The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

False Light Side Aura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> False Light Side Aura
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: False Light Side Aura Reply with quote

So I was reading about this power the other day, and an idea came to me which would make this a very useful story tool in my game. However I can't find the force power for it (if one even exists).

Therefore, I'm asking if someone here knows where I might find a stat block for this power, or if one doesn't exist, someone may be willing to help me create one?

Cheers,

Nefasius
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you read about it?
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... not sure exactly, I can't seem to find where it was, however it was probably (gasp) Wookiepedia haha. I think it was in relation to Darths Bane and Zannah though.

Could be wrong.
MGray
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefasius wrote:
Er... not sure exactly, I can't seem to find where it was, however it was probably (gasp) Wookiepedia haha. I think it was in relation to Darths Bane and Zannah though.

Could be wrong.

In...Darth Bane: Rule of Two Darth Zannah uses Sith Sorcery to create a false light side aura to infiltrate the Jedi Temple and gain info on Orbalisks for Bane.

I think the best way to emulate it might be similar in scope to the defense against the Life Sense power. Maybe something like:

False Aura
Control Power?
Difficulty: Easy?
Prerequisites: Life Detection, Life Sense, whatever passes for Sith Sorcery in your game.
This power may be kept up.

One of the more useful application of Sith Sorcery. The Sith cloaks themselves in a false Light Side aura, confusing the senses of those examining them. When this power is activated the Sith rolls their Control dice, their result is added to the difficulty of any roll to perceive them as anything other than a user of the Light Side of the Force.

You might jack up the difficulty, as the book states that the techniques of Sith Sorcery are said to be pretty difficult, even for accomplished Sith. Also this might be better served flavor wise as an Alter power as you are altering your aura. Your choice really, but the mechanics of it should be pretty easy, if not the use of it.
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mgray,

I was thinking along those lines, I was going to make it control and alter, in two steps, and make it require concentration, with perhaps a sense roll to detect if its is a false aura, I'm still Ironing it out but this will help a lot.

cheers,

Nefasius
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, id say Alter first, to change your aura, control to keep control of your aura, and sense to know what your aiming for, and if you got it or not.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah all three of them would be good,

I would personally go, Control first to control the darkside, then alter to change to good, with a possible sense to try see if anyone can see through it,

I also thought that too bring it down (by another character) would require them to make an opposed roll, Sith rolls their control to see if they can maintain it against the Jedi's sense to see if they can see through it, with a chart to determine results (on teh jedis end)

E.G. 0-3 above notices that something 'doesn't quite ring true' about the charater in an aura but doesn't know how to proceed other character notices jedi probing and can take measures to protect themselves
4-8 notices that the aura is wrong but can't see through it
9-13 Jedi notices aura is false but the cannot determine the actual alignment of the other character
14-16 the Jedi and the other character both notice that the aura has been breached
17+ Jedi notices Aura is wrong without alerting sith.
plus I might add a difficulty modifier depending on the situation
E.G +5 for a lightly crowded area for example a cantina
+10 in a crowded marketplace

and a relationship modifier, for example if darth vader tried it on you'd know it was wrong so he'd get a penalty but any old run of the mill dark jedi would get a possible bonus if the jedi had never met him/her before

I was also thinking of making it a 'free' action almost in non combat rounds, being that it would be kept up for free in walking or talking in a crowded place, but if the character projecting the false aura feels any darkside emotion and doesn't make the approriate roll (difficult at least control roll) the aura falls.

what do you all think about these?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I also thought that too bring it down (by another character) would require them to make an opposed roll, Sith rolls their control to see if they can maintain it against the Jedi's sense to see if they can see through it, with a chart to determine results (on teh jedis end)

At this point we're using a mechanic that is very similar to Sense Force Potential. What would be the effective difference? Is it that you want them to know that you're a Jedi but just not evil, ergo you disguise the kind of sense they get from you?
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats effectively it, I'm not trying to disguise force sensitivity or ability, just that the character using it isn't who he claims to be
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be an offshoot of the masquerade power in Jedi Academy Training Manual. Or perhaps another power derived from it. Illusion to hide appearance, then to hide what's inside. Could also be a form of Affect mind. Changing the person's conclusion to their sense. Just a few ideas.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that Zannah had a very tough time maintaining the power while she was using it, and that it was difficult to evoke in the first place. Perhaps increased difficulty and Willpower rolls to maintain the power as active should be in the mechanic?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven: I considered those options as well and may just end up using them, however I was attempting to work this up as an indicator that it has become a specialized ability of this character. He will have great use for it in the coming adventures haha.

Ankhanu: Duly noted. By active do you mean as being effective against more than a cursory reach out through the force? or something else?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually may be remembering the situation incorrectly Razz As I recall she had to exert some effort to maintain the light side mask, and it presented difficulty... but perhaps it was just Darovit that was the issue. But I thought that maintaining a convincing aura in front of, say, Qiina was fairly difficult for her.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just rememberd i have a force power similar to this one. instead of a light side aura though, it woudl be no aura. so at least its a good starting point Smile

Life Mask

Control/Sense/Alter
Control Difficulty: Difficult if Jedi is relaxed and at peace, Very Difficult if Jedi is exerting himself, Heroic if Jedi is under duress.
Sense Difficulty: Easy if Jedi is relaxed and at peace, Moderate if Jedi is exerting himself, Very Difficult if Jedi is under duress.
Alter Difficulty: Very Difficult if at Peace, Heroic if the Jedi is exerting himself, or Heroic+ if under duress
This Power may be kept up.

Required Powers: Hibernation Trance, Emptiness, Sense Force

Effect:
The Jedi using this power attempts to mask his presence in the force. To bring this power up, a Jedi must roll a successful Sense and Control roll. When the Jedi uses the force while this power is up he must make a successful alter roll to keep the power up.

A Jedi who has successfully brought the power up, does not make any ripples in the force. Another Jedi passively searching the area for life forms will not register the user of this power as alive, but he would exists in the force like a droid would. Another Jedi actively sensing the user of this power must make a sense roll opposed to the users control roll to know that he is in fact alive, and not an inanimate object. A Jedi using this power is similar to a Jedi in an emptiness trance, but he may take actions he wishes.

A Jedi may use other Force Powers while using Life Mask, but must make another Control roll to maintain the effects of Hide Force when doing so. Any Force user who would normally sense the Jedi's use of the Force may make a Sense roll versus the Jedi's Control roll to detect the Jedi's use of the Force.

Examples:
A Jedi using Life Detection to find a character with Life Mask active will not detect the character. A Jedi using Life Sense or Sense Force (if the user is using the force actively) can make an opposed sense check against the user's Control check.

If the user of this power uses Lightsaber Combat, they must make a Very Difficult control roll to keep the power up; if the user fails this roll Life Mask immediately drops and other force users will sense their presence in the force. If the check succeeds, other Force users may make their opposed Sense roll as described above.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Vong,

That will be a very good starting point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: