The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Sourcebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Jedi Sourcebook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Jedi Sourcebook Reply with quote

A friend of mine and I are compiling all the of rules from our game. We currently have complete write ups for:

Powers
Lightsaber & Martial Art Combat
Lightsaber Construction
Lightside Disciplines/Paths

We are currently writing and/or revising sections for:

Darkside Disciplines/Paths
A new system for dark side characters
General history, theory, and ways of the force

My question, however, is what else would complete the guide? Would there be anything else that a Jedi sourcebook would require? We have been tossing around the idea of including an item section and an enemies section, but in our game, Jedi really don't have much other than a saber. The enemies section kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, just because I think pre-gen enemies never fit correctly and encourages laziness on the GM part.
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suggestions? Or was I just too vague about what each of these sections entails? If the former is the case I can post specifics in the next couple of days.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe most of the general info you want is in The Essential Guide to the Force. At least when it comes to the various traditions and so forth.
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not actually looking for a guide. We are writing our own. We dislike many of the current rules. As a result we already have rules we have been using, we are now just writing and compiling them into one source so that others may use our rules if they so wish. I guess you could say that these are house rules that reflect how we view the universe. They also reflect things like rarity, so that not every damn Jedi ends up with a purple saber or is a master of Vaapad or something equally ridiculous.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have it covered, judging by your headings, of course as you mentioned they are a bit broad, so completeness is difficult to judge, but it seems pretty comprehensive. I look forward to reading it.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know when you've got a first draft ready. I'm interested to see what you put together!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcesAndEights wrote:
I'm not actually looking for a guide. We are writing our own. We dislike many of the current rules. As a result we already have rules we have been using, we are now just writing and compiling them into one source so that others may use our rules if they so wish. I guess you could say that these are house rules that reflect how we view the universe. They also reflect things like rarity, so that not every d*mn Jedi ends up with a purple saber or is a master of Vaapad or something equally ridiculous.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to have one of my Jedi learning Vaapad. I've never been real big on the purple saber blade, but I'd still like to get one of my characters into the whole Vaapad scenario. I think it'd provide for some good roleplaying opportunities. Fortunately, though, I'm not so chomping at the bit to do this that I'd sacrifice the game in order to achieve it. And if I did manage to bring this to a Jedi, it'd be to only one of my characters (I'm currently running several) and I'd want to work VERY closely with the GM to make sure it allowed for a good gaming experience for all, rather than turning the game into a campaign to teach my character Vaapad.

Too bad not all players are that considerate of their fellows... Rolling Eyes
AcesAndEights
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to have one of my Jedi learning Vaapad. I've never been real big on the purple saber blade, but I'd still like to get one of my characters into the whole Vaapad scenario. I think it'd provide for some good roleplaying opportunities. Fortunately, though, I'm not so chomping at the bit to do this that I'd sacrifice the game in order to achieve it. And if I did manage to bring this to a Jedi, it'd be to only one of my characters (I'm currently running several) and I'd want to work VERY closely with the GM to make sure it allowed for a good gaming experience for all, rather than turning the game into a campaign to teach my character Vaapad.

Too bad not all players are that considerate of their fellows... Rolling Eyes

See, I don't have an issue with Vaapad or with a PC learning it, but not everyone should have it. It is one of those styles where the style is a reflection of the character and it has to be treated correctly to not come off as ridiculous. I mean, only three people in cannon know it. Finding a way to learn it should be enough to deter most who would seek it for the wrong reasons, but should it not, the character would likely fall anyways (seeing that only one of the three managed to keep the darkness of the style in check.)

As an example, one of my characters in our current campaign started training in it about a year ago in RL. About three years have passed in game time and I still don't have a D in the skill. I do have Juyo (which is a prerequisite as we have written it) at a decent skill level though. Also, the character I'm playing has fallen to the dark side as a result of the pursuit. We are still in the process of resolving that whole issue, which is proving very interesting given how our universe has turned out. There are two Jedi Orders, Luke's and Our's which is a direct continuation of the Old Order. Sidious is alive and well, doing the clone thing and looking for a new apprentice, since Luke is a somewhat troublesome one, and my character is his top prospect.
LamontCranston
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the material about learning the Force and skills and abilities thats in Rule Book Revised & Expanded, the material about training thats in Fragments from the Rim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: