The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

original "Introduce Yourself" thread
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> original "Introduce Yourself" thread Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 62, 63, 64  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, quite a few new people over the past month.. Sweet..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
I've been kind of getting back into old school RPGs lately, amassing a collection of old rule- and sourcebooks for Star Wars and AD&D (mostly focusing on 1E for both).

Yesss. 8) Throw in Call of Cthulhu (1E-6E) and you’ve got the Big Three RPGs, I’d say!

I'd have to agree with your "Big Three RPGs". I haven't played WEG SW that much because I'm almost always the GM. I've played and ran a lot of Basic/Expert D&D and AD&D (and a hybrid homebrewed version). I've played AD&D 2e, D&D 3e and 3.5. I still have a lot of that stuff.

I've only ran Call of Cthulhu once, but I've played it a lot. The most fun I've ever had as a player in any game's campaign was a Cthulhu 4e campaign where I played a Catholic priest inspired by the Failed Jedi template. My PC was the only one to have survived from the first adventure to the last where he realized that monthly murders he had been investigating where committed by himself - Unbeknownst to him at the time, he had contracted lycanthropy back in the first adventure of the campaign. He finally realized why the werewolf he had fought in the first adventure had a single silver bullet on his person (which my PC had taken and still had). When my PC started to transform in the bathroom while looking to a mirror, the campaign ended as he quickly loaded the silver bullet into his gun and committed suicide. The GM of that campaign (who also ran AD&D 2e and was a SW player of mine in multiple campaigns) had a real knack for horror and totally nailed it. I still have my CoC 4e rulebook.

Solo4114 wrote:
I've got a 2nd printing copy of Deities and Demigods! Very Happy

I have the version with the Cthulhu mythos too. I also have the later edition called Legends & Lore with the beautiful cover with Odin. Probably my fave AD&D book.

garhkal wrote:
Wow, quite a few new people over the past month.. Sweet..

Indeed!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, my name is Kris. I've been a fan of SW since I was very little, and a late fan of WEG D6 system. I've played a couple of sessions as a player, made a couple attempts at gamemastering. Of other RPG's I've attempted, D6 is the easiest and most versatile system I've ever played and tinkered with. I started with the Revised, but have really embraced the Revised and expanded edition. OTOH, much that I've read about the virtues of the 1st edition being more simple have eventually lead me to that version of the game, and I was happy to recently get my hands on an old, battered copy (which I supplimented a couple months later with a similarly well-worn copy of the original SW sourcebook). For fun and to show support for the system, I recently put in a pre-order for the anniversary re-print of the 1st Edition.

My enthusiasm for the system has led me to tinker with it to collected extensive notes on adapting settings that I've long been a fan of, including GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech, and the Alien/Predator/Prometheus setting. I had an extensive campaign idea for the Robotech game, and was able to use a streamlined version of D6 to get it going quite quickly (I love how character generation can be done so rapidly!) I've even used the D6 to D20 conversion rules from Wizards of the Coast's first edition of their SW game to tinker with Dungeons and Dragons conversions; if I ever gamemastered a D&D or fantasy game it would be with the D6 system.

I previously joined a forum for the D6 system, but I'm not sure why I never joined here. Hello to all my fellow D6 fans!
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Kris wrote:
Hello all, my name is Kris. I've been a fan of SW since I was very little, and a late fan of WEG D6 system. I've played a couple of sessions as a player, made a couple attempts at gamemastering. Of other RPG's I've attempted, D6 is the easiest and most versatile system I've ever played and tinkered with. I started with the Revised, but have really embraced the Revised and expanded edition. OTOH, much that I've read about the virtues of the 1st edition being more simple have eventually lead me to that version of the game, and I was happy to recently get my hands on an old, battered copy (which I supplimented a couple months later with a similarly well-worn copy of the original SW sourcebook). For fun and to show support for the system, I recently put in a pre-order for the anniversary re-print of the 1st Edition.

My enthusiasm for the system has led me to tinker with it to collected extensive notes on adapting settings that I've long been a fan of, including GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech, and the Alien/Predator/Prometheus setting. I had an extensive campaign idea for the Robotech game, and was able to use a streamlined version of D6 to get it going quite quickly (I love how character generation can be done so rapidly!) I've even used the D6 to D20 conversion rules from Wizards of the Coast's first edition of their SW game to tinker with Dungeons and Dragons conversions; if I ever gamemastered a D&D or fantasy game it would be with the D6 system.

I previously joined a forum for the D6 system, but I'm not sure why I never joined here. Hello to all my fellow D6 fans!

Welcome to the Pit, Kris. I remember you from the WEG Fan Forum/D6 Online.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Kris! I actually fiddled about with some Robotech conversions before something shiny distracted me. It should be in the location section... I'll find it and bump it.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desert Kris wrote:

Welcome!

Side note: you know there was a Robotech RPG put out by Palladium, right? You can probably still find copies of it on ebay. I have a copy of the rulebook, but never wound up playing it, so I can't comment on it as a system.
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, everybody! Smile

I remember you, too, Whill; it's really cool to look through this forum and see other posters who seem familiar from the other forum.

I'll definitely be interested to see your conversions, MrNexx. I came up with something of a kludge, that worked okay in the combat scenario my friend ran through. One simple house rule philosophy, which was inspired by the "SW rule of thumb" for keeping things simple (pick a difficulty # that seems most likely and have the players roll that). In the way that Stormtroopers are kind of throwaway bad guys, the Zendtraedi battlepods seem to be much the same; just like in the movies/anime, one of them takes a hit and their down, while the hero can take a couple hits before they're in trouble. I would then just throw a lot of storm troopers/Zendtraedi at my player. Kept the combat quick and simple.

Solo4114, yeah, I like the old Robotech RPG for some of the ideas it inspired. I had a copy of that, and my notebook of D6 conversions for when I ran the Robotech game session. What I ended up doing was using the D6 mechanic to determine successful hits in combat, and used the Robotech's damage/injury system for my player. Actually, I played a little bit with house rule I mention above and the Robotech damage rules (depending on if I wanted to ratchet up tension a little). I used the D6 for character stat levels. It probably sounds like a terrible mess, but I kept it as simple as possible were I could, I had my player stat a small handful of skills for his pilot character, based on D6; and then gave him a photocopy of the Veritech fighter's capabilities straight out of the Robotech RPG. It seemed like a pretty fun time once we got going.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6143
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool stuff! And Nexx, love the linked thread!

Side note:

Nexx, did you know that "Jack McKinney" was actually Brian Daley and James Luceno writing together?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Very cool stuff! And Nexx, love the linked thread!

Side note:

Nexx, did you know that "Jack McKinney" was actually Brian Daley and James Luceno writing together?

I did not; I figured it was a pseudonym, but wouldn't have been surprised if it was six different people, writing their own sections.
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had learned about the pseudonym identity of Jack McKinney early on. It was made pretty obvious when I found that Star Wars novels by James Luceno were as compulsively, addictively readable as the Robotech novels were. Sometimes I'll read a Luceno SW book in part because it recaptures that feeling of how well his prose agrees with my mind from when reading Robotech, as much as because it's a SW novel. I'm glad to say that I still have a couple Luceno SW novels saved for future rainy days.

I looked at the RT conversion topic and those adaptations make sense. The Zendtraedi certainly look dead on; good at combat skills, not as good with knowledge and technical abilities. I got a kick out of another poster referencing Transformers D6. I definitely collected scaling notations from one or two different Transformers adaptations to D6, probably including that one.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Robotech, but Labyrinth of Evil is my favorite Star Wars novel, and I've said for years that James Luceno is my favorite Star Wars author. Unfortunately, Tarkin was just ok and Catalyst was a whole lotta meh.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't know anything about Robotech, but Labyrinth of Evil is my favorite Star Wars novel, and I've said for years that James Luceno is my favorite Star Wars author. Unfortunately, Tarkin was just ok and Catalyst was a whole lotta meh.

I really enjoyed Luceno's Darth Palgueis, but, man, you're right. Catalyst was a slog, and Tarkin was a little bit of good mixed in with a whole lotta missed opportunity.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Whill wrote:

I really enjoyed Luceno's Darth Palgueis, but, man, you're right. Catalyst was a slog, and Tarkin was a little bit of good mixed in with a whole lotta missed opportunity.

Darth Plagueis was great. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader was good. Cloak of Darkness was pretty good and answered all the questions I had after TPM. Luceno's reference book work is good too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Desert Kris
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil were fantastic, I enjoyed them so much. There are one or two of the Robotech books that exemplify were he can go wrong with a novel. And honestly, my experience of those is that I still insanely enjoy his writing, paragraph by paragraph, page by page; and even when I can identify what's going wrong with the assembled whole of the novel, I still enjoy reading his prose in the moment. I've seen Labyrinth of Evil catch flack for being continuity heavy, and I noticed the emphasis while reading, but ultimately didn't care. I could give an objective review of his work, detached from my liking of his prose.

I haven't read Cloak of Deception, but I have an inkling of it's role as filling in the blanks for The Phantom Menace. One of those I'm saving for a rainy day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 63 of 64

Jump to: