The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[Rebel Uprisings] Episode III, Shadows of the Future
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Inactive Games Overview -> [Rebel Uprisings] Episode III, Shadows of the Future Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 109, 110, 111  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Copy that, Cyn. Go help Toba. Christopher? How are those droids progressing out side?"

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher scratched his head and said, "Well uh... Cal's the one with the data, but sense their rocket launcher blew up those droids will probably spend a minute or two trying to recover. If you guys left any heavy weapons on your ship the droids probably have them by now. So once they figure out how they work they'll probably try to rig those up. If they don't have anything heavier than the rockets though their next step will be to either get a new rocket launcher. Failing that, they'll probably try to rig their remaining rockets into bombs and try to place them directly at the weakest points of the door. Maybe even try rigging a bunch together to make a bigger boom."
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyn joins Toba in the hangar, and the pair get to work on replacing many of the disintegrated seals and damaged parts. Max works at sealing up the hull by welding whatever it can find that works as plating. From the look of things, it will likely take two days to get the ship up and running, not at peak performance, but stable enough for space travel.

Cal and Christopher make their way to the library, where Dev stands waiting just outside the door. It is a small chamber, approximately twenty meters in length and width with several shelves along each wall, and several more taking up space in the middle of the floor. Each row of shelves holds several ancient-looking tomes, and data cards. Cal gets an uneasy feeling as they enter the room, one that sinks deep into his stomach, and begins to churn what little contents he has in it.

Bandon shuffles back from the storage room with a handful of rations.

"Captain, these are the supplies we have discovered. They are not very appealing, but they should keep us from starving to death."

After handing a packet to Qassar, he puts on a rather pleading look, "Captain, it has been some time since I mentioned this, but my sabers, I really must have them near me. I know that your mechanic hid them from me somewhere on the ship, and now we no longer have access to it. I must get those sabers. It is imperative that I be allowed to retrieve them."
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher took a few more steps in and takes a look back at Cal.

"Now's not a good time to get sick you know. You haven't even tried the fine cuisine yet!"
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Qassar

"Captain at best we can cobble the derelict into sufficient working order to depart in 2 standard cycles, but to be realistic it may be more like 3. I would recommend all capable personnel assist Toba and I as soon as the valuable are moved down here. This Derelict looks as if it has been scavanged by Jawas or worse."

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal keys his comlink so that only Qassar and Zerran can hear him. "Uh, sir?" he says, his discomfiture evident in his voice. "I am detecting something that is giving me a very bad feeling in here. I mean it's bad enough to be making me almost physically sick. I'll keep you updated as I find out more."

He cuts his connection to Qassar and speaks directly to Zerran and Christopher. "Zerran, we're going to HAVE to find a way to get your opticals in front of the stuff in here. I don't know what specifically is causing it, but I have a BAAAAAD feeling about this. Christopher?" he says, turning to look at him. "I need to know absolutely EVERYTHING you know about this library. Anything you've been told, anything you've discovered. Even any feelings you have whenever you come in here. Leave no detail out."

Cal leaves his comlink open to Zerran, hoping the droid might be able to advise him. As Christopher begins to answer, Cal takes several calming breaths, then begins to probe the room with his Sense to see what might be specifically causing his discomfiture.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zerran thinks to himself for a moment, and wonders what he should do. Cal's news is most upsetting... it leads him to believe that those books are something evil indeed. He decides to risk opening himself to the Force. He allows the Force to flow through him, which triggers a pang of sadness as the force only flows through what is left of him. He pushes those thoughts aside as he reaches out with the force, expanding his awareness to the building around him. He reaches out in Cal's direction sensing to ascertain the ambient force in this place.

ooc: Sense Force. if he gets nothing concentration + sense force.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't know where to start exactly," Christopher replies hesitantly, "there just so much discuss. Hold on a second."

Christopher walks off to a corner and emerges a few seconds later with some left over boxes that used to house rations that pulled out of a corner, "I don't think we have time for me to tell you what I know, and then get to work. So, lets get to work on loading up as much of the Library as we can while I explain what I know. If we don't get started on it now we might loose our opportunity to save any of it. Don't worry though, I can talk and work at the same time."

He immediately sets to work on packing up. In a way though the process is relaxing to him, taking him back to the days as a freight loader. "I'll start at the beginning. The ship I worked for, my old captain was a paranoid man. He was absolutely convinced that the Separatists would eventually resort to piracy as a means to help fund their invasion. So he outfitted all of us with Ion Pistols, to fight the droids. Most of us argued that if he wanted us prepared to face pirates than he'd better outfit us with real blasters than these droid guns, but he insisted, sure that droids where going to be our biggest threat."

We eventually ended up here. I'm pretty sure, the captain believed we arrived here as the result of some hair brained conspiracy, but I never got a chance to ask him about it for sure. I have come to think it was a matter of fate that lead us here. We crashed not to far from where your ship did. In fact, it was practically the same place. I was the only one who survived the crash. So, my first instinct, after I found out was the only one alive, was to what resources I could and get out of ship. Its a good thing I did too. The droids had nearly encircled the ship, just like they did this time.

I ran in this direction, the only one the droids hadn't cut off yet, and I ran towards the nearest building I could see, which was this bunker. It was just sitting here, waiting undisturbed for thousands of years, on a planet full of droids that rip apart everything they get, that would rip this place apart in minutes if they even knew the doors still worked. It was all just sitting here, unlocked, and ready for me to live in, for thousands of years, completely undisturbed by anything. Waiting for me, just for me."

He pauses for a moment before he continues, "If the others had survived also we'd have starved to death in this bunker a long time before you got here. It was just enough for me, which is why I was the only one who survived. Just like I have this pistol here to defend myself against those droids, and this sword to hack em up!"

"I had a weird feeling the first time I came in this Library, I'm not sure how much of it was just my nerves. Before I ever paid any attention to anything else that was in here I was looking for anything that could help me survive in this place. This old sword I've got strapped to me came from this room, and was the first thing I took out of here. From what I've been able to find out about it, I'm pretty sure it can stand up to a lightsaber, but I have never been able to test that."

"At first, I was mostly concerned about my own survival than this Library. The Library became important after boredom set in. I should think that being alone in a foreign land full of bloodthirsty killer droids would drive anyone towards insanity, especially if they had nothing to do with their time. That was the point that the Library became important.

The problem was understanding the words in the books. Don't even bother with the weird language. The ones in basic are hard enough to understand just by themselves! It was like trying understand a Wookie without any explanation of the mechanics of their language before listening to it! To the untrained, and unfamiliar ear, 'Waaruawu'", Chirstopher says giving his best impersonation of Wookieespeak, "may sound threatening, like grunting and howling and growling. But when you hear it enough times, in context of different things around you, and in the midst of the other sounds they make. You begin to understand what it means.

"That is how I began to learn the things in these texts. When I began to sound it out loud to myself, I could eventually pick up on certain words. Words that over thousands of years that we'd fused together to mean other words. Words that we've changed the spelling of, but still sound similar. Once you understand a few words you can put them together in the contexts of other sounds and figure out the context of what your reading. You can tell when something is instructional, when something calls you to action.

"The feeling one I get here, probably the one you just felt. If I had to describe it as an emotion I would call it the sensation of an impending destiny. The feeling of making one wrong move being the difference between victory and utter doom. The feeling that everything around you lies on your next decision.

"For a long time I studied, but my lack of understanding kept me from moving further. The Force is a complicated thing to teach yourself, especially when your best instruction manual is this difficult to understand. It took me a long time, but eventually, I had a break through. That break through came from understanding how my emotions effected the force. Once I began to understand that I things started to click into place.

"That is what you are really feeling in here. The sickness in your stomach, the feelings of unease, the quickening of your pulse, the urgency. What you are feeling is an emotion that reverberates through this room, threw the course of thousands of years continuing on until today. It was left here for us, just like everything else that's happened. All left for us for a reason. It was left here for us, as a message for us, to motivate us to fulfill our destinies. This Library is Fate, staring us in the face, beckoning to us to fulfill it's will. That's what it is."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal stands watching Christopher as he describes his time here, and his knowledge of the library. He looks at the sword Christopher indicated. He'd learned some things about old Force traditions from his Master...but those lessons had been so long ago. An uneasy feeling continued to nag at Cal as he listened intently.

As Christopher finished explaining what he knew, Cal said, "Well, I can see you're an intelligent guy, having started learning this stuff on your own." As he speaks, Cal opens himself up to the Force, searching for guidance. "We'd better start loading this stuff up. I'd imagine that, with the time we'll have until we'll be able to take off, we should have ample time to get all the materials out of here we want. However," he says, the word sounding stern, "before we just start carting this stuff off, let me have a few moments to see what I can detect." He looks Christopher square in the eyes, a very serious look painfully obvious. "Because you're self-taught, I have to go on the assumption that you don't know much about the Jedi way versus the teachings of the Sith." Cal gestures around himself, taking in the entire library. "That sick feeling is quite likely because there are Sith materials here...Sith, or some other dark side tradition." Pointing at Christopher's sword he adds, "Perhaps even your sword may have been created using dark side techniques. If that's the case, you could be in grave danger simply having it in your possession.

"I don't mean to alarm you," he says quickly, holding his palms facing out to forestall any arguments or questions. "I could be off-base. I'm only a Padawan myself, and there is a great deal more about the Force I have yet to learn. But I know enough to know we must be cautious with this material."

He takes a deep, calming breath and continues. "Give me a few moments to see what insight I can gather; I'm hoping the Force will guide me in what is safe to take and what is not. Either way, I'd like to secure it all. The safe materials will be invaluable for study. The dangerous items...well, let's just say I'm fairly certain it'd be far safer to destroy them than to leave them for someone else to discover. I know you're far behind on current events, but when we get you up to speed you'll see just how dark a place the galaxy has become. I'd just as soon not contribute to snuffing out any more light than has already been extinguished."
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No offense," he began, "I'm not a Jedi after all, but isn't a Sith basically just an evil Jedi? I mean if the Sith have special abilities that Jedi don't typically have wouldn't it be in our best interests to learn what we can of them?

"Its like encountering a new type of battle droid on the battle field that kills several of your men. Say you manage to capture one. The first thing your going to do to the captured unit is probably ship it off to engineer and have them completely dismantle and inspect every piece to figure out how it works and what it's weaknesses are, so that the next time you encounter one you know how to take it down without loosing so many men."

"I would imagine that for the Jedi to become Outlaws after all these years of defending the republic a Sith might have had something to do with it. If that's the case and there is Sith knowledge locked away in here, then this its just like our captured droid."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal's eyes widen as he listens. "It most certainly would NOT be in our best interests!" He takes a calming breath, then continues. "Sith teachings are of the dark side of the Force. If you follow them, they will ensnare you and eventually you'll be unable to free yourself from their influence! It's completely different than war droids. You can reverse-engineer a bit of technology without becoming intrinsically enmeshed with it. The dark side, however, works its tendrils deep into your very being until it's practically impossible to remove it."

He places a compassionate hand on Christopher's shoulder. "Please believe me, if there is actual Sith knowledge in here, WE MUST DESTROY IT! Palpatine and Vader will undoubtedly learn of its existence, if they don't know of it already, and will seek it out. We CAN'T leave it here for them to find. And," he adds, a serious tone taking over the earnest one he'd just been using, "it is MUCH too dangerous to try to learn anything the Sith have to teach. It will change you--not for the better--and leave you permanently damaged."
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intercom crackles for a few seconds before it manages to create sounds resembling speach.

"The mechannibles do not appear to posses a hive mind. Rather they seem to be continually receiving instructions, possibly from multiple sources.

We are unable to usurp control of the mechannibles because they are using a programming language and operating system we have never encountered.

We can capture the instructions being sent to the mechannibles and then attempt to gain an understanding of the language used. Any crew members unable to aid with existing tasks may be able to help.

It is also possible that captured mechannibles can have their programming wiped entirely and a new operating system installed this would give us direct control and given time we could build up a number of expendable troops.

We are aware of the crew’s misgivings around the concept of us controlling an army of droids so we would like your feedback before we attempted either course of action."

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal hits his comlink. "Captain, you already know MY vote. And, since I'm kinda in the same boat as our AI, meaning no one trusts what I'm trying to do, I'd be willing to help analyze the programming, and I'll keep you updated on all our progress. If you want us to try that, that is. It's your call, of course."
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Zerran opens up his mind to the Force, he is almost knocked to the ground by the overwhelming presence of the dark side surrounding him. Pushing through the murky darkness, he probes his surroundings and sees some flickering of the light side, Cal and Bandon, and an almost imperceptible glow from their new friend Christopher. Focusing on Cal's position, he senses such an encroaching darkness that it nearly overloads his connection to his own mechanical body.

Cal reaches out to the Force, and staggers a bit from the heaviness of the dark side around him. Almost all of the texts around him resonate a certain degree of the dark side, but one in particular feels obsessively evil to his mind. Opening his eyes, he sees the text in question sitting on a shelf of its own on the back wall of the compartment.

Bandon pauses as Qassar receives his transmission from Cal, then repeats his question.

"Captain, my light sabers, I must insist that I be allowed to attempt to retrieve them."
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zerran shuts himself down from the Force once more, then re-asserts his control over his body once more. He says "Do we have something to destroy this place for sure?" then keys his com to Cal only "Cal, those books are evil, pure evil. They must be destroyed."

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Inactive Games Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 109, 110, 111  Next
Page 110 of 111

Jump to: