The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

two-weapon fighting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> two-weapon fighting Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Here's a thought.

Something similar might also work for lightsabers or melee weapons. The two weapon strike looks like some of the dual attack moves we see Asaj Ventress make in the Clone Wars cartoons.

Im focusing totally on melee here.

The 'two attacks at one once' idea give żou a slight advantage if you play by a detailed Initiative cound vs actions (which we do). IMO the advantage will not really make it worth it on its own, but can one of the reasons why one would want to develop such a skill.

Im looking for more ideas, they dont need to have mechanics, it can just be opinions on what you think should be the advantage.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Star Wars I'm not sure much advantage is needed as long as the cost isn't too high. But then I see two-weapon use as often being more about color than an in game advantage or skill.

Aside from the initiative advantage for guns or melee weapons that I mentioned, for Jedi, I could see some advantage to parrying blaster bolts if you had two parrying objects.

Thinking back on my two-sworded Runequest character one advantage for two melee weapons might be the ability to fight more offensively by trading a +1D advantage on attack for a -1D disadvantage on defense. Here I am seeing a flurry of slashes as the attacker tries to overwhelm the defender, but if it doesn't work, the attacker's defense has been weakened.

Other than that, I got nothing.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
In Star Wars I'm not sure much advantage is needed as long as the cost isn't too high. But then I see two-weapon use as often being more about color than an in game advantage or skill.

Aside from the initiative advantage for guns or melee weapons that I mentioned, for Jedi, I could see some advantage to parrying blaster bolts if you had two parrying objects.

Thinking back on my two-sworded Runequest character one advantage for two melee weapons might be the ability to fight more offensively by trading a +1D advantage on attack for a -1D disadvantage on defense. Here I am seeing a flurry of slashes as the attacker tries to overwhelm the defender, but if it doesn't work, the attacker's defense has been weakened.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Yeah, I dont really mean only advantage, but how should it be different (Well, some advantage should be in there somewhere, or no one would do it).
Advantage to parry blasters is a good idea.
Perhaps the +1D advantage should be switchable between offence and defence depending on how you use the two weapons. Do you attack or defend with your 'main hand'.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Here's a thought.

For two guns, one advantage could be dual attacks occur on the first action. Let's look at an example.

Johnny Two-Gun vs Han Solo ( Wink solo...one gun...never mind). Both declare two actions.

If Johnny acts first he gets two shots before Han can take an action. Then (assuming he survives) Han takes his first shot. Johnny has used his two actions. Now Han takes his second shot. and Han one gun gets one shot for his first action, and one shot for his second action.

If Han acts first he takes his first shot. Then Johnny Two-Gun (assuming he survives) takes his two shots. Then Han (again assuming he survives) takes his final shot.

Something similar might also work for lightsabers or melee weapons. The two weapon strike looks like some of the dual attack moves we see Asaj Ventress make in the Clone Wars cartoons.

Plus you can do things like\
A free parry (no MAP), or a bonus to parrying. Or if using both to attack, figure as coordinated (+1d damage and to hit).

Quote:

For me as gm, i see it mostly with heavy blaster pistols (fire rate 1), or heavy slug throwers (fire rate 3 at most), so they can do 2 guns a blazing..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me as gm, i see it mostly with heavy blaster pistols (fire rate 1), or heavy slug throwers (fire rate 3 at most), so they can do 2 guns a blazing..
IIR, the T-6 Thunderer is the only heavy blaster pistol that has a ROF of 1. I'm not sure what the rationale for the lower rate of fire is, but then I never understood the rationale for the Thunderer at all. Too many times watching reruns of Dirty Harry on the late night movie channel I suppose. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. i could have sworn most heavies had a fire rate of 1.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fire rate is totally broken and arbitrary and you should either go through all weapons and 'fix' their fire rate, or remove the idea alltogether.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hm.. i could have sworn most heavies had a fire rate of 1.
Nope. I checked Gry's weapons book before posting.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again a 'free' parry/attack is too comparable to just raising the original Lightsaber skill 1D when it comes to CP. Either its cheaper to raise the skill, in which case no one bothers with two weapons, or its more expensive in which case two weapons becomes rather cheap and not really 'special'. In other systems where you gain a bonus to the number of attacks you can make, there usually rather few ways of gaining more attacks and you dont get a penalty to the skill in relation on how many attacks you make.

So far I like.. (dont mean to use them all)
-Bonus to blaster parry.
-Two attacks 'at once' (same initiativ count if you use that).
-+1D to Attack OR Parry (vs. opponent with one weapon).
- 1 MAP per two attacks (perhaps offset with a penalty to parry). However this is only useful for houserule with one parry action per attack, otherwise useless.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
So far I like...
Glad you are finding some ideas that may be useful. Given the amount of arguing we sometimes do, it's nice to hear what somebody likes from the comments they receive. Well done. 8)
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about treating a two weapon shot as a combined action?

So long as you're firing at the same target:
1. The volley from both weapons counts as 1 shot.
2. The combined action bonus offsets the offhand and MAP.
3. Add +1D to the damage of the shot. (Depending on which combined action rules you use. I picked 1D since it's easy to remember & easy to calculate.)

Just like fire-linking a starship weapon or a combined shot from a squad of Stormtroopers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that..
And i also checked grys.. there are a few in there with a F.rate of 1.. but it is strange that not only does R&E have none but base 2nd ed has none..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like that..
And i also checked grys.. there are a few in there with a F.rate of 1.. but it is strange that not only does R&E have none but base 2nd ed has none..
Not at all strange. Re-watch Han on the Death Star he fires pretty fast while running. Much faster than ROF=1. The ROF=1 heavy blaster pistols are the exception. And only being able to fire once in 5 seconds seems very slow to me.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, RoF is totally screwed up and arbitrary.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Again, RoF is totally screwed up and arbitrary.

RoF should be backed up by something in the description, like an energy weapon needing a recharge period before firing another shot, or a reload intensive weapon like a crossbow, a rocket launcher or a single-round grenade launcher.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: