The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids, power and... oh crap, I was shortsighted!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Droids, power and... oh crap, I was shortsighted!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Droids, power and... oh crap, I was shortsighted! Reply with quote

An important aspect in the narrative involving droids in Star Wars is their limited power reserves. In A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back we see C-3PO powering down to save energy, R2 charging in both the Lars' garage and from a portable generator on Dagobah, and several other examples of power saving and recharging... and let's not forget our old friends, the GNK ("Gonk") power droids, who's function is to recharge other droids (and other items too)!!

It's an aspect that is, like many other aspects of the SW universe, not covered in the WEG (or to my knowledge the d20) rules. I have the inclination that power capacity and use would be an aspect of droid characters and NPCs alike, particularly in situations where a quick recharge isn't an option. So... House Rule time!!!

I guess the issue here is to determine how long a droid's installed power source would last under normal circumstances, factors that might reduce or increase operation time and how long it takes to charge. I find that authors tend to either have their droids take every opportunity to shut down or charge that they have, or completely ignore the idea altogether... so there's not a lot of consistency in the books (perhaps because this tends to be an outside the scenes idea). Any thoughts on how long the average droid power cell should last?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that droid cell packs last forever, but the screen writers run on fossil fuel...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could replace the stamina skill with a power supply stat for droid characters. If a droid spends CPs in power supply it is making an effort to run more efficiently.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was just thinking that it could be analogous to Stamina. But, with that idea in mind, a mechanic is still needed to determine max life, recharge time and the like. The Stamina analogue would probably be used to keep going when power starts to dwindle... and could be used, as you mention, to represent max charge level... but what would that level mean Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps call the stamina analogue Battery Life and have it take the following formula to determine recharge time

(Droid's highest attribute) x (Battery Life) = Recharge time in hours

That way a load lifter with 3D in strength (all other attributes at 1D) and battery life at it's base strength level would take 3x3 hours to recharge.

If you treat maximum charge as stamina and recharging as eating then you can just use the standard starvation rules to determine how long a droid's battery will last.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually give droids a 24 hr go capacity between charging. 2 hrs after they are at -1d due to low power, 4 hrs is -2d, 6 is -3d.. More than 6 hrs is out of power.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the latest Clone Wars episode "The Deserter" showed what I believe to be the first example of droids running out of battery power.

Grievous is stranded on Seleucami with a bunch of B1 battle droids, and they are marching from one crashed escape pod to the other. Grievous is mounting a Reek, but the other droids are on foot, and eventually they start deactivating one by one due to lack of power. In the show it's not clear how much time ellapses until they start running out of power, but it couldn't have been more than a day. So, less than a day of hard marching for a crappy battle droid to run out of juice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: