The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - Starships of the Galaxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - Starships of the Galaxy Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're waiting for further feedback on the cargo pods, I'll push ahead and see if we can get comments on some other conversions. This one was a bit more loose since the direct stats don't make as much sense in D6.

Quote:

Cryogenic Chambers
Model: IntelStar ColdCarry Freeze Chamber.
Type: Starship Cryogenic Chamber.
Scale: Starfighter
Cost: 500 per metric ton of cryogenic chambers
Weight: 3 metric tons per metric ton of cryogenic chambers
Availability: 2
Game Notes: Cryogenic chambers allow for the transportation of livestock or of critically injured passengers. Any living being in a cryogenic chamber is kept in stasis or in safe hibernation. This modification carries the same cost and space with both Starfighter and Capital scale ships.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 48, 49)

cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the capital scale one seems represented in the text, however I can't look past the fact that no one has ever seemed to stat out the Millenium Falcon's landing claw, and I've not seen anything that suggests that it's standard on all ships. So, I went ahead and did a smaller one for starfighter scale vessels as well. Let me know if you think that it's too much a stretch to put them in the same category. The original flavor text is provided:

Quote:

Docking Clamp
Model: Corellian Engineering Landing Claw
Type: Starship docking/landing device
Cost: 800
Weight: 2 metric tons
Availability: 1
Game Notes: Docking clamps allow two ships to dock with one another in space. This may either facilitate the transfer of passengers. A significantly larger ship may move, maneuver, and travel through hyperspace with a smaller vessel camped to it. However, if a ship takes damage of Heavily Damaged or worse, the docking clamp will lose its hold and all ships are shaken loose.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 48 )
Quote:

Heavy Docking Clamp
Model: SoroSuub AutoLatch 9
Type: Starship docking device
Scale: Capital
Cost: 2,000
Weight: 25 metric tons
Game Notes: Docking clamps allow two ships to dock with one another in space. This may either facilitate the transfer of passengers. However, larger vessels may use them for makeshift starfighter launches. A significantly larger ship may move, maneuver, and travel through hyperspace with a smaller vessel camped to it. However, if a ship takes damage of Heavily Damaged or worse, docking clamps lose their hold and all ships are shaken loose.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (pages 48 )

Quote:

Docking Clamp
A docking clamp allows a starship to dock with other starships in space.
Normally, this accessory is used by passengers to move from shuttles
to larger ships, but larger vessels can use them as makeshift starfighter
launch. Once the clamp is in place, creatures can safely move between
the clamped ships. A starship can maneuver, fight, and even travel through hyperspace with ships of smaller size clamped to it. However, if a ship takes damage in excess of its damage threshold, all starships attached to it by docking clamps are shaken off.

Docking clamps on smaller ships aren't strong enough to do much more
than hold the ship in place during routine docking. These are built into the
cost of all starships and have no special game effect.

wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So do you think we should do a re-design from the ground up, or skip them entirely?

If it's the former, what kind of mechanic do you suggest?

Do what you want as our group gave up on it, just telling you some of the many problems we ran into with it, when we did it.

There are so many different pods, so many different ships with different type and capacity pods and so on already in the books that it just never ever came out to make any sense when tried to make a generic system for cargo pods.

After all you just used the "Colossal frigate" cost modifier catagory to make one set of cargo pods for all ships (starfighters, light freighters, container ships and capital ships-military ) when in fact each cost modifier size (there are six) has light, medium, and heavy pods of it's own with their own cargo rating.

Haven't seen any other books really touch on the Landing claw subject.

The landing claw according to the guide to the Star Wars Universe:
Quote:
Space vessels employ landing claws to attach themselves to most surfaces, regardless of their orientation.
Most landing claws use either magnetic or mechanical grips to adhere to a surface. They form a solid connection between a ship and another surface, a space dock, or another landing or parking surface.

It hints that the ships have them, but could read it in many ways really.
There's no way every hatch has them as you don't see any sign of a docking clamp on the Millenium Falcons upper hatch.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfe wrote:

After all you just used the "Colossal frigate" cost modifier catagory to make one set of cargo pods for all ships (starfighters, light freighters, container ships and capital ships-military ) when in fact each cost modifier size (there are six) has light, medium, and heavy pods of it's own with their own cargo rating.

It's reasons like this that I initially didn't try to convert any of the add-ons. Some of them are just a bit too screwey once you try to cram so many different scale modifiers into two different scale modifiers.

So, is anyone else giving suggestions on them?
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with that is your giving the small, fast maneuverable ships waaaay too much cargo carrying capacity, even more then many light cargo ships.
I'd never take any light frieghter again with those pods around.
Just trying to picture one 50 ton cargo capacity pod much less more on any of the small ships is another matter. Laughing

Last edited by wolfe on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see your point here. Both with the advantages it grants with very little in the way of disadvantages, the scattered examples in WEG, and in the fact that the price to cargo decision was fairly arbitrary.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have simple rules for cargo pods, so I'll post em.

Cargo Pods DOUBLE (add 1 ton minimum) a ship's original cargo capacity.

Cargo Pods subtract -1D from Maneuverabilty to a minimum of 0D.

Cargo Pods subtract -1 from space movement (adjust atmosphere accordingly)

Price is 15% of the ships original cost for permenantly attached Cargo Pods.

Cost is 30% of the ship's orginal cost for Detachable Cargo Pod.

(Note that some ships can Carry more in a cargo Pod, I consider this a design feature of those particular designs that DOES'T NOT APPLY to other ship types.)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those aren't bad rules.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still working on this Chesh? Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I've gotten to a point where there are a lot of things that don't convert easily or at all. I found myself getting frustrated and discouraged. It wasn't as fun or satisfying. So, I'm taking a few days off, and I'll be back in on it. I'll be no good to anyone if I'm burnt out, especially since we have Galaxy at War coming out soon. I've got a really busy work week planned out ahead of me and I'll be staring at a computer screen all day. So I'm probably going to head back into it at the beginning of next week.

Hopefully I'll be done with this before Gry and I get started with Galaxy at War.

I'm encouraged by your inquiry, though, and I appreciate it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal, wotc's stats on the hanger bays were crap. It just doesn't make sense on a freighter with the kind of numbers that they had. So the numbers are tweaked to try to fit what was established in Luke's Freighter in The Last Command. His cargo was cut down to almost nothing, and he had his consumables cut down from a month to a week. I'm also assuming that his cargo bay wasn't quite as hidden as what we see represented in SOTG.

Especially since I've done some tweaking with the numbers, I'd like comments.

Quote:

Hanger Bay
Model: Corellian Engineering VB-12 converted hanger
Type: Converted hanger space
Cost: 500
Weight: 115 metric tons per starfighter or shuttle
Game Notes: A converted hanger bay allows for a small craft to be carried and launched.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (page 50)

Hidden Hanger Bay
Model: Corellian Engineering VB-12 converted hanger
Type: Converted hanger space
Cost: 10,000
Weight: 150 metric tons per starfighter or shuttle
Game Notes: A converted hanger bay allows for a small craft to be carried and launched. A hidden hanger bay requires a Heroic roll to detect from outward observance or scans.

wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind the Ghtroc freighter he had in that book was modified to seperate into pieces (self destructed) when his X-wing "escaped", that really wan't a reuseable vessel.

I don't think it would really meet the criteria as a "hanger" in the sense you are intending, I think Jade's Shadow is more representative of what you are getting at.

They called that X-wing in freighter trick a "covert shroud" if I remember it correctly (It's been a while).
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another set where I've monkeyed with numbers a bit. Wizards has built in a system as to how to incorporate modifications with different scales. Since we only have two, I've had to do some extrapolations. I thought it would be best to include two separate conversions for the freighter and for larger ships.

Quote:

Medical Suite
Model: Mon Calamari VitalMax Med Bay
Type: On board basic medical bay
Cost: 3,000
Weight: 4 tons
Game Notes: Allows crew members to stabilize the condition of an injured character with an Easy first aid roll for wounded and incapacitated characters, and a Moderate first aid roll for mortally wounded characters. A medical suite has sufficient stocks to allow characters with (A) medicine to perform surgery on board. Medical Suites also contain sufficient medicines and stocks to keep the crew in good physical condition during long space flights.

Medical Suite
Model: Mon Calamari SolidBody Infirmary package
Type: On board medical bay
Cost: 60,000
Weight: 83 tons
Game Notes: Allows crew members to stabilize the condition of an injured character with an Easy first aid roll for wounded and incapacitated characters, and a Moderate first aid roll for mortally wounded characters. A medical suite has sufficient stocks to allow characters with (A) medicine to perform surgery on board. Medical Suites also contain sufficient medicines and stocks to keep the crew in good physical condition during long space flights. Included in the capital scale packages are 15 medical beds, and 3 bacta tanks. Larger capital ships may install multiple medical suite packages.

cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one folks!

I'm kind of bothered by this one, unfortunately it doesn't seem that the person who did the write-up for this really had any contact with the other material out there on slave circuits. My recollection from the Thrawn Trilogy was that slave circuits allowed a ship to be remote controlled. Say, if two ships wanted to do a coordinated lightspeed jump, or if they wanted a port authority to navigate them in, then that was an easy thing to hand over, and your ship could be automatically guided. Wookieepedia confirmed this for me. However, the write up says the following:

Quote:

Slave Circuitry
Slave circuitry reduces the number of crewmembers required to operate a
starship. This accessory is most commonly present in older capital ships,
which require tens of thousands of crew. Basic slave circuitry reduces the
crew requirements of a starship by 1/3. and advanced slave circuitry reduces it by 2/3. The crew requirement for a starship is never reduced to less than 1-only certain exceptional and custom-built slave circuits are capable of such a feat, such as those guiding the Kotono fleet. The crew quality of a starship that has slave circuits is still based on its remaining crew.

Recall Circuits: Available only for starships equipped with advanced
slave circuits, recall circuits allow a starship to be summoned by comlink
to the owner even when no one is aboard the ship. A ship piloted
by its recall circuits can only lift off, fly directly to the com link used to
summon it, and land at that location-it can take no other actions. The
crew quality of a ship under control of recall circuits is untrained (+0
check modifier), and anyone in the pilot's position can disable the recall
circuits as a swift action.

I'm thinking about changing things and converting them as remote, simple, advanced, and recall. The Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook has some interesting things to say about slave circuitry, and I think that creating a new category to do the basic things mentioned in Heir to the Empire and Wookieepedia is pretty well merited.

The basic and advanced would be more or less out of the book from SOTG. The remote would be a fan creation, and the recall circuit would remove the requirement for the advanced slave circuitry, as it's pretty obvious that the Lady Luck never had such advanced equipment on board.

What do you think?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I went ahead and did it anyway. If anyone has got problems I'll fix it later. At least I've got a base from which to work here.

I'll check on this for a couple of days, and if there's nothing that anyone spots, I'll send it off to Gry.

Quote:

Remote Slave Circuitry
Model: Ubbrikian Quickrig 6
Type: Starship slave circuitry
Cost: 700
Weight: 0 tons
Game Notes: Remote slave circuits allow a starship to be controlled remotely via comm. It allows a port authority to guide a ship into position. Alternatively, it allows two ships to make coordinated hyperspace jumps. There is a concern among some spacers that remote slave rigging will allow thieves to find the slave circuit command codes and steal a ship remotely.

Basic Slave Circuitry
Model: Ubbrikian Insta-Crew V-19
Type: Internal slave circuitry
Cost: 1,000
Weight: 3 tons
Game Notes: Internal slave circuits use massive internal computers to rig various starship operations into a set of large computerized hubs. Starship operations would be automated, and thus reducing the crew size by 1/3 (minimum 1).

Basic Slave Circuitry
Model: Ubbrikian Insta-Crew V-19
Cost: 20,000
Weight: 60 tons
Game Notes: Internal slave circuits use massive internal computers to rig various starship operations into a set of large computerized hubs. Starship operations would be automated, and thus reducing the crew size by 1/3.

Advanced Slave Circuitry
Model: Iliddian Industries Darkwing 8B
Cost: 4,000
Weight: 5 tons
Availability: 3
Game Notes: Internal slave circuits use massive internal computers to rig various starship operations into a set of large computerized hubs. Starship operations would be automated, and thus reducing the crew size by 2/3 (minimum 1).
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (page 50-51)

Advanced Slave Circuitry
Model: Rendili Stardrive Bt-231 Slave system
Cost: 80,000
Weight: 80 tons
Availability: 3
Game Notes: Internal slave circuits use massive internal computers to rig various starship operations into a set of large computerized hubs. Starship operations would be automated, and thus reducing the crew size by 2/3.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (page 50-51)

Recall Slave Circuitry
Model: Starfire Inc. Caller 82c Slave Circuit
Type: Slave homing circuit
Cost: 4,000
Weight: 0 tons
Game Notes: Any starship with any slave circuitry can also have a recall slave circuit installed separately. This device allows the owner to use a com signal to call a starship to the character’s current location (limited to the range of the com device being used to transmit the signal). The starship can only take off, perform simple maneuvers to the location, and land. Anyone in the pilot’s station can disable the recall circuits.
Source: Starships of the Galaxy (page 51)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: