The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, even allowing for your two cases, Vader's cybernetics and Qui-Gons Mortal Wound (I think he lasted more than 12 rounds, Lucas must use the STR roll instead of 2D), there are all the other battles.

To me, it looks like lightsabers only get to do full damage when they are used against a target who cannot block the attack. If the opponent can block (has a lightsaber or electrostaff) then the hits seem to be mitigated somewhat.

If run "by the book" Luke probably would have defeated Vader at Bespin with that "glancing hit".

Lightsaber Combat, is, IMO one of the letdowns of the RPG. Lightsaber duels, rather than being epic fights, going back and forth, moving around the terrain, with a lot of flashy swordplay, as in the films, are short, deadly, and not very interesting. Most are over in a round of two. He who hits first, wins.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that we have a blade that fluff-wise cuts through anything, so if you hit just the earlobe only the earlobe is lost. Rules-wise it always hits full body hits though... Rolling Eyes

The same can be said for heavy blasters and other ranged weapons.

Its the drawback of a 'simple' system.

I can recommend Phoenix Command for a realistic damage system for firearms (can be modified for energy weapons). If you buy a certain supplement you can even see where in the body the bullet stops (if it doesnt go straight through)....
However, its a game played in two second rounds that has the speed of a one legged snail and as much fun. Wink

Anyone coming up with a 'simple' system for damage modifications, please let me know. One idea is to make the 'wild die' in damage instead of modifying the damage roll (which means little when damage is 10D) instead put a 'cap' on damage. Ie, if the wild die is a 1, then maximum damage is 'stunned', if a 2 maximum wound level is 'wounded'. This represents a glancing blow and a hit to a non vital area..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
TESB: Luke hits Vader in shoulder, Vader moans.
That would fall under "glancing blow".
jmanski wrote:
TESB: Vader cuts off Lukes hand
TPM: Maul stabs Qui-Gonn
ATOC: Obi-Wan cuts off Grievous' arms individually
ATOC: Dooku slashes Obi-Wans leg and arm, and cuts off Ani's arm
ROS: Obi-Wan slashes Ani THREE times cutting off legs and an arm

There are probably more but I'm just shootin' from the hip.

Keep in mind that any loss of limb, game mechanic wise, is fatal damage, where the player/GM chooses to maim rather than kill. So the damage rating is 16+ in all those cases except for Dooku slashing Obi-Wan; an Incapacitated type result, and as mentioned, Qui-Gonn getting a Mortally Wounded result.

Really, in the scope of things, three hits that didn't result in a "Dead" level damage result out of all the other outright deaths and limb losses doesn't amount to much other than what might be expected due to Wild Die results.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
jmanski wrote:
TESB: Luke hits Vader in shoulder, Vader moans.
That would fall under "glancing blow".

Which does not exist under the D6 rules for lightsabers... Wink
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play a few more games Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are countless punches, kicks, and other brawling attacks during lightsaber fights. I know these are generally considered "brawling attacks", but I see them as low damage lightsaber hits.

Why would you brawl against someone weilding a lightsaber when their parry can cut off your limb?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The problem is that we have a blade that fluff-wise cuts through anything, so if you hit just the earlobe only the earlobe is lost. Rules-wise it always hits full body hits though... Rolling Eyes

The same can be said for heavy blasters and other ranged weapons.

Its the drawback of a 'simple' system.

THe are hit location rules, but basically yeah, it is a problem. IMO I don't think it is as much a drawback with the location/body hit as it is with Degress of Success. Every hit with a lightsaber does a lot of dice damage-at least when wielded by a character skilled in Control.

Also, the nature of the Lightsaber Combat power and Jedi all tends to promote a nearly superhuman degree of control with the weapon.

ZzaphodD wrote:

I can recommend Phoenix Command for a realistic damage system for firearms (can be modified for energy weapons). If you buy a certain supplement you can even see where in the body the bullet stops (if it doesnt go straight through)....
However, its a game played in two second rounds that has the speed of a one legged snail and as much fun. Wink

I can think of several others that are better and more playable. BRTC's Timelords for instance.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Anyone coming up with a 'simple' system for damage modifications, please let me know. One idea is to make the 'wild die' in damage instead of modifying the damage roll (which means little when damage is 10D) instead put a 'cap' on damage. Ie, if the wild die is a 1, then maximum damage is 'stunned', if a 2 maximum wound level is 'wounded'. This represents a glancing blow and a hit to a non vital area..

I've got a couple of ideas "in the works". None have been playtested.

Option 1) Cap the damage result to the Margin of Difference between the attack and the defense. The characters gets to roll lots of dice, but will needs to beat his foe by a lot to do reall damage. Note that this would apply only when the foe is armed with a weapon that can block a lightsaber.

Option 2) Use the damage rules from SpecForces instead of the normal "add Control" rule. Then break LS combat into LS (Control) and LS (Sense) powers (like with Instinctive Atrogation), making it a 1 skill power.

Option 3) Substitute Control for the 5D damage instead of adding it.

Option 4) Use Combat Maneuvers. Basically make "swordplay" rolls for duelists and depending on the results of the roll, the winner can perform some sort of fancy trick or maneuver. I was working on something along these lines, when MRQII was released and did something similar-and hopefully adaptable.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Also, the nature of the Lightsaber Combat power and Jedi all tends to promote a nearly superhuman degree of control with the weapon.

Ya mean... kinda like a Jedi?? Very Happy
Seriously, though, I do agree that Lighsaber Combat doesn't present a wonderful system for handling the use of a lightsaber, it does illustrate the hightened capabilities Jedi have over, well, everyone else in the setting. Jedi have crazy @$$ reflexes, incredible accuracy and precision... lightsabers cut through enemies left right and center... that's Star Wars.

I actually find that there isn't an ability to extend to all forms of combat similarly to be odd; we see it in action in the films and print all the time, but not so much with the game mechanic (Combat Sense doesn't quite cut it imo)

atgxtg wrote:
I've got a couple of ideas "in the works". None have been playtested.

Option 1) Cap the damage result to the Margin of Difference between the attack and the defense. The characters gets to roll lots of dice, but will needs to beat his foe by a lot to do reall damage. Note that this would apply only when the foe is armed with a weapon that can block a lightsaber.

Option 2) Use the damage rules from SpecForces instead of the normal "add Control" rule. Then break LS combat into LS (Control) and LS (Sense) powers (like with Instinctive Atrogation), making it a 1 skill power.

Option 3) Substitute Control for the 5D damage instead of adding it.

Option 4) Use Combat Maneuvers. Basically make "swordplay" rolls for duelists and depending on the results of the roll, the winner can perform some sort of fancy trick or maneuver. I was working on something along these lines, when MRQII was released and did something similar-and hopefully adaptable.

Some interesting ideas there, really. I think Zaphod offered up another alternative in a different thread where you gain half of your Control and Sense dice instead of the full die code. That would nicely slow down the progression of power while still maintaining the super human capabilities of the Jedi.

Your suggestions look like they could work to make saber-saber fights more interesting (the current rules are pretty flat), but in a more general sense, for the most part (1 and 4 mostly) I think they needlessly complicate things. Give them some play test and let us know how they work out for ya!!

jmanski wrote:
Well, there are countless punches, kicks, and other brawling attacks during lightsaber fights. I know these are generally considered "brawling attacks", but I see them as low damage lightsaber hits.

Why would you brawl against someone weilding a lightsaber when their parry can cut off your limb?

This is really more of a limitation in the rules rather than a sensibility thing. The game mechanics don't deal well with pinned weapons, speedy opportunistic attacks and the like that make a brawling effort worth while in a sword or lightsaber fight… obviously you don't extend a limb when it's likely that it'll be cut off by your opponent, they're used as surprise opportunity attacks, which throw your opponent off balance or stuns them, leaving them open to more powerful attacks that they'd otherwise be able to deal with </runonsentence>. They're tactical! Let's not forget that cinematically, they look spectacular Smile

I can't see them as a lightsaber attack any more than I'd see them as a knife attack without a knife.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games I've been trying to make lightsaber dueling a little more interesting, by adding in special maneuvers, this also equates to both player Jedi, and NPCs having to be a little more balanced than just a high lightsaber skill, with high control and sense. In my games, I allow my players to make a lightsaber roll, to successfully perform a brawling attack. Now, regardless of how high the lightsaber roll is, what it effectively does is allows the attacker to keep his opponent's lightsaber busy, while he moves in for a kick, elbow, headbutt, punch, ect... I adopted the system with some minor tweaks from the Lightsabers.pdf. I'm not sure if anyone else has it. But, I turned the various lightsaber forms into (A) Lightsaber skills, each 1D the form is raised, a new technique is learned, and each 1D the standard lightsaber skill is progressed, a basic technique is learned. I don't have a hard copy of it, but I can see about posting it in a separate forum.

I personally got tired of lightsaber contests equating to a bucket of dice contest. With this, hopefully even a less skilled fighter can use his surroundings, and some clever ideas to overcome a superior foe. That's the theory of course. I haven't however had much of a chance to play test it.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Ya mean... kinda like a Jedi?? Very Happy

Seriously, though, I do agree that Lighsaber Combat doesn't present a wonderful system for handling the use of a lightsaber, it does illustrate the hightened capabilities Jedi have over, well, everyone else in the setting. Jedi have crazy @$$ reflexes, incredible accuracy and precision... lightsabers cut through enemies left right and center... that's Star Wars.

Yeah, except Jedi don't seem to be able to maintain that degree of control in lightsaber duels. Otherwise Luke wouldn't have gotten that "glancing blow" hit. To me it seems like this drop off in ability only seems to happen in dules.

Maybe LS Combat dice should cancel each other out, with the greater skilled combatant getting the difference? Basically if Jedi can use Control to hit where it will have maximum effect, it would make sense that they can also use that Control to prevent those same vulnerable spots from attack and force the oppoent to attack less vital areas.

Ankhanu wrote:

I actually find that there isn't an ability to extend to all forms of combat similarly to be odd; we see it in action in the films and print all the time, but not so much with the game mechanic (Combat Sense doesn't quite cut it imo)

There sort of is, if you use the SpecForce book, with the ability to trade off skill for damage (exactly what the Jedi are doing with LS Combat). Personally, I wish they had simply incorporated the rules fro SpecForces and just gave Jedi extra skill dice from Control or Sense. (maybe COntrol for Atk, and Sense for Parry?)

Your suggestions look like they could work to make saber-saber fights more interesting (the current rules are pretty flat), but in a more general sense, for the most part (1 and 4 mostly) I think they needlessly complicate things. Give them some play test and let us know how they work out for ya!!

Will do. But before I can test it, I got to write it.

I think #4 has some potential and won't be needlessly complex. In a nutshell what happens is that both characters make a skill roll, and the winner gets to pick some sort of stunt/goodie to pull off. The greater the difference, the better the goodie. So we could add in the kicks, elbow strikes, leaping around for position, locking weapons, pushing others back, beating down defense, glancing strikes, etc.

The idea is to try and make the fights cinematic and exciting. Something more than:

Player: I got a 34

GM: The Sith guy rolled a 33. You hit.

Player (rolls dice): Uh, 36 for damage.

GM: Hmm, even after spending character points he's only got a 19. He drops.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it will make lightsaber fights more complex. But, I do think that it will give the players, and NPCs a fighting chance at forming their own "style" of fighting. Not everyone is of the opinion that I'm going to hack my opponent down, and instead of discouraging players from trying to come up with their own cinematic ideas on how they're going to attack by penalizing them with multiple action penalties, and perhaps loss of limbs. This makes it more like an actual fight.

I've done my best to try and make Jedi games interesting with flavor in duels, the only problem is, some players don't like having outcomes thrown their way that were never intended, simply by liberty of the GM's authority. I'm hoping that this system, which could also be applied to standard melee combat, could make for much more interesting, knock down, drag out fights. Hopefully which are more realistic and cinematic.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

I have played the game since the 80s, so I think I got the idea..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

In all that time you've not had many Wound or less results from successful lightsaber attacks? I find that very surprising; the dice favour you quite splendidly.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

In all that time you've not had many Wound or less results from successful lightsaber attacks? I find that very surprising; the dice favour you quite splendidly.

As pointed out above we have for a long time used half Control as a damage bonus, so Jedis may start with a 'mere' 6D in lightsaber damage.

Befor we played by the book and no, we didnt have that many wound or less results even though the dice favoured the victim quite often...

7D+ vs 3-5D (with heavy armour)...victim has to very favoured indeed...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I don't know if it will make lightsaber fights more complex. But, I do think that it will give the players, and NPCs a fighting chance at forming their own "style" of fighting. Not everyone is of the opinion that I'm going to hack my opponent down, and instead of discouraging players from trying to come up with their own cinematic ideas on how they're going to attack by penalizing them with multiple action penalties, and perhaps loss of limbs. This makes it more like an actual fight.

Exactly.

In fact, I was thinking of diffent styles getting "discounts" on certain maneuvers.

One tweak I'm thinking of trying is with the mishap rules.

What I'm thinking of trying is to allowing players to opt to take a mishap, but gain a die bonus (+5, +10?) for doing so.

The theory being that we could have situations where a character desperately parries a blow, but gets, knowed down, disarmed kicked, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: