The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Stats Books Re-edit - Corrections and Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The Stats Books Re-edit - Corrections and Suggestions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I could tie the difficulty to the number of rounds it takes. Something like:

3 rounds - Moderate
2 rounds - Difficult
1 round - Very Difficult
1 action - Heroic
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems reasonable.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me, too, although under most circumstances characters won't need to worry about the roll.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, a Moderate difficulty could still result in a fumble. And if the character fails critically he could ram into it and end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with a smashed hyper-ring.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an adventure seed. Smile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is. It's amazing how vulnerable the Jedi make themselves with those hyper-rings. It's so easy for the bad guy to go and blow up their hyper-ring while the Jedi is away in his mission, only to return and find out he has no way to go back home.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I don't know, a Moderate difficulty could still result in a fumble. And if the character fails critically he could ram into it and end up stranded in the middle of nowhere with a smashed hyper-ring.

It's possible but remote since practically every ship that uses a hyperspace booster ring has a good maneuverability rating.

Oh, how about apply a Maneuverability penalty or cap to ships with a booster ring attached? I notice that the ships seem to dump those booster rings ASAP, rather than flying around with the things.

Also, the writeup for the V-19 Torrent starfighter (used by Clone Troopers) listed with blaster cannons with range stats of 1-3/12/25.
Typically, blaster cannons have ranges of 1-5/10/17 and laser cannonas have 1-3/12/25.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: SAGA conversions Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting rid of the extra "+1" that weapons seem to get when cnverted over from SAGA. AFAIK the extra +1 is to help the lightsaber (2d8 SAGA) end up with 5D damage in D6.

My suggestion is to take the weapon7s average damage in SAGA, add 1 and treat it as pips in D6. So a Blaster rifle that does 3d8 in SAGA would have an average damage of 13.5, or 15 pip, for 5D.

Lightsabers, in SAGA ignore DR, so thier damage is increased by 50% (+5) before conversion.

I think that would make all the D20 and SAGA weapon's match up with thier D6 counterparts.

SO what we'd end p with would be:

3d4 = 3D
3d6 = 4D
3d8 = 5D
3d10= 6D
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Oh, how about apply a Maneuverability penalty or cap to ships with a booster ring attached? I notice that the ships seem to dump those booster rings ASAP, rather than flying around with the things.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I'll add something like that as well.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SAGA conversions Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I was thinking of getting rid of the extra "+1" that weapons seem to get when cnverted over from SAGA. AFAIK the extra +1 is to help the lightsaber (2d8 SAGA) end up with 5D damage in D6.

My suggestion is to take the weapon7s average damage in SAGA, add 1 and treat it as pips in D6. So a Blaster rifle that does 3d8 in SAGA would have an average damage of 13.5, or 15 pip, for 5D.

Lightsabers, in SAGA ignore DR, so thier damage is increased by 50% (+5) before conversion.

I think that would make all the D20 and SAGA weapon's match up with thier D6 counterparts.

3d4 = 3D
3d6 = 4D
3d8 = 5D
3d10= 6D

I'll run the numbers on this and see what we come up with. Generally I've done my charts based simply on comparison. Those that have X damage in Saga have Y damage in official D6 stat blocks. It just so happens that they tend to favor those that wind up with a +1 or a +2 at the end. Nonetheless, I'll take a look at what you've got and see how the averages play out over the weapons that exist in both systems.

Though, at this point, if things are only going to be adjusted by pip or two, I know I'm not terribly anxious to go back over every last conversion for something that will make such a small difference, at least without a preponderance of evidence suggesting that the previous conversion system is horked.

Perhaps I'm just tired, but there it is.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sure is. It's amazing how vulnerable the Jedi make themselves with those hyper-rings. It's so easy for the bad guy to go and blow up their hyper-ring while the Jedi is away in his mission, only to return and find out he has no way to go back home.

Ah yes, the lengths to which the Jedi will go to look cool. Rolling Eyes

Serioiusly, the maneuver cap sounds like a good plan.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SAGA conversions Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

3d4 = 3D
3d6 = 4D
3d8 = 5D
3d10= 6D

Actually, I don't think there's any need to redo any conversions. Regardless of what method you used to arrive at that table, that equivalency is pretty much what I've always used for conversion, simply based on the fact that in d20 a hold-out blaster does 3d4 damage, a blaster pistol 3d6 and a heavy blaster 3d8...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SAGA conversions Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
[
Actually, I don't think there's any need to redo any conversions. Regardless of what method you used to arrive at that table, that equivalency is pretty much what I've always used for conversion, simply based on the fact that in d20 a hold-out blaster does 3d4 damage, a blaster pistol 3d6 and a heavy blaster 3d8...

My "complaint" is that Cheshire's current guidelines tend tio bump the balster rifle damages up 1 pip to 5D+1.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: V Wing Space rating Reply with quote

THe Alpha-3 V-Wing fighter is supposed to be one of the fastest fighters, yet it's converted Space rating is only 8-9. Since it is faster than an A-Wing, and nearly as fast as a Eta-2 in SAGA, maybe it should be upped to Space 12 or 13?
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SAGA conversions Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Gry Sarth wrote:
[

My "complaint" is that Cheshire's current guidelines tend tio bump the balster rifle damages up 1 pip to 5D+1.

I'll take a look again at existing examples, though if you take a look at Gry's weapons book, you've got a fair few that have 5D damage, but you also have a number of examples that range between 5D+1 and 5D+2. There are some that even do a ridiculous amount of damage in the neighborhood of 10D stun, and some that do 7D.

Again, I'll do a number crunch and see what we come up with in terms of the tendencies when we have examples that exist in both systems.. Though it's also worth noting that Wizards has tried to bump weapon damages up, particularly the further they go along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: