The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your Star Wars Universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your Star Wars Universe? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now...all that having been said, there is still one over-arching truth in all this:

Jar Jar Binks = the devil.

Just sayin.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Now...all that having been said, there is still one over-arching truth in all this:

Jar Jar Binks = the devil.

Just sayin.

Seconded. All in favor?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, not really.
As Whill said, he perfectly plays the role of the Fool from beginning to end. When he helps Palpetin, he's just being manipulated. "Only someone like Senator Amidala would be so bold to propose that". Jar Jar thinks he can prove himself by doing that, not realising (because he is dumb) that he was used and what would happen.

So he's not really the devil, he is more the tool that is being used by the devil (which would be Palpetin more or less).

Non the less, I still hate him because he is so extremely annoying and just won't stop being annoying -.-
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't absolutely despise Jar Jar, they certainly should have toned him down quite a bit.

Even Yoda's quite annoying when we first meet him, but Jar Jar just doesn't let up, and his antics end up being ultra campy and silly (meant to entertain young children, I imagine).
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your Star Wars Universe? Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
(Here's mine):
Han shot Greedo first. The softening of Han's character from Ep IV to Ep VI is cheapened if he was merely defending himself. He's supposed to be a hard-boiled smuggler and we get to see him get softened from his contact with the Rebellion and Leia.

Midichlorians. They don't exist. 'nuff said.

The Yuuzhan Vong. Whoever decided that these aliens should belong in the Star Wars universe needs to be tarred and feathered. One of an endless list of alien threats to the New Republic. *yawn*

Sounds darned good to me. My #3 is essentially ANH up to Visions of the Future- and the further past the Thrawn trilogy you get, the more malleable/willing-to-give-it-up things become. (Which is why an Episode 7 that doesn't canon-conflict with the X-wing and Thrawn books is one that I could live with...) Subconsciously, the prequels/KOTOR era probably still exist, they just... never really enter into anything. They're ignored as irrelevant- and if they conflict with something OT, they automatically lose out.

An easier way to put it is... everything that happened in the real world from '77 to '98 or so. Smile There are still Shistavanen and Defel in the Cantina. Han not only shoots first, he shoots ONLY. Jedi can obviously get married; what kind of idiot would suggest that they can't? Yoda still has some shred of moral integrity. Lepi, Spiners, Toffs, and Nagai are plentiful. Teeks and Maraders ravaged Endor, Bea Arthur does musical numbers at the Cantina, Admiral Screed has is out for Mungo Baobab, and I find it glorious! Very Happy Wraith Squadron fights the Warlord Zsinj, Thrawn is the coolest villain ever, and Waru happened, probably. (Although, I would entertain the notion that Dark Empire didn't). And most importantly, Anakin and Tahiri have a bright future ahead of them... Crying or Very sad

But yeah. That is 'my' Star Wars universe- not what I know canon to be, which is quite different... and not really my cup of tea anymore. Just my preference, and the tone I bring to my RPG.

shadoes wrote:
ooo that leaves me to revise mine to a Christmas special only. Life day anyone? Razz Shocked

I'd play that game! That would be awesome! Very Happy

Chandra Mindarass wrote:
Do I get kicked off the board, when I say that I use a lot of Ewoks movie stuff in my games? That fuzzy white creature, that moves like lightning. I made an NPC "co-pilot" of that species. Oh, the havoc it caused in Mos Espa! Twisted Evil

Noah's ship is cool

Chandra- you are awesome... and so is Teek. And Noa's ship is the bomb!

garhkal wrote:
I have heard that before, same with if you don't allow anyone that wants to be a force user to play one, you are not playing SW.

Why not? You're not denying that the Force exists, just informing your players that it is not strong in any of them- perhaps because you don't want to open that can of worms. I wouldn't let one of my PCs be a Teek, a Hutt, Grand Admiral Thrawn's brother, or a Dunagowin. Mostly for reasons of gamebreaking, difficulty in handling, or plausibility. I think my game would still be Star Wars; it would just be saying 'certain things are off limits for this small group of individuals within the universe.' (that said, I had this no-force rule, but have relented due to player persistence. Even if I hadn't, however, I wouldn't see my game as 'not Star Wars' because not one of 5 individuals isn't a Jedi. Statistically, in fact, that's more common by far int he Star Wars universe!) Wink

Not that I want to jump in the PT/OT debate that the thread has turned to (obviously I do not like the Prequels, and reject them on numerous levels), but I think that another reason that you have people that hate/reject the Prequels (aside from generally inferior storytelling and dialogue, IMHO) and Clone Wars cartoons is simply because they like the OT and the EU. Maybe they grew up with it, maybe they discovered it recently. Either way, they find the stories and characters enjoyable and worthwhile, maybe even emotionally invest in them.

And then the PT materials come along and start to conflict with them or knock them out.

I don't know about you, but if something new is trying to knock something I really enjoy aside, it doesn't predispose me to be charitable toward the aggressive newcomer.

SW canon conflicts and EU/PT battles didn't HAVE to happen. Lucas chose to make them that way, to disregard the EU. If you look at recently released interviews from the making of ROTJ book, he contradicts some of his OWN ideas about the prequels from '81, and sometimes I wonder if it was just a teritoriality thing; contradicting what everyone 'knew' and the EU had established just so he could take control and show everyone who was still boss. I dunno; I'm not in George Lucas' head.

But either way, he turned it into a battle. PT or EU, take your pick (or ignore the conflicts and just treat it all as entertainment media that doesn't matter for anything... but let's face it, this isn't a messageboard for people that care about SW that little Wink ). And I think EU/OT fans can grow resentful. They didn't start anything; they were happy to coexist. The PT materials were the ones that 'attacked.' That turned it into a choice. That made people choose sides. And some people probably resent that. I know I do.

Likewise, if you're gonna pick a side, the OT and EU make for a much more attractive package... for some, myself included, they have much more to offer, and are entirely consistent with each other. The PT have whinny Anakin, Jar Jar the devil, and are sitting there saying "You can have me, or you can have Thrawn. You can't have both!" The Thrawn Trilogy is sitting over there going "I was trying to be consistent with what Lucas gave me. I would've been happy to coexist." It makes for a pretty clear choice.

Now, not saying that it's the ONLY choice, or the only right one, or anything like that. Clearly, it's individually to-taste. But for those baffled at the PT-hate, that might help to explain what you're confused about.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Cap'nCodskale
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Too Hard to Unlearn What I've Learned? Reply with quote

Whew, long thread! Can hardly be a fan and lack an opinion on this topic Wink

belshazzar wrote:
There's plenty of space for everybody in the Galaxy.

Agreed. The Star Wars universe is a very big place and I try to run my games in an inclusive way. Of my most recent batch of players, some strongly prefer the original films, one strongly prefers the newer ones (and perhaps prefers the CG Clone Wars cartoon even more) and one player has no preference whatsoever. I like to think that, by painting in broad strokes rather than fine detail (esp. re: galactic history), I run games most can enjoy.

Still, I do run my game from a certain point of view.

Yoda wrote:
You must unlearn what you have learned.

Easier said than done, master.

As a wise man suggests, my personal vision of Star Wars is informed by childhood experience. For the most part I prefer Star Wars as defined during its first ten years, perhaps capped either by the end of the Marvel comics series or of the Nelvana cartoons.

If the decades since '77 are wells, the first is the one from which I draw most often. The other wells are drinkable, but this one tastes better to me.

The water (or blue milk, maybe?) is particularly sweet when drawn from the first few years of this early period—let's say everything released prior to Empire Strikes Back.* Rationale for this finer preference is hard to describe/define. Maybe something to do with the cultural phenomenon surrounding the original film?

Anyhow, despite the inclusive broad strokes, I do run a game that suits my tastes, set between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back and starring player characters who are members of the Rebellion or at least Rebel sympathizers.

Processed through that filter I find content sourced from the prequel trilogy or (the rest of) the expanded universe surprisingly easy to swallow.

Very Happy

* Yes, this includes the holiday special.

Last edited by Cap'nCodskale on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Cap'nCodskale! I'm just up the road a bit in Seattle, so it's great to have another NW person here (there's actually quite a few of us!) Very Happy
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your Star Wars Universe? Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
I'm not in George Lucas' head.
Thank God for that! If you were, there's no telling what you would look like tomorrow...

Complete Starship Construction System
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple years since I dug into this thread.

What I'm getting out of it now is ideas for my new campaign; one that will deviate greatly from cannon. The big changes will be that Padme, not Anakin becomes Palpatines apprentice and the Skywalker twins get switched in where they grow up and Leia is the one who becomes the apprentice of Ben Kenobi and Luke grows up on Alderaan.

But there's many other ideas I've read in this thread that will add more depth to my ideas.

BTW; the Padme and Skywalker switch came from a Deviant Art artist that goes by the name of LexiKimble. Very imaginative artist.

May the Force be with you.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens to Anakin?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool idea, Bulldogzeta! 8)
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the artist saw things, Anakin died. No more details than that. But I envision that foreseeing Anakin's death is what led Padme to the dark side, much as foreseeing Padme's death drove Anakin to the dark side in canon.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Padme is force-sensitive now?

That's an interesting idea.

I figure she would be a much less powerful minion than Anakin would have been.

Also, Bulldogzeta, can you provide a link for the art you are talking about? I am very intrigued!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...she wouldn't be as powerful as Anakin. The concept art was interesting.

That turn of story would, of course, make Palpatine that much more interested in Padme's kids as minions; they'd be way more powerful than she.
Bulldogzeta
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best of the artwork for this particular plot I plan to use is here:

http://lexikimble.deviantart.com/art/I-am-your-Mother-152094620

From here you can navigate and look at the rest of her gallery.

I'm rather early in my planning, and I would agree that Padme would be less powerful than Anakin. Perhaps Anakin proved to be uncooperative and discovered the Emperor was manipulating him. Lots of different things could have happened.

One thing that comes to mind is that while Padme may be less powerful, I have a feeling that she would be far more devious. She had been a politician after all. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: