The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactics Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Cause i doubt tactics would add to everyone's skills all the time like with battle mind.

Is it really all that different from using Enhance Attribute for a bunch of folks?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Cause i doubt tactics would add to everyone's skills all the time like with battle mind.

Is it really all that different from using Enhance Attribute for a bunch of folks?

Not really, but the idea is to use the basic concept of Enhance Attribute to show the ways by which good tactics and planning can make a difference in a combat situation.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Properly written and applied, these rules would make Tactics an exciting and valuable part of any group combat scenario. Almost all of the complicated rolls would take place prior to the mission beginning, and the bonuses that Tactics could provide would give the team's "brain" a valid way to contribute to the group's success in combat as a whole.

Thoughts?

Did you take a gander of what i initially wrote?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned what really makes Tactics work:

Practice

There's a reason that militaries constantly run exercises and mock wargames. The best way to learn tactics is to practice them... and practice them against enemies with DIFFERENT tactics.

Imperial Officers and Stormtroopers have high tactics because they practice working together and know how one another acts during combat. They can react with instinct because they know each other so well.

Teamwork is what's really represented by a high tactics skill. Command is there to initiate that teamwork.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned what really makes Tactics work:

Practice

There's a reason that militaries constantly run exercises and mock wargames. The best way to learn tactics is to practice them... and practice them against enemies with DIFFERENT tactics.

Imperial Officers and Stormtroopers have high tactics because they practice working together and know how one another acts during combat. They can react with instinct because they know each other so well.

Teamwork is what's really represented by a high tactics skill. Command is there to initiate that teamwork.

And that's something I'd like to factor into a new Tactics skill as well, rather than making it some nebulous thing that you can't really see where teamwork and practice come into play with stormtroopers and the like. I want to be able to present that ability as an actual dice roll, not an abstract in-game concept or side-note.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Did you take a gander of what i initially wrote?

I did, and I liked it, but I also wanted to allow for the possibility of revising tactics "on the fly" to account for the changing situation. There also should be some way to account for the fact that a tactical plan may be based on flawed information, as in an ambush like the Battle of Endor.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hows about the big bonus (like my IP showed) for planned stuff, and smaller bonuses for on the fly reactioning.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So hows about the big bonus (like my IP showed) for planned stuff, and smaller bonuses for on the fly reactioning.

That sounds plausible. Do you have some numbers in mind?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see...

Tactics over diff (or opponent)
For planned situations
0-5 over. +1 to initiave for first rouond.
6-10 over. +2 to initiave for first 2 rounds.
11-15 over. +1d for first round of init.
16-20 over. +1d for first 2 rounds of init, or auto go first in first round.
21-25 over. +1d+1 for first 4 rounds of combat, or auto choice to go first for 2 rounds. Also gains 2 free dice to allocate to any person(s) the one making the tactics roll sees fit.
26-30. +1d+1 for 5 rounds, or auto first for 2. Same 2d for allocation.
31-35. +1d+2 for 6 rounds, or auto first for 3. Allocation now up to 3d. Can give 2d max to 1 person.
36-40, +1d+2 to all initiave through out combat, or auto choice for first 4 rounds of combat. 3d allocation.
41+, +2d to initiave through out combat or auto first pic for 4 rounds. 4D allocation OR everyone gains +2 pips to skill of their choice through out combat.

If applying as an on the fly reaction to a situation, the bonuses go to
0-5, +1 init/2 rounds.
6-10, +2 init/2 rounds
11-15, +2 init/3 rounds.
16-20, +1d/3 rounds. +1d that can be given out in 1 pip increments.
21-25, +1d/4 rounds. +1d that can be given out in 1 pip increments.
26-30, +1d+1/4 rounds. +1d+1 that can be given out in 1 pip increments.
31-36, +1d+2/5 rounds. +1d+1 to give out
37+, +1d+2/5 rounds, +1d+2 to give out...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for one thing, your 0-5 and 6-10 brackets seem to be almost identical for planned vs. on-the-fly (assuming I'm reading it right). I would suggest slashing those two to no bonuses at all for on-the-fly. Maybe just have 1-10 be a stalemate bracket, where the tactical situation is so fluid that it is mostly dependent on the skill of the individual combatants.

Also, another thing to consider would be modifiers to the Tactics skill roll itself, reflecting the overall situation. With that sort of thinking, we would technically be moving from Tactics to Strategy, but perhaps it would be best to keep things all under one heading.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch.. should have been 1rnd bonus for the 0-5 and 6-10 brackets for on the fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: