The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Completely Revised Star Wars Roleplaying (Site Updated)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Completely Revised Star Wars Roleplaying (Site Updated) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

So what do you think of our new rules?
I like it
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Looks nice but not the sort of thing I would ever use
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
An abomination against nature :)
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
I think bits of it might be worth stealing
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Something else...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Completely Revised Star Wars Roleplaying (Site Updated) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let you know that I've just uploaded the major update of my website that I've been promising for ages now. There's still a few missing chapters I'm afraid but I couldn't wait any longer so I've gone ahead so you can see what I've managed to compile so far.

For anyone that doesn't know: My group and I have been working on a complete revision of the d6 rules for about two years now. We've pulled the whole thing apart and put it back together several times. We've tried so many house rules and different versions I've completely lost count. Among the group, we even refer to this latest set of rules at 4th edition (where we started work on an unofficial 3rd edition). I don't for the life of me know when 3rd edition turned into 4th Very Happy

So... I'm sure this won't be for everyone. If you have checked out my web site before please take a look at the new material as its a big shift. We did a lot of play-testing and many of the changes we originally made turned out to be too complicated while some changes we thought wouldn't work (there was much contention about the whole idea of techniques) have proven there worth repeatedly.

A quick introduction. You will find

All new Force Rules! (very important that one)
* A Force Attribute
* More Force Skills
* Hundreds of Force Powers (including many from new books and films)
* New Force Point Rules
A comprehensive selection of martial arts and all seven lightsaber forms
When they are all up: hundreds of aliens (though you will have to suffice A through to K so far.
And so much more... 'I love saying that'

The Web Site: The Devourer's Palace
Main Contents for new rules: Contents Page

Alternatively: You can download them using these links. I would suggest right clicking and then downloading as some of the files are quite big.

Introduction
Chapter 1: Character Creation
Chapter 3: Basic Rules and Techniques
Chapter 4: Rules for Games Masters
Chapter 5: The Force
Chapter 8: Droids - a particular favorite: we wanted to make playing a Droid as fun and interesting as possible
Chapter 9: Allies and Adversaries - ok so its only four allies and adversaries but we've got the Emperor, Luke, Obi-Wan and Gui-Gon (how can you go wrong)
Chapter 10: Creatures - added 12/04/2009

The first three parts of the aliens chapter are available from the contents page. The forum doesn't seem to like their http addresses. Chapter 2: Equipment and 7: Vehicles and Starships are not yet ready. As I'm sure you can imagine these two chapters involve a lot of editing. Our random and slightly shaky notes are just not enough.

Obviously with a project of this size mistakes are inevitable. If anyone stumbles on anything obvious please let me know. You have no idea just how useful it will be.

Also: while a lot of this material has been play-tested there are still a few things off in the corners of the project which haven't been played often enough for me to be completely satisfied that we haven't missed something. The biggest problem is unspoken assumptions. There are things we take for granted around the gaming table no one thought to write down for me to include in the rules. I've tried to be clear but I'm sure there are places where I've missed important rules I've never even thought to include because we use them without thinking.

I know it won't be to everyone's cup of tea but all of us would love to know what you guys think. Smile

In fact, I thought I'd try and include a poll just for fun. If it doesn't work its because I've never done one before 8)

Update on 21/02/2010:

cunning_kindred wrote:
A small update to the website. Three of the chapters have been updated.

I've added the vehicles chapter at last. Its very small but it has several starships and should make it clear how we do starships and vehicles in general. Its really a massive job so I'll be adding to this as time progresses and updating the file from time to time. At the rate this is getting looked at at the moment it'll probably be years before its half-way concise Very Happy

I've also added a more up-to-date version of chapter three. I've been trying to re-write this chapter as I get feedback in order to make it more concise, to tidy up the rules etc. Hopefully it's a little clearer. I've not had a chance to look at chapter 4 yet but its possible they will be a little contradictory until I do so for now just assume anything in chapter 3 supercedes chapter 4.

I've also added an update to the Force chapter. Just a couple of things that have been added over the last few months of play, including a new Force using tradition which we recently created. There are a few powers as well.

As usual, any feedback, advice and (most importantly) criticism greatly welcome.

Chapter Three: http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/New%20Star%20Wars%20Rules/chapter%203%20basic%20rules%20and%20techniques.pdf

Chapter Five: http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/New%20Star%20Wars%20Rules/chapter%205%20the%20force.pdf

Chapter Six: http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/New%20Star%20Wars%20Rules/chapter%206%20vehicles%20and%20spaceship.pdf

Last edited by cunning_kindred on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alien rules are now all up. Although I don't promise I won't edit them later Smile

I still can't get our lovely forum to recognize the http: addresses for these files though so your have to go to the contents page first before you can look at them. Also, some of the alien descriptions refer to new special techniques that still need to be incorporated into the techniques chapter. This will be forthcoming.

Edit: And now the equipment chapter too Very Happy : http://derriphan.110mb.com/Pdf/New%20Star%20Wars%20Rules/chapter%202%20equipment.pdf
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated a few of the files: Force, Basic Rules and Techniques and Equipment. Mostly just cosmetic stuff (fixing mistakes mostly) but I've added a few more techniques and clarified some rules in the others where I kind of messed them up. I've also managed to get the basic rules and techniques chapter down to only a sixth of its original size (which makes accessing and downloading it a lot easier).

http://derriphan.110mb.com/Star%20Wars/Contents%20Page.html
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded this, but there is a lot to read over, so I don't want to make too many comments until I've given it a more thorough going over.

From what I've seen there are some nice bits, and some not so nice bits.

Some stuff I like so far:
-Lightsaber is a advanced skill under Melee weapons.
-Lightsaber styles and maneuvers.

Some stuff I don't like:
-Skill groups. I think they should do something. Like maybe some sort of crossover to other skills in the group. Otherwise they don't seem to do anything.
-The "Knight " and "Master" powers. Since d6 tracks force ability with the Force Skills, rather than the d20 "feat" method, I think these powers don't really fit well with d6. I think it would be better to just tie the bonus to the character's force skills. For example, rather than +2D/+3D/+4D, you could tie the bonus to 1/3rd the character's Sense ability or appropriate Sense technique.
-Empowered weapon stuff. Basically, I think JEdi should be able to fight with thier appropriate style regardless of whose lightsaber they use.

Oh, Qui-Gon seems to be lacking any Melee Weapons skill.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I downloaded this, but there is a lot to read over, so I don't want to make too many comments until I've given it a more thorough going over.

Thank you for looking it over. I look forward to hearing more of your opinions. Understanding that you have not read through it all, I'll address what you have said so far but I'm not so much defending my decisions as explaining why I did what I did. Its not going to work for everyone and I understand that. You should of heard some of our discussions before we finally came to decisions and we still don't agree on everything.

Quote:
Some stuff I like so far:
-Lightsaber is a advanced skill under Melee weapons.
-Lightsaber styles and maneuvers.

I'm not sure you've misunderstood or if I've misunderstood what you've written. Lightsaber is not an advanced skill but is managed using melee weapons. Many of the techniques that use lightsabers are advanced though - you need special training before you can use them. I'm pleased you liked the styles - they took a lot of work but we were proud of them in the end but I'm hoping to give them some more playtesting in a new forthcoming game. If you did misunderstand about lightsaber I would very much appreciate it if you could try to tell me why you came to that conclusion - obviously I've not been clear somewhere and I would love to try and fix this Smile

Quote:
Some stuff I don't like:
-Skill groups. I think they should do something. Like maybe some sort of crossover to other skills in the group. Otherwise they don't seem to do anything.

Skill groups have no explicit rules but they do have rules that concern them. The game would full apart without them. They are referenced throughout the techniques section. Many techniques aren't attached to one skill but one group and can be used with any skill in that group. Scholar skills, build/repair skills, what you can and cannot evade (BTW there is a typo on the parry: specific ranged combat skill technique - it has requirements that I never included and I will be correcting his on the next update), and indeed, so many other places I couldn't even count.

I suppose they are the framework on which the technique system builds. So it might not look like they do anything because I don't include many rules in their actual descriptions but they have rules - lots of them - and they do things.

Quote:
-The "Knight " and "Master" powers. Since d6 tracks force ability with the Force Skills, rather than the d20 "feat" method, I think these powers don't really fit well with d6. I think it would be better to just tie the bonus to the character's force skills. For example, rather than +2D/+3D/+4D, you could tie the bonus to 1/3rd the character's Sense ability or appropriate Sense technique.

Ok, I'll start by saying this I completely understand. Its been done for purely game balance issues. We started with a system where you added your skill code (well, 1/2), then we went to a table (bigger bonus the more you rolled) and then we arrived at a flat +2D bonus (which seemed balanced). The die code thing never seems balanced and the bonus gets too big. The table is very un-star wars and too slow and the flat +2D gives no opportunity for growth - so the knight and master powers appeared - prerequisites to access and higher difficulty. In other words, not every Jedi master gets better with a lightsaber - he has the potential to do so but he must train to become so as well as improve his basic sense skills and concentration.

Like I said, not defending it. Just the reason we did it.

Quote:
-Empowered weapon stuff. Basically, I think JEdi should be able to fight with thier appropriate style regardless of whose lightsaber they use.

80% of the style stuff is available to a Jedi regardless of his weapon, including lightsaber combat. If a Jedi does build his own weapon though it is obvious from the canon that there are advantage to doing so. Where that line is - what techniques should be available only when using a lightsaber you build - is difficult to judge. I'm personally not sure we have it right yet but we're working on it. Practically everything other than increasing the damage of the blade directly and Vaapad is available when using any lightsaber but if you have another suggestion where the line should be I would love to hear it.

(God, that sounds sarcastic to my ear - its not supposed to. Its a sincere question.)
Very Happy

When you have read more I would love to ask some questions about what is clear on first reading and what's confusing. You seem to think you can have a rating in a technique. You are only allowed to specialize in a technique and this gives a flat 1D bonus to the use of one skill involved in that technique. Is this the impression I gave or have I made them sound like old style specializations?

Quote:

You can tell this is the part I'm doing purely on my own. I cannot believe I missed that. I'm going to give him 3D (edit: make that 4D) I think. That should be quite adequate to make him a formidable combatant for when I convert Darth Maul. I'm quite enjoying converting NPCs to our rules - it gives me a chance to test them out some more with new characters and its not something we've really done a whole lot of before - at least not in that Era. I'm actually thinking its an era I might want to do our next game in.

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope your have an opportunity to give me more and I'm serious about the lightsaber question. We are very unsure where to put this line. We know we want a self-constructed lightsaber to have extra advantages. We're just not sure exactly where that line should be.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See - you've gone and influenced us already. For the next game we play I've just been convinced to reduce the requirements for augment lightsaber, vaapad and vengeful blade: removing the requirement for a specifically constructed lightsaber. these changes won't have been playtested yet (but I suspect they will be ok since the abilities are no more powerful - and its not like many Jedi are without their own lightsaber much anyway) but I will be including them the next time I do an update so you'll be able to see them. Thanks again for the feedback. 8)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
See - you've gone and influenced us already. For the next game we play I've just been convinced to reduce the requirements for augment lightsaber, vaapad and vengeful blade: removing the requirement for a specifically constructed lightsaber. these changes won't have been playtested yet (but I suspect they will be ok since the abilities are no more powerful - and its not like many Jedi are without their own lightsaber much anyway) but I will be including them the next time I do an update so you'll be able to see them. Thanks again for the feedback. 8)

Playing Emperor7s advocate here, I think it would be nice for a self-crafted/attumed saber to rpovide a bonus-maybe ever grant a bonus die or reduce the difficulty by 1 level, or even reduce the chance on injuring onself with the weapon.

I just didn't like that it prevented certain character from using certain styles and techniques. What might be an idea would be to allow character to empower a lightsaber for "a scene" by spending a Force Point. THe advanted of an attuned weapon could be that it is always considered "empowered" for the Jedi who created it.

Just brainstorming.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:

Thank you for looking it over. I look forward to hearing more of your opinions.

Still reading, but I do like the Edges. I wish there were more of them. Oh, and I think Talented is getting shortchanged in comparison to the other Edges. I could see a few ideas for adding more edges.

Quote:

I'm not sure you've misunderstood or if I've misunderstood what you've written. Lightsaber is not an advanced skill but is managed using melee weapons. Many of the techniques that use lightsabers are advanced though - you need special training before you can use them....

....If you did misunderstand about lightsaber I would very much appreciate it if you could try to tell me why you came to that conclusion - obviously I've not been clear somewhere and I would love to try and fix this Smile.

Oops, my misunderstanding. Anyway, what I think that there is a certain logic to lightsaber being treated like a melee weapon, and covered under the same skill (at least initially). Don't blame yourself for my error. What happened was that I had read Rerun's posting about lightsaber being an Advanced skill under melee weapons, and kind of mixed that up with your rules.

I have a question about specializations and techniques. Based on some of the character writeups, It looks like people can take a specialization multiple times. Is that correct?

Quote:

I'm pleased you liked the styles - they took a lot of work but we were proud of them in the end but I'm hoping to give them some more playacting in a new forthcoming game.

I've been working on Styles too, and it's not easy. I think you might need to add a few more special techniques to flesh out some styles in comparison to others.

I'd suggest sorting the lightsaber techniques by Form/Style. You could put the "common" techniques in front, and then list each style with it's own techniques. It would probably give a better overview of what each Form can do.

Quote:

Skill groups have no explicit rules but they do have rules that concern them. The game would full apart without them. They are referenced throughout the techniques section. Many techniques aren't attached to one skill but one group and can be used with any skill in that group. Scholar skills, build/repair skills, what you can and cannot evade (BTW there is a typo on the parry: specific ranged combat skill technique - it has requirements that I never included and I will be correcting his on the next update), and indeed, so many other places I couldn't even count.

But most of the places I 've seen it, could be eliminated. Scholar skills are already under KNO (in fact, justabout any Knowledge could be turned into a scholar skill), build/repair is already handedled with the TEC attribute and so forth. From what I7ve read (and comprehened) so far, the groups aren't really needed.

Now, I think it would be neat to actually use the skill groups with explicit rules and made the groups worth something. For example skills in the same group could default to each other in some way (like using 1/3rd the related skill as the default instead of the attribute, or maybe getting a 1pt discount for raising a skill if a character has a related skill at a higher rating). This could reflect how how there is a lot of common ground and crossover between skills in the same group. For example, judging from the films, I'd suspect someone who was a crack shot with a slugthrower rfile could probably pick up a blaster rifle and use it better, and advanced with it quicker than someone who had never fired a gun at all. Likewise an expert starship mechanic should probably be able to figure out a broken airspeeder a bit easier than someone without the skill. THere is bound to be some overlap.

Just an idea though.

Quote:
-Ok, I'll start by saying this I completely understand. Its been done for purely game balance issues. We started with a system where you added your skill code (well, 1/2), then we went to a table (bigger bonus the more you rolled) and then we arrived at a flat +2D bonus (which seemed balanced). The die code thing never seems balanced and the bonus gets too big. The table is very un-star wars and too slow and the flat +2D gives no opportunity for growth - so the knight and master powers appeared - prerequisites to access and higher difficulty. In other words, not every Jedi master gets better with a lightsaber - he has the potential to do so but he must train to become so as well as improve his basic sense skills and concentration.

Like I said, not defending it. Just the reason we did it.

Okay. I still suggest going with a fraction of skill. If 1/2 is too big try 1/3rd or even 1/4th. From what I recall of the stats given in Chapter 9, a 1/3rd Sense (+1 pip per die) would have just about match everyone stats except for the Emperor.

The thing with the flat bonus is that I can't really see what anyone would bother to learn Knight or Master techniques for things that they could do more easily just raising a skill. In D20 players do it because they can't just raise their abilities In D6, character can raise their skills directly.

Quote:
-
(God, that sounds sarcastic to my ear - its not supposed to. Its a sincere question.) Very Happy

Can't say. I don't get audio with post messages. Smile

I try to be careful reading "tone" into a post. It is often hard to tell just how someone interned for a message to be interpreted, so I try to give them "the benefit of doubt". Something I can't even figure out what I meant by something I wrote! Misunderstandings are just too easy on the net.

Quote:

When you have read more I would love to ask some questions about what is clear on first reading and what's confusing. You seem to think you can have a rating in a technique. You are only allowed to specialize in a technique and this gives a flat 1D bonus to the use of one skill involved in that technique. Is this the impression I gave or have I made them sound like old style specializations?

Start asking. It can probably help to point out stuff I missed on the first run. There are a few things with the organization that I think kind of worked against picking stuff up. Overall it seemed that things were group alphabetically. That can be good when someone wants to look up a rule, skill or technique in play, but makes it a bit more difficult to grasp initially. Organizing things by what they do might be a bit easier.

BTW, with the colors used for techniques and such is there a meaning to the actual colors chosen for certain techniques? It might be a way to make thing easier to sort through. For instance, if all Dark Side Force Techniques were in red text boxes or some such.

Quote:

You can tell this is the part I'm doing purely on my own. I cannot believe I missed that. I'm going to give him 3D (edit: make that 4D) I think. That should be quite adequate to make him a formidable combatant for when I convert Darth Maul. I'm quite enjoying converting NPCs to our rules - it gives me a chance to test them out some more with new characters and its not something we've really done a whole lot of before - at least not in that Era. I'm actually thinking its an era I might want to do our next game in. [/quote]

Quote:

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope your have an opportunity to give me more and I'm serious about the lightsaber question. We are very unsure where to put this line. We know we want a self-constructed lightsaber to have extra advantages. We're just not sure exactly where that line should be.

Glad to chime in. I've been in the situation you're in, and know how much any feedback is appreciated. Even total negative feedback is better than nothing.

I understand your point of the lightsaber thing, and agree that is should be worth something. The rules reminded me of another RPG, where characters do get to pick a favored weapon, and get certain game benefit when using that weapon.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your additional feedback. As you noted, we consider it highly invaluable. I'll address your points in turn (because otherwise I'll get confused Smile )

Quote:
Still reading, but I do like the Edges. I wish there were more of them. Oh, and I think Talented is getting shortchanged in comparison to the other Edges. I could see a few ideas for adding more edges.

I always felt its was destined that got the short straw. Certainly, its the way that no one ever selects: but we don't seem to think its worth improving as that would probably make it too good. I think this might because we have left-over feelings about how hard Force Points are. As for talented, it gets selected more than any other. Its a very potent one, often worth more character points than all the others. Remember that's a whole extra dice if you select it three times that can be put in an attribute that might already be 3D (For a human) or maybe even 5D (for a wookiee)

Quote:
I have a question about specializations and techniques. Based on some of the character writeups, It looks like people can take a specialization multiple times. Is that correct?

Each specialization is purchased only once for each skill associated for the technique. If the technique involves three skills than you can select the specialization three times: once for each skill. Each purchase adds +1D to the rolls involving one skill associated with that technique. In the case of static specializations it sometimes isn't that important which skill each specialization is associated with so I just list: specialization 2 to indicate it was purchased twice.

Quote:
I've been working on Styles too, and it's not easy. I think you might need to add a few more special techniques to flesh out some styles in comparison to others.

I'd suggest sorting the lightsaber techniques by Form/Style. You could put the "common" techniques in front, and then list each style with it's own techniques. It would probably give a better overview of what each Form can do.

Its very hard because - in game terms - the difference between the styles is so subtle. The only reason I didn't write them out in style order was because I was trying to make it clear for reference purposes. I'm working on some kind of index at the moment so I may end up doing a re-format for this section. I also have a few more techniques that we've tried out but which haven't been playtested as extensively - I may add these as they get a little more play time or I have a chance to at least give them a little more of a think.

Quote:
But most of the places I 've seen it, could be eliminated. Scholar skills are already under KNO (in fact, justabout any Knowledge could be turned into a scholar skill), build/repair is already handedled with the TEC attribute and so forth. From what I7ve read (and comprehened) so far, the groups aren't really needed.

Now, I think it would be neat to actually use the skill groups with explicit rules and made the groups worth something. For example skills in the same group could default to each other in some way (like using 1/3rd the related skill as the default instead of the attribute, or maybe getting a 1pt discount for raising a skill if a character has a related skill at a higher rating). This could reflect how how there is a lot of common ground and crossover between skills in the same group. For example, judging from the films, I'd suspect someone who was a crack shot with a slugthrower rfile could probably pick up a blaster rifle and use it better, and advanced with it quicker than someone who had never fired a gun at all. Likewise an expert starship mechanic should probably be able to figure out a broken airspeeder a bit easier than someone without the skill. THere is bound to be some overlap.

I'm not sure I understand your concern here. Both the examples you give would fall under the same skill and are therefore covered. I too think that a broad scope of understanding is necessary and that is why for example: Firearms covers blasters, slugthrowers etc and why electronic would cover all basic repairs for both an airspeeder and a spaceship.

Though the skill groups cover certain types of rules, knowledge in one really is not going to effect knowledge in other skills within the same group: knowledge of the Jedi tells you nothing about how to repair a maglock and knowing how to pilot a spaceship tells you nothing about riding a horse. There are places where an argument could be made but this is covered to a degree in the way that techniques sometimes allow for more than one skill.

I only introduced skill groups because I don't know how to describe the rules without them. You are right that many skills could be considered to be members of groups that I haven't officially assigned them. I have even considered say that all skills belong to all groups - especially reaction and scholar - but even if I did this I would still need to define the groups in order to explain certain rules.

Quote:
Okay. I still suggest going with a fraction of skill. If 1/2 is too big try 1/3rd or even 1/4th. From what I recall of the stats given in Chapter 9, a 1/3rd Sense (+1 pip per die) would have just about match everyone stats except for the Emperor.

The thing with the flat bonus is that I can't really see what anyone would bother to learn Knight or Master techniques for things that they could do more easily just raising a skill. In D20 players do it because they can't just raise their abilities In D6, character can raise their skills directly.

Very Happy You can increase the base skill and should do so. That's what I want. A flat 2D sounds like nothing but its so worth it. You are going to have concentration, enhance senses and farseeing anyway. Those skills are all useful and awesome and just having access to them grants you immediate use of all the non-advanced techniques (danger sense, new sense, postcognition, project senses). Indeed, if you have the Force attribute you have these powers without the need to purchase the skills at all. Then when you buy specialization in lightsaber strike suddenly lightsaber combat is available and with a roll you gain a 2D bonus and it costs nothing all to do so.

If you improve those skills - and you have every reason to do so - eventually you get to a point where lightsaber combat is easy to put up and it becomes worth your investment in those skills to offer a higher award but unless you've committed to the power you can't be allowed to suddenly increase it - hence you need to specialize in order to gain greater power.

In d6 people will buy these powers because its cheaper than increasing their base skill. At 3D skill you need 12 character points to buy a new pip in our system. 15 character points will buy you both specializations in lightsaber combat and give you access to knight: lightsaber combat and an additional +1D to your skill when you get it up in exchange for a higher difficulty. So worth it. Indeed, it then costs only another 15 character points to get master: lightsaber combat and another +1D. 30 character points won't buy even a single 1D in the base skill but through the force it just netted you 2D. Generally, a character gains access the powers at about one power per 1D he has in the base skill.

Hope I don't come over as entrenched on this issue. I'm not. It might seem that way because its the most playtested element of these rules. I know how powerful this ability is. I've seen it in game. Sometimes we actually think its too powerful. Remember that in these rules we do not make you pay for lightsaber combat directly and it does not impose dice penalties when its up. Those bonus dice are completely free just as long as you have the time and skill to get the power to operate at all.

Quote:
Can't say. I don't get audio with post messages. Smile

I try to be careful reading "tone" into a post. It is often hard to tell just how someone interned for a message to be interpreted, so I try to give them "the benefit of doubt". Something I can't even figure out what I meant by something I wrote! Misunderstandings are just too easy on the net.

I'm naturally inclined to paranoia on these issues. Not very keen on text messaging or e-mail for the same reason Embarassed

Quote:
Start asking. It can probably help to point out stuff I missed on the first run. There are a few things with the organization that I think kind of worked against picking stuff up. Overall it seemed that things were group alphabetically. That can be good when someone wants to look up a rule, skill or technique in play, but makes it a bit more difficult to grasp initially. Organizing things by what they do might be a bit easier.

BTW, with the colors used for techniques and such is there a meaning to the actual colors chosen for certain techniques? It might be a way to make thing easier to sort through. For instance, if all Dark Side Force Techniques were in red text boxes or some such.

I'll definitely have some questions once I've thought this through a bit more (work has to come first unfortunately Sad) I'm definitely willing to try new layouts and stuff. I've tried to group under basic areas of interest but I'm sure that I haven't got it right yet.

BTW, all dark side powers are red. Green is a lightside power. Orange-yellow is a normal technique. Purple is a static technique. Techniques with odd-mixed colour are powers that must be strongly aligned good or evil but which might be either depending on the user.

Quote:
I just didn't like that it prevented certain character from using certain styles and techniques. What might be an idea would be to allow character to empower a lightsaber for "a scene" by spending a Force Point. THe advanted of an attuned weapon could be that it is always considered "empowered" for the Jedi who created it.

Oh, I didn't take all the powers off the attuned lightsaber. It still gets a bonus to hit or damage (player's choice) and access to several powers will be easier with a home-made lightsaber or even completely restricted. We're still bashing this one out but it should be in the next update. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for the feedback. I hope to hear more. And I'll get back to your with some specific questions as soon as I've got a moment.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Completely Revised Star Wars Roleplaying (Site Updated) Reply with quote

Quote:

The Web Site: The Devourer's Palace
Main Contents for new rules: Contents Page

Alternatively: You can download them using these links. I would suggest right clicking and then downloading as some of the files are quite big.

Introduction
Chapter 1: Character Creation
Chapter 3: Basic Rules and Techniques
Chapter 4: Rules for Games Masters
Chapter 5: The Force
Chapter 8: Droids - a particular favorite: we wanted to make playing a Droid as fun and interesting as possible
Chapter 9: Allies and Adversaries - ok so its only four allies and adversaries but we've got the Emperor, Luke, Obi-Wan and Gui-Gon (how can you go wrong)

Another quick update. Most of the changes are an introduction of some powers that I've just finished editing to the Force chapter and some minor modifications based on what's been said on this thread.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More feedback (sorry I'm the only one so far),

1) OLD STUFF

EDGES
Personally I think Destiny is a very strong Edge. And the one that gives extra skill dice and specilizations is much bett than the +1 pip. Even if someone takes Talneted 3 tiimes, they aren't going to keep up with a character who takes the Skilled edge once. Maybe a Favored Attribute Edge, with a bonus to improvement and even a higher max for that stat?

SPECIALIZATIONS
Ah, I think I got confused by looking over the samkple characters. I think a couple of the write ups have the "lightsaber strike" specialty more than once under melee weapons.

KNIGHT & MASTER TALENTS
I just don't think the powers are worth it. USing the sample characters as an example, for what it takes for Luke to get his extra die from Knight's defense, I think he would be better off just raising melee weapons. Especially since he has to use both Lightsaber Combat and the Knight Version of Lightsaber Combat to get the +3D.

I still think it would be better to either tie the bonus to the skill, or just say that the character gets the extra +1D when they reach a certain skill level.

NEW STUFF

REVISED DIFFICULTY TABLE
Okay. I love this. I missed the differences the first time through. This change is minor, but gives up back the 5 point brackets from the original rulebook, with the scalable difficulty range. I'm probably going to use this in my campaign starting next week.

I suggest you post this table on the forum for others to look at by itself.

FULL REACTIONS
I Like this. I was going to do something similar after seeing the "all out" attack in D6 SPACE.

COMBAT WOUNDS AND CONDTIONS
Well, win a few loose a few. I don't like this much. Here is why (and let me know if I got something wrong):

1) How are soak pools going to work for big creatures that are not necessarily armored? This means that if a character hits a Rancor, T-Rex or other big nasty, and manages to inflcit a wound on it, it will drop like a stone (Since monsters usually don't have Remain Conscious).

2) The "Princess Leia" shot. Ala ROTJ. With the automatic unconsciousness for wounded characters she would become unconscious when she got wounded.

3) With 5 Wounded levels, the ability to kill someone with a single attack is virtually nonexistent. A character needs to roll around a 32 damage to kill an average grunt.

I suggest either letting character take a few wounds (say STR dice) before going unconscious, or taking a rule from d6 Space and allowing them to use Willpower to keep from passing out when wounded (Remain Conscious could either be an alternative to the willpower roll, or provide a bonus dice for it).

As for the Unconsciousness roll. Personally I think it would be better to give this a set difficulty rather than 1D per wound box. For instance 3xWounds or 4xWounds.

Also, I think linking the number of Wound boxes to the character's STR dice might be better and make it easier to work up tough character or monsters without needing new rules.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the feedback. Its really invaluable. Especially this one. I've found your observations fascinating.

Quote:
EDGES
Personally I think Destiny is a very strong Edge. And the one that gives extra skill dice and specilizations is much bett than the +1 pip. Even if someone takes Talneted 3 tiimes, they aren't going to keep up with a character who takes the Skilled edge once. Maybe a Favored Attribute Edge, with a bonus to improvement and even a higher max for that stat?

I'll give this some thought and talk it over with people. Personally I feel its fine because people often select this talent (meaning they obviously feel its worth it) and because the maths would seem to indicate that it is. In general this will be worth 30 character points - which is about the same as the educated one (which is worth 33 character points) - and it can be worth more then that under some circumstances.

Quote:
SPECIALIZATIONS
Ah, I think I got confused by looking over the samkple characters. I think a couple of the write ups have the "lightsaber strike" specialty more than once under melee weapons.

I think the issue here might be combo specializations. It is possible to specialize in a combo technique where the technique requires you to select another onto which to tag its effects: so quickdraw: lightsaber strike is a different specialization to charge: lightsaber strike.

Quote:
KNIGHT & MASTER TALENTS
I just don't think the powers are worth it. USing the sample characters as an example, for what it takes for Luke to get his extra die from Knight's defense, I think he would be better off just raising melee weapons. Especially since he has to use both Lightsaber Combat and the Knight Version of Lightsaber Combat to get the +3D.

I still think it would be better to either tie the bonus to the skill, or just say that the character gets the extra +1D when they reach a certain skill level.

I am so going to have to re-write these powers. This is exactly what I meant when I said that an outsider's eye is useful. We all know how these powers work and so obviously haven't noticed that my write up does not at all make it clear. When he activates knight: lightsaber combat Luke gets a +3D bonus to his lightsaber rolls. He does not need to activate lightsaber combat at all. Indeed, once he's good enough to activate knight: lightsaber combat reliably, he'll probably never use the power again.

Quote:
REVISED DIFFICULTY TABLE
Okay. I love this. I missed the differences the first time through. This change is minor, but gives up back the 5 point brackets from the original rulebook, with the scalable difficulty range. I'm probably going to use this in my campaign starting next week.

You know... I'd forgotten we did this.

Ok, this next bit is really useful:

Quote:

1) How are soak pools going to work for big creatures that are not necessarily armored? This means that if a character hits a Rancor, T-Rex or other big nasty, and manages to inflicit a wound on it, it will drop like a stone (Since monsters usually don't have Remain Conscious).

Large creatures are generally awarded extra wounded boxes on their condition chart. Often: if a creature has only bonus wounded boxes marked with damage no unconsciousness roll it made. You can consult the wookiee for this (since I haven't got any monsters up yet). Anything that's especially potent will also have natural armor. Also creature in our game have all the attributes (just not that high), will have a willpower score and often have a bonus to their remain conscious rolls. I think I need to get some monsters up so you can have a look - I try at the weekend to get to this but the notes on monsters are a complete mess Sad

Quote:

2) The "Princess Leia" shot. Ala ROTJ. With the automatic unconsciousness for wounded characters she would become unconscious when she got wounded.

Only if she failed the roll. She's likely suffered a single wounded result or two (2D unconsciousnes roll) vs. her 2D or 3D (with possible character points) - she's not going under just yet. All I can say is that on average you have to be hit a couple of times to go down unless the wound is very severe.

Quote:
3) With 5 Wounded levels, the ability to kill someone with a single attack is virtually nonexistent. A character needs to roll around a 32 damage to kill an average grunt.

Ah... I knew there was something I forgot to include in those rules. We don't give grunts five wounded levels. There lucky if they have two or three. Five is for heroes and more is for monsters.

Quote:

I suggest either letting character take a few wounds (say STR dice) before going unconscious, or taking a rule from d6 Space and allowing them to use Willpower to keep from passing out when wounded (Remain Conscious could either be an alternative to the willpower roll, or provide a bonus dice for it).

Oh, now I understand the confusion. Remain Conscious is not a force power. You will find it in the general techniques. Anyone can use it. It already works exactly like this.

Quote:
As for the Unconsciousness roll. Personally I think it would be better to give this a set difficulty rather than 1D per wound box. For instance 3xWounds or 4xWounds.

Also another little "quick" rule that I have indeed forgotten to put in the book. Its so helpful you pointing this out. I do it so often I've just never thought to write it down. When the person making the attack is a complete nobody I generally just set the difficulty for all unconsciousness rolls at 2xwounded levels. I roll when its someone important.

Quote:
Also, I think linking the number of Wound boxes to the character's STR dice might be better and make it easier to work up tough character or monsters without needing new rules.

This is a really good idea. It might make some characters too fragile so I think I might give a character an extra wounded box for every 2D of strength over 1D (so 1 at 3D, 2 at 5D, 3 at 7D). I'm going to suggest it to the others and see if we can come up with something that works. Then we can give it a test run and see what happens.

Its seems I have some clarifying and editing to do in the combat chapter especially. I think I'll try to come back to it with a fresh eye and see if I can improve the level of clarity a little. Cheers again for your input. I knew we were forgetting to mention things because we were too close. I didn't realize just how badly. Smile
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the feedback. Its really invaluable. Especially this one. I've found your observations fascinating.

Quote:
EDGES

I'll give this some thought and talk it over with people. Personally I feel its fine because people often select this talent (meaning they obviously feel its worth it) and because the maths would seem to indicate that it is. In general this will be worth 30 character points - which is about the same as the educated one (which is worth 33 character points) - and it can be worth more then that under some circumstances.

Quote:
SPECIALIZATIONS

I think the issue here might be combo specializations. It is possible to specialize in a combo technique where the technique requires you to select another onto which to tag its effects: so quickdraw: lightsaber strike is a different specialization to charge: lightsaber strike.

Quote:
KNIGHT & MASTER TALENTS

I am so going to have to re-write these powers. This is exactly what I meant when I said that an outsider's eye is useful. We all know how these powers work and so obviously haven't noticed that my write up does not at all make it clear. When he activates knight: lightsaber combat Luke gets a +3D bonus to his lightsaber rolls. He does not need to activate lightsaber combat at all. Indeed, once he's good enough to activate knight: lightsaber combat reliably, he'll probably never use the power again.

Quote:
REVISED DIFFICULTY TABLE

You know... I'd forgotten we did this.

Ok, this next bit is really useful:

Quote:

1) How are soak pools going to work for big creatures that are not necessarily armored? This means that if a character hits a Rancor, T-Rex or other big nasty, and manages to inflicit a wound on it, it will drop like a stone (Since monsters usually don't have Remain Conscious).

Large creatures are generally awarded extra wounded boxes on their condition chart. Often: if a creature has only bonus wounded boxes marked with damage no unconsciousness roll it made. You can consult the wookiee for this (since I haven't got any monsters up yet). Anything that's especially potent will also have natural armor. Also creature in our game have all the attributes (just not that high), will have a willpower score and often have a bonus to their remain conscious rolls. I think I need to get some monsters up so you can have a look - I try at the weekend to get to this but the notes on monsters are a complete mess Sad

Quote:

Only if she failed the roll. She's likely suffered a single wounded result or two (2D unconsciousnes roll) vs. her 2D or 3D (with possible character points) - she's not going under just yet. All I can say is that on average you have to be hit a couple of times to go down unless the wound is very severe.

Quote:

Ah... I knew there was something I forgot to include in those rules. We don't give grunts five wounded levels. There lucky if they have two or three. Five is for heroes and more is for monsters.

Quote:

Oh, now I understand the confusion. Remain Conscious is not a force power. You will find it in the general techniques. Anyone can use it. It already works exactly like this.

Quote:

Also another little "quick" rule that I have indeed forgotten to put in the book. Its so helpful you pointing this out. I do it so often I've just never thought to write it down. When the person making the attack is a complete nobody I generally just set the difficulty for all unconsciousness rolls at 2xwounded levels. I roll when its someone important.

Quote:

This is a really good idea. It might make some characters too fragile so I think I might give a character an extra wounded box for every 2D of strength over 1D (so 1 at 3D, 2 at 5D, 3 at 7D). I'm going to suggest it to the others and see if we can come up with something that works. Then we can give it a test run and see what happens.

Its seems I have some clarifying and editing to do in the combat chapter especially. I think I'll try to come back to it with a fresh eye and see if I can improve the level of clarity a little. Cheers again for your input. I knew we were forgetting to mention things because we were too close. I didn't realize just how badly. Smile
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cunning_kindred"]Thanks again for the feedback. Its really invaluable. Especially this one. I've found your observations fascinating.

Quote:

But consider what would happen if the guy with +1 pip ran into someone who took the extra 2D in skills and his extra 2 specializations. I suspect Talented is popular with Jedi-it helps them to keep up with the characters who don't have to spend point in the Force attribute.

Quote:
SPECIALIZATIONS

Ah. Yeah, that it. Perhaps combos should be written in a format like "Combo* Quickdraw/Lightsaber Strike" to spell it out for outsiders.

BTW, just a technical point, and nothing to do with your rules, but a Quickdraw/Strike really isn't a cobination of two actions but a single motion/maneuver. At least it is with a katana. It might be worth letting character use thier Lightsaber Quickdraw specialty to make an attack (or parry) when their lightsaber isn't ready, but at a higher difficulty. But that's just me being an Iai purist.

Quote:

Now I see. In that case, I suggest that it might bet better not to increase the difficulty of Knight/Master powers and just have them replace the base power.

Quote:

I can see a lot of headaches here. Basically you will need to work up different wound box formulas for each type of creature. Oh joy. I got et another pain in the neck suggestion about this farther down.

Quote:

Okay. That's better.

Quote:

I bet you are familiar with FATE. I'm seeing some similarities. Still, 5 boxes does make it nearly impossible fora PC significant NPC to die from a single hit.

Quote:

I'd say standardize it. From a player's POV, it hard enough fighting Darth Vader without it being harder to remain conscious when he "nicks you" for a wound. He already is more likely to hit more often and do greater damage anyway, so the 1D per wound roll is double penalizing the players. I think a straight DIFF= 3x WOUNDS is better.

Quote:

What might help, and make creatures easier would be to set the base wound boxes = to STR dice. You could add an EDGE that gives PCs and significant NPCs a couple of extra boxes, or even grant them a skill that does so (+1 box per 2D in, "Endurance" or "Cheat Death").

For creatures, you can either give them that edge, dice in that skill and/or have a wound box multiply based on thier Size. Say each doubling on size over "normal" is worth a +1 multiplier for wound boxes. So something 4m tall might have x2 Wound Boxes, something 8m tall x4 wound boxes and so on. That way you won't have to work out just how many extra boxes to give each creature on a case by case basis.

Quote:

Don't kick yourself too much. Much of the blame should fall on my shoulders. Being familiar with d6, I didn't pay as close attention to the rules as I should have, and made some bad assumptions.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But consider what would happen if the guy with +1 pip ran into someone who took the extra 2D in skills and his extra 2 specializations. I suspect Talented is popular with Jedi-it helps them to keep up with the characters who don't have to spend point in the Force attribute.

But in the long run, a pip in an attribute is more than worth it. It costs so much to put up an attribute. And any two characters with the experienced edge could easily be completely unbalanced in comparison to each other. A guy with 2D in computers isn't going to be much muster against a character with 2D in brawling when fighting hand to hand and visa versa.

Quote:
Ah. Yeah, that it. Perhaps combos should be written in a format like "Combo* Quickdraw/Lightsaber Strike" to spell it out for outsiders.

BTW, just a technical point, and nothing to do with your rules, but a Quickdraw/Strike really isn't a cobination of two actions but a single motion/maneuver. At least it is with a katana. It might be worth letting character use thier Lightsaber Quickdraw specialty to make an attack (or parry) when their lightsaber isn't ready, but at a higher difficulty. But that's just me being an Iai purist.

combos aren't combination movements - each is a single technique made up of several others. And quickdraw: lightsaber strike is essentially what you are describing already. It allows you to draw and attack in a single action.

Quote:
Now I see. In that case, I suggest that it might bet better not to increase the difficulty of Knight/Master powers and just have them replace the base power.

But then we wouldn't be rewarding a character for putting up the base concentration, enhance sense and farseeing skills. Its the combination of the commitment the specializations represent and that these characters are better with the Force that makes the additional 1D balanced and fair.

Think of it this way: you are comfortable with certain more powerful abilities requiring prerequisite abilities in the normal rules. Obviously, a character shouldn't be able to just purchase Create Force Storm. He needs to purchase other powers first. In addition, just because Create Force Storm has a list of prerequisites a mile long doesn't mean it should be any easier to use. Its a difficult power that requires commitment (the prerequisites) and skill (the difficulties) to use. Knightsaber Combat (as we sometimes call it) requires commitment and skill to use because its better then lightsaber combat.

Quote:
I bet you are familiar with FATE. I'm seeing some similarities. Still, 5 boxes does make it nearly impossible fora PC significant NPC to die from a single hit.

Very familiar with FATE. Love the game. As for the 5 box thing. It is very intentional. Dying instantly is not a very likely scenario in the real world, much less so in a cinematic setting like star wars. Of course, once you take unconcious rolls and complications into consideration, being shot and then bleeding out on the floor in a few minutes (a much more reasonable outcome) is all too likely.

Quote:
I'd say standardize it. From a player's POV, it hard enough fighting Darth Vader without it being harder to remain conscious when he "nicks you" for a wound. He already is more likely to hit more often and do greater damage anyway, so the 1D per wound roll is double penalizing the players. I think a straight DIFF= 3x WOUNDS is better.

On consideration: we are not sure why we didn't do this before. We are making it very easy for a single wound, +3 per additional wound.

Quote:
What might help, and make creatures easier would be to set the base wound boxes = to STR dice. You could add an EDGE that gives PCs and significant NPCs a couple of extra boxes, or even grant them a skill that does so (+1 box per 2D in, "Endurance" or "Cheat Death").

For creatures, you can either give them that edge, dice in that skill and/or have a wound box multiply based on thier Size. Say each doubling on size over "normal" is worth a +1 multiplier for wound boxes. So something 4m tall might have x2 Wound Boxes, something 8m tall x4 wound boxes and so on. That way you won't have to work out just how many extra boxes to give each creature on a case by case basis.

We thought about this. It was pointed out that we had tried something similar and we think its probably too complicated. Still, I've also had it pointed out that I did not put up the latest working of our rules and I have updated the injury rules (and transferred them to chapter III) and it incorporates a little of what you are talking about already. You might want to have a look but essentially:

Strength and Knowledge attributes determine when injuries become critical and this in turn determines how likely complications are.

As for the monsters thing: its not really difficult. Most have a five box set with a scale adjustment (a lot of monsters are speeder scale in our rules) and some have a bonus box or two which is just as simple as adding a few to the condition chart. You can generally work it out on the fly. I don't think its ever taken more than a few minutes to convert a creature to our rules (see below for more details).

Quote:
Don't kick yourself too much. Much of the blame should fall on my shoulders. Being familiar with d6, I didn't pay as close attention to the rules as I should have, and made some bad assumptions.

A problem I have when writing the rules too. I so often forgot to write something down because we use it so often it just never occurs to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: