The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wounded twice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Wounded twice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who uses the double wounded status on the revised edition? And what do you think about it vs. the single wounded status.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that you could be really hurt, but conscious enough to get the hell out of the fire and far away from the frying pan.

I never tried the earlier versions of the game.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that all the time to show that the caracter is so hurt that they are about to die but they can still know who saves them (or whether a person doesn't bother). Sometimes I also do enough damage to kill the character, but they are still alive and consious, that way they can know what hit them.
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new wounded twice rule in the Revised and Expanded Edition. It's a bit easier on the characters by letting them take more damage. I think it's also more realistic because soldiers often suffer more than one wound and live to tell about it.

NOTE: The old Second Edition rules didn't have wounded twice. If a wounded character was wounded again, they became incapacitated.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, just being wounded twice has ended up saving a lot of the characters in my urban war game, but i've also seen it screw over some players many times before Smile
but if it were only good, then it wouldn't be balanced enough to be a good rule Smile Very Happy

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall for me it's worked pretty good. I think it does give it a bit more of a chance for a strong character to survive while a small fry that gets wounded too easy suffers from.....bad genes? Smile
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question doesn't have much about being wounded twice, but simply being wounded at all. Maybe I missed it, but in the rule book for 2nd edition, ( I don't have the revised and expanded version), for the stun result, the damage is 0 to 3 points in range. Am I missing something, or if it does no damage, then why does it stun the person. And what if they are wearing armor? Does it still stun them even though it did no damage? Is that rule there just so there always a chance of stunning a person?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in our games if they person soaks all the damage (takes 0) then we don't call it stunned... we just say the blast rolled off him... or he narrowly avoided what could have been a lethal blast... I think the 0 damage for a -1D to everything for 2 rounds is crappy... It's all GM's discretion

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the rule for twice wounded keeps the mortality rate of the game down, which I like. I'm not one for killing off PC's, unless they do something stupid Twisted Evil With weapons that can deal out a pretty good amount of damage, and most PC's not having a very high strength, I feel that the mortality rate of Star Wars is pretty high when compaired with some other RPG's. I mean, even the standard 5D damage for a storm trooper rifle is pretty high, when humans can't have more then 4D in strength. This makes armor almost essential! And as a GM, and as a player, I hate killing off characters. So I feel that twice wounded is a great thing.

Now for the stun rules, like Crell, I've often debated about the 0-3 damage is a stun. 0 points of damage is a tricky one. If your armor eats most of the blaster bolt, you shouldn't have any ill effects, but then no one should be able to take a blaster bolt and just shrug it off. I guess I'm still up in the air about it. I'll probably stick with the original rules for now.

Well thats my two cents worth Very Happy

~ phaedrus
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waves hand in air Shocked Very Happy Sad 8)

As for The damage chart... it still goes wounded - incap - mortal wounded. It is just with this level there, you can get 2 wounded results. As to the stun/wound combination, i would say it DOES combine.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of multiple wounds, and have actually expanded it for my games. I allow a character to sustain a number of wounds equal to STRENGTH before passing out from trauma and shock. For most characters this is 2 or 3 wounds. This applies to NPCs as well. It creates slightly more of the action movie feel I like, and yes, the wound penalties are cumulative.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does that not make comabt more 'easier'?? Also, does your damage chart (from getting hit) still go stun/wound/incap/MW?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But does that not make comabt more 'easier'?? Also, does your damage chart (from getting hit) still go stun/wound/incap/MW?

It does and does not make it easier at the same time. It allows for bigger and stronger characters and aliens to withstand slightly more punishment from lesser wounds, but then each wound still incurs a -1D wound penalty, so I feel that counterbalances to some extent. I justify this with the Star Wars definition of a wound being rather vague, and could range from lacerations to broken bones. So far, my players like this, and it does apply to NPCs as well, so that also balances.

Yes, I still have the damage scale go from Stun to Wound to Incapacitate to Mortal Wound to Kill. So the higher results will result in heavier wounds. I use the First edition/Rules Companion for wounding scale and stun rules. Even with those we still see a fair number of incapacitates and mortal wounds even on strong characters.

On an Incapacitate, I use the rules in the new D6 system, where a character can attempt to remain concious with a moderate Stamina roll (remember wound penalties). If successful, movement is at half rate, and the character suffers a -3D (in addition to other wound penalties) to all actions. This also applies to NPCs. Basically, even if successful, it only allows a character to crawl away slowly to die, as generally all other skills are innefective by now.

I do it this way to lend to a much more action-oriented and heroic campaign. Even so, player death happens.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fare enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: