The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Infinities Fan Sourcebooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Infinities Fan Sourcebooks Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I convert the RotISB and REISB to Saga Edition and D6?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Infinities Fan Sourcebooks Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone here on these forums ever saw the fan sourcebooks Rise of the Empire Infinties Sourcebook (RotISB) or its immediate sequel of the Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook (REISB), but I've had a few people ask me if I would convert both of these books to Saga Edition.

I've been thinking about it over the last few weeks, and I am seriously thinking of doing it.

If I do finally decide to do it, I will most likely convert to both SE and D6.
BreederofPuppets
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see it in d6, but don't particularly care for Saga.

That may just be me.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BreederofPuppets wrote:
I would like to see it in d6, but don't particularly care for Saga.

That may just be me.

Oh, you're not alone in that opinion at the Pit.

Saga is a four-letter word around here.
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that nasty S word. We are 4 years removed from the last film and I still do not have the courage to show the therapist on the little doll where the bad films touched me
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:
Yes that nasty S word. We are 4 years removed from the last film and I still do not have the courage to show the therapist on the little doll where the bad films touched me

LOL! And I never LOL at anything on the boards.

Anyhoo.. yeah... Saga is particularly disliked around here. Sometimes I wonder if the system itself gets too much punishment. Some of the material created for the system is pretty bad, and the view of Star Wars is messed up, and the marketing methods are bothersome...

... ya know... now that I sit down and start to say it all out loud to someone else, I guess I can see why "the S word" is how they refer to the new system.
McKinley
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone explain the system for me?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinley wrote:
can someone explain the system for me?

Which one? d6? or that other "S" system?
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory it's a pretty simple system. Your character's rolls are based on a single d20, rather than several D6s. Choose a whatever skill you want to use, roll the d20, add up any modifiers you have, and then compare to the result. The modifiers are where things might get tricky.

Suppose I want to shoot at a person. He doesn't actually roll a dodge, but he has a standard defensive (dodge) number. Let's say that it's 15. Now I'll roll my d20... it's a 10. Now, I've got a +3 modifier because of my high dexterity attribute, and a +2 modifier because of my base attack bonus. But I also have a feat (which is kind of like a special ability that your character can pick up during character creation or advancement) that gives me another +2 to making attacks at a certain range... so my shot is now a 17. But... my opponent is under cover, which gives him a +5 to his reflex defense, so my shot misses.

Now, let's say I approach him with a melee weapon. I can swing a sword at the guy (who is no longer under cover since I'm right beside him), now I get to roll my d20, and it comes up as an 8, but I get a +5 due to my scale size bonus (since I'm playing a larger character than him), and I have a melee attack bonus of +6, giving me a hefty 19 compared to his defense of 15. So I hit him. Now I get to roll damage. My weapon has a 1d8 damage, so I roll that. I get a 4, but I need to add my strength bonus because it's a melee weapon, giving me a total of 7 damage. He then subtracts 7 points from his hit points. HOWEVER, if I rolled a natural 20, then I get a critical hit, which means I score a hit automatically, regardless of his defense number, and I get to double my damage. So, I score a 14. I compare that to a number called his damage threshold. If I score more than his damage threshold, then that means that the wound was serious enough to hinder his performance. His damage threshold is 12, so since my damage was greater than his threashold, he moves one step down the condition track, which applies a -1 penalty to all of his rolls.

Believe it or not, combat is actually faster and simpler than D6, though it's harder to keep track of all of your bonuses and penalties. Furthermore, the Saga edition (like other d20 systems) have a great deal more customization and fine tuning than D6. It's a lot easier to figure out how to give smaller bonuses and penalties for things like two-weapon fighting, having a better tactical position, flanking, and rules of that sort. On the other hand, D6 is faster in most ways other than combat, simpler (with the exception of adding up all the dice), and more cinematic.

In the end, they're both good systems. (Even though I know I'll be flayed alive for saying it in this crowd.) I still prefer WEG's treatment of Star Wars as well as a preference for the D6 system... but I think they're both good systems.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Saga is a class/level base system compared to D6 which is a "class-less" aka skill-based system.

My opinion here: Star Wars Saga = D&D in space, Star Wars d6 = well, Star Wars!

D&D, Saga and the d20 system do a good job of tactical combat. The problem is: to achieve the streamlining of tactical combat, you have to confine characters to classes, levels, stat progression and the inherent power escalation contained therein. ("I'm level 15, a +1 sword just won't do anymore, it's got to be at least +3!")

d6 is more free-form and open-ended. It's character rather than stat/equipment focused. Which is what Star Wars as cinema is all about: character-driven stories. The system is tougher (but not impossible) for GMs to balance combat, but the game itself is less focused on combat (by design). d6 is more concerned with advancing the story than determining how many attacks of opportunity the Stormtrooper squad gets to shoot at you while you swing from a cable with a princess clinging to you.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the most telling sign of how poor Saga is is to look at the stats of an NPC. In D6 you can actually get the character of an NPC just by looking at his stats. The multitude of skills and widely different skill levels tell you a lot about him. In Saga it's all very homogenized, low-level characters shoot badly, high-level characters shoot well. They have only a couple of skills and feats that utterly fail to set apart a criminal thug from a high-society bodyguard.

Hold on, when did this thread become a d20 vs D6 one? Terribly sorry.
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHH Make it stop, Please make it stop!

I wouldn't be surprised if I am the only one out here that thinks like this but I don't touch the D20 system because it killed the D6 system as far as new material and such goes. I don't want to get into the whole specific as who is to blame (WEG, Lucas Arts, WoTC) but that is the simple reason I don't like it. There was plenty enough fans I think for both to continue from a sales standpoint. Because of my stance on this subject I have never even opened a D20 SW book. Am I judging the sytem or material unfairly? Absolutely, but I feel betrayed by the fact that one day I go to my local gaming store and all the WEG products "were shipped back to publisher because D20 and the saga was the new flavor of the week." It was like when Transformers killed of Optimus Prime in the 1986 movie just so they could introduce more and newer looking robots (I am quoting wikipedia or IMDB on this one). D6 SW had been around and popular for like 11 or 12 years at least at that point, it should have gotten more respect than what it did.

Wow I am spent now, time for a wet nap and an ice cold one.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote make your conversions as there is always room for more stats.

Don't care if you stat it for Saga as don't use it, as I really don't know who's butt WOTC is pulling stats for SAGA out of but that person needs to see a doctor, most of their stats are quite bad and badly thought out.

Not going to join the VS debates as it's all each persons preference as to who likes what system.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:
AHHHH Make it stop, Please make it stop!

I wouldn't be surprised if I am the only one out here that thinks like this but I don't touch the D20 system because it killed the D6 system as far as new material and such goes. I don't want to get into the whole specific as who is to blame (WEG, Lucas Arts, WoTC) but that is the simple reason I don't like it.

Uh... I think that Scott Palter kind of already took responsibility for that years ago. D20 didn't take it away from WEG, WEG shot it self in the foot (no pun intended) when they bought a bad investment. (They bought a shoe company in hopes of diversifying themselves.) The shoe company went under, and sucked the life away from WEG to the point that it had trouble paying its writers. They couldn't afford the Star Wars license, they went down the shoot. WotC bought the license when they had the chance. You can't blame LFL for going with a more stable company.

Quote:

Not going to join the VS debates as it's all each persons preference as to who likes what system.

Heh... it's funny because if you go over to the d20 boards, you'll find just as many people saying why D6 is horrible and WEG put out worse stuff than WotC ever did. People are going to be loyal to the system that they like.

I see good points both ways... I just like D6 a lot more.

Smile
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamlumina93 wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to having too much on my plate (2 jobs, trying to finish the LotFSB, married life, and gaming on Sunday evenings), I have decided that I won't be doing any conversions of the RotEISB and REISB at this time.

Thank you for responding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: