The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is combat deadly enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Is combat deadly enough?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Is combat deadly enough? Reply with quote

This has probly been discussed at least once here, but it was so long ago that opinions may have changed.

The way I see it, barring the expenditure of character or force points, the average PC has 3D Strength and the average blaster does 4D damage. That's 1D over and above the Strength roll, which on average will yield 3 points of damage, which equates to "stunned". In the movies blasters are show to be excessively deadly - there are like 2 cases in all 6 movies of anyone being merely "wounded" by a blaster hit out of dozens of blaster hits. And if any of those hit people were really still alive, the movies make zero effort to show that anyone can survive a blaster. Notice any Stormtrooper medics?

So, is blaster combat deadly enough?

I know, I read in the SWRPG:RE that you can spend 2 CP's on blaster the book says that's an evil act, and besides most lowbie trooper enemy NPCs don't have any. So why does the rule book say that "Combat is deadly!" ???

Scott
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find that it is deadly.

First, you say you never see stormtrooper medics. that is because the empire doesnt care enough about its troopers to heal them. also, you dont need a medic, you just drag them to a bacta tank and dunk em in if you want to save them.

Second. Strength of 4D is higher then average, 3D is the average i would think. average blaster is 5D that puts it 2D above (average 6). SO every time you get hit you get wounded. and if you are wounded and get wounded again, you get wounded twice, then incapicatated, and so on. so you see how one shot is ok, youll live, but you get more its gonna start to add up. and you will have -D to all you skills, including strength, so the frist tiem you get wounded they have +3D over you which would be average 9 over you. and now your unconcious, and considered wounded twice, thats -2d. now they have 4D over you which brings you to on average 12 over, which is still in teh incapacitaed range, but that would bring you to mortally wounded.

So, basically it shows that you can survive the first shot, but the second will probably bring you down to the ground, and will be finished off shortly there after. if you see in the movies the good guys get hit once in a combat, they hurt, but keep going. you dont see them get hit a second time Wink

thats my 2 cents worth

ps, add in a repeating blaster of 6D damage, and your talking serious pain!

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the leathality rules from Rules of Engagement. This tends to make things a bit deadlier.
Effex Seven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
...and you will have -D to all you skills, including strength

One of the game designers has said that wound penalties don't apply to STR rolls to resist damage. I think it was in one of the Star Wars Adventure Journals.

Edit: Found this in another thread:

Entropy wrote:
"A character always rolls his or her full strength to resist damage (even if wounded), although disease and other circumstances may reduce a character's strength dice." It's on page 80, 6th bullet point under free actions. You don't need a house rule for this.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that it also says in the 2nd edition R&E rulebook that you always roll your full STR dice to resist damage.

I disagree that the average blaster does 5D damage. A hold out blaster is listed as doing like 3D depending on where you see it, and a blaster carbine or heavy blaster pistol does 5D. So I would put the average everyday non-heavy blaster at 4D.

And about stormtrooper medics, not every wound can be healed by a bacta tank. Lost limbs can't be re-attached with a bacta tank. A person with their guts hanging out their belly can't just dive into a bacta tank. So does the Empire spend millions of credits and years of time recruiting and training stormtroopers just to leave them to die at the slightest injury? Probably not. Unless there are no slight injuries. That's why I think there are no stormtrooper medics, because nobody ever survives a direct hit.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I disagree that the average blaster does 5D damage. A hold out blaster is listed as doing like 3D depending on where you see it, and a blaster carbine or heavy blaster pistol does 5D. So I would put the average everyday non-heavy blaster at 4D.

Isn't that the way it is??
ie. Blaster pistols are generally 4D, some lower, some a little higher. I would daresay that they're the most common form of blaster carried (rifles, carbines, etc are a little big for most and usually somewhat more restricted)... that would make most blasters encountered with an average damage of 4D.

As for combat being deadly, yeah, I'd say it's deadly enough. For most people getting hit in combat equals taking an injury of some sort. Most people are at 2D to resist... perhaps most characters might be at 3D. Average blaster damage is 4D (as per above); that leaves them taking 1-2D above their strength in damage, with random chance variance... it usually equals a wound or so. Take a couple hits and you're out.

Of course, if you're never hit, no, it's not very deadly Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

As for combat being deadly, yeah, I'd say it's deadly enough. For most people getting hit in combat equals taking an injury of some sort. Most people are at 2D to resist... perhaps most characters might be at 3D. Average blaster damage is 4D (as per above); that leaves them taking 1-2D above their strength in damage, with random chance variance... it usually equals a wound or so. Take a couple hits and you're out.

Most of the characters, these days i see have 3d str, +2d armor, for 5d... that is not even taking into account those barbel shock boxers, or wookies wearing power armor.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Most of the characters, these days i see have 3d str, +2d armor, for 5d... that is not even taking into account those barbel shock boxers, or wookies wearing power armor.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Everyone's a bounty hunter, whether it fits their character concept or not.
Of course, in general the Star Wars universe, very few wear armour and most are not particularly strong; which is the setting the game is designed around. Blaster and weapon damages are geared towards the targets that they'd be used against, fairly average people... average people are at 2D strength. I'd say the failing is primarily in those statting and equipping their characters and a system that isn't designed to deal with abuse very well, which, I suppose is a failing of the system.
Perhaps armour should be a little less desirable to wear; I mean, you probably wouldn't want to pilot a ship in it due to things like cockpit space and armour bulk... chances are people in the street wouldn't react terribly positively to people wearing armour (wearing armour demonstrates an intent to require it... which means they're prone to violence, causing it or receiving), etc. If you think about it, who are most likely to be wearing armour? Bounty Hunters and military/police personnel... people don't tend to be at ease around these types of people when they're armed and armoured...
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top ten things I do to prevent PCs from overdoing it with heavy armor:

Use some, none or all according to your campaign:

1> Don't make the PCs need armor too often.

2> Make armor penalties stack, a blast vest only covers your chest.

3> For GM invented armor, the better the armor, the worse the penalties.

4> Never give an NPC something you wouldn't want the group to have.

5> Use armor damage rules and make the PCs pay for armor maintenance.

6> Enforce the law. Armor or weapons above a blast vest and a sporting blaster require registration and permits.

7> Make the public in general distrustful of those wearing heavy armor for the reasons stated in previous posts.

8> Make helmets come seperately. Remember #2 above.

9> Use called shots more often on PCs wearing heavy armor, or use them exclusively on those wearing heavy armor.

10> Make some jealous criminal types come after the PCs for their heavy armor.

After reading the comments posted here, I think combat is indeed deadly enough. None of my group are munchkins and none of them have any armor better than a blast vest. Plus, using the above guidelines I should be able to discourage heavy armor for all but the real necessities (taking part in a major battle, for example).

Scott
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor built for a Wookiee should cost a LOT more than normal. And it should be extremely uncomfortable for the walking carpet to wear.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my personal fave way to neuter armor..

Use called shots TO THE armor itself' especially powered armor. Take out the power generator, and they are stuck in a tin can.
Aardon24689
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
Top ten things I do to prevent PCs from overdoing it with heavy armor:

Use some, none or all according to your campaign:

1> Don't make the PCs need armor too often.

2> Make armor penalties stack, a blast vest only covers your chest.

3> For GM invented armor, the better the armor, the worse the penalties.

4> Never give an NPC something you wouldn't want the group to have.

5> Use armor damage rules and make the PCs pay for armor maintenance.

6> Enforce the law. Armor or weapons above a blast vest and a sporting blaster require registration and permits.

7> Make the public in general distrustful of those wearing heavy armor for the reasons stated in previous posts.

8> Make helmets come seperately. Remember #2 above.

9> Use called shots more often on PCs wearing heavy armor, or use them exclusively on those wearing heavy armor.

10> Make some jealous criminal types come after the PCs for their heavy armor.

After reading the comments posted here, I think combat is indeed deadly enough. None of my group are munchkins and none of them have any armor better than a blast vest. Plus, using the above guidelines I should be able to discourage heavy armor for all but the real necessities (taking part in a major battle, for example).

Scott

Personally I like heavy or cool armor. I think it can be appropriate to have, but there are some severe restrictions. No you can't wear Heavy Combat armor walking around the public city without some issues coming up. Also, every time Armor does protect you, it is getting hit and gets damaged. Just like a motorcycle helmet is only made for one good hit. I think all your points are right on actually.

Once in the past we had a Paladin that would never take off his armor. He didn't have any other chothes. Which is fine in some campaigns but we were trying to be a little more realistic in this one. We had to swim across a river, he wouldn't leave his armor, failed all his swimming checks because of the penalties and weight. Couldn't get his armor off fast enough and as far as I know his corpse is still hanging out at the bottom of the river.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say Ion gun? Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that once... hit someone wearing juggernaught armor with a DEMP grenade..
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I did that once... hit someone wearing juggernaught armor with a DEMP grenade..

"Oil can....." Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: