The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactics Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Tactics Reply with quote

Rather than dig up the old thread on this i felt i would start a new one. it was asked a while back what exactly you get from tactics, as the rule book leaves this up to gm discression. Rather than go that route i have made up the following.

1) –“Group tactics must be done before the combat is joined for any benefits to be realized. All in the group benefit even if they were not party to the combined tactics roll, but 3 or more (if a 6 man table, 50% for lesser tables) must do so.
15-25 tactics roll - 1D bonus to the first 2 initiative rolls of the party,
Or
they can immediately act first in the first round of combat
20-30 tactics roll - 1D bonus to the first 4 initiative rolls,
Or
choice to act first in the first 2 rounds of combat. 2D 'wild die' pool to
disseminate to anyone for ONE roll (can be split up), but once used it is
done. Has NO harmful effect if a 1 but explodes as if a wild die.
30-40 tactics roll As with the above, but the wild die bonus goes to 3D
40-50 tactics roll As above, but bonus goes to 4D
50-60 tactics roll As above but instead of a 4D pool, everyone gets 1D to use as they see fit
when ever.
60+ tactics roll Everyone gets 2D to use when ever.
If the opposition has also rolled group tactics, which ever group gets higher than the other consults the above chart but rather than starting at 10 above, it starts at 01.”
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I likey. You get a cookie, Garhk.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for extra D given for tactics rolls, unless it is very specific tactic used in combat like using fire to distract the enemy can give a bonus to another's sneak roll to get behind the enemy and surprise them.

Generally I use tactics as either the GM hint line, if the players make a tactics roll I give them hints on possible problem solutions, giving the player info that their character would know or has figured out with a good tactics ability. Helpful for those times when the players aren't getting the hints you've laid out. Can also help the players avoid an ambush by figuring out their opponents tactics.

When the players come up with their own plan, I occasionally roll an opposed tactics to see if their opponents will be surprised or anticipate the tactics used, can lead to better rewards or luck for the players, but can also lead to complications when the plan goes wrong.

For direct combat tactics, I use less roll modifiers and instead will let them figure out the other groups tactics to get a surprise going. "You can guess that these two are scouts from their gear, they probably have reinforcements 50 meters behind" So the players can ambush the main group instead of attacking the scouts and alerting the main force or try to take out the scouts silently.
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delkarnu wrote:
I don't care for extra D given for tactics rolls, unless it is very specific tactic used in combat like using fire to distract the enemy can give a bonus to another's sneak roll to get behind the enemy and surprise them.

Generally I use tactics as either the GM hint line, Can also help the players avoid an ambush by figuring out their opponents tactics.

When the players come up with their own plan, I occasionally roll an opposed tactics to see if their opponents will be surprised or anticipate the tactics used, can lead to better rewards or luck for the players, but can also lead to complications when the plan goes wrong.

Iuse it to speed up play a little bit. The direct adding to D for actions I agree with you Delkarnau, for a specific task only, hide for an ambush, blaster shots to take out an emplacement, etc.

Favorite use is do they reduce the risk or raise it. IE if they made the roll by a whole lot they attack when they are sleeping, or at the one place the minefield in missing, but failing it is bad, oops they are changing the guard and both groups are there. This is sometimes opposed and sometimes not.

Use it on a grand scale also so they can figure out what the enemy’s objective is and how powerful they really are.

I rarely use it as a hint unless I have a session when neither of my more militaristic players is around and the rest are clueless about anything in terms of tactics, other than I shoot.

AWAD
jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the extra die concept. Trained units will operate more efficiently together than as individuals. Besides, this is a good way to give stormies a little more punch.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In war everything is position and timing a superior tactics roll might tell you how to find the right position to attack from or get around the enemies patrols and heavy defences etc but actually getting doing any of these things requires the use of the proper skills i.e. sneak to slip past a patrol blasters to shoot. I think that with combined action bonuses getting an extra bonus from tactics is unnessasary. If your tactics are sound then the enemy will have a harder time hearing you when you sneak(you chose the area with visual cover and noise cover e.t.c.), you can get behind e-web or attack from cover or a blind spot e.t.c.
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't your argument support my stance?

You wrote:
Quote:
If your tactics are sound then the enemy will have a harder time hearing you when you sneak

It sounds like my tactics roll should make my troops more effective.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes high tactical rolls should provide for a better strategic position but this should make the enemies difficulty classes higher. Giving the players access to more dice via good tactics adds to the bucket o dice problem and can potentialy give the characters a massive dice pool when combined with the bonuses given for combining their actions.

In other words a good tactic is it's own reward(avoidance of traps, better attack plans .e.t.c.) any other bonus the gm chooses to give should be a rollplaying choice.

At least that's my position. To each his own.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
Yes high tactical rolls should provide for a better strategic position but this should make the enemies difficulty classes higher. Giving the players access to more dice via good tactics adds to the bucket o dice problem and can potentialy give the characters a massive dice pool when combined with the bonuses given for combining their actions.

In other words a good tactic is it's own reward(avoidance of traps, better attack plans .e.t.c.) any other bonus the gm chooses to give should be a rollplaying choice.

At least that's my position. To each his own.

Thats pretty much what i do with tactics. A good roll means you have a good attack strategy.

EG:
enemy has 20 men

no tactics roll, you face them all at once

good tactics roll
only 5 can shoot at you at a time, but there is still the 20 of them

makes fights easier, but still stressful. and no dice bonuses.

I also do avoidance of encounters if its a fore-planning tactics (eg tactics to assult a base with the following security perimeter, you can avoid certain confrontations if you know where to be and when to be there)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
jmanski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, to be honest, how you handle tactics needs to match your campaign setting.

Quote:
To each his own.

Absolutely.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about,

"Tactics Points". The group gets some tactics points based on the roll (say 1 for success +1 per 5 over difficulty) that can be spent by characters on that side like character points. This could give a nice bonus, but since it gets used up, it isn't a powerful as command.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I've been considering. Why not just make Tactics a sort of group Enhance Attribute for non-Force users?

Here's my theory (roughly).

The character who is in tactical command of the situation rolls Tactics, either against the opponent's Tactics skill, or just against a base difficulty (modifiers as needed).

Once he makes a successful Tactics roll, he must then pass a Command check which allows him to "disperse" those tactics to the characters under his command.

On a successful Command roll, apply the Tactics result to the chart provided under the Enhance Attribute Force power (it may be necessary to make that chart more open ended to reflect tactical super-geniuses like Thrawn). Once you have that bonus, all characters under the tactician's command may apply that bonus to all skills under the attribute best suited to the kind of combat they are engaged in (i.e. Dexterity for ground combat, and Mechanical for space combat). The skill rolled could be either the general Tactics skill, or specializations like Tactics: Small Squads or Tactics: Starfighters.

It might also be feasible to include a skill bonus based on the degree of success of the Command check. Naturally, there would also be bonuses and penalties applied due to size disparity between forces, as well as ambush situations and the like. Tactics could even be rolled for determining operational or strategic initiative, ala Grand Admiral Thrawn predicting his opponent's actions to the T. Ultimately, Tactics could be used in a similar fashion to Garhkal's situational awareness skill rules.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going that route, why not use a form of battlemind?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause i doubt tactics would add to everyone's skills all the time like with battle mind.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
If you're going that route, why not use a form of battlemind?

You mean like the Force Power? I'm not sure exactly how that would apply.

My goal in any rules proposal is to simplify existing rules to speed up the story-telling process of gameplay, to modify rules where they do not (IMO) adequately reflect the in-game duplication of the reality of the SWU, and to add new elements to the rules, but only if those new rules do conflict with my first two points.

In this case, WEG gave us this great new skill called Tactics. Their five-paragraph description essentially boils down to "We're not really sure how we can apply this skill to whatever situation the character's may find themselves in, so we're just going to wing it and leave it up to your GM." Not very helpful.

IMO, for something to be truly useful in the SW-RPG, we need to know how it effects the bottom line (translation: the dice roll). When you come right down to it, good tactics increases the effectiveness of a unit, and the best way to express that on a gameplay level is through dice bonuses, as opposed to the GM having to make up suggestions on the spot.

Plus, this will make Tactics a much more desirable skill because it will allow Tactics to offer concrete bonuses in a group combat situation, as opposed to its very nebulous effects in the RAW.

Right now my concept is relatively bare bones, so I need the forum's input to flesh it out:

Part 1: Prediction vs. Deception
This is the initial phase of tactics, where you are trying to predict your enemy's course of action, and concoct a plan that does something unexpected or takes advantage of his weaknesses. On an equal playing field, your opponent will be doing the same thing, but this will not always be the case (in covert ops, the enemy likely won't know you are coming, and will be adhering to standard procedures designed to counter a wide variety of threats).

This will primarily be a Knowledge exercise, and the tacticians could receive multiple bonuses from other skills, as well. Alien Species, Cultures, Planetary Systems and Scholar could all provide additional bonuses to the Tactics roll in the form of insights into specific aspects of those skills that would have bearing on the tactical situation. In addition, in a group planning scenario, multiple characters would be able to contribute their knowledge in the form of dice bonuses to tactics by using applicable skills.

The rolls would take two forms. In an overt combat situation, the opposing tacticians would make opposing rolls, and the result of the overall tactical situation would be decided on a chart (stalemate, slight advantage, major advantage, ambush, etc). In the event of a raid or other covert op, the tactics roll would need to be against a set difficulty level, equivalent to the defensive and security tactics used by the defenders. Of course, if the enemy has foreknowledge of the planned raid, the GM would need to make a secret roll to determine the actual combat situation, but the characters would make their initial roll thinking that they had an advantage.

Part 2: Planning
This would take place during the planning stages of the mission. The team leader would use the technique I described in my initial post, rolling his Tactics skill to determine the bonus, then rolling his Command skill to see how successfully he passed that bonus on to his subordinates. This bonus would remain constant, either for the course of the mission, or until Part 3 comes into play.

Part 3: Reaction
As the saying goes, no battle plan survives combat with the enemy. Once open combat has broken out, the tactical situation will be in a state of flux, with advantages shifting based on a variety of factors. If your supposedly covert raid was blown from the beginning, and the characters are ambushed, all their bonuses evaporate, and the enemy is now the one at an advantage. In this situation, the team leader can make another Tactics roll (with an appropriate penalty, since he is being rushed and having to make things up on the fly) and attempt to regain the initiative and his team's bonuses. This can turn into a back-and-forth mind game between the opposing commanders.

There are other factors as well. For a team operating separately, good communication is a must for combined tactics. If the tactical situation changes, and the comms are being jammed, the team leader is only able to add a bonus to the characters with whom he is able to communicate. Everyone else will have to make do on their own.

However, it may also be possible to have the Planning phase include rules for "Plan B", so that not all bonuses are lost, and the subordinates have specific instructions as to what to do if the tactical situation changes in a manner that was planned for.

Properly written and applied, these rules would make Tactics an exciting and valuable part of any group combat scenario. Almost all of the complicated rolls would take place prior to the mission beginning, and the bonuses that Tactics could provide would give the team's "brain" a valid way to contribute to the group's success in combat as a whole.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: