The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Contest: Make a Prvateer/Explorer ship!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Contest: Make a Prvateer/Explorer ship! Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Contest: Make a Prvateer/Explorer ship! Reply with quote

In Preperation for my eventual Campain I intend to I am looking for a Decent Privateer/Exploration Vessal (Small, Corvette, Capital sized) Seeing as I'm a newbie GM and am still learning, I was was gonna hold a little bit of a contest for indidual to design a Decent ship for me since I have little time to do it my self and want to see what other GM have come up with for their campains..... Only prize is my kudos and thanks.... Very Happy

Here are the guide Lines:

1. Must Have six months of consumables AT LEAST.

2. Needs to have fighter/space tranport carrying capacity (internal, external or both).

3. Should have a low crew requirment maximum 30-40 crew needed to opeate it at a decent level.

4. Should beable to hold at least 150 passengers.

5. Must be a ship design that appears in SW Canon (But can be hideously modified, just not Munchkin, And I don't care if it is a coupe thousand years old designwise, as long as it's been "modernized": A relitive term)

6. must be able to land and take off from a planet's suface.

7. must have AT LEAST 1,000 tons of cargo capacity.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of hard to tell exactly what you're looking for, but here's an idea:

Take an Action IV, convert a cargo bay for passengers, add docking for fighters.

Checking over your list:
1. Six months Consumables: Negative (comes with 3 months; Solution: store more consumables in a cargo hold)
2. Fighter carrying capacity: Negative (Solution: add external fighter mounts)
3. Crew maximum 30-40: Check (10)
4. 150 Passengers: Negative (Solution: Convert a cargo hold)
5. Appears in Canon: Check
6. Land and take off: Check
7. Cargo capacity over 1,000 tons: Check (70,000 before modifications, easily over 1,000 after)
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Action IV is a good choice.
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not have the level of originality you want, but I humbly suggest the FarStar from the DarkStryder campaign. It would need a little bit of modification. To borrow from jmanski,

1. Six months Consumables: Also negative (comes with 3 months; Solution: store more consumables in a cargo hold)
2. Fighter carrying capacity: Affirmative
3. Crew maximum: Use the bottom end for Corellian Corvettes per 2nd Edition - 30
4. 150 Passengers: Affirmative. Original source material doesn't give passengers for FarStar (at least not on the main ship drawing) but CC's can be configured for up to 600.
5. Appears in Canon: Check
6. Land and take off: Check
7. Cargo capacity over 1,000 tons: Check (3000 in book form - maybe less when you add consumables, but probably still in the range you need)

Bonus: You may still be able to find and buy a very nice deck plan. I've never actually read through the campaign and played it out, so there may also be a lot of other background material available in the campaign. DarkStryder was one of the later supplements, and I've seen it on ebay/amazon from time to time. I did a campaign that (for a while) used the Nebulon B, and my players liked using/modifying the map sections from the Privateers supplement.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent a considerable amount of time (my wife would say too much) browsing the Wookiepedia looking for a ship that fits the bill, and I gotta say this is a pretty tall order. I have a few suggestions, though.

Firstly, I would suggest an Action VI http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_Karrde I think they can land in the atmosphere and you should be able to convert some of the cargo space to passenger accomodations.

Next, I might suggest a Star Galleon http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Galleon-class_frigate because they are easy to find. While it does need a large crew, you can always have droids do the job. I don't know about landing in the atmosphere and I think you will probably have to convert cargo space to passenger space. I also think you'll have to convert some cargo space into hangar space or dock you shuttles on the outside. Still, this ship seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

Finally, and this is the choice I prefer, there's The Venator-class Star Destroyer I can imagine finding one of these ships in a salvage yard with it's weapons stripped and the hull mostly gutted. That gives you plently of ways to modify the ship to meet your standards. They have plenty of room, large hangars and I know they can land in the atmosphere. I assume the high crew count would be for combat operations (some of the crew would probably be fighter pilots and their support crew), but without weapons and with the latest technology (and a bunch of droids) I don't see why you'd need so many people to keep her up and running.

[img]
If you wanted to go with something a little smaller I would suggest http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Acclamator_I-class_assault_ship apparently these ships were all retired shortly after the Clone Wars so this is probably a ship you could find gutted in a salvage yard and modify to meet your needs.

Good luck!

EDIT the giant pic was irritating me. There's lots of cool Venator pics if you follow the link!
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.

Last edited by Jedi AlanRocks on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:41 am; edited 4 times in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also thought about the farstar, but decided on the action IV for crew reasons.

There's a lot of good choices there.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gry or chesire did stats for a clones war refit of the Corellian Engineering Corporation's Consular-Class Cruiser bu am not sure where to find it have the info on the Farstar (have the entire Darkstryder Set) but wanted to try something different if it's available and that any players I have wont imediately recognize..
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
I agree the Action IV is a good choice.

Yes the action is good for modding, though it will take very extensive work to make it fast sheilded and defensible, still it's an option.

Also I'm open to any ships from Chesh's and Gry's conversion books or Staship Stat books.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you could use the Mere Cruiser.

Era: Old Republic
Type: Armed cruiser
Scale: Capital
Length: 195 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Mere cruiser
Crew: 35
Crew Skill: Astrogation 3D, capital ship gunnery 3D+2,
capital ship piloting 3D, capital ship shields 3D, capital
ship repair 3D, sensors 3D+1
Passengers: 300
Cargo Capacity: 5,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Cost: 1.24 million (new), 620,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 4
Move: 250; 800 kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Passive: 40/1D
Scan: 70/2D
Search: 100/3D
Focus: 4/3D+2
Weapons:
6 Turbolaser Cannons
Fire Arc: 2 front, 2 left, 2 right
Crew: 2
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
Damage: 4D
Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Front/right/left
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 2D+2
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km

Other question that I have on topic, how much cargo capacity does it take up to mount a fighter? Just curious because I was working on a smallish capital ship that would need to be fit for a couple of fighters. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how much cargo capacity does it take up to mount a fighter?

I have always looked at it from the aspect of how much space do you have vs how big is the fighter. For example a Z95 is 11.8 meters long and probably about 12 M wide, too.That's the bare minimum amount of space you're going to need, you'll probably want to add a little more so you can walk around the fighter. So if I had to make an off hand ruling, I would say a Z95 needs 15 square meters to park safely in a hanger and be accessible for maintenance. A fleet of 5 Headhunters would need (about) 80 square meters to park and be accessible for maintenance. I might even go so far as to say that for every meter of parking space there needs to be another meter of space for a pilots ready room, specialized maintenance facilities, spare parts storage, etc ect... So now 5 Z95's runs about 160 (80 for parking the birds, 80 for the spare parts) square meters. Plus there should be an empty parking spot where the maintenance crew can run all their tests and troubleshoot any problems with the bird. So 175 square meters, about.

Something like that.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Z-95_Headhunter
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about how much cargo capacity and whatnot would be taken up per fighter. The fighters I'm planning on using are Stinger class. Only 3.5 meters long. Space shouldn't be much of an issue, since the length of your average capital ship is well over 100 meters, even for a small one. Was thinking about editing one of these:

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation
Consular-class Space Cruiser
Affiliation: Old Republic / General
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 91-92)
Type: Diplomatic transport
Length: 115 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Corellian space cruiser
Crew: 8
Crew Skill: Typically 6D in applicable skills
Passengers: 16
Cargo Capacity: 1,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 1.25 million
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Maneuverability: 0D+2
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 4D+2
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Scan: 80/2D
Focus: 5/4D

Planned on upping the length a bit. Up the crew by a few. Keep number of passengers the same. Up the cargo capacity, give it some guns, and convert some of the cargo to a fighter hanger.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Also, you could use the Mere Cruiser.

Type: Armed cruiser
Length: 195 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Mere cruiser
Crew: 35
Crew Skill: Astrogation 3D, capital ship gunnery 3D+2,
capital ship piloting 3D, capital ship shields 3D, capital
ship repair 3D, sensors 3D+1
Passengers: 300
Cargo Capacity: 5,000 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Cost: 1.24 million (new), 620,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x3
Hyperdrive Backup: x12
Space: 4
Move: 250; 800 kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 1D+2
Sensors:
Scan: 70/2D
Focus: 4/3D+2
Weapons:
6 Turbolaser Cannons
Fire Arc: 2 front, 2 left, 2 right
Crew: 2
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
Tractor Beam Projector
Fire Arc: Front/right/left
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 2D+2
Space Range: 1-5/15/30
Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km

Other question that I have on topic, how much cargo capacity does it take up to mount a fighter? Just curious because I was working on a smallish capital ship that would need to be fit for a couple of fighters. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This I like a bit more then the Action IV, anyone have a good picture of it?

Raven Redstar wrote:
I was thinking about how much cargo capacity and whatnot would be taken up per fighter. The fighters I'm planning on using are Stinger class. Only 3.5 meters long. Space shouldn't be much of an issue, since the length of your average capital ship is well over 100 meters, even for a small one. Was thinking about editing one of these:

Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation
Consular-class Space Cruiser
Affiliation: Old Republic / General
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 91-92)
Type: Diplomatic transport
Length: 115 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Corellian space cruiser
Crew: 8
Crew Skill: Typically 6D in applicable skills
Passengers: 16
Cargo Capacity: 1,000 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Cost: 1.25 million
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Maneuverability: 0D+2
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 950 kmh
Hull: 4D+2
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Scan: 80/2D
Focus: 5/4D

Planned on upping the length a bit. Up the crew by a few. Keep number of passengers the same. Up the cargo capacity, give it some guns, and convert some of the cargo to a fighter hanger.

There is A militarized version of this with weapons, more passenger space, and MUCH more Cargo space in one of Gry and chesh's conversion or Stat PDF book, but for the life of me I can't find it.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I was thinking about how much cargo capacity and whatnot would be taken up per fighter. The fighters I'm planning on using are Stinger class. Only 3.5 meters long.

I looked over at the wiki and the Stinger fighter is 28 M, unless you're talking about another Stinger class. I had never heard of the Stinger before and after reading the description I have decided that I will fly around in nothing else:

Quote:
the Stinger was confronted by an Imperial-class Star Destroyer and Guri was ordered to shut down the ship's engines. Guri, however, decided to flee and, when the Star Destroyer pursued, launched a spray of proton torpedoes from her rear launchers. The unsuspecting Imperials were surprised by the sudden show of firepower from the civilian vessel and the Star Destroyer was destroyed.[8]

Holy crap! http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/57/Stinger3.jpg
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Mere Cruiser in Gry's starship stats R&E censored.

I personally think it looks pretty cool.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi AlanRocks wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
I was thinking about how much cargo capacity and whatnot would be taken up per fighter. The fighters I'm planning on using are Stinger class. Only 3.5 meters long.

I looked over at the wiki and the Stinger fighter is 28 M, unless you're talking about another Stinger class. I had never heard of the Stinger before and after reading the description I have decided that I will fly around in nothing else:

Quote:
the Stinger was confronted by an Imperial-class Star Destroyer and Guri was ordered to shut down the ship's engines. Guri, however, decided to flee and, when the Star Destroyer pursued, launched a spray of proton torpedoes from her rear launchers. The unsuspecting Imperials were surprised by the sudden show of firepower from the civilian vessel and the Star Destroyer was destroyed.[8]

Holy crap! http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/5/57/Stinger3.jpg

I'm talking about the S-100 stinger fighters. Guri's is a space transport.
Both of Gry's stat books have em at 3.5m. I think wookiepedia has them at just over 11m...
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/S-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: