The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Using the Force Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CmdrDarmic
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Using the Force Reply with quote

So, how do you handle the Force in your game?

The groups I have played in have used a decidedly cinematic approach. What I mean by that is, we allowed Force powers to be used as a reaction to someone else's actions. For example: a stormtrooper shoots at the Jedi, and the Jedi rolls against absorb/dissapate energy power to avoid the damage.

If I understand the 'rules as written', this is not how things work. In the example given, the Jedi would only get to roll against his power if he had that power 'up' at the time he was struck by the blaster bolt.

So, how do you handle Force use? I am of the opinion that the cinematic option is the way to go. This is Star Wars, after all. What do you think?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a mixture of the rules as written and your cinematic style... as appropriate to the situation. For the most part, it's rules as written (or house rules as written), but there are situations where a reactive use could come into play; for example, I'll use the trooper shooting the Jedi you gave, if the Jedi knows the attack is coming and it would make sense in terms of initiative, I'd allow a reactive Control/Absorb Energy or something; if the Jedi was not aware of the incoming attack and/or they'd already messed themselves up for actions in initiative, they would probably be taken by surprise and not get the reflexive action.

Generally the story is more important than the mechanic in our games... but that's tempered with a healthy respect for the mechanic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Ab/Dis skill can be used as a reaction, to somehting going on. It's only when using it for absorbing things like solar radiation etc, you 'keep it up'.

Let me look tomorrow for the rule on it..
CmdrDarmic
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that was a poor example, but you get the idea. In general, do you allow Force powers to be used as a reaction?

The second part of the question is this: When activating (and maintaining) a Force power that uses more than one of control, sense and alter, do you count it as a single skill use, or do you count it as multiple actions? We have used the rule that, no matter how many Force abilities are involved (and how many die rolls are made), it is a single action to activate (and to maintain), say, affect mind (or any other multiple Force ability powers).

This has worked well for us in the past, but I would like to hear what others have experienced/think.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official rule is multiple uses. We initially did it that way, but switched to single use years back.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We handle the Force pretty much by the book. The only addition are some fan-made powers.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
The official rule is multiple uses. We initially did it that way, but switched to single use years back.

Agreed that it is btb to count all skills for Force powers being kept up, but as a question, why did you switch to single 'd' off regardless of whether it was a single, double or triple force skill??
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly due to laziness. But also, perhaps, because our Jedi were always so low level that to do otherwise generally meant that they were either very weak (Force would generally fail), or would probably die due to MAPs (Or taking too many rounds to even prepare).

Last edited by Ankhanu on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally do a more "cinematic" sort of running of the Force. One "action" even if it uses Control, Sense and Alter to activate the power, and some powers I allow the player to roll for if they think of it in time. Basically, I do what seems to best capture the feel and tempo of the movies when it comes to the Force.
CmdrDarmic
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made the change based on the previously mentioned affect mind power. This power is generally one that needs to be used quickly. I mean, how much time does OB1 have to prepare to use the power all of those times we see him use it? Usually he needs to use it right now, and taking three rounds to ramp up the power just is not feasable.

Also, all that preparing to do stuff just is not very cinematic, as Grimace pointed out. It is more in keeping with the style of game I personally enjoy to keep things a little 'looser and easier', as one friend put it.

Granted, that is only one way to play the game, and ymmv. As always, it is whatever makes the game more enjoyable for you and your fellow players.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
But also, perhaps, because our Jedi were always so low level that to do otherwise generally meant that they were either very weak (Force would generally fail), or would probably die due to MAPs (Or taking too many rounds to even prepare).

Is that not the 'quandry' of any low level (skill dice) character... Where your skill is so low you could not try lots of stuff, unless it was easy, due to maps etc..

As to me, it is one action per skill needed to activate the power. So a jedi MIGHT get "interrupted" bringing up LS combat, if he gets incaped after bringing up the first skill..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is, but, in our games anyway, the Jedi were almost always seriously gimped compared to the other equally leveled characters, this balanced things out a little bit and, more importantly, kept the game moving along. I kind of find separating slows the action down somewhat.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CmdrDarmic wrote:
We made the change based on the previously mentioned affect mind power. This power is generally one that needs to be used quickly. I mean, how much time does OB1 have to prepare to use the power all of those times we see him use it? Usually he needs to use it right now, and taking three rounds to ramp up the power just is not feasable.

I disagree that OB1 didn't know ahead of time that he was going to use Affect Mind. The 2 uses I can think of, in Mos Eisely on the Stormtroopers and on the Death Star tractor beam catwalk, he had ample time to prepare. Luke probly saw the Stormtrooper blockade a long way off, and OB1 probly knew he might have to use AM to get past some imps on the Death Star and had it prepared.

But the real clincher is this: remember that in SWRE:2E one "round" is any amount of time that you feel is apropriate as the GM. It says right in the rule book that you should take artistic license with exactly how long one round is. So, maybe you're bringin up all three skills in 3 consecutive 1 second long rounds!

As for the OP's topic, I use a different method depending on what timeline the game is in. for GCW time, I want the life of a Jedi wannabe to be really tough. No trainers, no holocrons, no silly stuff. The Jedi are gone. Yoda, Ben, and eventually Luke, that's it. So a Jedi PC in the GCW timeline has to use one action for each skill. But in a game set during prequal times, I'd allow a "one die" method, due to the more prolific natuer of Force knowledge, and the more prolific nature of Force using enemies.

Scott
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:

As for the OP's topic, I use a different method depending on what timeline the game is in. for GCW time, I want the life of a Jedi wannabe to be really tough. No trainers, no holocrons, no silly stuff. The Jedi are gone. Yoda, Ben, and eventually Luke, that's it. So a Jedi PC in the GCW timeline has to use one action for each skill. But in a game set during prequal times, I'd allow a "one die" method, due to the more prolific natuer of Force knowledge, and the more prolific nature of Force using enemies.

Scott

Interesting idea, I like it.
CmdrDarmic
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I disagree that OB1 didn't know ahead of time that he was going to use Affect Mind. The 2 uses I can think of, in Mos Eisely on the Stormtroopers and on the Death Star tractor beam catwalk, he had ample time to prepare. Luke probly saw the Stormtrooper blockade a long way off, and OB1 probly knew he might have to use AM to get past some imps on the Death Star and had it prepared.

Granted, he may have seen the first one coming, but he uses the power four times in rapid succession with no chance to use the slow-but-sure, one-skill-per-round method on the follow-up uses. Then again OB1 probably has enough skill dice not to worry about a few MAPs.Laughing

scott2978 wrote:
But the real clincher is this: remember that in SWRE:2E one "round" is any amount of time that you feel is apropriate as the GM. It says right in the rule book that you should take artistic license with exactly how long one round is. So, maybe you're bringin up all three skills in 3 consecutive 1 second long rounds!

Which is, in effect, what we are doing by allowing all of the skills to be used in a single round with no MAPs. The mechanics are different, but the effect is identical.

scott2978 wrote:
I use a different method depending on what timeline the game is in. for GCW time, I want the life of a Jedi wannabe to be really tough. No trainers, no holocrons, no silly stuff. The Jedi are gone. Yoda, Ben, and eventually Luke, that's it. So a Jedi PC in the GCW timeline has to use one action for each skill. But in a game set during prequal times, I'd allow a "one die" method, due to the more prolific natuer of Force knowledge, and the more prolific nature of Force using enemies.

An interesting approach, but tell me: Has the Force changed during this time frame? As the Force is constant, it must be the Force users that are the source of the difficulties. Will the Force users always suffer this penalty, or will there come a time when they are more familiar/comfortable with the Force and can begin using it in the more familiar/comfortable way?

Don't get me wrong, the approach is valid and I like it. I just wonder what the overall justification is and what kind of mechanics you are using to represent the changes.

BTW, what does GCW stand for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: