The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Those who create conversions: Have you ever played d20?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Those who create conversions: Have you ever played d20? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
Finally someone else that thinks the star-wars universe was better off before all of the so called "Official cannon."retcons.

Guh? Aren't the retcon proponents the less common among the long standing fans?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Guh? Aren't the retcon proponents the less common among the long standing fans?

I've always thought so, but maybe he's been hanging with some people who like the newer stuff.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played some d20 games, but never Star Wars. I'm not opposed to playing d20. I think it has a different focus and it serves a niche as a system. I've got several Saga edition books, and I've read through all of the rules, so I'm somewhat prepared if ever I get a chance to play in a Saga Edition game. I really think it would help me in my conversions if I was more familiar with the actual running of a game.

Though I'm not so terribly opposed to d20, I'm still a D6'er at heart. I love the simplicity and cinematic style.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That news is music to my ears, most of the people i have spoken to get upset and very defenciv, it's nice to know that their are so many others out there who don't.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've played D&D but not D20 star wars and i can say that i'll take a character point system to a level system any day. that said the D20 system actually works ok for medieval settings where your job defines who you are and what you can do. this doesn't work so well in modern and most scifi settings. and another thing that is positive about D20 is that is the mid-ground between rules lite (WEG star wars) and rules heavy (heroes). personally i'm a rules lite gamer, i don't need a rule for every situation.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
i've played D&D but not D20 star wars and i can say that i'll take a character point system to a level system any day. that said the D20 system actually works ok for medieval settings where your job defines who you are and what you can do.

I'll agree with you there on the broader point of class/level systems. However, there are far superior ones to D20. My go to system for fantasy is HARP. It is a class and level system, but what happens at each level is that you get a bunch of points to distribute however you like, it's just that it's cheaper to advance skills in your preferred categories (determined by profession).

Basically, it's a streamlined version of Rolemaster, and an heir to the old MERP system, but much improved. I find it to be far superior to D20. There's even a variant that uses a D20 instead of D100, for those who want to simplify the math (although the rules stay the same, i.e., superior to D20 system ones). Basically, everything done well by D20 is done just as well if not better by HARP, and the things done badly by D20 (the horrible Vancian magic, for instance) are done far better.

I have no connection to ICE in promoting HARP, it's just that my first 2 games ever were D6 Star Wars and MERP, and HARP improves on MERP, so I like to spread the word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: