The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starfighter Upgrades: Rancor Pit Community Poject!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> New Starfighter Upgrades: Rancor Pit Community Poject!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: New Starfighter Upgrades: Rancor Pit Community Poject! Reply with quote

I originally posted this in House Rules but I thought that it might be more apropriate here....

Here are My bare bones rules for modifing and upgrading Starfighters theses systems do not take up any weight or tonnage as they are designed for small fighter craft and not light freighters. Being designed for the smaller starfighters some of these systems are less expensive then those for light freighters (and similar ships) are and some are MORE expensive (and sometimes difficult to install to boot), due to the miniaturization required for small fighter craft.

Enjoy, and please tell me what you think of this guys. Smile

Starfighter Accessories:

Hyperdrive Sled (15,000 Credits; Penalty: -2 pips from Maneuverability to a minimum of 0D): Hyperdrive Multiplier of x1.5 and adds up to a maximum of 1 week of consumables (if the ship has less then 1 week stock).

Nav Computer, Limited (800 Credits, +400 per each additional jump up to a max. of 10 astrogation coordinates): Basic models have a max. of 2 Jumps they can compute, and more advanced models can compute more up to 10 sets of astrogation coordinates (Uses 10 Kilograms of Storage Space).

Droid Link (25,000 Credits): Allows the fighter to benefit from an astromech droid in the same manner as an X-Wing fighter (Uses 30 Kilograms of Storage Space).

Starfighter Hyperdrive Upgrade (Internal):

(Double all difficulties of installing an internal Hyperdrive into a fighter if it was not originally equipped with one as stock):

x5 Multiplier (7500 Credits)
x4 Multiplier (12,000 Credits)
x3 Multiplier (21,000 Credits)
x2 Multiplier (30,000 Credits)
x1 Multiplier (39,000 Credits)

Starfighter Ion Drive Upgrade:

Space: 1/Atmosphere: 600 km/h (4000 Credits)
Space: 2/Atmosphere: 650 km/h (6000 Credits)
Space: 3/Atmosphere: 750 km/h (8000 Credits)
Space: 4/Atmosphere: 800 km/h (10,000 Credits)
Space: 5/Atmoshpere: 850 km/h (15,000 Credits)
Space: 6/Atmosphere: 950 km/h (20,000 Credits)
Space: 7/Atmosphere: 1,000 km/h (35,000 Credits)
Space: 8/Atmosphere: 1,050 km/h (50,000 Credits)
Space: 9/Atmosphere: 1,150 km/h (70,000 Credits)
Space: 10/Atmosphere: 1,200 km/h (80,000 Credits)
Space: 11/Atmosphere: 1,250 km/h (85,000 Credits)
Space: 12/Atmosphere: 1,300 km/h (90,000 Credits)

Starfighter Shield System Upgrades:

Shield Strength: 1D (5,000 Credits)
Shield Strength: 2D (10,000 Credits)
Shield Strength: 3D (20,000 Credits)

Starfighter Weapon Upgrades*:

(*Use the stats on page 40 of Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, except they cost DOUBLE the listed prices and take up no cargo space/tonnage due to miniaturization.)

Last edited by Falcon79 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well can someone PDF or DOC file this for me? Also comentts are welcome! Sad
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:

Do you have any Starfighter Repair or Starfighter Engineering (A) difficulties associated with each upgrade?

There needs to be some kind of drawback to some of these... 3D shields would draw a lot of power... where's this power coming from if you don't upgrade the starfighter's power core?

Or perhaps use mishap rolls instead? that starfighter will get pretty tempermental with all that tweaking. Smile

What you have is good, just needs some refining...
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rerun941"]
Falcon79 wrote:

Rerun941 wrote:
Do you have any Starfighter Repair or Starfighter Engineering (A) difficulties associated with each upgrade?
They'd be similar to those for modding light freighters and similar ships though in some cases more difficult....

Rerun941 wrote:
There needs to be some kind of drawback to some of these... 3D shields would draw a lot of power... where's this power coming from if you don't upgrade the starfighter's power core?
Agreed... maybe higher dificulty numbers? to reflect the extra work and "tight" design of of starfighters?

Rerun941 wrote:
Or perhaps use mishap rolls instead? that starfighter will get pretty tempermental with all that tweaking. Smile
That usually happens when an amature screws with modding a vehicle already existing system beyond stock preformance levels....

Rerun941 wrote:
What you have is good, just needs some refining...
Thanks am looking for more ideas as well.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that these would require higher difficulty numbers. You can possibly get around that depending on who you are affiliated with. If you are part of a larger group (ie. rebels) or corporation, there is probably someone employed to do the work for you.
If you are doing the work independently, I would think it would be more difficult to get everything right. Most of our PC characters are probably not starfighter mechanics by trade!

I also agree that depending on the upgrade, something else may suffer. The first thing I thought of was the old X-Wing game in which you had to balance power between shields, weapons, and engines. Increasing shields may mean they do not recharge nearly fast enough or that once damaged, are more susceptible to being burned out. Adding weapons may mean shield strength would suffer. Both could affect max speed. In my opinion, this requires the owner of the ship to choose between offensive power, durability, and speed. Most starfighters can't provide all THREE!!!

One piece of info that I thought was missing was reinforced hull. It would probably not be possible on some starfighters. Increasing the hull code would, in my opinion, lower the manuverability and/or move.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YodaWI wrote:
I would agree that these would require higher difficulty numbers. You can possibly get around that depending on who you are affiliated with. If you are part of a larger group (ie. rebels) or corporation, there is probably someone employed to do the work for you.
If you are doing the work independently, I would think it would be more difficult to get everything right. Most of our PC characters are probably not starfighter mechanics by trade!

I also agree that depending on the upgrade, something else may suffer. The first thing I thought of was the old X-Wing game in which you had to balance power between shields, weapons, and engines. Increasing shields may mean they do not recharge nearly fast enough or that once damaged, are more susceptible to being burned out. Adding weapons may mean shield strength would suffer. Both could affect max speed. In my opinion, this requires the owner of the ship to choose between offensive power, durability, and speed. Most starfighters can't provide all THREE!!!

Agreed... At most you'd get two of those I think....

YodaWI wrote:
One piece of info that I thought was missing was reinforced hull. It would probably not be possible on some starfighters. Increasing the hull code would, in my opinion, lower the manuverability and/or move.

That's actually covered by the same rules as upgrading shieds in Star Wars 2nd Edition R&E Nicely......
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are, sorry about the delay:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E9ZT41L5
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Here you are, sorry about the delay:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E9ZT41L5
Thanks Gry! Looks awesome! But was hoping the community had addition systems and Ideas for it they could add to it I really pictured it as collaborative project..... Smile
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, I thought you just wanted it PDFed. Don't think I have anything to add to it right now, though...
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Oh, sorry, I thought you just wanted it PDFed. Don't think I have anything to add to it right now, though...

No problem dude.. Very Happy
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look over this and a couple questions popped into my head. Also, some comments, but half of them have already been mentioned by people here.

So first, my questions:

Is the hyperdrive sled like the one that we see used in the prequels for the fighters that Obi Wan and Anakin use to travel long distances? If so, I'm a little hesitant to price it at 15k. Also, I would think from the bulk of the thing that it would put more of a detriment than -2 pips to Maneuverability. I'd go at least -1D, if not more. Those things did not look like you could be doing any sort of loops, swoops or dodges with them on.

Nav Computer seems good as far as the general stats, but I'm almost thinking it needs to take up more space than 10kg. Maybe 20-25 or so.

Droid Link is priced about where I would put it, but I'd certainly take up more space than 30kg. A droid alone is probably that much, and there has to be the actual casement and mechanical input where the droid goes that also takes up the space.

For the Ion drive upgrades, is the number listed the amount ABOVE the current Space movement of the fighter, or what the number would BECOME? I'm thinking the first option, because I can't see a fighter "upgrading" to a Space: 1. At the same time, though, if that's the correct option, I really can't see a fighter getting a boost of Space: 12 ABOVE their current speed. That's too much, even for a cost of 90,000 credits....if it's added to the current speed of the fighter. If the "upgrade" is simply what becomes the base speed of the fighter, then the costs and Space: X seem good. If it's a real "upgrade" above the basic speed of the fighter already, you need to make some changes.

Now some general comments:

As people have mentioned, if you're upgrading your shields, you need to have some take-aways from either the weapons or the speed of the craft. You could put in the option, such as Shield Strength: 1D (-1 Space or -1 pip to all non-missile weaponry on craft)

It would be good to provide some suggested difficulty numbers for the modifications of these things. How difficult is it to upgrade the hyperdrive to a x3 multiplier. Or how difficult is it to add a Shield: 1D to your fighter. You cover the costs quite well, actually, but it's still missing the difficulty of the tasks to make it a really complete package that can be used as is.

You've got some good ideas...some things I honestly wouldn't have thought of, such as the droid link and hyperdrive sled. Yeah, I know those aren't technically "upgrades" rather than new installation, but it's a neat idea. Just refine it a little with the suggested difficulties, clarify it a little (like for the Ion Drive upgrades) and boost the space requirements just a smidge and it'll make it pretty slick!

Thanks for sharing it!
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
I had a look over this and a couple questions popped into my head. Also, some comments, but half of them have already been mentioned by people here.

So first, my questions:

Grimace wrote:
Is the hyperdrive sled like the one that we see used in the prequels for the fighters that Obi Wan and Anakin use to travel long distances? If so, I'm a little hesitant to price it at 15k. Also, I would think from the bulk of the thing that it would put more of a detriment than -2 pips to Maneuverability. I'd go at least -1D, if not more. Those things did not look like you could be doing any sort of loops, swoops or dodges with them on.

It is like the ones sometimes attached to the cloackshape fighter.. they are permenantly attached to the fighter and compact, but still interferes with maneuverability somewhat.

What your thinking of is a hyperdrive ring which has more penalties then a sled and is detachable. Likely a hyperdrive ring would be cheaper then a sled though.

Grimace wrote:
Nav Computer seems good as far as the general stats, but I'm almost thinking it needs to take up more space than 10kg. Maybe 20-25 or so.

Actually R2 units have Nav-computers/astrogation Buffers buit into them which take up little weight it seems.

Grimace wrote:
Droid Link is priced about where I would put it, but I'd certainly take up more space than 30kg. A droid alone is probably that much, and there has to be the actual casement and mechanical input where the droid goes that also takes up the space.
True but technically you ar partially rebuilding the fighter to accept it.... I didn't want to be TOO restrictive with it ... but I didn't want to be TOO generous with it either.. many fighter have very little storage space.

Grimace wrote:
For the Ion drive upgrades, is the number listed the amount ABOVE the current Space movement of the fighter, or what the number would BECOME? I'm thinking the first option, because I can't see a fighter "upgrading" to a Space: 1. At the same time, though, if that's the correct option, I really can't see a fighter getting a boost of Space: 12 ABOVE their current speed. That's too much, even for a cost of 90,000 credits....if it's added to the current speed of the fighter. If the "upgrade" is simply what becomes the base speed of the fighter, then the costs and Space: X seem good. If it's a real "upgrade" above the basic speed of the fighter already, you need to make some changes.

It is a complete replacement drive and takes the place of the original. As such it could be better or worse (if you so choose) then the OEM gear that came in fighter....

Grimace wrote:
Now some general comments:

As people have mentioned, if you're upgrading your shields, you need to have some take-aways from either the weapons or the speed of the craft. You could put in the option, such as Shield Strength: 1D (-1 Space or -1 pip to all non-missile weaponry on craft)

It would be good to provide some suggested difficulty numbers for the modifications of these things. How difficult is it to upgrade the hyperdrive to a x3 multiplier. Or how difficult is it to add a Shield: 1D to your fighter. You cover the costs quite well, actually, but it's still missing the difficulty of the tasks to make it a really complete package that can be used as is.
Thanks am looking for ideas on the difficultly numbers (as I have no experiance GMing SW D6) as I'm not sure of what to assign...

As for the power issue... Maybe we can apply your suggested penalies unless the tech also replaces the power core or the fighter (itself an expensive peice of equipment) with a more powerful one?

Grimace wrote:
You've got some good ideas...some things I honestly wouldn't have thought of, such as the droid link and hyperdrive sled. Yeah, I know those aren't technically "upgrades" rather than new installation, but it's a neat idea. Just refine it a little with the suggested difficulties, clarify it a little (like for the Ion Drive upgrades) and boost the space requirements just a smidge and it'll make it pretty slick!

Thanks! I acually see this as a community project for everyone... If you want to help and add your own ideas you are welcome too... Smile

Grimace wrote:
Thanks for sharing it!
You are very welcome dude! Very Happy
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one got any other Ideas to add? Want to pick this back up again.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that you have some good stuff out there.

-Some- of the stuff is covered in various books. GG6 as an example covers various ion drives.

Space Move: 12 = 500,000 creds
Space Move: 10 = 100,000 creds
Space Move: 8 = 50,000 creds
Space Move: 6 = 20,000 creds
Space Move: 4 = 10,000 creds

I would put Space 5 in the middle of 4 and 6, so Space Move of 5 = 15,000 creds. With a 30k diff between 6 and 8, the Space Move of 7 would be 35,000 creds, and so on. At least that's how I would handle it.

5 = 15,000
7 = 35,000
9 = 75,000
11 = 300,000

Hyperdrives:
x5 = 2,500, x4 = 4,000, x3 = 7,000, x2 = 10,000, x1 = 15,000 and lastly, x1/2 = illegal, but on black market values up to 90,000

The important thing would be to upgrade the energy from the engine output. When you're going to upgrade items that are more powerful, as a GM you need to consider whether the "Power Plant" portion was upgraded or not. If not, then obviously there's not enough juice to prime a ships items.

Priming an engine to punch out energy to power a Move 12 engine, 8D in shields, and 4 double weapons would be a lot.

I like the accessories add-on. I would focus more on producing "power points". Maybe make it so that each weapon takes up 1 power point, the engine needs 1 power point per 2 space move, and 1 power point for every D in shields (so 4 weapons, a Move 12 engine, and 8D in shields would be... 18 power points). If someone upgrades the weapons, or adds -more- weapons, with something like "Power Points" you may be able to "Reconfigure" (more effectively at that) whether power goes into shields, weapons, or movement.

If someone has a different outlook on how to assign power I'd love another system.

Maybe upgrading the power plant portion would have a cost based on power points.

Grabbing a random civillian ship, in this case the YG-4210 Transport, would need 4 power points for the weapons, 2 for the move (1 for 1-2 move, 1 for move 3). There is no shields, or anything else to really worry about. To keep things simple I would chalk up "Life Support" to a "Long as the engine is working - it's there".

So the YG-4210 = 6 power points.

Skip over to the CT-200 Medium Transport,
weapons: 3 PP's
Shields: 2 PP's
Move: 2 PP's

So 7 power points.

Figure an average "civiallian ship needs 6 to 8 power points. Starfighters probably need 10 to 12, and military ships probably more yet.

I'm just tossing out ideas, but let me know what you think. =D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: