The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion - Galaxy at War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion - Galaxy at War Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking. Chesh?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that jmanski is making a lot of sense. Especially since the advanced skill to throw is part of the original WEG stat block. But it makes sense that melee combat would be perfectly fine to thwack someone with it.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a deal then.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of this rewrite:

Repulsorlift Inhibitor
Type: Repulsorlift disabling mine
Scale: Speeder
Cost: 500
Availability: 2, X
Radius: 3 meters
Damage: 3D (ion damage)
Game Notes: The device is buried a couple of meters underground and generates an energy well that disables repulsorlift engines within a 3-meter radius. Any repulsorcraft travelling through the energy well suffers 3D ion damage. The pilot must make a Difficult repulsorlift operation roll to keep the engines running at half speed, instead of shutting down completely and slamming into the ground.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 99)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the thing does Ion damage, then it should just be a matter of damage vs soak. Not a piloting roll. What I do think, is that any damage done by the ion is automatically applied toward move penalties. If you are going to make a piloting requirement to keep the engines going, it should be harder than difficult. Maybe a very difficult roll, and the pilot doesn't get the benefit of the craft's maneuverability.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we're looking for an opposed roll on the part of the pilot, it should be a sensors or perception roll. I'm not seeing how a good piloting maneuver is going to help you if you've had an ion mine go off underneath your vehicle.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I could see it happening is if it's something like when Anikan fought to get his pod's engine's back up and running. Fiddling with the starter, or whatnot. Technically it could be a snap repulsorlift repair roll to get the lifts up and running again before the craft crashes.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. Sort of like a good driver knows how to keep the engine from stalling. Something like "if you take your foot halfway off the clutch and pump the gas hard two times while changing to 2nd gear, you prevent the engine from dying on you." I considered making it a repulsorlift repair roll, but it just seemed like something an expert driver would know how to do.

Although maybe it should say that the piloting roll is only relevant if the Ion damage hasn't already melted your engine.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
What do you think of this rewrite:

Repulsorlift Inhibitor
Type: Repulsorlift disabling mine
Scale: Speeder
Cost: 500
Availability: 2, X
Radius: 3 meters
Damage: 3D (ion damage)
Game Notes: The device is buried a couple of meters underground and generates an energy well that disables repulsorlift engines within a 3-meter radius. Any repulsorcraft travelling through the energy well suffers 3D ion damage. The pilot must make a Difficult repulsorlift operation roll to keep the engines running at half speed, instead of shutting down completely and slamming into the ground.
Source: Galaxy at War (page 99)

I would remove the 'couple of meters underground' part. Mines in general lies in the topsoil, and even if this does not need physical pressure theres no point in digging a couple of meters (ie at least two meters).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, depending on the size of these things, they probably don't need to go in more than a 1/3 m

Gry, the piloting roll makes sense, I'd just up the difficulty to very difficult, and make sure that it states no maneuverability is granted.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I like the idea of working the gas and the clutch to prevent something from stalling, I'm not sure that such a maneuver would be a sufficient countermeasure for an ion detonation. We wouldn't think twice about disallowing a piloting check to prevent ion damage if one of our characters was shot in a starfighter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dead set against the idea, as I like the general flow of how that would work in game (in terms of giving the target a fighting chance), but I'm just trying to play with the logic of it all.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fluff text says it is burried 1-2 meters underground, so I;m trying to retain that bit of info.

I wasn't thinking about the Piloting check actually protecting the craft against the Ion damage. I think the ion damage should be rolled, if the vehicle is disabled, that's it. If the vehicle manages to resist the ion damage and is not disabled by it, the energy well still affects the engine enough that it threatens to stall. The pilot has a chance of controlling it so it just falls to half speed, otherwise the engine sputters out. It wouldn't be ionized, and if the vehicle doesn't crash too badly, it could be started again straight afterwards. Clearly the text needs to be rewritten, but what do you think of it working this way?
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooOOOOOooo. I get it now. Yeah. Great idea. Just a bit of rewording would help.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Chesh, where did you get the cost "9,000 (3,000 surgery cost)" for the Total Cybernetic Replacement? I can't see that anywhere, and it seems awfully cheap to me.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it isn't found in the book. I think what I had done was refer to various cybornetic surgeries in a WEG source, and then constructed a cost from there. However, it does seem off seeing how I had to pay 3,000 after insurance for a doctor to stick a fiberoptic tube down my throat. (BTW, the drug they put you on for that are super weird. Avoid at all costs.)

The bog construct is 88,000 (in Galaxy at War, anyway), and though the total replacement is not brain surgury, it would be horribly complicated. Sp. what do you think, 100,000? 75,000? It should be pretty expensive, and I'm thinking that the surgery being 10%-20% of the cost wouldn't be unreasonable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: