The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can Yoda Fly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Can Yoda Fly? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can Jedi (of sufficient power) fly?
Yes (obviously)
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
No but the Force might allow members of some traditions to do so
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Never (Force Jump is the best on offer)
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Can Yoda Fly? Reply with quote

Can a Jedi use the Force to actually fly?

I have run into this question several times over the years. In the films and most of the comics/books etc. that I have read the Jedi seem to be limited to long jumps or extraordinary acrobatics. They do not seem to be able to fly as such.

When I was using the original WEG rules I had a player who insisted on using telekinesis to fly around the room. I hated it. I felt that it didn't feel appropriate for Star Wars. When I revised the rules I made sure that telekinesis could not do this.

Recently, I have noticed that some of the d20 material does allow a Jedi to fly (albiet not very well) but this seems restricted to some non-Jedi force traditions. I am considering writing a power for my modified rules that would allow flight but I wanted to know what you all thought first.

Should this be a power the Force allows? If so, is it something a Jedi should be able to learn given sufficient time or is it something that only a few rare and unusual traditions allow? How good should this be?

What do you all think? Confused
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, i remember somewhere it saying that the jedi have to be anchored somewhere to use tk (standing on the ground). so one jedi would be able to allow another to "fly" porly.

now i think there was an ability that allowed the jedi to do something similar to gliding, to slow their fall from great heights.

cant remember where i saw that though...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda uses the Force to move planets, while he stays still, thus giving the illusion of flying. Razz
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, that sounds like futuramma Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that Luke "flies" up a shaft in one of the books... well, levitates... but I could be mistaken. (With a little googling I think it may have been in Children of the Jedi).

I'm not sure I'd allow it as a telekinesis ability or not... maybe. But, I'd certainly give it a VD to Heroic difficulty... and it wouldn't be very fast or maneuverable.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, IIRC, they can't use TK on themselves to FLY... flying being basically faster movement..

They CAN use it to levitate themselves...

My distinction between the two is that FLIGHT is more horizontal movement, while LEVITATION is more or less vertical movement, with horizontal being very slow ....

just my basic interpretation..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I seem to recall that Luke "flies" up a shaft in one of the books... well, levitates... but I could be mistaken. (With a little googling I think it may have been in Children of the Jedi).

Ug... yes. It was in that wretched book. Sorry. I don't take much of what that books says seriously. But on to the subject at hand...

The WEG power says that the Jedi can use it to levitate himself/herself. I personally wouldn't let that go in my game. If a player really pressed it, I might let them do simple single direct levitation. Fly around the room? No. If you want to do that, go play DC Heros.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Ug... yes. It was in that wretched book. Sorry. I don't take much of what that books says seriously. But on to the subject at hand...

The WEG power says that the Jedi can use it to levitate himself/herself. I personally wouldn't let that go in my game. If a player really pressed it, I might let them do simple single direct levitation. Fly around the room? No. If you want to do that, go play DC Heros.

Yeah, I haven't read the book (or any of the ones involving Callista actually), I think I read that in one of the character guides or something.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what we appear to be saying is that levitation should be on offer but it should allow only vertical movement or extremely poor horizontal movement. I know that this is in the books - Joruus and Luke use it although I have always wondered what the use of such a power would be. Would this be control and alter then?

For those of you familiar with the Force skills I use any suggestions what control skill would be appropriate (control mind, healing, precision etc.)? Thanks everyone.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with a jedi pc, wantin to use TK to levitate.. it is at half walk speed up or down, and while concentrating on it, they are taking a d of any other skill use (though i wonder if they could dodg while levitating).. As to flying, i COULD see a new skill getting developed for this, requing many prerequisits (danger sense, weather sense to know what the wind is like, tk, and maybe some more), with a diff of 15+tk, for flying at walk speed... 20+tk for flying at running speed, 30+tk for going at a sprint speed...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have never had a problem with a jedi pc, wantin to use TK to levitate.. it is at half walk speed up or down, and while concentrating on it, they are taking a d of any other skill use (though i wonder if they could dodg while levitating).. As to flying, i COULD see a new skill getting developed for this, requing many prerequisits (danger sense, weather sense to know what the wind is like, tk, and maybe some more), with a diff of 15+tk, for flying at walk speed... 20+tk for flying at running speed, 30+tk for going at a sprint speed...

Modified by gravity Wink
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

I'm not sure I'd allow it as a telekinesis ability or not... maybe. But, I'd certainly give it a VD to Heroic difficulty... and it wouldn't be very fast or maneuverable.

Actually, he used a levitating ability on both himself and Artoo to be able to land on the ground after his X-wing was shot down in CotJ, if I recall correctly. It's been a number of years since I read the book, But I seem to remember Prince Isolder looking over to see Luke and Artoo gently floating down without any saftey gear, and Luke was sitting crosslegged.

I don't think that a Jedi, unless they come from a species capable of doing so, can actually fly. It's more using certain Force powers in combination first to get up into the air, then to slow decent.

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. Like I said, I never read the book, but came across the reference in something like a character guide, so I'm sure my details are wrong Smile
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi can't fly. They can cause others to fly, however, by way of Telekinetic Wedgie!
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:

Actually, he used a levitating ability on both himself and Artoo to be able to land on the ground after his X-wing was shot down in CotJ, if I recall correctly. .

Well, it DOES say in the R&E that TK can be used as a primitive star drive...

But, again, he's not really flying, per se... he's more like setting it down - like we would pick up a CD and set it down....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: