The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

two-weapon fighting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> two-weapon fighting Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aries Bachen
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: two-weapon fighting Reply with quote

My plan to deal with two-weapon fighting was to impose a -1D penalty for using one weapon while holding another. That's -1D to the weapon skill rolls only. It is not an additional action. Multi-action penalties still apply though.
I'd like to hear anyone elses ideas on this issue.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is you get to strike with both weapons at the same target at the same time with one diceroll?

IE I'm holding a vibroshiv and a branch I roll my weapon skill once at -1D and then see if I hit with my weapons (Say vibroshiv is difficulty 10 and branch difficulty 5). I roll a 6 total so I hit with the branch but not the vibroshiv?

Can the same be applied to someone who wants to say stab someone with a sword punch them with his free hand at the same time?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it in a number of different ways. I'm assuming that you're doing a melee weapon, as opposed to blasters. Some of the methods are really flawed, others seem to do alright. Honestly, I don't see a point in penalizing a person for only using one weapon. I've done a lot of historical fencing when I'm using two rapiers or fighting florentine (using a rapier and dagger). I can't think of why I would be worse at using one weapon just because I'm not holding the other one. I just shift fighting stances and styles. Though, perhaps I misunderstood you.

Here's a breakdown of the methods I've seen with a brief overview and a critique.

Two-Weapon Advanced skill route
In this model a character must train to use their two weapons as an advanced skill, doubling character point cost. This allows them an extra +1D to defense or to attack while using two weapons, normal multiple action penalties (MAPs) apply. Alternatively, some have just allowed a character to make an extra free melee weapons or melee parry roll that round. I.E., you can make two rolls with no penalty, two rolls at a -1D penalty, three rolls at a -2D penalty. Regardless, whether you add a bonus, or allow a free action it winds up being the same when the dice start rolling.

critique:
This is really heavy on the point cost while not providing a whole lot of benefit.

Straight bonus route
In this model you assign a +2 for any melee parry or melee weapons rolls while holding two weapons, or one double sided weapon. MAPs apply. (Some have gone as high as +6.)

critique:
This is a pretty straight-forward way of dealing with two weapons. It's simple, and not unbalanced (unless you get as high as a +6 bonus). However, it doesn't really allow room for growth. IRL, you can train with melee weapons, but it doesn't really teach you how to fight with two at once. There isn't a built in mechanic for improving your two-weapon fighting ability.

Special abilities route
In this model, it requires the character to purchase the ability to fight with two weapons. They receive a special ability (not unlike purchasing a d20 feat). With Two-Weapon fighting I, they can parry with a bonus of +2 to +1D. They spend 10-15 for the privilage. MAPs apply.

With Two-Weapon fighting II, they gain the ability to attack with a +2 to +1D bonus. They pay 15-20 cps for the privilate. MAPs still apply. They can take the special abilities for a cumulative effect as often as they like.

critique:
This gets into a system of feats not unlike d20. Where this is not necessarily a bad thing, it does require you to keep separate tabs on developing another set of bonuses and penalties which is contrary to the simplistic style of the D6 game. Also, the GM will have to be careful to keep the cost of the stacking feats balanced with bonuses it grants. You obviously shouldn't have the players taking the same attack feat 20 times, while still only having a 15 cp cost.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the simplest ruling I could come up with:

Attacks with two weapons, whether melee or ranged, give a +1D bonus to the attack skill roll, and a +1D bonus to damage when an attack roll is at least 5 points above the required difficulty. When parrying with two weapons, the Melee Parry skill roll receives a +1D bonus. If the paired weapons have different bonuses or different die ratings for damage, the lower die ratings and smaller bonuses are used for double-weapon attacks and parries.

In addition, I also use a set of size categories for weapons (Sm/Med/Lg) to determine whether a weapon (melee or ranged) receives a penalty for being wielded in 1 hand (no penalty for Small, -5 for Medium, -10 for Large). For example, wielding two knives or two pistols can be advantageous, but if you've got carbines or vibroswords, it's a bit less so. I also use a system vaguely resembling D20 feats to account for special training to avoid size penalties for some weapons; a paired-sword (or paired-lightsaber) fighting system can be fairly deadly, but only if you know what you're doing.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree that using two pistols is advantageous. I don't know about you guys, but I can't aim for crap with one hand, even if it is my right hand (I'm right-handed). One-handing a handgun with my left hand? Forget about it. Proper grip dictates two hands; using one just makes it harder.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to say I dont like it either. It has merit, and i can see where you are coming from (more shots = more chance to do damage) but I dont think the bonuses are merited.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weapon fighting gets its bonus in that you can potentially hit twice, thus inflicting more damage. There should be penalties to using two weapons, not bonuses, as it requires FAR more effort and coordination to wield two than to wield one.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I do. It's realistic, and it means that you have to have a pretty high skill level to pull off "Wyatt Earping" it in a firefight. -1D for using only one hand (for handguns and large or heavy melee weapons, etc.; this applies to both weapons' attack), -1D for using your off-hand (for that weapon's attack only), and you suffer any MAPs as normal. The benefit is that you get two attacks in one turn. You need a skill of 6D+ for it to be viable, higher preferred.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sensible.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it means that the average PC isn't going to be able to pull it off until they've spent some CPs, but a combat-oriented character really can pull it off at character creation. Most of the players that would want their character to dual-wield are making a PC with 4D in Dexterity, the maximum 2D of starting skill dice in, say, the Blaster skill, and the specialization of their choice. That's a completely new PC with 7D in Blaster: heavy blaster pistol, or something similar.

What do you think about allowing players to spend 1D of starting skill dice to get ambidexterity? Treat it like a Special Ability, and it negates off-hand penalties.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Proper grip dictates two hands; using one just makes it harder.

Which is one of the reasons I've flip-flopped between pistols as "small" or "medium" size. (for "medium" weapons, even after the +1D, you've actually got a penalty until you really train to use them.)

Incidentally, I made the +1D bonus to hit with two weapons as an adaptation of the 2nd edition "blue book" (Not "revised and expanded") rule for coordinated actions with the Command skill- 2 characters working together get a +1D bonus to a single roll for their effort.

I think, like many things, this rule is a result of my particular group's preferences- that is to say, we've had more fun with rules that encourage dramatic action sequences at the expense of a small amount of realism.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
What do you think about allowing players to spend 1D of starting skill dice to get ambidexterity? Treat it like a Special Ability, and it negates off-hand penalties.

Hmmm, i like that - wrong idea for the tread tho. I dont like that if you put down ambidexterity down at chr creation you just are. it should cost Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:

This is something I've had mixed feelings on through the years. I still haven't come to a decision on how I feel about it Razz

DoubtBreak wrote:
Incidentally, I made the +1D bonus to hit with two weapons as an adaptation of the 2nd edition "blue book" (Not "revised and expanded") rule for coordinated actions with the Command skill- 2 characters working together get a +1D bonus to a single roll for their effort.

Difference being that the combined effort is a result of two+ beings focusing their efforts on a single task. Two weapon fighting, one mind is being split between two tasks that have a similar goal.

These are very different concepts.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:

As long as the character is directing both weapons' attacks at a single target, at least.

DoubtBreak wrote:
I think, like many things, this rule is a result of my particular group's preferences- that is to say, we've had more fun with rules that encourage dramatic action sequences at the expense of a small amount of realism.

And that's what's important...if it works for you in your games, for you and your players, without throwing out the balance, go for it. Not that you need my permission. Wink It's all about what's fun for you and yours.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Difference being that the combined effort is a result of two+ beings focusing their efforts on a single task. Two weapon fighting, one mind is being split between two tasks that have a similar goal.

These are very different concepts.

That depends entirely on how you think about paired-weapon fighting. (And, I suppose, on how strictly you interpret "one action" in a combat round.) In my mind, it's not a matter of making two attacks at once, but of making one attack that uses two weapons.

If I may use your words- these are very different concepts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: