always give them the purge trooper's blade also. If you've got the converted stat books, they've got some stats converted for the Purge Trooper in Galaxy At War. You could give them the rocket launcher too. Maybe give them a concussion rocket rifle or something fun. It looks like he's carrying a huge rifle, maybe it's a combo bit, concussion missile launcher, flamer, and maybe a repeating blaster. Also, you should up their armor to make it highly resistant to energy damage.

BTW, isnt there some kind of flamer-stormtrooper...should be standard issue when hunting jedis hehe
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phase 3 Dark Troopers could be an exoskeleton for the Pase 1 or 2, or could be used as armour for regulat stormtroopers.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some type of tractor beam repulsor gun that knocks enemies back would be cool.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
I think some type of tractor beam repulsor gun that knocks enemies back would be cool.

Or even lift them up and throw them away. I think some Rodians on Raxus Prime in TFU game has such weapons. Anyone know if there are rules for them?

BTW, thinking about stopping the blasterproof monkey..ehrm Wookie thread, wouldnt using such a gun to throw him into chasms be a good idea..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like the old Ork weapon the Lifta Droppa Twisted Evil

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Sounds a lot like the old Ork weapon the Lifta Droppa Twisted Evil

Yeah, and the SW 'orkish' (after the piggies) race Rodians have them too..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: