The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back through and made a couple changes:

-The Damage Reduction Formulas base on the degree of Miss, so I reversed the wording to put the Miss value at the beginning of the Formula. That way, you don't have to read the formula back-to-front.

-Added a bit of tech about how modern artillery units can track their shells on radar while in flight and make adjustments for any deviations that are detected.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's my take on your AT-HP...

AT-HP

The AT-HP is a prototype walker for the Imperial Army. Configured as a mobile artillery vehicle, this six-legged monster has been dubbed "the Titan" by its test crews. Its most prominent feature is the turret housing the AT-HP's primary weapon: three heavy mass driver cannon, capable of hurling an explosive projectile up to twenty kilometers away. The walker is also equipped with an array of defensive weaponry, as well as a detachment of Viper Probe Droids for reconnaissance and target designation duties. Initial testing has shown the AT-HP to be a formidable stand-alone artillery platform, capable of maintaining a sustained artillery barrage while defending itself against a variety of threats. Ironically, this versatility may be what ultimately keep the AT-HP out of regular Imperial service, as Imperial Army doctrine is focusing more and more on single purpose vehicles integrated with each other to form multi-role combat formations.

Craft: KDY's All-Terrain Howitzer Platform
Type: Mobile Artillery Walker
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Length: 27 meters
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-HP
Crew: 4 (2 @ +10) & 15 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Sensors 5D
Vehicle Blasters 5D+1
Artillery 6D
Walker Operation 5D
Passengers: 4 Viper Probe Droids (used as scouts and spotters)
Cargo Capacity: 1.5 metric tons
Cover: Full
Cost: Not Available For Sale (Experimental Prototype)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 16; 45 kph
Altitude Range: Ground Level only
Body: 4D+1
Sensors:
Passive 2km (10km) / 1D
Scan 4km (20km) / 2D
Search 6km (30km) / 3D
Focus 200m / 4D
Weapons:
3 Mass-Driver Cannon (Linked or Separate)
Fire Arc: Front (Turret when Stabilized Locking Suspension engaged; see below)
Crew: 3 each
Skill: Artillery
Fire Control: 3D
Range: 500m-5km/10km/20km (Can not shoot at targets in Point-Blank Range)
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: Varies by Ordnance Type (See Below)
Ammo: 120
Special: Because of their configuration, the cannon must fire at the same target, but can vary how they are linked. This is particularly useful when firing two or more types of rounds, such as using two barrels to fire Proton Shells while reserving the third to fire Flare Clusters or Baffler Shells. If two barrels are fire-linked together, they receive a +1D Coordination Bonus. If all three barrels are fire-linked, they receive a +1D+2 Coordination Bonus.
2 Auto-Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left/Right, 1 Rear/Left/Right
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Crew: 1
Skill: Gunnery
Fire Control: 4D (+2D with Sensor Lock-On)
Range: 100m-800m/2.5km/4km
Rate of Fire: 2D Auto-Fire
Damage: 3D
4 Light Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear/Left, 1 Rear/Right
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Range: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km
Damage: 5D
Ordnance Types: The AT-HP may fire any of the Common Artillery Warhead types, and also has access to the following:
    Seeker
    Damage: 6D
    Damage Reduction: Standard (Every -1 Miss = -1D Damage)
    Special: +4D to Fire Control if Target is using Active Sensors or transmitting on Comms.

Guided
    Damage: 8D
    Damage Reduction: Point (Every -1 Miss = -2D Damage)
    Special: +4D to Fire Control if Target is being "painted" by an Active Sensor Lock-On from an allied unit.

Shield Buster
    Damage: 4D (ionization)
    Special: On a successful hit on a Shield, roll Damage against just the Shield Dice, then apply the Controls Ionized modified to the Shield Strength.

Haywire (ECM)
    Effect: -4D to Sensors and Communications in affected area.
    Effect Reduction: Every -5 Miss = -1D to Penalty
    Duration: Lasts 1 Minute (12 rounds)

Special Equipment:
Stabilized Locking Suspension
The AT-HP can only fire its mass driver cannon in the Front Fire Arc while moving. When preparing to fire, the walker positions its legs to provide maximum stability when firing, and then adjusts to compensate for recoil between shots. This system requires 2 rounds to activate, and the walker can not move while it is engaged, but receives a +1D bonus to Fire Control due to the added stability. When in this mode, the Mass Driver's Fire Arc is Turret, and requires 1 round to shift to an Adjacent Fire Arc (and 2 rounds to shift to the Opposite Arc).
What I Changed, and Why:
    -I gave it 4 Viper Probe Droids to use as mobile target designation units. To me, this makes it feel more Star Warsy by providing a visual connection to the films, and also gives PCs a foe they can fight at close range that will have a definite effect on how the artillery can target them. I'm going to re-vamp the stats on the Viper to give it a more standardized Sensor System that fits with my Sensor Lock-On Rules.

-Adjust the Body and Move per our earlier discussions. I'd prefer to give it 0D of Maneuverability, but I decided I'd leave that for you.

-Changed the Mass Drivers from Turret to Front only, while still having the ability to steer within that arc.

-Changed your PAK modules into Auto-Blasters. Under my system, these are the best available anti-aircraft cannon, which includes the counter-artillery ability. I figure one is mounted on each end, with the front defending the forward arc from both air attack and counter-battery artillery, while the rear covers the other three arcs.

-Changed the defense weapon to Blaster Cannon, then allowed each one to fire into two arcs, for better defensive coverage.

-Wrote up stat ideas for the specialty rounds you suggested on the AT-HP stats posted on the Holocron, as well as some of our earlier discussions. The only one I didn' do was the minefield. I have some ideas for that, but I'm not quite sure how I want to work it yet.

Disclaimer: May not be a Comprehensive List.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:30 am; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my re-write of the Arakyd. The Sensor Array allows it to serve as a Target Designator (the -2D option under Fire Control), and I added some minor stealth mods to make it good at sneaking around under cover to spot targets.

Type: Arakyd Viper Probe Droid
Scale: Character
Height: 1.6 meters tall
Attributes & Skills:
    DEXTERITY 3D
    Blaster 4D
    KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
    Planetary Systems 4D
    MECHANICAL 3D
    Communications 4D
    Sensors 6D
    PERCEPTION 3D
    Search 6D
    Sneak 5D
    STRENGTH 4D
    TECHNICAL 2D+1
Move: 14 (3D+2 Walk)
Equipment:
    SENSOR ARRAY
    Passive 1D / 1km
    Scan 2D / 2km
    Search 3D / 3km
    Focus 4D / 100m
    Special: Lock-On Mode (must make a successful Sensor Focus on a target). When in use, friendly units may make use of any Lock-On bonuses to Fire Control. However, while designating, the probe droid is Located on enemy sensors, and may be attacked.

SHORT-RANGE SENSORS
    Negates up to 2D of Cover Modifiers to Search

ENVIRONMENTAL SENSORS
    Can determine Atmosphere Type and Temperature Range within one-half hour.

STEALTH SYSTEMS
    +1D to Sneak
    -1D to Enemy Sensors

BLASTER (Equivalent to a Blaster Rifle)
    Range: 3-30/100/300

SELF-DESTRUCT
    Blast Radius: 0-2/4/6/10
    Damage: 5D/4D/3D/2D

GENERAL:
    -Repulsorlift Propulsion
    -Retractable Manipulator Arms
    -Retractable Sensor Arms for gathering samples.

House Rule Notes:
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 2D Walk

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thought before bed...

While I deliberately left out exact distances on the blast radius rules, it's still possible to use the Grenade Scatter Diagram to determine direction of deviation. I see several scenarios:

-Trying to place an Artillery Delivered Minefield in the character's path of travel. Use 1 as their direction of travel, then roll 1D to see if the minefield still ends up in their path - just closer or further away than you intended - or off to one side or the other.

-Trying to position a Baffler smoke cloud between allied units and enemies. Put 1 and 4 on the line between the two and roll 1D to determine where it falls on the line between the two.

-Trying to position a Flare Cluster over the targets, with 4 being the direction of the gun, so that PCs know which way they have to run to get out of the light.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, based on some rough calculations from real-world artillery, I think it’s possible to generate scatter distances based on degree of miss.

Speeder-Scale: -1 Miss = 2 meters
Starship & Walker-Scale: -1 Miss = 10 meters
Frigate-Scale: -1 Miss = 25 meters
Destroyer-Scale: -1 Miss = 50 meters

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay, here's my take on your AT-HP...

AT-HP

The AT-HP is a prototype walker for the Imperial Army. Configured as a mobile artillery vehicle, this six-legged monster has been dubbed "the Titan" by its test crews. Its most prominent feature is the turret housing the AT-HP's primary weapon: three heavy mass driver cannon, capable of hurling an explosive projectile up to twenty kilometers away. The walker is also equipped with an array of defensive weaponry, as well as a detachment of Viper Probe Droids for reconnaissance and target designation duties. Initial testing has shown the AT-HP to be a formidable stand-alone artillery platform, capable of maintaining a sustained artillery barrage while defending itself against a variety of threats. Ironically, this versatility may be what ultimately keep the AT-HP out of regular Imperial service, as Imperial Army doctrine is focusing more and more on single purpose vehicles integrated with each other to form multi-role combat formations.

Craft: KDY's All-Terrain Howitzer Platform
Type: Mobile Artillery Walker
Scale: Walker (+8D)
Length: 27 meters
Skill: Walker Operation: AT-HP
Crew: 4 (2 @ +10) & 15 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Sensors 5D
Vehicle Blasters 5D+1
Artillery 6D
Walker Operation 5D
Passengers: 4 Viper Probe Droids (used as scouts and spotters)
Cargo Capacity: 1.5 metric tons
Cover: Full
Cost: Not Available For Sale (Experimental Prototype)
Maneuverability: 1D
Move: 16; 45 kph
Altitude Range: Ground Level only
Body: 4D+1
Sensors:
Passive 2km (10km) / 1D
Scan 4km (20km) / 2D
Search 6km (30km) / 3D
Focus 200m / 4D
Weapons:
3 Mass-Driver Cannon (Linked or Separate)
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 3 each
Skill: Artillery
Range: 500m-5km/10km/20km (Can not shoot at targets in Point-Blank Range)
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: Varies by Ordnance Type (See Below)
Ammo: 120
Special: Because of their configuration, the cannon must fire at the same target, but can vary how they are linked. This is particularly useful when firing two or more types of rounds, such as using two barrels to fire Proton Shells while reserving the third to fire Flare Clusters or Baffler Shells. If two barrels are fire-linked together, they receive a +1D Coordination Bonus. If all three barrels are fire-linked, they receive a +1D+2 Coordination Bonus.
2 Auto-Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left/Right, 1 Rear/Left/Right
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Fire Control: 4D (+2D with Sensor Lock-On)
Range: 100m-800m/2.5km/4km
Damage: 3D
4 Light Blaster Cannon
Fire Arc: 1 Front/Left, 1 Front/Right, 1 Rear/Left, 1 Rear/Right
Scale: Speeder (+4D)
Range: 100m-300m/800m/1.5km
Ordnance Types: The AT-HP may fire any of the Common Artillery Warhead types, and also has access to the following:
    Seeker
    Damage: 6D
    Damage Reduction: Standard (Every -1 Miss = -1D Damage)
    Special: +4D to Fire Control if Target is using Active Sensors or transmitting on Comms.

Guided
    Damage: 8D
    Special: +4D to Fire Control if Target is being "painted" by an Active Sensor Lock-On from an allied unit.

Shield Buster
    Damage: 4D (ionization)
    Special: On a successful hit on a Shield, roll Damage against just the Shield Dice, then apply the Controls Ionized modified to the Shield Strength.

Haywire (ECM)
    Effect: -4D to Sensors and Communications in affected area.
    Effect Reduction: Every -5 Miss = -1D to Penalty
    Duration: Lasts 1 Minute (12 rounds)

Special Equipment:
Stabilized Locking Suspension
The AT-HP can not fire its mass driver cannon while moving. When preparing to fire, the walker positions its legs to provide maximum stability when firing, and then adjusts to compensate for recoil between shots. This system requires 2 rounds to activate, and the walker can not move while it is engaged, but receives a +1D bonus to Fire Control due to the added stability.

I am liking this re-write..

CRMcNeill wrote:

What I Changed, and Why:
    -I gave it 4 Viper Probe Droids to use as mobile target designation units. To me, this makes it feel more Star Warsy by providing a visual connection to the films, and also gives PCs a foe they can fight at close range that will have a definite effect on how the artillery can target them. I'm going to re-vamp the stats on the Viper to give it a more standardized Sensor System that fits with my Sensor Lock-On Rules.

How's about making it 4 probots, or 4 scout bikers, or any combination there of?

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Adjust the Body and Move per our earlier discussions. I'd prefer to give it 0D of Maneuverability, but I decided I'd leave that for you.

I noticed. I actually like the hull improvement.

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Changed the Mass Drivers from Turret to Front only, while still having the ability to steer within that arc.

I'd have preferred it if it was left turret, but with the requirement "Shifting the turret by one arc, takes a full round" or something like that.

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Changed your PAK modules into Auto-Blasters. Under my system, these are the best available anti-aircraft cannon, which includes the counter-artillery ability. I figure one is mounted on each end, with the front defending the forward arc from both air attack and counter-battery artillery, while the rear covers the other three arcs.

Fare enough..

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Changed the defense weapon to Blaster Cannon, then allowed each one to fire into two arcs, for better defensive coverage.

Are they over or 'under' the hull, so as to be abel to target troops that get in close?

CRMcNeill wrote:

-Wrote up stat ideas for the specialty rounds you suggested on the AT-HP stats posted on the Holocron, as well as some of our earlier discussions. The only one I didn' do was the minefield. I have some ideas for that, but I'm not quite sure how I want to work it yet.

Disclaimer: May not be a Comprehensive List.

It's good as is.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How's about making it 4 probots, or 4 scout bikers, or any combination there of?

The problem is that the Probots are roughly the same size as a human, so a scout with a speeder bike is going to take up at least twice as much room as a Probot. I did consider giving it a small troop-bay with room for a squad or a 5-man lance of biker scouts, but decided that ammo storage was more important, especially with all the other defensive weaponry.

And since scouts can "rough it", you could just as easily assign a few scouts to accompany it...

Quote:
I'd have preferred it if it was left turret, but with the requirement "Shifting the turret by one arc, takes a full round" or something like that.

In the real world, even mobile, turreted artillery still has a limited fire arc, due to the recoil forces involved. The stabilization systems are limited to absorbing front-to-back recoil, so I figured the same would apply here. And when you're shooting at targets 10-20 kilometers away, you aren't really going to need a whole lot of traverse. If a target does manage to get out of the front fire arc, the walker can just unlock the suspension, turn in place, lock down again and keep firing.

If you want it to be a turret, though, I can see that working as well. Six legs in a wide stance could conceivably provide sufficient recoil absorption in all directions to make it workable.

Quote:
Are they over or 'under' the hull, so as to be able to target troops that get in close?

Under. If the hull is roughly rectangular in shape, I picture one cannon at the lower edge of each "corner", with a wide enough fire arc that, even if the target is under the walker, at least two of them can be brought to bear.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The problem is that the Probots are roughly the same size as a human, so a scout with a speeder bike is going to take up at least twice as much room as a Probot. I did consider giving it a small troop-bay with room for a squad or a 5-man lance of biker scouts, but decided that ammo storage was more important, especially with all the other defensive weaponry.

I've always envisioned the probot being a little bigger, like what we saw in ESB.. But i do understand the 'the scouts would take up more space', because i forgot their bike..
So how's about "4 pro-bots OR 2 biker scouts."

CRMcNeill wrote:
If you want it to be a turret, though, I can see that working as well. Six legs in a wide stance could conceivably provide sufficient recoil absorption in all directions to make it workable.

Hence why when i wrote it up, i designed it as a 6-leg walker.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Under. If the hull is roughly rectangular in shape, I picture one cannon at the lower edge of each "corner", with a wide enough fire arc that, even if the target is under the walker, at least two of them can be brought to bear.

Copy..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So how's about "4 pro-bots OR 2 biker scouts."

Depends how you picture it. I was thinking the probots were in dedicated charging ports and dropped out of hatches in the underside. If you're thinking of putting them in a more general bay, I might as well just give it a generic squad bay on the back end, so that way you can put probe droids, biker scouts or dismounted scout/snipers in it.

EDIT: The problem is, from a logistical standpoint, this thing already has close to 20 crew onboard, counting gunners. If you put 5-10 additional troopers on board, especially for missions more than a few days in length, you start cutting into onboard supplies, overcrowding crew rest areas, and so on and so forth. Droids don't have that problem.

Quote:
Hence why when i wrote it up, i designed it as a 6-leg walker.

That works. I'll go back and change it. How about "Requires 1 round to shift aim to an adjacent arc and 2 rounds to shift aim to the opposite arc"?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

EDIT: The problem is, from a logistical standpoint, this thing already has close to 20 crew onboard, counting gunners. If you put 5-10 additional troopers on board, especially for missions more than a few days in length, you start cutting into onboard supplies, overcrowding crew rest areas, and so on and so forth. Droids don't have that problem.

Yea, i didn't even think of that angle.. So i guess the 4 probots are good..

CRMcNeill wrote:

That works. I'll go back and change it. How about "Requires 1 round to shift aim to an adjacent arc and 2 rounds to shift aim to the opposite arc"?

That works for me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g, I'm thinking my (A) Marksman skill could also be applied to artillery. That way, even with a Long Range of 20 kilometers, a skilled gunner could conceivably land shots out even further.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that. IRL there are weapon's crews who because of how skilled they were with their artillery pieces, were better able to put shot on targets..

However, i'd limit any range increase to dbl what long range is..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
However, i'd limit any range increase to dbl what long range is..

I think, if I were to go with your idea on the other topic (or at least some variation of it), I'd go with an open-ended system. That allows Extreme Range to stay relatively limited, while still leaving open the possibility of insanely long range shots by spending a Force Point.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, no matter how outstanding you are, you can't get more range out of a weapon, than it's designed for. So to ME double long range, is MORE than adequate to represent that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Thing is, no matter how outstanding you are, you can't get more range out of a weapon, than it's designed for. So to ME double long range, is MORE than adequate to represent that.

I'm going to continue this over in the other topic...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: