The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
garhkal wrote:
incendiary (smallest blast radi, and burns each round..)

Incendiary rounds set for airburst would have a wider area of effect.

And if nothing else, can scare the living pants of those beneath it!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:

The M734 Multi-Option Fuze is a rangefinder and collision detection system used on 60mm, 81mm, and 120mm mortar shells as a trigger to detonate the shells at the most damaging heights of burst

PRX = Proximity air burst between 3 and 13 feet

NSB = Near surface burst between 0 and 3 feet

IMP = Impact burst on contact. ( In the event an IMP setting fails, detonation is 1/2 seconds after impact. )

DLY = Delay after impact of 0.05 seconds in the fuze explosive train before the shell detonates

For the purposes of the game, I'd prefer to not get into the technical details of fusing if at all possible. and just assume each type of shell is fused for maximum effect based on what it does. I'm assuming incendiary and anti-personnel would be PRX, while the armor-piercing rounds would be set for DLY. I could see a general purpose HE round having a selectable fuse simply because it is a general purpose round...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

The M734 Multi-Option Fuze is a rangefinder and collision detection system used on 60mm, 81mm, and 120mm mortar shells as a trigger to detonate the shells at the most damaging heights of burst

PRX = Proximity air burst between 3 and 13 feet

NSB = Near surface burst between 0 and 3 feet

IMP = Impact burst on contact. ( In the event an IMP setting fails, detonation is 1/2 seconds after impact. )

DLY = Delay after impact of 0.05 seconds in the fuze explosive train before the shell detonates

For the purposes of the game, I'd prefer to not get into the technical details of fusing if at all possible. and just assume each type of shell is fused for maximum effect based on what it does. I'm assuming incendiary and anti-personnel would be PRX, while the armor-piercing rounds would be set for DLY. I could see a general purpose HE round having a selectable fuse simply because it is a general purpose round...

Sorry. I wasn't trying to bring fusing into complicate things so much as to point out that airbursts have a larger footprint than incendiary shells impacting the ground, and that even small mortars (40mm) have that capability.

Game mechanics I'd be happy with a a fixed detonation height, an area of effect, and diminishing damage from the center out.

I once saw a picture of an incendiary shell exploding over a test ship and the coverage was impressive.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Sorry. I wasn't trying to bring fusing into complicate things so much as to point out that airbursts have a larger footprint than incendiary shells impacting the ground, and that even small mortars (40mm) have that capability.

Gotcha, and good information to have.

Quote:
Game mechanics I'd be happy with a a fixed detonation height, an area of effect, and diminishing damage from the center out.

I once saw a picture of an incendiary shell exploding over a test ship and the coverage was impressive.

In the rules for Renegade Legion, artillery could also be used to level out terrain obstacles, such as using incendiary warheads to burn down a forest. This was actually used in Hammer's Slammers, as well, where artillery was used to start a path of forest fires to create avenues of egress for tanks that were hemmed in by minefields.

Creative application...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting discovery...

If you have a copy of the 2E Rulebook, check the sidebar in the lower right corner of page 66. I had completely forgotten this.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "If you need time to figure out the diff, don't. Just pick a # and wing it" rule?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The "If you need time to figure out the diff, don't. Just pick a # and wing it" rule?

No.

They suggest Scatter values for everything from character scale all the way up to CS orbital bombardment.

Which you'd know if you looked instead of just guessing. Twisted Evil

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses the following:
    Weapon Scale = Scatter Distance in Meters @ Short / Medium / Long
    Character = 1D / 2D / 3D
    Speeder/Walker = 1Dx10 / 2Dx10 / 3Dx10
    Starfighter = 1Dx25 / 2Dx25 / 1Dx100
    Capital Ship (in Atmosphere) = 1Dx100 / 2Dx100 / 3Dx100
    Capital Ship (from Orbit) = 1Dx1,000 / 2Dx1,000 / 3Dx1,000

So, except for Long on Starfighter, it uses the 1/2/3 progression I suggested above, but using dice rolls to generate the value rather than the gunner's To Hit roll.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g, have you ever played Renegade Legion?

They have a nifty little weapon there called a HELL bomb that sounds like a seismic charge on steroids. If the seismic charge uses a gravitic effect to transfer energy in vacuum, the HELL bomb generates a gravitic pulse so intense that it triggers an uncontrolled fusion reaction. Any unshielded buildings or terrain features are incinerated or turned into glass, exposed troops are killed in the fireball, and the gravitic pulse is intense enough that it disrupts the functioning of anti-grav drive vehicles, forcing them to bottom out or spin out of control.

Imagine if this is what the concussion missiles on capital ships actually did...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

No.

They suggest Scatter values for everything from character scale all the way up to CS orbital bombardment.

Which you'd know if you looked instead of just guessing. Twisted Evil

AH the base blue cover 2e book, not the R&E book.. Mistook what book you were on about.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposted, since you apparently didn't read it.

CRMcNeill wrote:

They have a nifty little weapon there called a HELL bomb that sounds like a seismic charge on steroids. If the seismic charge uses a gravitic effect to transfer energy in vacuum, the HELL bomb generates a gravitic pulse so intense that it triggers an uncontrolled fusion reaction. Any unshielded buildings or terrain features are incinerated or turned into glass, exposed troops are killed in the fireball, and the gravitic pulse is intense enough that it disrupts the functioning of anti-grav drive vehicles, forcing them to bottom out or spin out of control.

Imagine if this is what the concussion missiles on capital ships actually did...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEs i did read that hell bomb, but i just didn't respond to it..
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Of all the games I've played I always liked Renegade Legions combat the best. I really liked how different weapons/ammunition did different shapes of damage to vehicles/ships, and as a result depending on how the damage was incurred, different systems could be knocked out, or force the target to dodge to minimize damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
Of all the games I've played I always liked Renegade Legions combat the best. I really liked how different weapons/ammunition did different shapes of damage to vehicles/ships, and as a result depending on how the damage was incurred, different systems could be knocked out, or force the target to dodge to minimize damage.

I only just discovered it recently, but I'm seeing a lot of interesting possibilities. I don't think the armor system would port over to D6, but combined with something else posted recently, I've been mulling over the idea of giving vehicles and starships an armor rating of some kind. The RAW already includes rules on degrading the effectiveness of armor if the person wearing it takes damage, and I'm intrigued by the thought of, say, a ship being more vulnerable in one fire arc than another (due to either design limitations or combat damage).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, g, I did finally find an RPG that tracks power consumption: Renegade Legion Legionnaire. Way too crunchy for my tastes, but if that's what you're into...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: