The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enhance attribute? how do you go about it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Enhance attribute? how do you go about it? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Enhance attribute? how do you go about it? Reply with quote

One thing i have been unable to make sense of with this force power, is do you select what you are trying to go for and roll (eg i want +2d so i need a diff roll), OR do you just roll and see what you get?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I had always wondered as well. What if I want +1d for 3 rounds but roll really high?
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always let people roll and then they could choose either the result they rolled or something from lower down on the table if they wanted.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
I always let people roll and then they could choose either the result they rolled or something from lower down on the table if they wanted.

i do the same thing. When doing a skill roll like that the roll you achieve is the MAXIMUM you can do. if you choose to lower it, I allow that (same for any skill roll - blaster included)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have the player roll twice?

Once for the bonus and once for the duration. (This wouldn't incur any multi-action penalties.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do they still select a bonus to try for and make the roll, or just roll and see what they get?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe t states that you roll and then can take any bonus result up to what you roll. So you can take less for more.

When I House Rule it, I don't apply a MAP to the enhanced attribute from the Power. Otherwise a character would be usually better off just "preparing".
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I believe t states that you roll and then can take any bonus result up to what you roll. So you can take less for more.

When I House Rule it, I don't apply a MAP to the enhanced attribute from the Power. Otherwise a character would be usually better off just "preparing".

Yeah, that never made much sense, either... I'm using an action and taking a -1D MAP to gain a +1D benefit? Ok, maybe it's for 3 rounds, but that's still pretty weak.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

Yeah, that never made much sense, either... I'm using an action and taking a -1D MAP to gain a +1D benefit? Ok, maybe it's for 3 rounds, but that's still pretty weak.

"Ah, now you shall learn the true nature of the Force. My young apprentice." Laughing

But that is one reason why I want to tweak the Force Rules a little. Basically apply the same logic that control pain uses to any other Force use. For instance, having Lightsaber Combat not apply -2 MAPs to lightsaber skill, but to everything else, magnify senses doesn't apply a MAP to Perception and so on.

Otherwise some f the results can be painfully comical, especially since Jedi tend to have lower stats to begin with. I discovered that the hard way.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically apply the same logic that control pain uses to any other Force use. For instance, having Lightsaber Combat not apply -2 MAPs to lightsaber skill

Are you kidding, considering that jedi get to add sense to their light saber roles there rolls would be even more obscene with out MAPs.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that is one reason why I want to tweak the Force Rules a little. Basically apply the same logic that control pain uses to any other Force use. For instance, having Lightsaber Combat not apply -2 MAPs to lightsaber skill, but to everything else, magnify senses doesn't apply a MAP to Perception and so on.

We did something very similar but we also slashed all the bonuses across the board. As it stands lightsaber combat is completely unbalanced. Do this without changing it in other ways too and you basically give a decent Jedi +4D to attack and parry for no downside at all.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
As it stands lightsaber combat is completely unbalanced.

Tweaking a power here and there is fine. It's unqualified statements like the above that makes me stop people and raise the "prove it" flag.

Show me how it's "unbalanced." I would like to see some facts... real examples.

I showed some real numbers in the other thread and thought I demonstrated that LS Combat isn't quite as "unbalanced" as everyone thinks it is.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I showed some real numbers in the other thread and thought I demonstrated that LS Combat isn't quite as "unbalanced" as everyone thinks it is.

I wanted to say something like: "your numbers clearly proved my point" but that's not the case obviously. It all comes down to what you feel is fair. Control and Sense, even without access to lightsaber combat, would still be some of the best skills in the game. They are massively versatile and provide some quite potent abilities for shaping the game.

So for example: imagine a character with 4D control and 5D sense with a selection of healing and meditative powers intended to be a Jedi consular type (to use a stereotype from the computer games). He works along side a character whose primary duty in the game is as a body guard and to fight threats the diplomat cannot deal with. He has 7D in blasters, 6D in dodge, a smattering of 5D among other attack skills. They are generally about equivalent and both players feel useful and worthwhile.

Then one day the Consular character learns lightsaber combat. I can't remember if he needs 5 or 10 character points to learn it from the nice Jedi character he just met but its one or the other. 10 character points would buy the soldier-type a +1 pip in his primary skill.

The Jedi just got a +3D equivalent to his skill for the same price. With a 4D+1 lightsaber skill, he's now just as good as the soldier-type and he has done absolutely nothing for this. He's had to pay nothing. There is no downside. He just suddenly and completely unreasonably matches the other character in his principle strength (an ability which cost him dearly in character points to acquire). Not only that but the Jedi now has an ability that quite adequately replicates the dodge skill that the soldier purchased as well.

I'm sure this example will not convince you. It is why I find lightsaber combat unreasonable. Being able to grant a +2D or +3D bonus should cost you something, though. And, of course, now the situation is only going to get worse with every pip the Jedi buys. Oh, and the Jedi also has more damage than the soldier.

Seriously, mate. We are really going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm sitting here thinking to myself "how can someone who has played the game as much as you obviously have not get this - the evidence is clear to see". You are obviously sitting there thinking much the same (or some equivalent). Constantly asking me to prove what I think you've already proven with your own spreadsheet really isn't going to help. Smile
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
So for example: imagine a character with 4D control and 5D sense with a selection of healing and meditative powers intended to be a Jedi consular type (to use a stereotype from the computer games). He works along side a character whose primary duty in the game is as a body guard and to fight threats the diplomat cannot deal with. He has 7D in blasters, 6D in dodge, a smattering of 5D among other attack skills. They are generally about equivalent and both players feel useful and worthwhile.

Then one day the Consular character learns lightsaber combat. I can't remember if he needs 5 or 10 character points to learn it from the nice Jedi character he just met but its one or the other. 10 character points would buy the soldier-type a +1 pip in his primary skill.

The Jedi just got a +3D equivalent to his skill for the same price. With a 4D+1 lightsaber skill, he's now just as good as the soldier-type and he has done absolutely nothing for this. He's had to pay nothing. There is no downside. He just suddenly and completely unreasonably matches the other character in his principle strength (an ability which cost him dearly in character points to acquire). Not only that but the Jedi now has an ability that quite adequately replicates the dodge skill that the soldier purchased as well.

I'm sure this example will not convince you. It is why I find lightsaber combat unreasonable. Being able to grant a +2D or +3D bonus should cost you something, though. And, of course, now the situation is only going to get worse with every pip the Jedi buys. Oh, and the Jedi also has more damage than the soldier.

Seriously, mate. We are really going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm sitting here thinking to myself "how can someone who has played the game as much as you obviously have not get this - the evidence is clear to see". You are obviously sitting there thinking much the same (or some equivalent). Constantly asking me to prove what I think you've already proven with your own spreadsheet really isn't going to help. Smile

The bodyguard has 7D blasters? That's only 2-3D above his starting skill. The Jedi has 5D Sense. 4D above his base and has spent double the CPs to improve it. Oh, and he has a Jedi Code which doesn't allow him to kill indiscriminantly.

The force power is free assuming he has a Control and a Sense "slot" available.

And I do agree that Jedi are powerful (They are supposed to be.) But there are ways GMs can (and should) mitigate that power. "With great power, comes great responsibility."

"Fixing" and "balancing" the rules does not fix irresponsibility.

All the game rules in the world can't fix stupid or irresponsible GMs.

*shrug* Agreeing to disagree is fine, but that won't stop me from trying to convince you that you don't need to waste your time with a complete system overhaul.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Someone actually said "let's agree to disagree" in an eloquent manner!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: