The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attributes for Luke Skywalker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Attributes for Luke Skywalker Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Attributes for Luke Skywalker Reply with quote

I was just curious about which "set" of Attributes you guys use for Luke Skywalker.

There seems to be 2 "sets" for the 2nd Edition.

1. Dex 3D, Kno 2D, Mec 4D, Per 2D+1, Str 3D, Tec 3D

Now these ones are featured for the Luke in the movies and also the Shadows of the Empire, Truce at Bakura and Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook.

2. Dex 3D+2, Kno 3D, Mec 4D, Per 3D, Str 3D+2, Tec 3D

These attribues represent Luke as of Dark Empire and Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Now I used to think that it was just Luke enhancing his Attributes using Character Points over the course of his life but there are some problems with this.
For one the second set of Attributes are featured in the Last Command Sourcebook (the 3rd of the Thrawn Trilogy and the only single book of the series released seperately for the 2nd Edition).
This would conflict with the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook where he is featured with the first set of Attributes.
... and also his skills under Dex and Kno (ect) don't increase as his Attribute does. Like for instance his Blaster skill is still 6D+2 after his Dexterity Attribute has been "raised" to 3D+2 from 3D. Hmm...

Don't know if I'm the only one who's noticed this but I was just curious to hear anybody else's thoughts on it.
And hear what Attributes you guys consider the "official ones".
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the attributes based on the time period. Though I don't usually have luke roll for anything.
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the time period?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm running a game during the NJO, jedi academy era, then I use his stats from jedi academy source book.

Besides, I don't like having my players run into the main characters, even if my players run into luke, I don't have him roll anything, he's luke skywalker, if he tries to do it, he succeeds. I usually only use those characters for background.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, while having Luke appear in the game can have it's own interesting story elements, unless you plan to have the character enter into a situation where they are actively going to be coming into conflict with Luke, there's no real reason to have stats for him. I'd just pretty much describe what Luke does in any given round. With the statblock that he'd wind up with, pretty much anything that you'd have him do would result in a success. So just decide what you think would be the most dramatically beneficial to the story you want to tell and then simply have Luke do what you need him to do.

Here's an idea though, if you want to have your players fight say, a Luke under some sort of mind control.

You can assume that Luke will be fighting against whatever force is controlling him. So, depending on what era you're playing (If it's early in the New Republic era or the NJO) either give Jedi Academy Sourcebook Luke a penalty of X-number of D or just use his stats as-is to represent him being "de-powered" due to him not being fully under control.

Let me make you a picture!
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 4D is human maximum, it feels like 3D+2 in Strength should give Luke a stature not far from He-man...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
Since 4D is human maximum, it feels like 3D+2 in Strength should give Luke a stature not far from He-man...

I tend to view strength as overall health, rather than simple might. Lance Armstrong would have 4D strength (maybe even a little more), while a baseball player on steroids wouldn't. Muscle mass is probably represented more by the Lifting skill.

What I think is too high is his perception. How oblivious do you have to be to enjoy getting kissed by your twin sister?

Complete Starship Construction System
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Anakin wrote:

I tend to view strength as overall health, rather than simple might. Lance Armstrong would have 4D strength (maybe even a little more), while a baseball player on steroids wouldn't. Muscle mass is probably represented more by the Lifting skill.

What I think is too high is his perception. How oblivious do you have to be to enjoy getting kissed by your twin sister?

If Luke and someone else would grab a rope and pull in opposite directions you would roll their Strength against each others...

Luke don't know she is his sister when she kisses him.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second edition there are more than two sets for Luke. You've got the Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope stats, Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back stats, Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi stats, Heir to the Empire Sourcebook stats, Dark Force Rising Sourcebook stats, The Last Command Sourcebook stats, Movie Trilogy Soucebook stats (basically a collection of the stats from the three Galaxy Guides and showing what changes occured to Luke from Yavin to Hoth to Endor), Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook stats (again a collection of the stats from the three Thrawn Trilogy source books and what changes happened from Sluis Van to the Katana Fleet to Mount Tantiss), Star Wars Sourcebook stats (just Battle of Yavin stats), Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook stats, The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook stats, Special Edition Star Wars Tilogy Sourcebook stats, Dark Empire Sourcebook stats, Jedi Academy Sourcebook stats. Gotta cross check to see what sourcebooks cross over to what other sourcebooks with the same stats, and some stats are later than others.

Me, I've never used any of Luke's stats because none of the movie characters have appeared in any of my games. Which have been very few. The closest I ever had to having a movie character appear I was introducing a friend to the game and set up a adventure that was supposed to take place during the X-wing: Rogue Squadron and had we ever gotten past the first game he was supposed to have met Wedge.

Wanted Poster
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Anakin wrote:

If Luke and someone else would grab a rope and pull in opposite directions you would roll their Strength against each others...

That's because of his low perception!

Anyway, yeah strength is a kinda iffy stat. You could have 2D strength and 14D lifting so you could lift a ton, but if a flower pot falls on you from a balcony it might kill you. My advice is just go with it and don't let it interfere with your perception of the size or shape of the character. They have space muscles they're different.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Anakin wrote:

And exactly how high does your Perception have to be to recognize that a woman that you have just met, out of millions of millions of beings in the galaxy, just happens to be your twin sister, who was separated from you at birth? If Oedipus couldn't recognize his own mother and father, then its not all that fair to give Luke a low Per just because he had an incestuous moment or two.

Quote:
Anyway, yeah strength is a kinda iffy stat. You could have 2D strength and 14D lifting so you could lift a ton, but if a flower pot falls on you from a balcony it might kill you. My advice is just go with it and don't let it interfere with your perception of the size or shape of the character. They have space muscles they're different.

Most RPG systems break up Strength and Toughness, but it's really six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Anakin wrote:

And exactly how high does your Perception have to be to recognize that a woman that you have just met, out of millions of millions of beings in the galaxy, just happens to be your twin sister, who was separated from you at birth? If Oedipus couldn't recognize his own mother and father, then its not all that fair to give Luke a low Per just because he had an incestuous moment or two.

Fair point, but he can search his feelings and figure out who his dad is... Anyway, he doesn't seem to have a natural way of dealing with people. He never actually gets those power converters, can't bargain the price of passage on the falcon down or the price of his landspeeder up. He fails his "I'm a stormtrooper" con check before even speaking when Leia first sees him, even with an authentic disguise. He doesn't notice the black-cloaked spy in the blazing desert spaceport. Need I go on? I'd give him 2D. His tech and mech ought to be very good, and probably his dexterity too.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He DID see the flashing light on the Falcon's control panel, though....
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Fair point, but he can search his feelings and figure out who his dad is...

Yeah, but Vader still had to tell him first. And he didn't even need that much from Obi-wan when he figured out Leia.

Quote:
Anyway, he doesn't seem to have a natural way of dealing with people. He never actually gets those power converters,

Because Uncle Owen wouldn't let him ("You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done"), and then the very next morning he had to go off and chase Artoo, then met Obi-wan and everything went from there. I'm betting power converters were the last thing on his mind at that point.

Quote:
can't bargain the price of passage on the falcon down

Because Obi-wan cut him off and made an extravagant offer.

Quote:
or the price of his landspeeder up.

We didn't see the actual bargaining, so we don't know what happened. We don't know the fair market value of the speeder, so maybe he got more than it was worth, but still not quite enough to pay the 2,000 credits on the passage on the Falcon.

Quote:
He fails his "I'm a stormtrooper" con check before even speaking when Leia first sees him, even with an authentic disguise.

Was he trying to Con Leia? He was there to rescue her, after all. And what about Han's epic fail on his Con roll? Isn't he supposed to be exceptionally perceptive and street-wise? For all of that, a simple lack of Knowledge on Death Star comm procedures was enough to trip him up.

Quote:
He doesn't notice the black-cloaked spy in the blazing desert spaceport.

Neither did Obi-wan, the Jedi Master...

Quote:
Need I go on?

Only if you have more definitive examples...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Owen wouldn't let him go for the power converters conceivably results from a failed opposed roll.

Does what Luke's saying sound like good haggling? I'd have cut him off too.

I'll grant you the speeder price. We don't know how much it was worth.

I'd say being in disguise qualifies as trying to con anyone who sees you, unless you reveal your identity. I think Han's epic fail was referred to as an example of a wild die failure in some WEG book or other.

Obi wan also seemed to think stormtroopers were good shots... I think he was letting the jedi in him get the better of the Alec Guiness in him.

A couple more examples: He doesn't seem to get the fact he's standing on a trap door in Jabba's palace, even with 3P0 trying to warn him. He sees two banthas a hundred yards away but misses the sandperson two yards away. He doesn't seem to notice the wampa, or at least doesn't know where or how close it is. And for good measure, he seems to be able to tolerate Ewok music, implying deafness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: