The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Scavenger's Guide to Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Scavenger's Guide to Droids Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some tweaking with this. I'd like comments.

Quote:

Personality Downloader
Type: Custom made droid personality override device
Cost: 5,000
Availability: 3, X
Game Notes: A personality downloader is an illegal device used by pirates and other underworld personalities to override a droid’s programming and install a new personality and commandeer a droid for their own use. A personality downloader is affixed to one of the droid’s sockets, and then the character must make a droid programming/repair roll versus the droid’s Perception. If the character’s roll succeeds, then the new personality programming is installed and overwhelms the droid’s programming within 5 minutes.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 53)

Okay, and since I'm posting them here before the PDF is made, nobody is going to call me to task after the final version comes out right? Smile Nahh... that'd never happen. Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tactical Battle Computer
Model: Serv-O-Droid VT-21 Tacticomp
Type: Remote vehicle controller
Cost: 5,000 (transceiver set: 20)
Availability: 2, R
Game Notes: A tactical battle computer is a set of software packages, transceivers, and a central computer. First, it provides a level of safety by restricting any droid with Tactical Battle Computer software installed from using any weapon other than a weapon tagged with the computer’s transceiver. Second, it interlinks and coordinates battle droids or security droids providing them a tactical advantage. In game terms, the Tactical Battle Computer automatically commands troops to allow them to coordinate attacks.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 54)

Here's another one that didn't really work with a straight conversion, and so there are a LOT of liberties taken with this. However, I'm not sure if this piece of equipment is just too much power.

Comments please.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one that I tweaked with. Some feedback would really be nice on these things.

Quote:

Chrystadurium Plating
Model: Techno Union Chrystadurium Armor
Type: Armor plating upgrade
Cost: 50,000
Game Notes: Adds +2D energy resistance, but offers no additional protection for physical attacks. This armor incurs a -1D to all Dexterity rolls. Droid armor is installed and integrated into the droid’s chasis, and thus cannot be easily donned or removed before or after battle.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 54)

Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the Personality Downloader just seems a bit to easy to use (munchiny). Shouldn't it be a bit more difficult then just rolling a characters programming/repair skill vs. droids perception. I do understand hardest part of the Downloader can be actually getting it on the droid but most droids only have perception of 1D-2D vs. a character who normally would have double or more than that in their programming/repair.

As alternative would a base difficulty plus the droid's perception be better to roll against. My thought is it takes a base programming/repair roll to access the droid programming if a PC were to hack the droid. So it would make sense for the Downloader to be a bit more difficutly to use.

The other alternative would allow the droid to make multiple attempts to resist. Not to many maybe one per minute.

Just my thoughts.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original text stated that once every ten minutes the droid and the attacker re-roll. I thought it seemed a bit odd, though that might be a way to do it. However, even with a perception of 1D-2D, it still isn't much of a contest. How about it is Easy, PLUS the droid's perception, AND the droid may re-roll every 10 minutes against the original attack number? It just never made sense to me that the attacker also re-rolls every ten minutes.

Do you think that adding these two components together makes it balanced, or does it skew it too much in the droid's favor. I think it may be wise taking the enormous cost of the device into consideration.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is just a bit of a vent or a rant on my part. I've converted some pretty strange equipment and weapons since doing my share of the conversion books, but Scavenger's Guide to Droids really takes the cake! A tape dispenser for crying out loud... I'm converting a friggin' TAPE DISPENSER!!!!

*sigh* Sorry, this book is really hard to make good progress with because I am having the hardest time getting into any of the ideas behind the stats that I'm generating.

Rant over, putting the book down for the night, and I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm going to go practice my rapier drills now.
Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire, I had a chance to look at Scavenger's Guide. The Personality Downloader is definetly a hard piece of gear to convert. The description has a lot to be desired for.

I think the best way to deal with it after looking the book over is this. Use a programming/repair vs droids perception to start the Downloader. Then every 10 minutes the droid has the chance to fight the Downloader against either a preset die total or easy/moderate difficulty. The availability might also may need to be tweaked from 3 to 4 because it a custom built device.

The simplest built Downloaders would have a preset difficulty while more advanced designs could have a Die code and the most advanced would have a droid brain to do all the work for a PC against the droids Perception. Just threw that bit in for anyone that might want to design their own.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really really appreciate your input, and I've made changes accordingly.

Here's another one that I changed a bit. They have an astromech translation unit that costs 250 (plus software), and I upped the cost of this thing from 20 to 150 just to make it fit more in line of what's already established.

Quote:

Earphone Binary-to-Basic Translator
Type: Droid credit reader
Cost: 150
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Most binary droids come equipped with sockets allowing them to display Basic text on a computer screen. This device translates the binary message into a vocal message, and delivers it via an ear bud. This most rudimentary translation device and software relays a static vocal message without inflection or any variance in tone.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 57)

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Internal Defenses
Model: Tendrandndo Arms Secure Droid Tazer
Type: Authorized access protection system
Cost: 1,500
Game Notes: The internal defenses activate when a character attempts to access any of the droid’s maintenance panels without the droid’s permission. When the defenses activate, the character must make a Difficult brawling parry roll. If the roll fails, then the character receives a powerful electric shock, and takes 4D damage. The defense mechanism remains active until it is disabled, or until its power is depleted after 10 attacks.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 60)

I thought this one was questionable.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lameness kills me. So I added a bit of a Star Wars duct tape joke. The thing about the attacks is straight out of the book. I didn't make that up.

Quote:
Mesh Tape Dispenser
Model: Kalibac Industries Tape Dispenser
Type: Droid tape dispenser
Cost: 10
Availability: 1
Game Notes: Using a mesh tape dispenser the droid can apply mesh tape to anything in reach of its manipulator arm. Mesh tape has a dark side and a light side. It may be used to surround beings, and bind their limbs together. If the droid makes a successful brawling attack against a character, the mesh tape may bind a beings arms or legs. Binding the legs reduces the character’s movement to 3. Any limb that is bound incurs a -1D Dexterity penalty to the bound limb.

How did we ever manage to roleplay without stats for tape before?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
The lameness kills me. So I added a bit of a Star Wars duct tape joke. The thing about the attacks is straight out of the book. I didn't make that up.

Quote:
Mesh Tape Dispenser
Model: Kalibac Industries Tape Dispenser
Type: Droid tape dispenser
Cost: 10
Availability: 1
Game Notes: Using a mesh tape dispenser the droid can apply mesh tape to anything in reach of its manipulator arm. Mesh tape has a dark side and a light side. It may be used to surround beings, and bind their limbs together. If the droid makes a successful brawling attack against a character, the mesh tape may bind a beings arms or legs. Binding the legs reduces the character’s movement to 3. Any limb that is bound incurs a -1D Dexterity penalty to the bound limb.

How did we ever manage to roleplay without stats for tape before?

Is this real, or is this a joke? Either way, your reaction - Laughing
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only joke in there is "the tape has a light side and a dark side." Granted, the language in the actual book doesn't say "surround" and "bind" but I decided to use those words to bring it closer to Obi-Wan's speech in E IV
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would post the Remote Receiver Jammer in comparison to something that we converted for Galaxy at War. I thought it would be best for things to remain as consistent as possible while still accounting for flavor text and described game mechanics. I'm willing to take suggestions as to how to tweak. Should I make it more consistent with what was written earlier, or just try to stay true to the text that was presented?
Quote:

Remote Receiver Jammer
Model: MicroThrust ComTech DroidJam 7T
Type: droid space heating element
Cost: 2,000
Availability: 2, X
Game Notes: Not unlike a comm scrambler, a remote receive jammer interrupts nearby transmissions and receptions. However, unlike the comm scrambler, the remote receiver jammer only interferes with those signals that remote processors use to communicate with droid receivers. Upon an Easy communications roll, all friendly and hostile droid remote receivers within 20 km are flooded with white noise and jammed. Working around the jamming to find an open channel requires a vs. Perception roll. The droid harboring the remote receiver jammer must re-roll its communications skill every round to continue jamming a remote processor’s attempts to re-establish control of its droids.
Source: Scavenger’s Guide to Droids (page 61)
Quote:

Com Scrambler
Model: MicroThrust ComTech FastJam 6a
Type: Communications disruption unit
Skill: Communications
Cost: 6,000
Availability: 2, X
Game Notes: A com scrambler is mounted on a backpack unit and carried into enemy lines, connected to a power source, and then left behind. Upon an Easy communications roll, all friendly and hostile communication, HoloNet transmission, and droid remote receivers within 20 km are flooded with white noise and jammed. Working around the jamming to find an open channel requires a vs. communication roll +10. The roll must be made every 10 minutes, as the com scrambler continually scans and adapts to block signals it locates.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 46)

jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote keep it as is. They seem similar yet different enough to warrant the differences.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. From what I read, the remote receiver jammer is essentially a comm jammer specifically attuned to disrupting only droid signals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: