The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Artillery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Artillery. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I added in the latter one as a 5th blast zone..

But why? The system has used four range brackets practically since the beginning, and it's what people are used to. Rather than add a 5th range bracket, I'd just play with the distances and percentages a little.

For example, a 10D Capital-Scale Turbolaser using the percentages I suggested above will still be inflicting 8D+2 Character-Scale damage even at the Long Bracket (40%). Instead of adding a 5th bracket, just drop the percentage to 10%, which comes out to 2D+1 Character-Scale. Then run the maximum distance on the blast radius out to an appropriate distance and, even at the Long Bracket, most characters are likely to survive, even if they are a little buffeted.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo its cause not everything has to be so streamlined to 4 blast zones...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
imo its cause not everything has to be so streamlined to 4 blast zones...

Yet, in this system, everything is. I'd prefer to work with the framework we are familiar with as opposed to making everyone who could potentially use this rule remember something new just for it.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the Clone Wars-era equipment was equipped with projectile weapons, including the AT-TE, AT-AP and UT-AT (although Wookieepedia identifies the UT-AT's cannon as a turbolaser turret, even though it is externally identical to the main gun on the AT-TE). Do you think these projectile cannon could also operate in an indirect fire mode?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yes. Any form of projectile artillery can operate in direct fire or indirect fire mode.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

Most ballistic artillery has a minimum range, in that it can't be used effectively against targets closer than a certain distance. For the purposes of SWU rules, I'm thinking of not allowing indirect fire weapons to fire at targets in the Point Blank range bracket. Projectile cannon with both direct and indirect fire capability can switch from one round type to another, but must spend a round reconfiguring and swapping out ammunition when doing so.

So, with only 3 range brackets to work with, the Scatter value would shift to 1/3/5 for Short / Medium / Long ranges. For simplicity's sake, I think I'll use those Scatter values as standard, then crunch the numbers for the Scale modifiers in combination with my earlier suggestion on ignoring Scale modifiers against smaller Scale targets.

I have the evening off tomorrow, so I'll be devoting some time to this.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point. Heck some such as mortars, even the 'short range' slot might have issues with timing of the shell before it arms..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, regarding the 1/3/5 scatter values, here is what I've got so far.

Assuming the following,
    Gunner Skill of 4D
    Fire Control of 2D
    Stationary Character-Scale Target
    The 2D=7 Bell Curve
    My Scale System
an artillery weapon can be expected to miss by the following values, depending on weapon scale and Short, Medium or Long Range.
    Dice Roll Results (Unmodified)

Speeder 3 / 8 / 13
      Starship 10 / 15 / 20
      Walker 17 / 22 / 27
      Frigate 24 / 29 / 34
      Destroyer 31 / 36 / 41

1/3/5 Scatter Modifier Results

Speeder 3 / 24 / 65
      Starship 10 / 45 / 100
      Walker 17 / 66 / 135
      Frigate 24 / 87 / 170
      Destroyer 31 / 108 / 205

1/2/3 Scatter Modifier Results

Speeder 3 / 16 / 39
      Starship 10 / 30 / 60
      Walker 17 / 44 / 81
      Frigate 24 / 58 / 102
      Destroyer 31 / 72 / 123

The Scatter Modifiers are the likely Distance in Meters by which the round missed.

This is a starting baseline for how accurate you want a weapon to be. To make it more accurate, either shift the FC or give it a larger or smaller blast radius. Naturally, as the scale of the target increases, so does the likelihood of a hit, but the target will, of course, be harder to damage. Also, this doesn't reflect any bonuses that might accrue from the use of a spotter or precision guided munitions, etc. etc.

It's also possible to use both sets of modifiers, with 1/3/5 used for Frigate and Destroyer Scale, and 1/2/3 used for Walker, Starship and Speeder.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice.. Maybe we should work with some of the others, on a new fan book, working on artillery and other mods you have worked up..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Looks nice.. Maybe we should work with some of the others, on a new fan book, working on artillery and other mods you have worked up..

We could, but I think we've got a ways to go first. I'd like to use the above lists to hammer out some good blast radii for artillery shells, and then come up with rules for specific kinds of shells to give the cannon-cockers some more variety to work with.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well based on my Mortar (the mark 82 thumper) and my AT-HP i have already wrote out stuff for
High Explosive-Anti Vehicular (HE-AV)
High Explosive-Anti-personnel
Groundball Scatter ( larger area AP)
Incendiary
High Explosive-Shrapnel scattering (greater AP)
HARM
LAMP (incendiary)
Indirect mine round..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a superconducting filament ground rod (SuFiGR)? Used to drain off energy from a shield or something?

Or even just disperse small spidermurderbots, like the Seppie Assassin probe. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin_probe
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both very good ideas. The murderbot dispenser sounds very Star Wars, as it's something we've seen before in the films and TV shows, plus it's artillery used in such a way that it can be opposed on an individual level apart from ducking and covering in a hole somewhere.

Step 1, though, will be establishing a baseline for accuracy. The numbers I generated above are analogous to Circular Error Probable ratings, so if we assume that the Scatter modifiers are accurate, we need to decide how big a blast radius a shell will have to offset the Scatter.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
How about a superconducting filament ground rod (SuFiGR)? Used to drain off energy from a shield or something?

Or even just disperse small spidermurderbots, like the Seppie Assassin probe. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Assassin_probe

Have you seen my rules for the new munition SDIP (Static discharge inducing particulate) missile?? Where a ship can be coated with lots of chaffe that's designed to make it a lightnening attractor?

That might work for that SuFiGR..

CRMcNeill wrote:

Step 1, though, will be establishing a baseline for accuracy. The numbers I generated above are analogous to Circular Error Probable ratings, so if we assume that the Scatter modifiers are accurate, we need to decide how big a blast radius a shell will have to offset the Scatter.

Well on those mortar shells i have
HE-AV as 0-3/6/9/12 for blast radi
HE-AP as 0-4/5-12-16
GBS as 0-6/12/18/24
and Incendiary as 0-3/6/10/15

For the AT-HP shells
HES is 0-5/10/15
HESS 0-6/12/15/20 (i am thinking of switching that to match the GBS)
HARR same as HES
LAMP 6/12/18
IAM has no blast radi for initial impact as they set up a mine field, but when they go boom, they have a blast radi of 0-3/5/8/12
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what I'm talking about is this...

I'm assuming your mortar is Speeder-Scale, so using the 1/2/3 Scatter Chart, your mortar can be expected to miss a Character-Scale target by a mean distance of 3 meters at Short Range, 16 meters at Medium Range and 39 meters at Long Range. However, now you factor in Blast Radius. Assuming you're using the AP round, with its 16 meter maximum, you are practically guaranteed a hit of some kind at Short Range, and a pretty good chance of one at Medium, while you will be hit-or-miss at Long Range.

The central question is, is that too accurate, just right, or not accurate enough?

Depending on which chart we settle on, Fire Control and Blast Radius will shift the deadliness of any given round, so we need to settle on a baseline, preferably some sort of general purpose HE round, and then from there, we can start tweaking stats to achieve specific results.

Personally, I'm leaning strongly toward the 1/2/3 chart, with weapon blast radii roughly around the same radius as the Medium Range Scatter value, but I'd like to crunch some numbers and see how that works out for target survivability.

However, even if a character is in the blast radius, the outer ring will only be inflicting around 2D damage, so most PCs should be fine apart from a bad roll.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: