The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Repeating Blasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Repeating Blasters Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Repeating Blasters Reply with quote

Are there any listings of rate of fire for any of the repeating blasters? Other than the Z-6 rotary cannon?

I've got a house rule for handling automatic weapons, but wanted to cross check my results with the official data, if any exists.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating blasters have no "fire rate" listed, which means you can fire them as much as you're able every round. But what you need to look is at the Game Notes of several repating-type blasters, which feature some specific mechanics on how these burst-shots work. Take a look in my Weapons Stats book and you'll find a couple of variations on these rules, like subsequent shots at nearby targets being one difficulty lower, etc.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Gry, I've seen the way the weapons have been started up by WEG in th past. Most simply have an increased damage stat, and some get a reduced difficulty for adjacent targets.

That's why I doing this as a House Rule. It is an alternative to the official rules, and will hopefully be something that could be consistently used for all types of repeating weapon, from light repeating blasters to Droideka to ship mounted autoblasters to old fashioned slugthrowers. It can even handle the Z-6 rotary blaster. (one reason why I did this is because I got an adventure in the world where the heroes go to a planet that has mid-20 century technology, and I want to use this for machine guns and the autocannons on the outdated flying craft).

What I want to do is to give each autoweapon a number of "Burst Dice".

Each Burst Die can be allocated for one of the following:

>A +1D Fire Control for all attacks that turn(no so much accuracy as just peppering the area with a lot of shots)

> The ability to attack one additional target as part of the same action for all attacks that turn. (all targets must be nearby and you cannot "skip over" the potential targets in the middle).

>A +1D to Damage for all attacks that turn.

The only limit being that someone cannot assign more Burst Dice than his skill in the applicable weapon.

Searching on line I can find the 10,000 RPM fire rate for the Z-6, but I don't seem to be able to find any sort of fire rate for the other weapons, save one or two that are noted to fire in 5 round bursts.

I guess the good news is that I am free to pretty much give the weapons whatever rates of fire I want.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play that the character states how many shoots he makes in single action. For every 5 points he roll above the hit DC, the target is hit for one additional shot.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the system discussed here for several years.

I seems its basically the same rule you are developing. The idea developed from a new weapon the GM before me invented for the Noghri commandoes, the Autoblaster. It was essentially an 'Blaster SMG' with a bit more range than a heavy blaster pistol (about 75 m). 'Automatic' fire in this case meant that it caused 6D damage. I found this addition to damage a bad representation of automatic fire.

Bah, Ill post them for ease of comparison.

To some weapons I add X Autofire dice to the stats. Most of the time this is +1D, the highest is +3D for a 'gatling' type blaster cannon. This bonus die can either be used as a bonus to hit(adds to skill), or as a bonus to damage(adds to damage). Each die also allowed the character to 'spray' a 2m target area, having a chance to hit everyone within that area for basic damage. I dont recall the specific rules regarding hitting those within the area though..

This way automatic weapons exists, but does not completely dominate the game which I find a bit non-SW (as an old Grognard). I find that good balanced rules for automatic fire are very hard to find in most RPGs. Therefore I have chosen this rather abstract way of handling autofire.

Please note that when using this rule a Light Repeating Blaster does 5D base damage.

After this, I have further developed how you use the Autofire dice (or Burst dice) to reflect how 'real' automatic work (in a very D6 abstract way).
The range to the target (short, medium or long) restricts how you may put Autofire dice in Damage. Basically the closer you are, the more dice (of the total) you may put in damage, remaining dice going to improve chance of hitting. I dont have the specific rules at hand, but thats the general idea.
Im also reworking the 'area fire' rule above, but havent really found a good (ie fun and easy) solution.[/url]
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout: I considered something like that, but with the way d6 skills are open ended and with the wild die O'm a bit leery of trying that.

Multiple hits certainly makes more sense, and it I did that it would allow me to port over a couple of autofire rules from another RPG that would work for everything.

ZzaphodD,

Yes, quite similar. In some ways more similar than you know. The formula I'm using to assign weapons Bust Dice based on their rate of fire goes a little higher than yours, but not much. I think I have the Z-6 with a BV of 4D+1, but it has a ROF of 10,000 shots per minute. Also, if it works like the M134 that is is based off that is only it cyclic rate, and it automatic rate of fire is probably closer to 670 rpm, or about 11 shots per second.

Most weapons I've been writing up have been coming in with about +1D in Burst Dice, matching up closely with the preexisting repeating blasters (if you assume 1-2D pf damage is from high RoF). What is nice is that it is also working out for the "real world" slugthrowers I'm writing up.

BTW, the method I've been using to work out bonus dice is:
Square Root (shots per second) in pips (round to nearest).

I used a square root function since it naturally accounts for the fact that as rate of fire increases a larger percentage of the shots fired are uncontrolled and "wasted". I'll probably tweak this a little for mounted weapons, since they would be more controllable.

Some examples:

M2HB HMG Burst Dice: 1D
(ROF 500 rpm (8.33 rps) = +3 pips)

M60 LMG Burst Dice: 1D
(ROF 550 rpm (9.17 rps) = +3 pips)

M249 SAW Mimini Burst Dice: 1D+1
(ROF 750-1000 rpm (12.5-16.67 sps) = +4 pips

Minimi 7.62 Burst Dice: 1D+1
(ROF 680-800 rpm (11.33-13.33 sps) = +3-4 pips, used 12.33 for +4

Lewis Mk I LMG Burst Dice: +1D
(ROF 500 rpm (8.33 rps) = +3 pips)

T-21 Light Repeating Blaster Burst Dice: 1D+1
(ROF 833 spm (13.88 sps) =+4 pips
Based on the Lewis gun, with ROF increased 67% like they did with the M134/Z-6.

MG-08 MG Burst Dice: +1D
(ROF 400 rpm (6.67 sps) =+3 pops)

Uzi SMG Burst Dice: 1D
(ROF 600 (10 rps) = +3 pips

Mini-Uzi SMG Burst Dice: 1d+1
(ROF 1200 rpm (20 rps) = +4 pips

M134 Minigun Burst Dice: 3D+1
(ROF 6,000 rpm (100 rps) = 10 pips)
but often set at 3000 rpm (50rps) to conserve ammo (+7 pips or Burst Dice: 2D+1)

Z-6 Rotary Cannon Burst Dice: 4D+1
(ROF 10,000 rpm (166 sps) = 13 pips)
Based on the M134 with ROF increased by 67%

M-61A Vulcan cannon Burst Dice: 3D+1
(ROF 6000-6600 rpm (100-110 rpm) = +10 pips
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wouldnt take the RoF for the Z-6 literally. Its probably the result of an over-eager nerd author Laughing

Other than that Im not really into mathematics to determine Autofire dice.

Most auto weapons have 1D flat.
Some fast firing (E-web for ex) have 2D
Rotary Blasters (I currently have 3 in my 'universe', the z-6, a lighter version, and a customized one for my Assault Troopers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hmm, I wouldnt take the RoF for the Z-6 literally. Its probably the result of an over-eager nerd author Laughing

Probably not. The Z-6 was "inspired" by the real world M134 minigun, a weapon capable of firring 6000 round per minutes (thats 100 rounds per second). Considing that the Z-6 doesn't have to chamber rounds or eject spent casings the higher RoF is quite reasonable.

But, as with real life, just not very practical. I deal with this in game terms by using the Shots-per-seocd figure as the number of shots fired in a burst. Since most characters won't be firing 5 bursts in a round, they won't actually be going at full rate.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Rotary Blasters (I currently have 3 in my 'universe', the z-6, a lighter version, and a customized one for my Assault Troopers.

That's a fair apporach, but I wanted smomething a bit more detailed just mto make sure it would work okay for the lower-tech weapons I am going to have for an upcoming adventure.

What is funny is that if you look over the stats, most real world weapons have a cyclic rate of around 550 rounds per minute, which is worth a +1D. This is true for the .50 cal MG too, but I have the .50 cal worked out to around 6D damage (most blaster weapons seem to do about 1D more damage than their slug-throwing analogues, so I'll have the E-Web as 7D with +1D Burst Value.)

In fact, if you compare your method to my "math-based" one, the two are very similar.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, that's what we've done as well. Most repeaters get +1d to hit. Some get more or less. It works pretty well and is easy.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im quite aware of the fire rate of real world miniguns. However they are vehicle mounted. Also, given the weapons seen in the movies, theres nothing saying that 'automatic' weapons in SW are faster firing than our real world weapons. Actually automatic weapons are rather slow firing and seems to be quite rare, semi auto seems to be the standard. Please note that repeating blasters are bulkier with little game mechanic difference. This seems to indicate that 'automatic' blasters actually are not that effective compared to bulk/weight, or they would be more common (Automatic blaster pistols vs real world machine pistols or small SMGs (Scorpion for example)).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im quite aware of the fire rate of real world miniguns. However they are vehicle mounted.

Real World wise, most machine guns are vehicle or tripod mounted. And for very good reasons. Even the Light Machinguns are designed to be fired braced with a bipod, and in short bursts to boot.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Also, given the weapons seen in the movies, theres nothing saying that 'automatic' weapons in SW are faster firing than our real world weapons.

Sure there is. Look at the rate of fire for the starfighters and the blasters on Jango Fetts's ship.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Actually automatic weapons are rather slow firing and seems to be quite rare, semi auto seems to be the standard.

The "slow" rates are actually quite realistic. In the real world you don't fire a weapon at it full cyclic rate-not unless you want it to jam. Short bursts is the preferred method. A .50 cal actually gets off about 2 rounds per second on full auto, and a M134 cloer to 6 or 7 than 100. Even the RoF of the standard blasters is a big high. Most people couldn't shoot that fast and expect to hit anything. But then, that is probably why the Stromtroopers keep missing. Mulit-Action Peanlties.

Now the actual blaster bolts are slow. They are slower than bullets, since we can see them.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Please note that repeating blasters are bulkier with little game mechanic difference.

Little game mechanic difference by function, true. Big Game mechanic differce by effect. The extra damage dice translate into more severe injuries. At 6D a LRB is generally lethal to most average (STR 2D) characters, and will incapacitate most heroic (STR 3D) types.

ZzaphodD wrote:

This seems to indicate that 'automatic' blasters actually are not that effective compared to bulk/weight, or they would be more common (Automatic blaster pistols vs real world machine pistols or small SMGs (Scorpion for example)).

Well, in the real world, machine pistols are not very effective. THey are generally unreliable, hard to control, and have just enough ammo to get one into trouble but not enough to get one out of it.

Something like an SMG might be effective, but it would use up power a lot faster.

I think the reasons why character scale repeating weapons are rare might just be because they aren't very effective against the sort s of vehicles that exist in Star Wars.

In the real world MGs are useful against most vehicles, including virtually all aircraft. In Star Wars they are ineffective against anything Walker-scale or higher. And the speeder scale vehicles are so fast in Star Wars to make shooting them tricky. Especially since blasters don't seem to have quite the range as slug throwers.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Real World wise, most machine guns are vehicle or tripod mounted. And for very good reasons. Even the Light Machinguns are designed to be fired braced with a bipod, and in short bursts to boot.

I dont really follow what this is supposed to prove.. I guess you mean that 'real world' MGs are impossible to fire without support. That is not the case, even if the weapon systems are really made for that. Looking at the size of a light repeater I assume its the SW SAW, which would make the Med. Repeater a LMG and a E-Web a HMG. A minigun however, is impossible to fire without a mount (No matter what is done in certain Arnold movies Wink ).

BTW, I stand corrected it seems you actually CAN fire a HMW without a mount.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwu3ivAJ68U
You wont hit anything though.. Laughing

Quote:

Sure there is. Look at the rate of fire for the starfighters and the blasters on Jango Fetts's ship.

Well, many starfigthers fire no faster than one could pull the trigger, so they seem semi-automatic. What semi automatic fighter guns do you see today? Jango Fetts ship fire with what, 5-8 rounds per second. That is slower than most jetfighter mounted autocannons today.

Quote:

The "slow" rates are actually quite realistic. In the real world you don't fire a weapon at it full cyclic rate-not unless you want it to jam. Short bursts is the preferred method. A .50 cal actually gets off about 2 rounds per second on full auto, and a M134 cloer to 6 or 7 than 100. Even the RoF of the standard blasters is a big high. Most people couldn't shoot that fast and expect to hit anything. But then, that is probably why the Stromtroopers keep missing. Mulit-Action Peanlties.

You dont fire full auto because you dont hit anything and youll just spend a lot of ammo for nothing. Where Im from assault rifles dont jam because they are fired on auto. Perhaps it depends on what rifles you are thinking about. Blasters and firearms dont really compare when it comes to firing fast semi-auto shots, as blasters dont seem to have any recoil.

Quote:

Now the actual blaster bolts are slow. They are slower than bullets, since we can see them.

Originally that was surely the result of wanting 'cinematic' bolts. Sure, the 'slow' blasters have been 'explained' but not why anyone would use a weapon that is slower than an arrow.

Quote:

Well, in the real world, machine pistols are not very effective. THey are generally unreliable, hard to control, and have just enough ammo to get one into trouble but not enough to get one out of it.

Something like an SMG might be effective, but it would use up power a lot faster.

In the real world MGs are useful against most vehicles, including virtually all aircraft. In Star Wars they are ineffective against anything Walker-scale or higher. And the speeder scale vehicles are so fast in Star Wars to make shooting them tricky. Especially since blasters don't seem to have quite the range as slug throwers.

SMG-blasters dont really exist either..

Shooting at a speeder is no more difficult than shooting at a jetfighter. Sure, helicopters are easier to hit, but then speeders can also move slowly/hover.

All this really dont add up to anything...

Blasters dont seem to be automatic in the SW universe with the exceptions of heavier weapons (ie Repeating blasters). The only really fast blaster shots seen in the movies are from ship mounted weapons, and they still fire slower than todays aircraft cannons. In the EU computer game TFU you have E-webs and Z-6 firing with a similar RoF. I havent seen the CW series where they apparently also make an appearance.

In the end I its as always up to each GM what types of weapons they want to have and what stats they will have.

Edit:
BTW, im trying to find a forum discussion of the z-6 where someone who had actually used a minigun gave his opinion about the z-6. As I was looking for something else when I found it I cant remember where it was though..

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Rotary Blasters have 3D-4D (I currently have 3 in my 'universe', the z-6, a lighter version, and a customized one for my Assault Troopers.

Obviously I dont aim for 'realistic' auto fire rules. I own the Phoenix Command 'game' that aims to create realistic gun combat, and thats enough to scare me away from 'realism' when it comes to RPG:s.

The only problem I have is that the weapons become a bit too effective vs armor and walkers. Firing a hail of 'low power' blaster shots shouldnt threaten armored targets as much as a single heavy blaster cannon. Finding a good rule without getting bogged down in the rules-swamp is the trick here.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over eager nerd author here...

The rate of fire for the Z-6 is to reflect that with a rotary weapon like this it is impossible to fire a single round. Any squeeze of the trigger is going to send multiple rounds at the enemy... hence the high damage. It's also put there to account for the high ammo rating and accommodate burst fire. It was written to balance the flavour text with in-game mechanics.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Over eager nerd author here...

The rate of fire for the Z-6 is to reflect that with a rotary weapon like this it is impossible to fire a single round. Any squeeze of the trigger is going to send multiple rounds at the enemy... hence the high damage. It's also put there to account for the high ammo rating and accommodate burst fire. It was written to balance the flavour text with in-game mechanics.

That might be, but there are no rules for the weapon in d6 (caused no doubt by the fact the WEG lost the license several years before the Z-6 was introduced). Hence my desire to do up autofire rules.

For the most part it just gives players a bit more flexibility (damage, to hit, or attack 2 targets). The Z-6 can be a bit of a beast (with 4D+1 Burst Dice) but it pays for this in two ways. First, is that it does goes through its power pack that much more quickly. Secondly, things like that tend to make a character a "blaster magnet". The character gets off one vicious barage and suddenly all the opponents take notice of him and probably start shooting at the character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: