The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Psudoscience and fantastic technology
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong -> Psudoscience and fantastic technology Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a +10 difficulty modifier (or -10 to the roll... same idea) would make sense. It's the same principle used when parrying a melee attack while unarmed, the attacker gets a +10 modifier to their roll. Likewise someone using melee parry against a brawling attack gets a +5 modifier to their roll (p.90 R&E).

As for the experience, it's just a couple sword-based courses during some of my old martial arts training. One of the techniques taught was blocking/diverting a sword attack by getting close where the sword is useless... of course, it's a very dangerous trick to accomplish. It's generally advisable to simply avoid the attack by getting out of range.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Cracken's is a 1st ed. book, let's not forget... there probably wasn't any real rhyme or reason in how cyber points were assigned Razz Trying to figure out what that rhyme or reason is is ultimately going to end in frustration. The only thing we can do is leave them as they are, or rewrite the entries to conform to some arbitrary code of our devise.

I don't think we'd have to rewrite all of the enteries, just the part on the cyber points.

However, you're comment on remember that Cracken's Rebel Field Guide is a 1st edition is far more than a good point. It actually caused me to do a little checking. In the stats for Replacement Prosthetics Gy mentions both the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook and the Pirates and Privateers sourcebook. No stats in the former, it's just a description of how replacement prosthetics work. But Pirates and Privateers does have stats and it is a second edition book. The stats don't include cyber points, but they do include what looks to be a new set of rules for cybernetics and DSPs.

Page 51, Pirates and Privateers:

Quote:
There is also less tangible costs. First, many people have a strong prejudice against prosthetics, even cosmetic prosthetics (Luke Skywalker's artificial hand is a closely held secret). People who have obvious cybernetics are generally met with outright fear, suspicion and hatred. Second, Dark Side Points accumulate more quickly among the partially artificial. A cybernetically enhanced character who eivil is receives more Dark Side Points when they commit evil. A replacement is only considered a half-enhancement for this purpose, rounding down.

• No. of Enhancements - Extra Dark Side Points
  • 1-2 - +1
  • 3-4 - +2
  • 5-6 - +3

Now you may have brought this up in the OOC thread Ankhanu, but since I started the whole thing with trying to figure out the rhyme orreason of the cyber points I figure it's worth bringing up again. Since a lot of the prosthetics Gry posted in both his Weapons Stasts and Equipment Stats pdfs don't have the cyber points listed, part of my bringing up the rhyme or reason was so we could figure out if we should assign cyber points to those and if so how many for each. But with this should we chuck the whole cyber points thing in favor ofthe number of cybernetics you have earns this many extra DSPs?

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the same table in the thread I posted earlier, lifted from Galladium's Fantastic Technology (also 2e). Honestly, I don't think I'd noticed the entry for Cyber Points in item descriptions until you brought it up... This is where my confusion on the subject and the repulse hand being worth more cyber points... I couldn't see why it would and thought it a little arbitrary Razz

So yeah, my initial understanding seems to be the 2e ruling. We don't need to do anything but ignore the 1e rules.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me.

Wanted Poster
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can do that but I'm not sure if it's fair to change the system right after Tiny tries to call on the Dark Side but before it's effects are resolved.

Obviously I'm cool with Tiny getting less DSPs and a lesser chance of falling to the dark side (that said it's still at least 2 DSPs and possibly 3) but it's Vong's call.

The 2nd Ed system is much easier to understand however and it'll work even if someone ends up inventing cybernetics.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing that needs to change is Vong saying that a broken enhancement is worth a replacement... easy enough to do if he wants to do it, as it's a made up rule.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you've got the possibility under the 1st edition rules of failing in your attempt to use the Force, though it's pretty low. A character that tries using the Force who has any cyber points must roll 1D. If the results are over their total number of cyber points, they can use the Force as described. Equal to or under and they fail to call on the Force. 2 cyber points and Tiny has to get a real bad roll not to use the Force and the dark side now.

Like you said, it's Vong's call.

Wanted Poster
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer 2nd Ed rules then, I do like the idea that non-functional cybernetics are worth less cyber points it does make sense to stick with existing rulesets until we've hashed it out properly.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: